• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Song Lyrics

Local time
Today, 09:22
I don't listen to that many songs but:
(and I'm not sure where this fits so)

There are many songs that address death, psychopathy, suicide, stalking, and other things that wouldn't be appropriate to mention in public(as in say stuff like "I want to die"). Yet they are able to be released to all audiences.

In contrast, songs that have curse words aren't allowed to all audiences. This is bizarre, because it doesn't seem like the public thinks that curse words are worse than mental illnesses.

In addition, the book Thirteen Reasons Why recently brought up a large debate on whether it encouraged suicide or not (well, at least it was this year). This doesn't make sense because a single book doesn't have as much an impact as a group of songs (from different artists). Songs reach internationally to a large audience, and people listen to them extremely often (most people, that is), while one usually doesn't read the same book over and over.

Honestly, I don't see why song lyrics like "I want to die," "I don't want to be alive," "You're lovin' on the psychopath sitting next to you," "Every step you take
I'll be watching you" don't spark some controversy.

I have a theory based on "Every Breath You Take"'s (excuse the punctuation) attention from the public. Some (or maybe a long) time ago people realized it was basically a song on stalking a period of time from when it first came out. I also think (based on environment and some articles) that a significant amount of people don't listen to the lyrics of a song very closely. My theory would be that I think songwriters get away with such lyrics because of a significant proportion of the public that ignores them.

Otherwise I don't see why song lyrics based on suicide, murder, etc are so popular...:kodama1:

---
So basically I'd like opinions (or answers) on why these lyrics are allowed.

Turnevies

Local time
Today, 17:22
I seem to remember Marilyn Manson got blamed for school shootings.

I'm in general not in favor of censorship. People themselves are the ones responsible for their actions, regardless of the music they listen, the shows they watch, the books they read or the games they play.

Not that I personally always like lyrics that are very direct though with the aim of provoking; some popular examples are "I just had sex" or "Feel good hit of the summer".

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
Today, 11:22
Otherwise I don't see why song lyrics based on suicide, murder, etc are so popular...
The titillation of breaking a taboo.
So basically I'd like opinions (or answers) on why these lyrics are allowed.
Who is to dis-allow them? Some Authoritarian World Dictator? Disallow in what politically-scoped-to-Nation_State ... as if `artistic expresson' could be stopped from crossing international boarders?

Local time
Today, 10:22
Don't understand why people are wrapped too tight. Who cares what the lyrics say? If you don't like it, then don't listen to it.

Local time
Who is to dis-allow them?
:o
Let me rephrase the question: Why are such songs allowed to the public when books and movies are categorized so minors can't access some of them (and why curse words appear to be more dangerous than such subjects)? I'm not saying that such songs should be outlawed.

Don't understand why people are wrapped too tight. Who cares what the lyrics say? If you don't like it, then don't listen to it.
I agree, but my point wasn't to complain about song lyrics. I just couldn't see the logic behind why book subjects spark so much controversy when song lyrics don't (or at least I couldn't find much on it).

0neKiwi

Unstable
Local time
I realize that I shouldn't have asked this since you guys most likely did not participate in both of those events.:confused:
Shouldn't ask a person to explain someone else's logic:o.

Top Bottom