• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Surreal and Abstract Art

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 2:03 AM
-->
ahh, an invitation to entertainment.. hooray...! just what i need, more amusement. because obviously being amused is my central goal in life. i don't like my attitude either.

my brother (estp) recently introduced me to surreal art. he's taking a liking for mythology, symbolism and poetry over the past months. i was like, yep, that's an Ni fetish right there. it's real life things like this that solidify the validity of typology in my life constantly.
I do quite enjoy surrealism, abstract cubism, geometric art... it is an exact expression of something within the mind, I think. I have found I dislike realistic arts, as they fail to say much, they don't express raw passion and emotion that I feel art should express (and they are just far too mundane). I dislike mostly every type of art for some reason or another, except anything pertaining to abstractions. Are you telling me you don't enjoy art? Music? Ah, but enjoyment is not the sole end, is it? but it is the expression of an idea, of a thought, the tangible realization of something intangible, abstract though it may be, and abstract only because no function of realism and logic could every hope to explain it. That is the beauty of duality within the world.

Also, I swear I'm not an F type. Ask anyone. This kind of art simply fascinates me. It is something I could not describe, and something which someone who doesn't inherently see can see. It is deeply emotional and intense personal moment, the colour flows from the pen, apart from any semblance of rationality; it is raw, the byproduct of an utter frustration because such an idea cannot ever hope to be expressed in words, but is found throughout nature. O soul, release thyself! O spirit, fly free! For the body is just a chalice... it is worth nothing.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Yesterday 11:03 PM
-->
Re: Randomization

I apologize for this slight divergence...

I do quite enjoy surrealism, abstract cubism, geometric art... it is an exact expression of something within the mind, I think. I have found I dislike realistic arts, as they fail to say much, they don't express raw passion and emotion that I feel art should express (and they are just far too mundane). I dislike mostly every type of art for some reason or another, except anything pertaining to abstractions. Are you telling me you don't enjoy art? Music? Ah, but enjoyment is not the sole end, is it? but it is the expression of an idea, of a thought, the tangible realization of something intangible, abstract though it may be, and abstract only because no function of realism and logic could every hope to explain it. That is the beauty of duality within the world.

Also, I swear I'm not an F type. Ask anyone. This kind of art simply fascinates me. It is something I could not describe, and something which someone who doesn't inherently see can see. It is deeply emotional and intense personal moment, the colour flows from the pen, apart from any semblance of rationality; it is raw, the byproduct of an utter frustration because such an idea cannot ever hope to be expressed in words, but is found throughout nature. O soul, release thyself! O spirit, fly free! For the body is just a chalice... it is worth nothing.

I am fascinated by this sort of art. It's like a puzzle where the emotional reaction to the piece is a much a part of the analysis as the physical aspects of the art itself. I look at a piece and feel anger. Why? Did the artist mean to inspire anger for a specific reason or am I bringing my own emotional baggage and assumptions into this? Was that considered in the making of the art? Some say that the interpretation of art is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I think that's a load of crap. While you can't completely control a person's emotional reaction and interpretation ultimately some part of the artist will be evident in the piece. The fun part is figuring out where the artist ends and you begin. The intent and the interpretation mingle like two spilled liquids flowing towards one another. Then you bring in somebody new. If you listen to this new person's interpretation the coalescing liquids become even more mixed and difficult to differentiate. What can you glean from this mixture of intent and interpretations? How does a particularly strong interpretation effect or taint the others?

DesertSmeagle

Banned
Local time
-->

ya exactly.. thats one of the reasons i like surreal art, besides the fact that it looks cool.Its a reflection of the subconscious mind..Art is like a language, expressing things words cannot.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

That posts sounds like I was high when I wrote it...

Cegorach

Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
-Split from Randomization thread-

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Whoa. You mean moderators actually do shit on this board? I have never seen that before...

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
I like doing weird shit in photoshop... Probably a flashback to the days when i was a dope-smoking, Harley-riding Hippie...
I have several surrealistic albums posted on photobucket,
The Monet/Escher/Dali album seems to rather popular - it has gotten about a million "hits" since I posted it last month - my viewings on photobucket have really dropped since I quit allowing folks to download my images...

