• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Spotting ENFX

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:54 PM
-->
Have any ENFX's you know?

I found I have a hole in my experience with ENFX's, I have a terrifically hard time spotting them. What I do is mistype them as ESFX due to their warm gregarious natures. Ideas on how to get better at spotting them requested ...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:54 PM
-->
One tends to be around / involved in drama, the other is dramatic.

I will say that's mostly the ENFPs and ENFJs with developed sensory/feeling sides. ENFP with a Te focus, and ENFJs focused on Ni are noticeably different.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I seem to attract them. My closest friend from back home is an ENFJ while my closest friend at school is an ENFP. It can be nice having them around because they make me go out and be social (not always a bad thing in my opinion) and give me access to a wide circle of friends I would have never otherwise met.

One way to tell them apart from ESFXs is that their eyes don't noticeably glaze over as much when the conversation shifts to a more abstract or esoteric topic.

ENFJs' inferior Ti causes them to be attracted to difficult and logically rigorous topics that INTPs excel at and and love discussing. They usually cannot keep up with the conversation, but enjoy listening nonetheless.

Local time
Today 6:54 AM
-->
I agree with Absurdity in that I tend to attract them. They're curious about the misanthropic void within me.

ENFJs: extremely OCD, extremely talkative when they talk to you. They can pick out information very quickly. In my experience they tend to have a more formal aspect to their choice of clothing. They can also have a cutthroat aspect. There's an ENFJ grad student in the department that literally hugs me every time she sees me. This is contrasted with, for example, an ESFP undergrad in my research cadre, who doesn't mess with hugs but is talkative and provides me with a steady supply of baked goods.

ENFPs tend to have this aura of silent rebellion about them. Their style is put together yet disheveled, and they're not always the social creatures many make them out to be. Much more unpredictable yet not as reserved in content as an ENFJ. If I hugged one I'd stand an equal chance of being alive or dead afterward, hence they do the hugging. My ENFP students, you can just watch them try to figure something out. Total Ne-doms. Today they had to construct double helix models of DNA. The xNFP group wound up with a triple helix first, and then reduced it to a double trying to follow the directions, whereas the xNTP group skipped the directions entirely and built a double helix using only nucleotides and a sugar-phosphate backbone but no hydrogen bonds.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:54 AM
-->
I agree with Absurdity in that I tend to attract them. They're curious about the misanthropic void within me.

ENFJs: extremely OCD, extremely talkative when they talk to you. They can pick out information very quickly. In my experience they tend to have a more formal aspect to their choice of clothing. They can also have a cutthroat aspect. There's an ENFJ grad student in the department that literally hugs me every time she sees me. This is contrasted with, for example, an ESFP undergrad in my research cadre, who doesn't mess with hugs but is talkative and provides me with a steady supply of baked goods.

ENFPs tend to have this aura of silent rebellion about them. Their style is put together yet disheveled, and they're not always the social creatures many make them out to be. Much more unpredictable yet not as reserved in content as an ENFJ. If I hugged one I'd stand an equal chance of being alive or dead afterward, hence they do the hugging. My ENFP students, you can just watch them try to figure something out. Total Ne-doms. Today they had to construct double helix models of DNA. The xNFP group wound up with a triple helix first, and then reduced it to a double trying to follow the directions, whereas the xNTP group skipped the directions entirely and built a double helix using only nucleotides and a sugar-phosphate backbone but no hydrogen bonds.

Oh my god, I'm always building a double helix using only nucleotides and a sugar-phosphate backbone but no hydrogen bonds. :D

Local time
-->
Oh my god, I'm always building a double helix using only nucleotides and a sugar-phosphate backbone but no hydrogen bonds. :D
Their model looked like a Christmas tree decoration out of a Dr. Seuss book, and I told them exactly that.

sammael

Adrift
Local time
Today 5:54 PM
-->
My older sister is an ENFJ, she/we thought for a long time she was an ESFJ. It was only when I noticed that she was far too partial to more abstract and theoretical topics to be a sensor (or an sj) and suggested she reconsider her type that it became obvious. She has several ESFJ friends that she enjoys being with, but by her own proclamation only in limited amounts and lengths of time, before she begins to find the conversation and interaction somewhat tedious. While she can communicate well at what would be attributed as a sensing level (the way an ESFJ would/does), it's the intuition-y things that she really gets into, which an ESFJ wouldn't. Things like theology, philosophy, psychological, and particularly behavioral patterns/aspects of people. She says she enjoys interaction with intuitors far more than interaction with sensors.

