• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

superiority?

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
Hi fellow INTPs, just one question.... Why do I secretly feel so superior( and don't think I am really superior, just a feeling !) to the bunch of people around me?

:)

Ps: I'm kinda ashamed of that... is it because there are no visible or aggressive NT's around me? I suspect I'm only surrounded by majority of ST or NF's? Or I don't know...

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
wrong , I feel superior to people who do things I do better than me...
:p

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
I'm actually getting extremely confident... And it feels strange actually, INTPs normally have no self confidence !
Am I turning INTJ?

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
I really don't think confidence has to do with type, except for how or if you project it. You can be confident while doubting your plans and double guessing things. Either way, confidence is essentially just having self-esteem. While people with low self esteem may withdraw and people with confidence may project it, it doesn't mean that lacking or having confidence are the only reasons you do either thing, or that your functions are changing just because you've started feeling more comfortable with yourself. Everybody has an awkward teenaged years they have to go through, for example, and being awkward doesn't mean you have any particular personality type (though your personality type determines the manner in which you're awkward).

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
... I feel uniquely unique and that suffices me to make feel superior. the feeling of haing a particular role in the world.
The sole idea of fitting in(except if it is in a elite group of intelligent and eminent people) would take all my self confidence away. I find this trend common in INTPs and yet strange.

I consider independence of thought as the best indicator of confidence. I feel superior to the sheep, all the dependent people, which forms 99 % of population since everything or everybody is interconnected/ interdependent in a society.
Also, I don't know about other INTPs, but I think we are the only types able of extreme introspection... and introspection leads automatically to growth of self.

When I look around me, people's happiness don't come from within, they need the other's presence in order to feel happy and accepted, while my happiness- although I genuinely and naively love people- comes from within. And all the consistency of self induced by introspection and the subsequent inner growth... I suspect is only manageable by INTP's. I might be wrong though.
I'm heading towards the "positive disintegration", I feel like the theory is directed towards INTP's.
People around me also hate each other, while I don't feel anything but genuine love for my fellow humans.... therefore they think I'm so naive. Poor people.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->
I think I may be in a similar boat to you. The more I don't identify with others or labels, the more confident and free I feel.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:06 PM
-->
I gave up the notion of, 'superiority' between individuals a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned, on a grander scale there is no superiority or inferiority, only differences.

There is practical application for judging people against criteria, and is necessary on some level to function day to day, but I find the notion of considering oneself, 'superior' to other people rather pointless.

Once you start viewing people as less than human, seeing them through a lens of their ideology, abilities, experience etc. instead, you're drifting into potentially dogmatic territory.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:06 PM
-->
I'm actually getting extremely confident... And it feels strange actually, INTPs normally have no self confidence !
Am I turning INTJ?

The lack of confidence shows.

Clock

ʞɔolƆ
Local time
Today 7:06 AM
-->
Am I turning INTJ?
You're terribly wrong, and as Pyropyro said, your lack of confidence shows.

Reality is Optional

Social Rebel
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
... I feel uniquely unique and that suffices me to make feel superior. the feeling of haing a particular role in the world.
The sole idea of fitting in(except if it is in a elite group of intelligent and eminent people) would take all my self confidence away. I find this trend common in INTPs and yet strange.

I consider independence of thought as the best indicator of confidence. I feel superior to the sheep, all the dependent people, which forms 99 % of population since everything or everybody is interconnected/ interdependent in a society.
Also, I don't know about other INTPs, but I think we are the only types able of extreme introspection... and introspection leads automatically to growth of self.

When I look around me, people's happiness don't come from within, they need the other's presence in order to feel happy and accepted, while my happiness- although I genuinely and naively love people- comes from within. And all the consistency of self induced by introspection and the subsequent inner growth... I suspect is only manageable by INTP's. I might be wrong though.
I'm heading towards the "positive disintegration", I feel like the theory is directed towards INTP's.
People around me also hate each other, while I don't feel anything but genuine love for my fellow humans.... therefore they think I'm so naive. Poor people.

And that's why Voldemort was typed as an INTP. But don't take that as an insult; I'm exactly the same way, thought I hate to admit it. Unfortunately, INTP's are so rare, the only place I can find other's are on websites like this one. Truthfully, I don't really care about fitting in, and I don't think you do either from the looks of it. I actually like being different. However, the minute I think I'm different, I feel like a hypocrite. I really can't stand it when people think they're something that they're not, and I don't want to think I'm unique if I'm really not. (Sigh) Our brilliance is just something us INTP's will have to learn to cope with.

Doob

Local time
-->
I feel uniquely unique and that suffices me to make feel superior. the feeling of haing a particular role in the world.
The sole idea of fitting in(except if it is in a elite group of intelligent and eminent people) would take all my self confidence away.

