• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Team success forecast

vadim_ts

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:40 AM
-->
Hi everyone,

I am new here and hope to be at the right place to discuss about an idea!

I am very interested in MBTI and other psychological models. A couple of years ago I started to think whether it would be possible to simulate team behaviors based on the the characters of the individual team members using a software tool. I studied a lot of literature related to this topic and finally created a prototype / demonstrator tool, which is available at www.teamsim.de. The psychological model in background of this tool is "Four Temperaments", which is I believe, less complex and better suitable for the first version of the tool - just do discuss about the idea.

Has anyone already had such kind of ideas?

I would be very happy to discuss the idea and receive some feedback to the tool.

Thanks,
Vadim

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 11:40 AM
-->
MTBI should not be used for this, MTBI does not tell if you are good for a role nor if you will get along with someone.It suppose to be a self help tool or something to help you understand other people, not to actually make decisions based only on MTBI.
Even if MTBI was a good thing for that, people will answer the MTBI with the goal of getting a role/job(looking good), so they will just answer what they think you are looking for.

vadim_ts

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I also learned MBTI while attending on management and leadership trainings. The trainers taught us how to categorize other people in order to be able to predict their behavior when leading and motivating them.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
Today 4:40 AM
-->
"The trainers taught us how to categorize other people in order to be able to predict their behavior when leading and motivating them."

Ahhhh ... `management'. Suits.

Do you know the first myth of management?
That it EXISTS.

I've never met a suit who didn't presume I was motivated by the same bullshit THEY were.

The suits used to try to get an extra 5 hours of work out of us programmers with overtime-exempt status THEN try to get us to play golf, hang out at the country club, and drink martinis with THEM.
What motivated US was to work fewer hours and NOT have hang out in any way shape or form with the manipulative assholes.

Here's something to consider for anyone interested in `managing' others:
RSA ANIMATE: Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc"

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've heard that in the military, where a well-functioning team is literally vital, they never use "management" stuff. They let the troops organise themselves into a natural order.

But obviously, in corporations, where you have to keep the slaves in check until they either jump off a bridge or get sick because of repetitive-stress injuries, you have to impose some control top-down

Anyways, welcome to the forum :)

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:40 PM
-->
Bots are surprisingly articulate these days.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
Bots are surprisingly articulate these days.

Naw ... the bot's job was to insert the articulate boilerplate into every group assigned.
The boilerplate's author get's the credit for articulating the come-on.
The bot gets the credit for injecting it into any number of groups.

vadim_ts

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I myself have worked as software engineer for more than 12 years and know that companies always want to make their "slaves" as productive as possible. The approach of TeamSim is to create a better working environment in which people have less conflicts and more fun. The tool should forecast team performance and provide suggestions to the team leader how to create a pleasant working atmosphere. Of course the team performance will increase, but only because people have more fun.

The companies tend to exploit their employees and they will always succeed with this. But if someone is doing that with me, I would like to at least to have fun with that. How about you guys?

vadim_ts

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hi GPS, thanks for your the link with the video. I really like it.

The problem why people are not motivated is because some team leader just simply don't know about psychology and that different people needs different things to be inspired. One is motivated by creating meaning, the other one by higher salary, next one just wants to be left alone and so on. Many programmers are introverted and creative and seeking for meaning. But in companies you also have people working in marketing and sales departments, who are usually outward facing and rather interested in people and relationships. To create a pleasant working environment in a project with people from different departments is a big challenge.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:40 PM
-->
The director of ICT took me aside recently and with the best of intentions told me there's nowhere for me to go if I want to rise above my entry level IT support role, it's a small and fairly new department so there won't be any new roles for a while and there may not be anyone retiring for decades.

Personally I don't really care, I work to live, I don't live to work, my work isn't mentally stimulating so I get my stimulation from personal hobbies and projects, of course I didn't say that to him because he's my boss and you don't say that shit to your boss but that's how I feel.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
I ... know that companies always want to make their "slaves" as productive as possible.

I worked in Dilbert Land for longer than 12 paltry years.
And my epistemological grounding in personal experience finds me asserting that WANT and $5 will get you a -- perhaps small -- cuppa coffee somewhere.
I'm sure you can factor out the extraneous factor in that logical expression.

Suits WANT this and WANT that ... but they ARE suits not NT coders, analysts, sys ops and such.
Suits apply their would-be intelligence towards bean counting and mismanagement as per shit-for-brains cognitive biases they pick up like social diseases in their MBA courses.

I can't tell you how many times I found myself in a position where I could Either follow orders as per job-preserving slavish subordination XOR insubordinately further/promote what the dumb ass SUIT actually WANTED to accomplish.

The teams in Dilbert Land experientially-are as, if not MORE, obnoxious as those I found myself on/in while serving in the US Navy.
Sorry [MENTION]Serac[/MENTION]Serac, military teams suck even MORE than civilian teams BECAUSE one can't quit a bad team, bad branch, bad National `defense' bureaucracy, etc, ad nauseum ... not in the US of A. any way.

As far as I can tell the field which has the greatest chance of helping one wrap his or her mind around productive, effective, and/or not synergistic, `teams'/aggregates is Emergence.
Though Open-source and Free-software non-teams have produced better apps than corporate teams in a few cases via voluntacracy ...... my favorite app, GNU emacs, as a case in point.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
The problem why people are not motivated is because some team leader just simply don't know about psychology and that different people needs different things to be inspired.

Presupposing a `team' to begin with which allows one team member Orwellian Animal-Farmish more-equal Pig status.
In my 3-entity team of Me, Myself, and I we take turns manifesting Executive Functions
Others may be inconvenienced in figuring out which of us is manifesting the dominant personality, but `the team' works pretty well for most purposes.

One is motivated by creating meaning, the other one by higher salary, next one just wants to be left alone and so on.

Many programmers are introverted and creative and seeking for meaning.

But in companies you also have people working in marketing and sales departments, who are usually outward facing and rather interested in people and relationships.
To create a pleasant working environment in a project with people from different departments is a big challenge.

Agreed! Huge challenge.
I rarely experienced a `pleasant' enough working environment in work-for-hire settings.

Top Bottom