The most easily spottable difference between ENFPs and ESFPs for me is the reaction/ attitude to possibilities. I have somewhat of a habit of communicating oftentimes in terms of possibilities that aren't generally feasible, I get very little to no reaction from the ESFPs I know, but usually a rather almost excessive reaction from ENFPs I know, they get right on board the imagination train without any issues. They will respond to possibilities with more possibilities, which ESFxs won't do. I've also noticed ENFPs tend not to be too concerned with details in conversation, to the point sometimes I'm not sure what is going on/they are talking about because I don't have that detail information. They can at times be almost overwhelming in the amount of different and sometimes unrelated (to an objective observer) concepts, ideas, questions, or thoughts they bring to an interaction.

INeedToPee

Local time
Today 1:54 AM
-->
two of my close friends are ENFx (one is an ENFJ and the other ENFP)

the best way to differentiate them from ESFx through conversation (it's the same way to differentiate S/N in general). from my experience, the stereotypes for sensors being more "simple minded" is true. iNtuition users have more (what i consider to be) depth than Sensors. i find conversations with intuitives more interesting, and the conversations with sensors seem to be about more superficial matters. i think that intuitives are the "long walks on the beach" type (NF idealists in particular). me and my intuitive friends have lengthy discussions while walking long distances or sitting at a fast food place for hours (that might not be exclusive to iNtuitives though)

The most easily spottable difference between ENFPs and ESFPs for me is the reaction/ attitude to possibilities. I have somewhat of a habit of communicating oftentimes in terms of possibilities that aren't generally feasible, I get very little to no reaction from the ESFPs I know, but usually a rather almost excessive reaction from ENFPs I know, they get right on board the imagination train without any issues. They will respond to possibilities with more possibilities, which ESFxs won't do.
spot on. i think thats one of the reasons why me and my ENFP friend are close

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
One tends to be around / involved in drama, the other is dramatic.

I will say that's mostly the ENFPs and ENFJs with developed sensory/feeling sides. ENFP with a Te focus, and ENFJs focused on Ni are noticeably different.

On that note, I'd say Naomi Klein or Rachel Maddow are examples of strong Te in an ENFP and Martin Luther King or Joe Biden embody the Ni-ness of ENFJ. :smoker:

Aw gawd, when that Ni is misaligned though - cult leader par excellence. ;)

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
The following will be about my observations and experiences from ENFx types, I haven't known a lot. So this may not apply to all the ENFx types.

I find that the ENFJ does all our social tricks, which we do consciously and feel unconformable with. But when they do it, they mean it and do it unconsciously; Which is really easy to spot for us, as we would consider them to be artificial (Not genuine)
-Also they get satisfied with pleasing other people, even if this takes them effort. And are always trying to change their speech to be able to speak on a more natural level (e.g. So when talking with a gangster, they will try to talk like a gangster)

For the ENFP. They convey their logic throughout a fully natural understanding. By us the INTP, their extroversion can be seen as the goal we have when being extroverted. It comes so natural for them. Having the ability to share your (world-)logic without any effort.

INeedToPee

Local time
Today 1:54 AM
-->
The following will be about my observations and experiences from ENFx types, I haven't known a lot. So this may not apply to all the ENFx types.

