• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

The Childhood of a Leader (2015)

washti

kapo
Local time
Today, 15:38

If any of you watched this movie, I'm curious what do you think about the boy?

During discussion panel after film, it was concluded that the boy is psychotic and naturally evil. The panelists showed a lot of dislike for him. There were references to the present times about spoiled children who start to rule the home instead of parents. Audience commented that children should be sweet.

Nobody talked about emerging sexuality, lack of attention, imitation of parents behavior. A fatal marital relationship between them was defined as typical for that time and not at all (!) pathological. In no way panelists connected it with boy aggression.

There was also opinions that this movie is not about family but about war.

Panelists were professors of sociology (woman), philosophy (man) and two ladies were psychology doctors who actively work with children.

I felt very bad listening to these statements. In my opinion, the judgment of the twelve year old boy was devoid of any context. The next day I was talking with classmate (who didn't stay for panel) and he also claimed that the boy was psychotic.

It's quite strange because I felt strong empathy for the child. I actually still can't get why educated people uphold such brutal and unfair opinions about children. I wonder if it's just me or what.

CatGoddess

Local time
Today, 09:38
I have not seen the movie, but I think I agree with your point. Of course, I'm somewhat biased considering I'm 16 and therefore not yet out of my "childhood", but I do think people (nowadays?) are unfairly judgmental towards children. Apparently the book Catcher in the Rye used to be quite popular among high schoolers, but most people these days seem to despise the main character and judge him very harshly for his behavior (which stems from his brother's early death and his parents' emotional abandonment of him).

I can only speculate as to the cause of this; perhaps it makes people uncomfortable to realize that free will is only real up to a point? I.e. You are shaped by factors, especially those in childhood, that you can't control, and who you become obviously affects your behavior. And people don't want to acknowledge that, if their parents had been horrifically abusive, they probably wouldn't be as neurosis-free and "morally upstanding" as they are. They'd probably be more like the "troubled children" they condemn.

I might watch the movie (read: if I can torrent it), though; it seems interesting.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:08
"This chilling fable about the rise of fascism in the 20th Century tells the story of a young American boy living in France in 1918 whose father is working for the US government on the creation of the Treaty of Versailles. What he witnesses helps to mould his beliefs - and we witness the birth of a terrifying ego. Loosely inspired by the early childhood experiences of many of the great dictators of the 20th Century and infused with the same sense of dread as The Others and The Omen, The Childhood of a Leader is an ominous portrait of emerging evil. "

Having only read the wiki etc., if they thought he was naturally evil they were probably missing the point.

sushi

Local time
Today, 14:38
Napoleon?

Top Bottom