When I look around me, people's happiness don't come from within, they need the other's presence in order to feel happy and accepted, while my happiness- although I genuinely and naively love people- comes from within.

I don't understand how you can feel so superior because your happiness does not depend on other people (according to you) while your self confidence depends on other people.

Octavio

Evolutionary
Local time
Today 3:06 AM
-->
Narcissism, bro.

It's an easy trap to fall into if you're an INTP. I get the vibe that you're young, maybe 19-20 or younger. You're looking for an identity, a niche to fit into. You just haven't found a way to satisfy that degree of external locus of self-esteem. In this case, it manifests probably as cerebral narcissism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapExUAC6gY
This video might clear up things for you, at least give you a better sense of awareness.

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel the way you do sometimes. A sense of superiority usually consumes me when I'm around people of less intelligence. This false confidence betrays an intrinsically low self-esteem, but ends up as an abrasive sort of arrogance.

At the end of the day, INTPs have extraverted Feeling (Fe) as their inferior function. In other words, we have a difficult time expressing ourselves and probably lack empathy. As we mature, it's something we develop. I think INTPs often flaunt their intelligence, a proverbial way of dick-measuring, to fill in the void atrophied by our complete absence of social skills. It's a way to compensate and cope with the fact that society generally doesn't cater to introverts and smart people.

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
Once you start viewing people as less than human, seeing them through a lens of their ideology, abilities, experience etc. instead, you're drifting into potentially dogmatic territory.

Agree, in fact I'd argue that a general sense of superiority is a by product of self deception. The truth is that none of us are that unique. I've spent quite some time with INTJs and ISTJs and they are all more confident that I am, however, as I got to know them better, I could easily see through their insecurities and self rationalizations which their confidence was build upon. Now a sense of superiority is gaining ground here as I am writing this but of course they could see right through me as well. There is no winning. The closest I can get to confidence is accepting that. Now in order to function as a human being, you of course have to let go and "feel" unique and special once in a while but it really doesn't hold any rational ground. Or perhaps it does, it depends on what you're trying to achieve I suppose.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I like the way you worded that :)

doncarlzone said:
Now a sense of superiority is gaining ground here as I am writing this but of course they could see right through me as well. There is no winning.

I think this is important, for the implication it holds. Which is that there is nothing to really be gained (no winning) by feeling superior to others. At least not anything beyond a sense of...superiority.

To me, superiority is the byproduct of labeling. For example: the idea that it's better to be wealthy than to be poor. From this labeling, the idea starts to breed that people who are poor are not as valuable as those who are rich and when taken to extremes, people will start to justify all sorts of horrible things.

While the latter does not necessarily have to arise from the former, it IS the logical endpoint of divisive labeling - and so does often arise.

I think it's important for individuals to overcome the notion of labels, of viewing people in generalized and simplistic ways. To seek understanding first, and withhold judgement for later. Too often are things done in reverse.

Assassin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Technically you can't be superior to anyone because everyone is better than you at SOMETHING.

The reason that you feel superior is because you're seeng from your point of view and it's easiest to see things your way and assume that your way of doing things and being is better.

that being said I usually feel superior around people who aren't as smart as me but everyone is intelligent in different ways so I guess that makes me arrogant.

rushgirl2112

Local time
-->
In my life, I've alternated between inferiority and superiority.

Sometimes I feel inferior when it comes to managing life in this world. I just don't fit in anywhere, and I'm not able to have faith or be comforted by it or by the simple pleasures in life that so many people are able to appreciate (or at least be distracted by) without always being troubled by the bigger picture. Additionally, being a woman means that I am even more out of place in a world where I'm expected to be warm and emotional. It makes me feel very jealous of all those people sometimes.

Sometimes I feel superior for the same reason - precisely because I don't fit in. That means I'm different, and when I see things that "ordinary" people don't, usually uncomfortable truths rather than comfy fictions, it gives me this wonderful feeling of being able to figure out a magician's trick that's fooling everyone else. (While simultaneously feeling disappointed that I don't get to enjoy the trick.)

Back when I met my husband in our teens, I described it as feeling awake while the rest of the world slept, and I was thrilled to finally find someone who was "awake" too. He was the first person I'd met who actually understood what I was talking about before I even finished saying it.

Having grown WELL past my teens, I've come to consider it more as speaking different languages and tuning into different aspects of reality than others. It doesn't make me superior or inferior. Well, I can start speculating on how central I am to my own reality and whether anyone else even exists, but that's just fun theoretical stuff.

The one thing I do know is that my place in this reality is different from most other people's, and whether it's better or worse or neutral really depends on the answer to the question of why we're here in the first place. Is it to see through an illusion? Enjoy life at face value? Come up with grand theories? Develop the mind or the body? Some of the above? None of the above? Is there any purpose to it at all?

