• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Subjective Experience of Time

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
If I count out a minute, the actual passage of time is always about 40 seconds.
Do you think there’s any corelation with type on this? Or a reason for some peoples’ “percieved” impatience? How does everyone elses “minute” compare to the objective minute.

Local time
Today, 11:36
If I count out a minute, the actual passage of time is always about 40 seconds.
Do you think there’s any corelation with type on this? Or a reason for some peoples’ “percieved” impatience? How does everyone elses “minute” compare to the objective minute.
It’s about 55 seconds for me.
I noticed the environment affects the counting speed (in a quiet room vs. a busy restaurant).
I think everyone perceives time differently.

Attachments

sushi

Local time
Today, 02:36
try sensory deprivation and isolation.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
Yeah. I put some more thought into it, and there’s a lot of things you have to consider.

The environment, like you said, but I would also add which “world” you’re interacting with as another important modifier too.

Interacting with internal world: 1 minute of subjective time = 45 seconds

Interacting with external world: 1 minute of subjective time = 3 minutes

Drugs are another obvious one, but I have little experience with anything other than caffeine. Tea only seems to make a minute feel 1.5-3.0s quicker. While a caffeine pill might be nearly 10s quicker. It’s been a long time since I had one, but watching stop-motion animation looked really stuttery (24fps).

But I digress, something else that interferes with my normal perception of time is sleep. Or lack of sleep to be more specific. Moves my subjective minute closer to an objective minute. (55s=1m)

Hmmmm

Top Bottom