• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Take over the world syndrome

Fallenman

Local time
Today 5:10 AM
-->
Any of you guys have it? Is it a trait for INTP's to be ambitious? To want to change the world? It seems as if our personalities seem to be more of the type that likes to sit back and let things happen, but do we ever take initiative and make change? Think we'd make for terrible politicians? =P

The Lurker

fighting the power
Local time
Today 12:10 AM
-->
I realize I only speak for myself, but I think most INTPs are either too cynical or just don't care enough to really want to change the world; it would certainly be an...exhausting task. That said, it's not as if I don't ever have at least a small desire to do so, it's just that I lack the drive and initiative and have little interest in trying to sway the millions who'd stand stubbornly in my way. In this case I'd fit much better in an "executive officer" position as apposed to a commanding officer, that is, an adviser to someone with great drive and initiative and with similar if not identical goals.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Why change an imperfect world, when you can make your own perfect world, in your own head?

Thats why I write, draw, mould and breathe.

Obviously.

bloozie

/clear
Local time
Yesterday 10:10 PM
-->
I have ambitions to change the world. My vision is more along the lines of helping people and nothing about world domination or the likes. It's currently in process though, because right now, the major that I'm studying in college is hopefully going to help me out in changing the world.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:10 AM
-->
For me, I think it's correlated with how much I think I could make a difference. Which is not not much, so no, I don't feel the desire to put the planet under my feet as of yet.

I'd rather prefer to have as little to do with it as possible. But that's a rather hard thing to accomplish, so I adjust.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:10 AM
-->
I've tried to change the world. Didn't work.

Fallenman

Local time
-->
really? what went wrong?

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
I'm guessing it's the shortage of rockets, spaceships and generally useless underlings.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Any of you guys have it?

I've never had this ambition and it usually makes me want to roll my eyes. How naive do you have to be to think you can change or take over the world? I guess it's cool as something to consider and think about as a creative fanciful idea, but other than that, no.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
If the opportunity arises, yes. If not, I'll just watch TV.

I am also thinking of running for a position but I doubt that's enough power to take over the world.

Methuselah

tl;dr
Local time
-->
I realize I only speak for myself, but I think most INTPs are either too cynical or just don't care enough to really want to change the world; it would certainly be an...exhausting task. That said, it's not as if I don't ever have at least a small desire to do so, it's just that I lack the drive and initiative and have little interest in trying to sway the millions who'd stand stubbornly in my way. In this case I'd fit much better in an "executive officer" position as apposed to a commanding officer, that is, an adviser to someone with great drive and initiative and with similar if not identical goals.

Sometimes I think how I would change the world if I had superpowers. That'd be rad.

But I usually think of how I can change my world, aka establish personal wealth. I would much rather buy a massive ranch and live at the very center of it than be out trying to save other people from their own stupidity.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 11:10 PM
-->
YOU FOOLS

I have already taken over the world.

Did you think it got to suck this much all by itself?

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
I don't think INTP's could take over the world because it involves the two things we are most allergic to: work and bullshit.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
How come detroy the world wasn't an option in your inquiry?

It may not be something I fantasize about or work in any way toward but if I had a magic "turn the Earth into dust" button I would have pushed it long before most of you were born. How could I resist?

Thoughtful

Nom Nom Nommin' on Heaven's door
Local time
-->
I'm with InaBe, there's no point to taking over the world. too much work, too little reward. Once you had it you'd have to keep killing off everyone else who wanted it. Destroying it on the other hand, ought to be much easier, and you're certain to have the last laugh.

I've no ambition to try it however, I imagine life would be pretty boring without anyone else to chat with occasionally.

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
That's why you have to take your time destroying it.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Thats why I write, draw, mould and breathe.Obviously.

Did...did Melkor just admit to being moldy?

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't particularly wish to take over the world. Screw responsibility.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
I've often just thought up creative ways to either become wealthy enough to be largely unaffected by the show, or to just bounce in and give people a hard time. There was a concept a friend and I came up with some time ago, that involved creating a high tech engineering/hard science company whose sole purpose was to both devise and ideate the "just in time" solutions for a variety of sudden, pressing problems. It would basically be a series of agencies that would attempt unity across varied states/industries through these 'random threats'. I don't know about serious attempts, though. To those who would save the world? From what? Humans are hardwired to survive, and the "threat" as well as threats to that survival are not things you simply force transcendence from in the name of rescuing the underdogs. For the takeover types, then what? How would you ensure your vision? Why is it worth it, when you can, with such wit and resources, easily just sit back and enjoy yourself?