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/DaBlob/Monet with Escher/

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Some of my favorites from what he showed me:

48554843cc673262859.jpg

temptation.jpg

surrealismpainting01.jpg

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Some of my favorites from what he showed me:

48554843cc673262859.jpg
This is beautiful. So much meaning. But I must ask, what does this mean to you? specifically, the wheel in the middle of the eye.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
This is beautiful. So much meaning. But I must ask, what does this mean to you? specifically, the wheel in the middle of the eye.
Nothing! ^^
I just think it looks neat.

(I'm not always deep and philosophical. o.o)

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
I do like surrealism very much, but sometimes I feel like it's the art of the lazy. It takes a lot more thought and effort to display and provoke emotion by a piece of realistic or even impressionistic persuasion.

Surrealism is just pure thought or pure emotion. All there, no channelling, little subtlety most of the time and the line between bold and just taking the easy way is often blurred.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Nothing! ^^
I just think it looks neat.

(I'm not always deep and philosophical. o.o)
Well, obviously... I don't know. When it comes to art, I guess I'm just 'like that.' Sure, one can critique the artwork, or find it desirable, but it is measured by what it invokes. That is my definition of art.
I do like surrealism very much, but sometimes I feel like it's the art of the lazy. It takes a lot more thought and effort to display and provoke emotion by a piece of realistic or even impressionistic persuasion.

Surrealism is just pure thought or pure emotion. All there, no channelling, little subtlety most of the time and the line between bold and just taking the easy way is often blurred.
Meh. That's all I have to say to that for now.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Meh. That's all I have to say to that for now.

Quite eloquent.
You could call it surreal art if you'd like, help me prove a point.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Well, obviously... I don't know. When it comes to art, I guess I'm just 'like that.' Sure, one can critique the artwork, or find it desirable, but it is measured by what it invokes. That is my definition of art.

My brother definitely has personal associations to them. He actually did go through with me on what some of them represented to him, but I haven't formed any link to them. He's actually also a graffiti writer. o.o

That's a neat way to define art. I've personally come to define art as being self-expression in any form. To me, the reactions that someone's art/expression invokes in another is not itself art but an appreciation of another's art.

I think, primarily, art exists for the composer/writer/painter/actor/etc as a medium to display their true self to the world. Whether it is appreciated by others, or aesthetically appealing, is secondary and not itself what defines art.
(to me >>)

thoughts?

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Quite eloquent.
You could call it surreal art if you'd like, help me prove a point.
No. :p

Alright, here we go. Perhaps you're correct. it doesn't matter, and I'd be inclined to say that you are not correct. Art is entirely subjective, even its very definition differs greatly from person to person.

I like both realism and abstract/surrealism, but prefer abstract. But I can see what you are saying. Unfortunately, I simply don't have much to say on it. I think you are right in saying that surrealism/abstract is either pure thought or pure emotion, but who could say for sure? We all perceive art in different ways. One could see one picture and think of love, and another could see the same picture and think of war. That is what is beautiful about unspoken art. It invokes something which is deeply personal and intense inside the individual, but at the same time the artist had a clear idea in his own mind when he created it.

Little subtlety- to you. Perhaps your mind simply does not try to do such a thing, but attempts to describe such art as straightforward as possible? Wherein realistic art there is generally a clear-defined subject or idea, abstract art is entirely open to personal opinion and interpretation.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

My brother definitely has personal associations to them. He actually did go through with me on what some of them represented to him, but I haven't formed any link to them. He's actually also a graffiti writer. o.o

That's a neat way to define art. I've personally come to define art as being self-expression in any form. To me, the reactions that someone's art/expression invokes in another is not itself art but an appreciation of another's art.

I think, primarily, art exists for the composer/writer/painter/actor/etc as a medium to display their true self to the world. Whether it is appreciated by others, or aesthetically appealing, is secondary and not itself what defines art.
(to me >>)

thoughts?
I can understand perfectly what you said here. I think I like your definition better. It is far more open.

But perhaps whatever is evoked in art is also a different form of art, such as projecting the person's reality onto that piece of art. I tend to think that 'appreciating' art encompasses only the objective aspects- was it drawn well? Is the composition good? Etc. But I suppose what you have said could also work.

