• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Disconnected Feeling

Celia

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:49 PM
-->
So, there's this thing my mind does sometimes, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is or has experienced it. Basically, when I'm really tired, (like when I haven't slept for over a day) when I'm really, really stressed, or sometimes when I'm just generally unwell, my brain does this weird thing where it kind of feels like I get disconnected slightly from the outside world. Usually, it feels like I'm kind of disconnected from time itself, and from other people, and that everything is generally kind of weird. When I'm like this, I find that I can't communicate as well with other people, and that I can't pay as much attention to the outside world. (Like, I almost walked into a pole once because I was like this). It's like my sense of the normal world is slightly dulled and fuzzy, and like I am kind of disconnected from everything going on outside me. Anyways, it's weird, and I was wondering if anybody has any idea what this is or anything. Thanks!

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 11:49 PM
-->
Sounds like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

Patients who suffer from depersonalization also experience an almost uncontrollable urge to question and think about the nature of reality and existence as well as other deep philosophical questions.

Individuals who experience depersonalization can feel divorced from their own personal physicality by sensing their body sensations, feelings, emotions and behaviors as not belonging to the same person or identity.

Occasional moments of mild depersonalization are normal

Not saying you have anything of the sort, but if I've had a nickle each time a Dissociative disorder has popped up with INTP personalities, I'd have a hell of a lot of nickles.

But yes, as I like to think of it, we get too cerebral sometimes and become lost in our own heads for a bit.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 1:49 PM
-->
All the time. I used to do that really badly at university. It has gone away for the most part now.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 6:49 AM
-->
Celia said:
I was wondering if anybody has any idea what this is.

Um...

Celia said:
Basically, when I'm really tired, (like when I haven't slept for over a day) when I'm really, really stressed, or sometimes when I'm just generally unwell.

I don't mean to be obtuse, it's just that you seem to have already identified the likely cause. If you're experiencing it even when you're not tired, stressed or unwell then okay, but from the information given it seems like you already know what it is.

Celia

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't mean to be obtuse, it's just that you seem to have already identified the likely cause. If you're experiencing it even when you're not tired, stressed or unwell then okay, but from the information given it seems like you already know what it is.

Well, I know when it happens, and what seems to bring it on. But I do not, however, know WHY it happens, or what exactly it is that is happening, which is what I was wondering. So yes, I know what's going on, in that I understand that my brain does weird things when I'm tired and such, but I don't know what it is that it does to make that happen, or exactly why it is happening, or if what is happening is a common thing or if it's just me.

FlowerThug

Local time
Today 4:49 PM
-->
that feeling where you are just an observer inside the body, and everything that you do everything that you say everything that you see it's like you're seeing out if someone else's body, but still very familiar you know it's your body, the best way I can describe it..

it's as if that the timings of the world around you are slightly off of the timings of yourself, the world around you seems a little too slow or a little too fast, will like it was point it out it's because we're tired the internal clocks are out of sync, maybe

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
-->
Directed Attention Fatigue? ?

"There are measures that can be taken in order to reduce the impact of DAF. These include reducing the number of distractions present in one’s external environment, trying to clear one’s mind of any internal distractions and taking short breaks during prolonged periods of focus. Directed Attention Fatigue can be reduced by getting a sufficient amount of sleep each night because during sleep, inhibitory attention chemicals are replenished.[9] Aesthetic environment may also serve a restorative function in fostering recovery from mental fatigue. Research has shown that restorative experiences, such as clearing one's head and reflecting on one's life and priorities, may help combat Directed Attention Fatigue."

I get it all the time...insomniac here.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I think I get the state you're describing, I don't get it when Im around other people though, and when you exit the state it's like waking up for a second. I'm like: oh right I'm me a human on the planet tellus and I have a brother and sister etc.

I can never quite tell when I'm about to get into that state though and I never notice reaching it, in fact the moment I do notice it it vanishes. But it seems to happen frequently when I do the dishes or something else that's repititive and requires a fraction of your brainpower leaving the rest of the mind free to wander places.

FancyCorndog

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:49 PM
-->
It's pretty comforting to see someone else talking about this feeling. I've had mild bouts of it, often to do with relationships specifically. I really wanted to mention the one time that I experienced a severe case of disassociation though. I had smoked a bit of marijuana at a friend's house and it caused something like a panic attack. I had smoked before, and I didn't do anything drastic - a couple of hits. But the effect was that I hyperventilated, freaked out, and for a period of time which I cannot really nail down I felt like everyone (including myself) and all of the memories or perceptions I had with them were imaginary or something.

It felt a bit like waking up in the middle of a dream, not being fully awake, and not knowing for sure what is and is not. My friends just joked about it and thought I got really high and panicked, but this was definitely something else that was triggered. And I have experienced very mild bouts of it without any drugs being involved.

Nott

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:49 PM
-->
(Like, I almost walked into a pole once because I was like this)

I have walked into multiple poles, doors, walls, cars, mailboxes, people, dogs, anything really; so yes I get this disconnected feeling too. I always classified it as a Ti mechanism for coping with stress or non-ideal conditions, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Alex_

Local time
-->
Sometimes, specially when walking down the streets, I get so lost in my own thoughts I feel disconnected from my own body. I kind of dodge people automatically, crossing the streets require a second of attention and I'm back to my disconnected self. It's not like I can't see what's in front of me, but I barely pay any attention to it so it's as if I didn't see it. It's almost like in a dream where you can't really see what's in front of you but you can walk normally. One day when I snapped out of it I found myself looking at a street I've been at before, but from a different angle, and I had no idea where I was. I panic for a second and then proceeded to my destination.

Top Bottom