Since I can't answer that question, I really can't conclude that my place here is any more or less valid than anyone else's. So I'm giving it one big question mark. (This is actually a really good explanation of why I'm agnostic as well.)

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
Great post @rushgirl2112, I hope I'll awake one day too ;)

To me, superiority is the byproduct of labeling. For example: the idea that it's better to be wealthy than to be poor. From this labeling, the idea starts to breed that people who are poor are not as valuable as those who are rich and when taken to extremes, people will start to justify all sorts of horrible things.

While the latter does not necessarily have to arise from the former, it IS the logical endpoint of divisive labeling - and so does often arise.

I think it's important for individuals to overcome the notion of labels, of viewing people in generalized and simplistic ways. To seek understanding first, and withhold judgement for later. Too often are things done in reverse.

Not much to add here, I think you're identifying one of the key elements of human suffering. I share similar thoughts but actually applying this level of understanding can sometimes leave to paradoxes:

"Would a musician feel flattered by the loud applause of his audience if it were known to him that, with the exception of one or two, it consisted entirely of deaf people?" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Doob

Local time
-->
Technically you can't be superior to anyone because everyone is better than you at SOMETHING.

Yes, exactly. I do think that I am superior to someone in a specific aspect but I don't think that I feel superior to the whole person most of the time.

@rushgirl2112
Very well said.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Generally, I find people who claim to be superior are merely all mouth, or deluded.

It's like they require some sort of attention-seeking, self-justification. That merely existing is not enough, they need to think that they are the chosen one.

I don't think I'm superior in anything. Although, at times I do think people are stupid.

magd74

Knowledge Seeker
Local time
-->
I can't ever really conjure up a sense of superiority because whenever I feel the onset of that feeling I realize someone somewhere is much better at what I'm currently proud of accomplishing and someone is superior to them as well.:confused:

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:06 PM
-->
Found this little gem. It might be useful for this thread.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
There is practical application for judging people against criteria, and is necessary on some level to function day to day, but I find the notion of considering oneself, 'superior' to other people rather pointless.
Not the objective knowing that one is superior, but the subjective feeling than one is superior... Besides that, Life is a competition. nope?

My suspicion although is that a strong initial feeling of abnormality, inadequacy, feeling of being different leads somehow to a feeling of superiority necessary to achieve the big dreams in life. :evil:

Doob

Local time
-->
Why is it necessary to feel superior in order to achieve the big dreams?

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Why is it necessary to feel superior in order to achieve the big dreams?

It isn't; he's talking a load of rhubarb.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
Yes, but I would like to know why he thinks that it's necessary.

Isnt it obvious guys? When one feels superior, one feels great and thus one achieve bigger things because there is no fear of being so successful that everybody dies.
But seriously, I don't think great things have ever been achieved by people who thought they were equal or inferior to their peers. Sometimes believing that one is superior in one or another area or feeling it; can easily translate in a self fulfilling prophecy.
When I secretly feel like I'm superior, everything seems suddenly lighter and easier and I speak with much more confidence.

Doob

Local time
-->
I think there is a difference between being confident and feeling superior, you can be confident without the latter. While you are not completely self confident if your confidence is only based on you feeling superior.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Isnt it obvious guys? When one feels superior, one feels great and thus one achieve bigger things because there is no fear of being so successful that everybody dies.
But seriously, I don't think great things have ever been achieved by people who thought they were equal or inferior to their peers. Sometimes believing that one is superior in one or another area or feeling it; can easily translate in a self fulfilling prophecy.
When I secretly feel like I'm superior, everything seems suddenly lighter and easier and I speak with much more confidence.

History proves otherwise. The majority of great thinkers are too wound up in their work to consider their intellectual position in society.

When interviewed, most are rather modest when asked to talk about their "brilliance".

Stephen Hawking said:
“I’m the archetype of a disabled genius, or should I say a physically challenged genius, to be politically correct. At least I’m obviously physically challenged. Whether I’m a genius is more open to doubt.”

As Doob said, confidence is not the same as superiority.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I don't think great things have ever been achieved by people who thought they were equal or inferior to their peers.

Einstein, Ghandi, Rosa Parks...I could make a pretty long list.

Not as recognised but probably more relevant, Brian Schmidt recently won a Nobel Prize in physics, he didn't think he was that special - he was surprised and humbled, as are most Nobel Laureates.

I wonder, what is it that drives racism and hatred? As far as I can tell, it's driven by people who use labels to identify people as less than they are, because they are white, black, muslim, ugly, evil...and so on that perpetuates dogma in society.