From what I've gathered, however, art, at least in relation to the individual, is entirely subjective. This goes for any art: painting, drawing, music, theatre, film. You can objectively define and analyze certain aspects, but when it comes to whether you actually like something and what it evokes in one, that is entirely subjective.

I have no problems whatsoever with your last paragraph though.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I love abstract/ambiguous art :D. I also have a strong affinity for free jazz/avant-garde.

DesertSmeagle

Banned
Local time
-->
I LOVE surreal art. Ive been making surreal art for years, without even knowing what it was. Then i took an art class and thought, hey that looks like one of my drawings. Its so interesting to look at, and im pretty sure most of it is a reflection of the subconscious mind.

I dont see the purpose of realistic art. It makes no sense at all. You might as well just take a picture. If your painting a scene like a sunset or a feild, it involves absoltely no creativity. Well maybe some creativity if your a photographer.

With surreal and abstract art, creativity is infinite.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I wish I had more time and motivation to do art...

DesertSmeagle

Banned
Local time
-->
Me too..If my parents didnt make me do sports, id definitly be an artist or a musician.. I have a sketchbook and i just draw shit when ever im in one of those creative moods.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I need to start doing that. Sometimes I turn art into a formal event where I 'plan' to do it and shit. And it just seems so retarded.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
Alright, here we go. Perhaps you're correct. it doesn't matter, and I'd be inclined to say that you are not correct. Art is entirely subjective, even its very definition differs greatly from person to person.

I like both realism and abstract/surrealism, but prefer abstract. But I can see what you are saying. Unfortunately, I simply don't have much to say on it. I think you are right in saying that surrealism/abstract is either pure thought or pure emotion, but who could say for sure? We all perceive art in different ways. One could see one picture and think of love, and another could see the same picture and think of war. That is what is beautiful about unspoken art. It invokes something which is deeply personal and intense inside the individual, but at the same time the artist had a clear idea in his own mind when he created it.

Little subtlety- to you. Perhaps your mind simply does not try to do such a thing, but attempts to describe such art as straightforward as possible? Wherein realistic art there is generally a clear-defined subject or idea, abstract art is entirely open to personal opinion and interpretation.

Hey, I don't really see the point of arguing about art. As you said, it's entirely subjective and arguing is pointless, I would just want to say that I disagree with the notion that the subject or the idea in realism is clearly defined, I feel that it's quite the opposite actually. The object in realism (i.e. person painted) is clearly defined, but the subject or the idea behind it (i.e. what the person is thinking) is left open to interpretation which relies on small, subtle hints, most of the time. If a surrealist wanted to let you know what a person is thinking they'd just paint it inside their head or all around them.

Again, I'm not saying I dislike surrealism, I quite like it actually, but sometimes it's just too blunt. (Me - complaining about bluntness - Oh sweet irony)

Yogi

flying
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
This is a drawing of my new religion. It's also my entry for the flag of the New World Order. I call it Flowing Toward Divinity.

Attachments

• flowing toward divinity 2.jpg
    flowing toward divinity 2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 680

Yogi

flying
Local time
-->
Let me clarify. At the end of the Church Age, the Lamb will return as the Counselor (and I'm not claiming to be him). I believe the Old Testament = Father; the New Testament = Father + Son; and the New New Testament will be Father + Son + Holy Ghost. This is my visual representation of what that new religion might look like which now includes the Star of David, a Cross, and a swan (it keeps evolving and there's always room for more symbols ;)):

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Good article about the Scorn game and its team's inspirations from surreal art, notably Beksiński and Giger.

A few outtakes:
scorn1s.jpg

scorn4s.jpg

scorn12s.jpg

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Good article about the Scorn game and its team's inspirations from surreal art, notably Beksiński and Giger.

A few outtakes:
scorn1s.jpg

scorn4s.jpg

scorn12s.jpg

That looks veritably horrifying. :phear: I'll have to play this when it drops.

Those are supposed to be birthing pods right? The concept art reminds me of two enemies from Dead Space: guardians and the corruption. If you enjoy survival horror I would recommend it.

Top Bottom