• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Strategy Game Suggestion

Ocofan

Engineer
Local time
Tomorrow 5:01 AM
-->
Hey Folks,
I was after any strategy game suggestions that suit a particular play style of mine. In games such as AOE, Starcraft 2 I like to build a base, army etc. Sort of like building up an empire from scratch. But the AI in these games focuses on progressive attacks right from the get go throughout the game. In my play style (and friends who used to play the game) we would build extensive defences and spend some time building massive armies. But to do that with AI now they almost exclusively focus on early attacking and not on defence. All their resources go into continually sending small groups of units to your base and nil on defence if you make it to their front gate.

Its hard for me to put it into words but if anyone knows of a strategy game of a similar genre to AOE or starcraft etc where the AI also focuses on a conservative play style of building up a large force in the late-stages of the game rather then early, progressive offence I would be grateful.
Many Thanks.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 7:01 AM
-->
Supreme Commander 2 is a good one. It allows you to build huge armies and to fuck shit up. The A.I will throw small attacks at you continuously but they will be defeated by your base defenses. At the same time it will also building an army to crush you. If its first big attack fails it'll have a even bigger army the next time it attacks proper.

Now, I am off to reinstall it.

Ocofan

Engineer
Local time
-->
Thanks. Its on sale on steam at the moment for only $4. I'll give it a go.

Edit: I've only had 2 games so far. The first one crashed but the second game was awesome. I was stonewalled at the beginning wondering "is this all I can do" when my base was bombarded by long range shells. Scared the shit out of me, but now I've got an idea how to play this game looks great. Thanks again.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Hey Folks,
I was after any strategy game suggestions that suit a particular play style of mine. In games such as AOE, Starcraft 2 I like to build a base, army etc. Sort of like building up an empire from scratch. But the AI in these games focuses on progressive attacks right from the get go throughout the game. In my play style (and friends who used to play the game) we would build extensive defences and spend some time building massive armies. But to do that with AI now they almost exclusively focus on early attacking and not on defence. All their resources go into continually sending small groups of units to your base and nil on defence if you make it to their front gate.

Its hard for me to put it into words but if anyone knows of a strategy game of a similar genre to AOE or starcraft etc where the AI also focuses on a conservative play style of building up a large force in the late-stages of the game rather then early, progressive offence I would be grateful.
Many Thanks.

Possibly AI War. Otherwise, maybe EU4 (coming out in August) or Civ V.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 7:01 AM
-->
Oh, definitely Civ V! Brilliant game!

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:01 PM
-->
All that base building.:confused:

It's not really a pure "real time strategy" game but if you have an ios/android device "kindom rush" and it's sequel are pretty fun.

Stratrgy/base building = koi eyes to safely secure your area from whih to launch a counteratack upon your enemy. Is relentless and challenging as your opponent may have a counterattack/strategy etc.

ESTPs sell objects/physical things well (my dad: "I can sell ice to an eskimo)
ENTPs sell ideas well

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 7:01 PM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
in sins of a solar empire the ai has presets you can use, off the top of my head they had one for concentrating on research one for defense and even an economist setting if that helps

IdeasNotTheProblem

Local time
Today 1:01 PM
-->
I don't game very much but I tried out "Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms" one day and was hooked for months. I tried one of the newer total war games but they were much slower and my computer couldn't handle it. This was only $20 when I bought it, maybe even cheaper now.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 3:01 AM
-->
Bit old, but Rise of Nations is a classic. AI waits till later to attack.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
Today 12:01 PM
-->
Axis and Allies.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 4:31 AM
-->
I understand the stylistic choice of end-game focus (it's also my preferred style), but games that do not give the option of early game aggression are severely limited in scope. Without aggression, the entire build up is homogeneous, requiring little to no adaptation. Armies are determined by their super late game viability, ignoring qualities that are important for every step leading up to that point. Also, without aggression, there is no need for defense. The person who wastes money on defenses is sacrificing his economical and technological advancement to prevent a non-existent threat.

Styles that favor the late game can still be viable vs. aggressive strategies*, you just need to scout, determine the level of threat being produced, and use the game's inbuilt defensive advantage to defeat them with a slightly inferior army. You then have every advantage, and can win the game at your leisure with end-game units that they will not have access to with their inferior investments.

*or they should be, if the game designers are competent.

ummidk

Local time
Today 2:01 PM
-->
As Hado said...If rushing isn't a viable strategy It's probably not a very good strategy game, and it's game is probably too static for my liking.

That being said...

Bit old, but Rise of Nations is a classic. AI waits till later to attack.

This..Rise of nations is a great game. The AI will rush on occasion but you can set the computers to default/rush/boom. Also, if you put the difficulty all the way up you could definitely get stomped by the AI end game with their advantages, idk if thats a problem for you but sounds like the AI your facing lacks competition (AoE2 AI is notorious for just giving up on finding new resources after a certain amount of time...yay light horse army).

IF your really interested in building an empire you could check out some Grand Strategy games from Paradox interactive. Games like Europa Universalis 3...Where you start in the year 1399 and can select any country that exists in the game throughout the world and spend the next 400 years building your country's economy/military/colonies etc.

Top Bottom