Epicure

Mediator
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
I just don't fit in anywhere, and I'm not able to have faith or be comforted by it or by the simple pleasures in life that so many people are able to appreciate (or at least be distracted by) without always being troubled by the bigger picture.

I've come to find that the simple pleasures make life worth living even though I don't regularly indulge in them. When everything seems pointless enjoying yourself can be the only way to make it seem worthwhile. (Getting ice cream before I continue.)

As long as we are human beings we are inherently flawed. I use to dream of being of pure mind free of human squishy parts and not flawed, but in some way we are all fools.

When I have people tell me I'm smart throughout my life and with my accomplishments, of course I feel good, but as a harsh judge of others I was always the hardest on myself. I've had people laugh in my face for doing something stupid absentmindedly too. You can always find people around you with strengths you don't have if you pay attention.

Does anyone else feel the gradual slide of narcissism becoming a cultural underpinning of society? It seems like our leaders, role models, and a larger percentage of people are becoming defined by an underlying narcissism. It's not enough to be a honest person anymore, but a popular, great person that owns all the coolest junk. Narcissism fueled by consumerism.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
Does anyone else feel the gradual slide of narcissism becoming a cultural underpinning of society

Of course, it's evident. Everybody wanna be beautiful(so everybody dress unnecessarily well) , intelligent(so everybody wear glasses and death stare), rich(so everybody work harder and get burned-out), young( so people do plastic surgery),...etc
Everybody wants to be the best but everybody cannot be the best... so people go crazy and retire in their own internal worlds and become crazy.

I find it funny how ego's are getting savagely bigger and bigger. People are the more and more frustrated because they want things they clearly cannot get.
Poor humans.

Doob

Local time
-->
So feeling superior has nothing to do with a big ego?

Local time
-->
100% of the superior v inferior dichotomy is about perspective.

Everyone is superior and inferior. It just depends on the particular individual's strengths and weaknesses in relation to the attribute in question. This is what explains why a smoking hot chick might have half a brain cell worth of processing power upstairs and why most absurdly intelligent chicks are physically ugly as hell.

The list/ sliding scale goes on and on...some individuals might even seem to have it all: until their achilles heal is revealed which everyone has at least something inferior about them. Even that hot chick with the genius brain will have chronic, debilitating, repulsive halitosis and/or involuntary, spontaneous chronic flatulence or something inferior about them.

There is nothing inherently wrong with superiority or inferiority. It just is.

The inferior humanoids are just going to have to figure out the fact that being jealous only hurts them in the long run (and trying to justify/ find security in tearing down those who are inherently superior to them is a complete exercise in self defeat and totally impossible anyways). And the superior humanoids are going to have to figure out how to best maximize their superior attributes. Until the reality of the dichotomy between superior/ inferior is accepted for what it is, the majority of the blather about it is more worthless froth.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
The inferior humanoids are just going to have to figure out the fact that being jealous only hurts them in the long run (and trying to justify/ find security in tearing down those who are inherently superior to them is a complete exercise in self defeat and totally impossible anyways). And the superior humanoids are going to have to figure out how to best maximize their superior attributes. Until the reality of the dichotomy between superior/ inferior is accepted for what it is, the majority of the blather about it is more worthless froth.

dayum, this is harsh dude.... I don't think it's a good idea. Humans are individualists but also strongly social beings. So we cannot assert that certain people are superior or inferior because it will go against human rights and dismantle society's important foundations ("everybody is equal"). I think the problem is that society devalues certain attributes while it values certain others...and it's sometimes legitimate to be jealous when you don't have the right equipment . What I mean is that you cannot blame people for being jealous(or pretending to be someone or something they aren't ), because ultimately it's not their fault but society's...

standardizedanimals.jpg

Local time
-->
dayum, this is harsh dude.... I don't think it's a good idea. Humans are individualists but also strongly social beings. So we cannot assert that certain people are superior or inferior because it will go against human rights and dismantle society's important foundations ("everybody is equal"). I think the problem is that society devalues certain attributes while it values certain others...and it's sometimes legitimate to be jealous when you don't have the right equipment . What I mean is that you cannot blame people for being jealous(or pretending to be someone or something they aren't ), because ultimately it's not their fault but society's...

View attachment 2112

And that is exactly the assumption that is inherently flawed.

There is so much damage done via the damaging leverage within this one seemingly tiny assumption its literally incalculable.

By the design of the zombie's masters of course. Its definitely no accident.

And don't get me wrong, inferior and superior people have place in society. Those who are superior in one thing are inferior in another and vice versa: ideally all work within their own sphere of superiority (and minimize the damage done with their spheres of inferiority) to maximize the synergy thus derived.

Bottom line: right now the zeitgeist as determined by the masters of the zombies (equality) has the process of maximizing synergy completely ass backwards. (again by design of course)

Top Bottom