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Whoa, the whole world?

Honestly, I'd be happy just to change a few things/lives. Although I suppose it's possible to change more than you meant to with an invention, if it takes off. Really though, I get this feeling of profound satisfaction whenever I think I've made one person smile/laugh/etc. that to have an effect on millions would be overwhelming. I'd probably let someone else take the credit for me.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Why in the world would I want to change the world? I don't really have a good chance at succeeding if I tried. I'd jump at the chance of helping change the world if someone has a viable solution, but there's no way I'd take it on single-handedly.

I definitely have ambition, but it's on a personal level. I don't want to change the world, I want to realize my potential. I can also be very driven to complete relatively mundane tasks when I see how it fits in with my overall plans. And yes, I am an INTP. I just happen to be driven.

Fallenman

Local time
-->
Well I didn't so much mean really take over the world, I think it would be pretty impressive if ANYONE did, I just started with just about as far as you can go in this world and worked my way down. I want to reach my full potential, and I hope that my full potential involves changing the world in some significant way. I don't want to die only to have meant nothing. I want to be remembered as having been a significant part of this world.

BitRogue

Local time
-->
Well I didn't so much mean really take over the world, I think it would be pretty impressive if ANYONE did, I just started with just about as far as you can go in this world and worked my way down. I want to reach my full potential, and I hope that my full potential involves changing the world in some significant way. I don't want to die only to have meant nothing. I want to be remembered as having been a significant part of this world.

I get what you're saying. For me, not the whole world, no. And maybe not so much change as either add to or make a difference in areas I feel that I can add value. I sit on that balance where I am about as equally logical as I am creative. Currently I am doing a job where I am making a difference to my team but it is still just a job which demands that logical part of my mind and does not address my creative side in the slightest. I feel I am missing so much potential in other areas that I am feeling that I am not really getting much enjoyment out of life at the end of the day.

I have this desire to create things and give back to the world, but I am held back by the fact that I actually have to deal with human beings and useless restrictive systems put in place by human beings that endeavour to stifle creativity.

I am also finding the motivation to actually work on these ideas to be a bit difficult to come by so I have started on quite a few things with all good intentions and then just seem to run out of steam.

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->

I agree with this. I would like to contribute new ideas, concepts, theories, etc to the world, and let changes stem from such. I don't desire to dominate the world/humanity (that would be way too many lives to take into consideration, and the responsibility would be tiresome) though, I do want to be remembered, I do want to mean something for the time of existence I have here. Though, even if you weren't remembered, you can't have meant nothing to be here, as then you wouldn't be nessesary to the universe, and therefore you wouldn't exist. {Perhaps}. Though, I do want to do something, or else, I'm not so sure if my life will feel complete/fulfilled (though, I do have a long ways to go in the perspective of most people)

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
The concept appeals to me, but in practice it would be far too big a task to stay motivated for. I don't think I'm alone in my extreme dispassion.

However, before making a change, one must surely determine the change one feels should take place, which is already beyond my capabilities as far as I'm concerned. The way I see it, if one does not know all relevant information it is impossible to make a sound decision, i.e. for the "greater good". At the same time I think it is probably impossible to know all relevant information, for that entails virtually all knowledge in some way. Even if it were possible, as a human I doubt that it's possible to make an uncoerced decision.

On the other hand, perhaps an objectively correct decision is an unobtainable goal, in which case my being a leader would involve being far too aware my own fallibility. Unless society were to evolve (or perhaps, devolve?) massively I'm not sure how such a leader could, well, lead, as today the role of a leader seems to focus on passion and rallying people, which is extremely alien and undesirable to me.

the internet

the internet
Local time
-->
"In my field, I see these people..oh, sorry... coming to it with big idealist visions of becoming the new leader that will create a better world.They enjoy the goal,but not the process! But the reality of it is that the true work of improving things is in the little achievements of the day. And that's what you need to enjoy, just take my field. Well, for example, I was working for this organization that helped villages in Mexico. And their concerns was how to get the pencils sent to the kid in these little country schools. It was not about big revolutionary ideas, it was about pencils! I see the people that do the real work and what's really sad, in a way, is that...the people that are the most giving, hard working and capable of making this world better, usually don't have the ego and ambition to be a leader. They don't see the interest,in superficial rewards, they don't care if their name, ever appear in the press,they actually enjoy the process of helping others,they're in the moment! "

An interestingly related quote from one of my favorite movies

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:10 PM
-->
Sometimes the clockwork wants out, but I'm afraid.