I find that the ENFJ does all our social tricks, which we do consciously and feel unconformable with. But when they do it, they mean it and do it unconsciously; Which is really easy to spot for us, as we would consider them to be artificial (Not genuine)
-Also they get satisfied with pleasing other people, even if this takes them effort. And are always trying to change their speech to be able to speak on a more natural level (e.g. So when talking with a gangster, they will try to talk like a gangster)

For the ENFP. They convey their logic throughout a fully natural understanding. By us the INTP, their extroversion can be seen as the goal we have when being extroverted. It comes so natural for them. Having the ability to share your (world-)logic without any effort.

i see these qualities in my ENFP and ENFJ friends too.

i remember calling ENFJ out for being "artifical" and he genuinely didn't understand what i was talking about. i didn't know about jungian functions at the time, but looking back, i understand what i was thinking at the time.

as for the ENFP, we do share that Ne connection and i also find that we often try new things together too (whether its new methods of doing things, new places, etc.) one of us makes suggestions to do something new, the other one uses their internal judgement function to analyze its worth.

ENFX

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hey everyone!

I'm an ENFX... I stumbled on this forum because I was just doing some research on the ENFX personality, and I could barely find anything.

Quick background: Years ago I took the MBTI test and everyone was confused because I ended up with ENFX. Then a few years later I took the test again (a scaled-down version) as part of a job application and ended up with ENFX again. Here were my specific scores

E 7 / I 3
N 12 / S 8
F 15 / T 5
P 10 / J 10

This raised some "red flags" with the employer, so I took another specialized test for them developed by a PhD Sociologist... again, weird results that didn't "fit the mold". The only assessment I did understand was the DISC test, which didn't scare them away from me. I got the job and all went well, but I have always wondered why my testing usually "breaks the system".

Anyway, everyone loves to talk about themselves, so if you have any questions for a live ENFX, let me know. Take care!

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Hey everyone!

I'm an ENFX... I stumbled on this forum because I was just doing some research on the ENFX personality, and I could barely find anything.

Quick bakground: Years ago I took the MBTI test and everyone was confused because I ended up with ENFX. Then a few years later I took the test again (a scaled-down version) as part of a job application and ended up with ENFX again. Here were my specific scores

E 7 / I 3
N 12 / S 8
F 15 / T 5
P 10 / J 10

This raised some "red flags" with the employer, so I took another specialized test for them developed by a PhD Sociologist... again, weird results that didn't "fit the mold". The only assessment I did understand was the DISC test, which didn't scare them away from me. I got the job and all went well, but I have always wondered why my testing usually "breaks the system".

Anyway, everyone loves to talk about themselves, so if you have any questions for a live ENFX, let me know. Take care!

What kind of job tests your MBTI before hiring?

ENFX

Redshirt
Local time
-->
It was a small nonprofit that does international rescue work of children at risk. The exec director / founder was a good friend, and he's a bit quirky... so I did a few tests for him at his request to make sure I'd be a "good fit". I thought it was a bit much, but endured (and even laughed about) the personal scrutiny.

It all worked out though. I don't work with them anymore, but we are all good friends.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 11:54 PM
-->
This is entirely anecdotal, based on the ENFPs and ENFJs I've known. But they seem like night and day to me.

ENFPs:
They are like really clever puppies. They can't be tied down to anything for too long, they hate to be categorized. They are perfect debate partners, because they take it seriously enough for it to be fun, but they are never trying to convince you of anything. They can dismiss stressful situations and just bounce away unharmed (most of the time).

They are romantics, but they are terrible spouses. They love the idea of a requited love or a torrid romance, but when it comes down to the routine of a relationship, no matter how much they love the other person, they end up resembling butterflies with tattered wings. That is why they are great as once-in-a-while friends for INTPs. You can go a year without speaking and then pick up the friendship for an month and part ways again.

Oh, and they think they hate people. They don't hate people. They love people. They just cannot relate to Ss very well and Js can leave them feeling stifled.
ENFJs
They have this reality distortion field around them. They can make you believe completely in their world-view (or else!) while they are around. This is as good or bad as the ENFJs themselves. If the ENFJ is a bit on the crazy side, you will be walking on eggshells and dodging guilt trips nearly always. If they are sane and happy, they can be inspiring, refreshing, and seemingly perfect.

They are very charismatic, even at the worst of times. ENFJs seem to know exactly what to say and do to get you to do what they want. Pulling strings and manipulating comes as naturally to them as breathing. (But really, as hard as it is to find an NF without some kind of emotional damage, they are worth avoiding in your personal life.)

