• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Sub or Dub?

Sub or Dub

• Subtitles

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Dubbed over

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 1:36 AM
-->
I did a brief search and couldn't find a thread on this topic. Sorry mods if there already is one.:D

Here is a video that gave me the idea for this thread.

I personally like dubbed anime, and foreign movies. On a practical level, I don't like reading while I'm watching TV. I know that there are elements of the plot that I could miss out on, but it doesn't matter that much. I can't read subtitles on my computer screen from my bed. Also I can't read when my eyes are closed, or I'm looking away. I don't think dub is better. I'm just lazy.

Because of how big Funimation has gotten, their quality of dubs has gotten much better. Some times it's so close to the subtitles, that you barely see a difference. I personally am a big fan of Chris Sabat. I know a lot of weeaboos that rage over his very existence. Although, I guess you don't have to be a weeaboo to hate him.

Now I will watch subbed anime, and movies if it isn't available in dub. I'm currently enjoying Magi, and Attack on Titan (when I'm not filled with irrational anger and fear).

So what say you INTPs, and other forum goers?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 6:36 PM
-->
If the voice acting is good, I don't care either way. Some English dubs are horrible, others are really good and on the flipside I sometimes don't like the original voice acting.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 1:36 AM
-->
That's true. I have a friend that is obsessed with Naruto. He refuses to watch it dubbed simply out of his hate for the main voices actor. I remember how weird it was trying to watch Clannad dubbed after watching both series subbed.

Local time
Today 9:36 AM
-->
I prefer subtitles because they distract me less than dubbing which is usually dreadful apart from over animation. It's also a good way to pick up bits of other languages.
But i did love the intentionaly hilariously bad/mocking dubbing on the show Eurotrash.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 6:36 PM
-->
Some I watch dubbed some I watch subbed. Mainly subbed but for some Funamation ones like you said are good dubbed. The melodrama on subs though.... So good.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I hate dubbed videos. Even if it's Japanese I want to watch the original, it just looks fake no matter how good it is and I don't feel like I'm watching the proper movie.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:36 AM
-->
I'd rather have subs too. Usually the dubs are off a bit or the voice doesn't properly match the character and is more distracting.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
I usually like subtitles. With anime, I don't really care whether it has subtitles or it's dubbed over, but I hate when foreign movies are dubbed over – it seems like cheating. However, it's sometimes good for a laugh.

However, in bilingual shows like Arab Labour/شغل عرب/עבודה ערבית (does anyone here watch it?), The two sets of subtitles can get annoying because you need to keep switching your reading language. For example, I wish they would have Arabic subtitles for the Hebrew scenes, and Hebrew subtitles for the Arabic scenes, instead of both for all the scenes. The two sets just get confusing and frustrating.

SW

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 4:36 AM
-->
As long as I can understand what's going on I don't care. If the subs go to fast, I get mad though.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 10:36 AM
-->
learn the fucking language :cool:

just kidding. i won't learn japanese. but i'm glad my english is good enough for all movies, cuz german dubs are as bad as any.

but the first time i saw akira it was in german and at the time i was used to dubs, because my english wasn't that good yet, meaning that ALL movies and TV shows i ever saw were dubbed. i mean there are very few german movies. i never noticed how bad the dubbing is, just like you would hardly notice how bad the acting in the original star trek show is, if you had seen it decades ago, when all shows were like that.

and i will always remember this line:
Trinkt eure Hundepisse alleine

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I don't like dubs, for one they omit part of the performance of the actor, on the other hand, the viewer doesn't get exposed to foreign languages.

Subs are what got me kickstarted on learning english, and arguably a crucial part of it, since I started adopting the language from an early age, when spontaneous learning is still possible.

I don't think dubbed anime is necessarily bad, in part because some of it is targeted at children that can't read yet, but I just don't like the americanisation of it, and the cocky sounding American voice actors. That's something that has always annoyed me about cartoons. If I'm watching a Japanese production, I want it to remain Japanese, not have the immersion broken by having the characters talk in a language they should not be talking in. There's also one more thing, the more familiar I am with a language the more dubs in it annoy me, I notice flaws and bad acting more.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 2:36 AM
-->
I prefer to enjoy things as close to the source material as possible. I enjoy listening to other languages, and learning a bit. Also, not being a native english speaker, I am used to getting lots of english media subbed (and used to noticing the terrible mistakes and omissions of a large amount of subs and dubs, too).

The problem is dubs are often butchering not only the meaning of the words, but also their pacing and tone, and that's not even going into the hideous ill-fitted over-dramatic voice acting in a lot of dubs that just makes one want to blow their brains out.

Vykaus

Noshirt
Local time
Today 3:36 AM
-->
I love subs for the reasons previous posters described. Although Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I will watch in dubs. Maybe it was because I started loving the show on adult swim dubbed, which is pretty good. I tried watching it subbed and couldn't keep watching.

There's also one more thing, the more familiar I am with a language the more dubs in it annoy me, I notice flaws and bad acting more.

I've been wanting to learn Japanese for a while and there's this idea in my head where I think that if I do learn Japanese then I will enjoy anime less by noticing the flaws you speak of. I love anime but also Japanese culture and I'm torn. Are anime usually done with good voice actors?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 4:36 PM
-->
I prefer subs. It kind of helps me learn more about the culture where the film/ anime came from.

I don't mind dubbed films and anime. However, if the source material was in English and then it was dubbed into Filipino then I get pissed off. The TV networks usually make a bad job of translating stuff to Filipino.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I prefer subtitles.
Some can be pretty atrocious.
The downside is that you are not as visually involved.
I bet directors prefer dubs because of that.

Last edited:

Huggogguh

Local time
Today 8:36 AM
-->
Subs, simply because some of the more obscure anime I watch has dubs that make me want cry.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Subtitles, animation can be good because of several factors. Good drawing, good voice acting, good story, good overall. It is a part of the artistic process and final result.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
I hate dubs. Can't lip read. Can't match the lips to the voice.

I find I often read the subs even when I know the language.

Cavalli

"Tyger, Tyger"
Local time
-->
Dubbed on anime (as long as the voice acting is okay), purely because I'm lazy.
But subbed on anything else, I always find they can never make it sync up perfectly and it just never sounds right.

Local time
-->
I don't like subs, as I always get the feeling like I'm missing something onscreen. I want to fully focus on the movie. I can only speak for German dubs but I think most of them are made quite well (which is only my opinion).

I do like to watch movies in english, though. Especially old classics like The Thing. I normally just listen to some samples of the media I want to see and pick the language I find more pleasent ^^

Missing one or two things isn't really that bad, I mean you don't know that you miss something after all. And some puns only work in the original language or if you know the culture of the country producing an anime/movie. Even with subs you will probably miss those things.

Top Bottom