• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Small world hypothesis

Pizzabeak

Heyoka
Local time
Today, 06:00
What do you think of small world hypothesis? It’s connected to chaos theory, and states everyone is connected by at least six people. Networking works best if you get to know people who know the most people, although think twice before having sex with them.

It’s just a technique to pin down smaller networks in the whole, for successful advertising campaigns or tracking biological survey variables such as disease. If you track enough stuff you might could describe a “chaos”, similar to the “butterfly effect” wherein the wind could change the course of history and the future, or bring about Armageddon. It’s why the weather isn’t always predictable.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 22:30
I'm sort of assuming it's true but wouldn't be surprised if it weren't?

I believe in the butterfly effect, but find it unlikely that there has ever been a butterfly that, if prevented from flittering its wings, would prevent a hurricane that would otherwise happen. Given a long enough time-line such a thing is inevitable I guess, but how many hurricanes have there been during the window of time in which butterflies have existed? I don't think it's been enough for such an occurrence to be likely.

Local time
Today, 23:00
Applying statistical mechanics to social networks is a pretty hot area nowadays. Here are some papers:

There's a revolution going on in STEM. We have lots of data and data has shape. And we have developed really neat techniques for classifying all kinds of shapes.

It's a fantastic time to be interested in topology and algebraic geometry :)

Pizzabeak

Heyoka
Local time
I'm sort of assuming it's true but wouldn't be surprised if it weren't?

I believe in the butterfly effect, but find it unlikely that there has ever been a butterfly that, if prevented from flittering its wings, would prevent a hurricane that would otherwise happen. Given a long enough time-line such a thing is inevitable I guess, but how many hurricanes have there been during the window of time in which butterflies have existed? I don't think it's been enough for such an occurrence to be likely.
It doesn't literally have to be a butterfly, but it has potential. Most hurricanes have happened while butterflies have been alive. It flapping its wings could while correlate with the cause of a hurricane, might not necessarily be the actual cause of it, or could have contributed, either way, to it. It being one component of it, it isn't so much that another thing will take its place in being the, or a, cause of a hurricane. "If it isn't one thing it's another". Surely someone, some scientist or philosopher, knows.
It isn't that a long enough time frame'll do it, because it requires a multiverse and complex theoretical physics and some quantum physics. It wouldn't be your everyday, run of the mill thing.
The novelty thing, is just to put something, or someone, in its place. It's not all about reading, you still have to do the math.
It was also about small changes leading up to a bigger change. That's what makes it harder or more complex to predict, and the butterfly effect is just a colloquial term forecasters use when implying the weather was hard to predict. You could be on your way out the door and get delayed, and something could happen. You could be more safe or otherwise had you not been delayed, changing the course of a whole day; etc. So the Earth could really be alive, as in a super organism with conditions able to support life, which could also maintain the balance. Being at one with your environment really just means you're dead.

Pizzabeak

Heyoka
Local time
Applying statistical mechanics to social networks is a pretty hot area nowadays. Here are some papers:

There's a revolution going on in STEM. We have lots of data and data has shape. And we have developed really neat techniques for classifying all kinds of shapes.

Good stuff. I’ll probably reread then talk about it some more.

Top Bottom