A lot of my personality is the result of fear, I'm an incredibly anxious person... I really ought to go skydiving or something, desensitize myself a little bit. Because there's nothing out there I can't do, nothing's impossible, and I have a vision of how the world should be, of the kind of person it would take to lead it.

But that's insane, nobody could live like that, not for long.
Could they? Could I?

:phear:

Great wo/men are driven by great needs, they do great things because they don't have a choice, they're driven mad by an insatiable psychological hunger... maybe I'm just too content.

KazeCraven

crazy raven
Local time
-->
The concept appeals to me, but in practice it would be far too big a task to stay motivated for. I don't think I'm alone in my extreme dispassion.

However, before making a change, one must surely determine the change one feels should take place, which is already beyond my capabilities as far as I'm concerned. The way I see it, if one does not know all relevant information it is impossible to make a sound decision, i.e. for the "greater good". At the same time I think it is probably impossible to know all relevant information, for that entails virtually all knowledge in some way. Even if it were possible, as a human I doubt that it's possible to make an uncoerced decision.

On the other hand, perhaps an objectively correct decision is an unobtainable goal, in which case my being a leader would involve being far too aware my own fallibility. Unless society were to evolve (or perhaps, devolve?) massively I'm not sure how such a leader could, well, lead, as today the role of a leader seems to focus on passion and rallying people, which is extremely alien and undesirable to me.

I mostly agree, especially with the fallibility and ineffectiveness of of actually leading a society. Whenever I think of 'taking over the world' I think of Gail Wynand, who had great influence only so long as he gave the people what they wanted to hear. Such a person is no more than a figurehead.

The only thing I want to do is to be an example of the 'ideal citizen' which for me means a version of self-actualization, though more focused on creation and discovery rather than on helping people.

Also, I think it would be much more likely for an INTP to write a manual on how to take over the world rather than actually do it.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Never wanted to leave a mark.

Always just hoped to get a few laughs out of the whole living experience before it ends.

jzono1

Local time
-->
Being the supreme ruler of the world would be interesting. There's really nothing wrong with being a dictator if you do the job right - and many INTP's are capable of it.

Looking realisticly at the world tho - I have to acknowledge the fact that I know enough to be aware of the fact that no matter what I do I won't change enough of the world for it to matter.

dreamoftheunknown

Blackcloak
Local time
-->
Any of you guys have it? Is it a trait for INTP's to be ambitious? To want to change the world? It seems as if our personalities seem to be more of the type that likes to sit back and let things happen, but do we ever take initiative and make change? Think we'd make for terrible politicians? =P

I've always wondered why anyone would want to take over the world. To me, it always sounded like too much of a hassle. You have to build up a massive amount of strength to do it, then you have to do it, and then you have to keep it. And really, what do you get for it? The responsibility for 7 billion people. Good job. Besides, even if you do manage to take over the world and hang onto it, you can't live forever. So, what do you do? You leave it to someone who almost certainly will not possess the brains and the strength to hang onto it and will likely lose it making your effort a complete waste. Great job.

Goethe

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I think they'd satisfied with understanding the world. For an INTP, comprehension = conquest.

This kind of ambition is something that comes with a 'God Complex', intense emotions, strong ideals - I think it's more INFJ territory.

Agent of Chaos

The one you were warned about
Local time
-->
I found this page and thought I'd share it with everyone:
http://www.xeromag.com/fun/personality.html

Not your typical personality types

As you probably already know, the Jungian personality sorters are intended to be a general, universal personality ID that divides people into one of sixteen distinct personality types, along axes if introverted (I) or extroverted (E), Sensing (S) or Intuitive (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).
Now, there are many places which will tell you what this all means, but none of them are quite as...relevant to today's modern civilization as this one...