They love people and they are very loyal to their family and friends. Go a month without talking to them (if you were somewhat close), and you might as well have slapped them in the face

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I seem to attract them. My closest friend from back home is an ENFJ while my closest friend at school is an ENFP. It can be nice having them around because they make me go out and be social (not always a bad thing in my opinion) and give me access to a wide circle of friends I would have never otherwise met.

One way to tell them apart from ESFXs is that their eyes don't noticeably glaze over as much when the conversation shifts to a more abstract or esoteric topic.

ENFJs' inferior Ti causes them to be attracted to difficult and logically rigorous topics that INTPs excel at and and love discussing. They usually cannot keep up with the conversation, but enjoy listening nonetheless.

They are drawn to INTJs like moths to a flame.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I have a friend who's obviously an ENFJ and he pisses me off once a while since he is way too abrasive, he's always trying to suck emotion out of you, always asking how you feel about things and why (curiously this is something people have told me too, i'm a bit curious), But he just sounds so fucking disgusting, he talks like one of them cheap cross continental dating shows on tv. He can talk for months about love/goals/hurtful experiences/ personal love disappointment history, etc, he thinks this work with girls, but from what i've seen, normally they get tired of his speeches. 1st date, chill out man.
Probably he's just mad at me becuz i get all the girls we met. He always says that i attract them becuz they enjoy my wtfness thus magic only last short periods of time. In his case, his personality and infinite wisdom make girls stay with him for millenia.
I believe what would make them stay is his promising economical future.

scenefinale

Local time
-->
Have any ENFX's you know?

I found I have a hole in my experience with ENFX's, I have a terrifically hard time spotting them. What I do is mistype them as ESFX due to their warm gregarious natures. Ideas on how to get better at spotting them requested ...
Speech. I have a whole segment of video I plan to cover on the unique speech patterns of ENFJ.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 7:54 AM
-->
something to differentiate ENFJ and ESFJ, just a flighty impression from a few encounters:

ESFJ: Si-Ne: often likes to identify with specific things or quirks that can highlight their personal nature. they have a vibe to them which seems to say "oh, here i am, just little me doing my crazy little things" or something similar - especially when they get the chance to make introductions (unless the context is extremely formal), but also in day-to-day situations. they use this to defuse threats, in service of their Fe. on the up side it is modest, inclusive, warming, sympathetic and on the flip side it is ridiculous, self-devaluating, fake, morally irresponsible (maybe even pompous, depending on level of analysis). personally i lean toward the charitable interpretation.

they may also appear more open-minded than they are when push comes to shove, due to a competent Fe presentation of Ne.

ENFJ: Ni-Se: conversely, likes to get steeped in the flow of how things "just are, like, come on" and are highly dismissive of such quirky things that do not have a sense of urgency and action. they don't really believe in socialization just for the sake of it: they believe in express purpose, struggle, unity for a greater good. they are more honestly tolerant and appreciative of unpleasant emotions than ESFJ. they are less frightened of applying good vs. evil and making enemies, because they are more aware of contextual roles and they know that all things need not be personal.

they may appear more attuned to trends, conventions and contemporaneous facts than they actually are, due to competent Fe presentation of Se.

ENTP lurker

Usually useless
Local time
-->
I think Jenna Marbles (YouTube) is an ENFJ. Very ESTP like sometimes with slight physical roughness. Tertiary Se should come out in some way or another. It can also manifests itself as being demanding little princess. Very passionate and supportive for people with goals. INTP should think that they are pleasant people but at the same time they are too goal driven with too much focus for the real world.

ENFP is quite different at least in childhood. Don't look for analytical abstract thinking. Ideas and facts. And facts are feelings based. Extremely hard time at dissecting something for analysis. INTPs should have very hard time with this because their ideas are too bouncy with poor analysis and these ideas are usually not applicaple within INTPs interests. INTP sees the potential in ENFP which sadly flattens every time. Occasionally somewhat bossy. Very good at dechipering feelings and motivations from others.

Top Bottom