• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Suggestion: allow changes to our display name

reloaded

Local time
Today 5:57 PM
-->
Many websites have both usernames and display names. I suggest we allow users to have display names, in which they can change as they please (perhaps once every few months). But our usernames remain the same. I once read that a mod mention something about confusion... will this solve the problem? Can display name changes be allowed? It should not cause confusion to mods if our usernames remain the same.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Tomorrow 3:57 AM
-->
It's an INTP forum avatar changes are too much for some people to handle.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:57 PM
-->
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:57 PM
-->
Changing names causes confusion to ordinary users who tend to associate a certain continuous persona with a name.

There's so many suggestions to enable name changing that it makes one consider why it's so desired? Do you prefer to discard your identity every time you make a mistake or feel ashamed/discontent with what you've said?

Continuity of user names creates a more realistic, compelling sense of identity that influences the things you are going to say and how constructive or careful you're going to be about it.

Some people don't have this issue, but it seems that many trollish or irresponsible users would change names to try to evade consequences (thinking it would work) or manipulate attention for no good reason.

Name-changes aren't going to be allowed mainly because it adds paperwork for admins who have to set things manually and this forum's software isn't going to get any more upgrades ever again. Besides all that you most likely don't have a good enough reason to convince a half of the people who visited this thread that you're an exception, you can try your best, there's a separate contest for eloquence when results don't matter.

And if you really think your request should be considered seriously you should pm an admin about it.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 6:57 PM
-->
^^ Agree.

It's an INTP forum avatar changes are too much for some people to handle.

Also agree.
Heck, a signature change can irritate me.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:57 PM
-->
If members can't change their names normally, maybe you can then use temporary forced name changes as a way to punish members who break the rules, versus just banning them so that we can never be graced by their presence again.*

CRIME..................................PUNISHMENT NAME
Too mouthy..........................."Snot-Nosed Punk"
Too many vanity pics..............."Ugly Dawg"
Stalking other members..........."Moe Lester"
Habitually Irrational posts........."Bumf*ck"
Disrupting Mafia......................"Lynchbait"
Too much proselytizing............"[religion] Freak"

Then once they settle, change it back. bwa ha ha.

*This activity for entertainment purposes only.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:57 PM
-->
If members can't change their names normally, maybe you can then use temporary forced name changes as a way to punish members who break the rules, versus just banning them so that we can never be graced by their presence again.*

CRIME..................................PUNISHMENT NAME
Too mouthy..........................."Snot-Nosed Punk"
Too many vanity pics..............."Ugly Dawg"
Stalking other members..........."Moe Lester"
Habitually Irrational posts........."Bumf*ck"
Disrupting Mafia......................"Lynchbait"
Too much proselytizing............"[religion] Freak"

Then once they settle, change it back. bwa ha ha.

*This activity for entertainment purposes only.

I can't pick, too many.

Top Bottom