LMAO......:evil:

arxitektov

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm surprised that the collective INTP hasn't yet thought of a way to overtake the world...yet. I hope I/We can change that. Think about the resources we have right at our fingertips, and about the items below:
1. Ourselves and our devices (the world left us those two things).
2. Incredible observation skills.
3. Knowledge of other personality types (Knowledge is power for us).
4. A few good networks for mostly private conversations (like INTPforum) and other networks like myspace and facebook to keep an eye on the world.
5. Though we may contribute only up to three percent of human flesh, we are very adept at imitating others and cloaking ourselves...which allows us great mobility and stealth. I am sure that there are some of us who are professional economists, some who are religious heretics, marketing professionals, etc.
6. Despite the fact that some of us are so lazy that we sit at home and figure out ways to bring down the New World Order, we ourselves could create another New World Order, let the imaginary one take the fall, and take over just when everyone is so happy they could pi55 themselves.....

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

sroro

Local time
-->
I wouldn't bother taking over the world, but sometimes I want to make drastic chances for the so-called better. I sometimes feel like that but I know its pretty hopeless and its better for me to do small things to 'improve the world'.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Have you learned why you want to take over or what you want to take over?

It's better to just muse than to actually learn. Learning is bad.

It's sort of like seeing a silhouette of something behind the curtain and wondering what it is and musing about it. If you step out from the curtain you're disgusted and maybe disappointed.

At one time I might've wanted to take over the world, to make it "good" or something, but now I don't want anything to do with it. I don't even want to be human. Luckily, there are a lot of distractions out there...

Magnetosphere

Local time
-->
I'd like to make a difference in the world. Too bad I'm still working out the details of how I'll actually go about doing it.

Dorian Tullus

Greenshirt
Local time
-->
well, you'll need a lot of moneys. Then you'll need to use your moneys to obtain useful but expensive things that'll help you out with your schemes and plots, to correct things you lack as well.

and with tthe help oof moneys, you'll need influence and power - somehow anyways. ultimately, you're gonna have to achieve a lot of things before being able to get your hands on what you've yearned for. a lot of time and work! probably some backstabbing too, who knows?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If I have a lifespan of 1000+ years I might seriously try it, because human stupidity has grown to an intolerable level and i grow tired and bored of watching or being part of it.

Imagine watching humans fuck themselves up over and over again for 1000 years.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
If you look at this world and dont want to change it, you definitely have some sort of "syndrome"

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I don't want to take over the world, like, at all.

What I want to do is take one small functional system of society, technology, or the natural world at a time, and redesign it (or scrap it entirely and make something better to replace it). Then, I want to walk away and let someone else be the system administrator.

Then, when I run out of systems to design and improve, I want to ensure that they all integrate with one another effectively, according whatever overall vision I will have developed by then. Once all the systems are properly integrated, I want to expand to include new, interesting functions, and incorporate new discoveries as they arise. Eventually, I'll only want to deal with the problems that may/would arise from novel input, to determine whether and how they should be assimilated or discarded.

:borg:

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:10 PM
-->
And once Yellow has achieved her goals, i will start my resistance movement and take over all she has accomplished. And burn it too the ground. Killing huge swaths of human populations until only a few million people live on earth. Giving back as much as I can to earth and the natural order.

No, I don't fantasize about killing lots of people :phear:

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
And once Yellow has achieved her goals, i will start my resistance movement and take over all she has accomplished. And burn it too the ground. Killing huge swaths of human populations until only a few million people live on earth. Giving back as much as I can to earth and the natural order.

No, I don't fantasize about killing lots of people :phear:
But how can you kill humans when there aren't any humans left? I guess I failed to mention the part where humans end up not existing as humans anymore, my bad. On the plus side, something very earth-like will totally be here. In fact, it'll probably look and feel much like the real thing. It'll be safer to observe at a distance, however. Perhaps from the thing that looks and feels much like what used to be the moon!

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:10 PM
-->
B-but, my dream!

Then -classified- and -classified- and -classified- then -classified-. Effectively -classified- before -classified-.

I think I'm getting the hang of this politician black deals shit.

a8vz

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The first thing that came to my head was Mr. robot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
you have to aknowledge that democracy puts alot of limits on political power/one person rule.

and you have to crush the opposition constantly.

Top Bottom