• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Slight crisis

rjioej23

Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
This is not meant to be a therapy session. Am just airing some thoughts and trying to find some sort of philosophical reason for the thoughts.

Situation:

I live alone and haven't been in a relationship for a long time. I work relatively long hours at work and when not at work, spend time with friends. Recently, I have been noticing that I have little energy to think about what i'm doing and my future. I'm effectively just doing what I need to and not thinking of ways to improve/change my life. I feel like i'm in a rut.

My thoughts:

- It feels like i'm going through an existential crisis. Existence feels like nothingness. There is no drive to do anything that isn't routine. I'm stuck in a rut.

- Taking a psychoanalytic view on this, it is maybe that my desires are not being fulfilled and hence the problem with the forward drive in my life.

- Taking a Buddhist point of view, I need to start meditating and realise that my desires shouldn't be getting fulfilled and I shouldn't be attached to them. I will only be happy when I see life as a mirage.

I'm confused as you can see. Any philosophical standpoints that can help with my conundrum?

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 6:51 AM
-->
I'm not too interested in general philosophy.

But what I've read from Albert Camus was soothing.

Cavalli

"Tyger, Tyger"
Local time
Today 1:51 PM
-->
Felt similar when I was having a bad time with my schooling last year. Came across some of Nietzsche's work and that really got me thinking. I found nilhism to be a surprisingly effective motivator; essentially allowing me to realise that the world is my oyster and I'm free to literally just live.

Perhaps the age gap will render this null and void for you, but I don't know, see what you think.

rjioej23

Local time
-->
I'm in my early 30s. Nihilism is a little too aggressive and egotistical I find: carpe diem etc. There must be more of a balance between satisfying the ego and helping others in order to be happy I find. I like Camus's idea of Sisyphus: life is random and pointless and enjoy the moments you can and laugh at its absurdity.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
The pressure of doing something new or extraordinary seems quite intertwined in culture. We can't be content by having a normal, "uneventful" life, there must be something constantly happening. Or we have to be on our way to become or perform the extraordinary. Sometimes there isn't much going on in life, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed for the experience itself.

If you are generally tired and feel unmotivated, it might be an indicator of stress becoming more overwhelming than desirable.

It's kinda difficult to say anything specific from the small piece of information provided. I'm not able to pinpoint the problem accurately. Is it the lack of motivation you find most troublesome?

Philosophical reasons for thoughts. Why?
I don't usually think of my thoughts or anyone else's as philosophical or not, so I'm not sure what you put into that.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:51 PM
-->
Sounds like an existential crisis is what you need and want.

Unfortunately relationships aren't something you can just do, indeed the harder you try the harder it can become, my advice is to focus on sorting out everything else in your life because the more happy, successful, healthy, cultured, educated, skilled, etc, you are the more likely you'll end up being what someone else is looking for.

It's just a theory.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 1:51 AM
-->
I feel like i'm in a rut.

... Any philosophical standpoints that can help with my conundrum?
You want a philosophical standpoint? Answer: separation.

How about a psychological one? You are doing the same thing over and over. Thinking is the hard way to get out of this. Next time you get a vacation you will be forced into a different state of mind. Or let any difference overtake you, like posing this to a new person or some silly bulletin board. THEN reflect on this new perspective. This should precipitate alternatives.

rjioej23

Local time
-->
Thanks all. General perception: thinking and trying to overanalyse situations and mental states may be creating cycles of repeated thought patterns. As an aside, I just went for a run. Feel good. Maybe get some sushi now with some friends. And some drinks. Sorry for this slightly egotistical thread. Maybe not thinking about your actions (though at the same time holding onto some morals i.e. killing people is bad, being rude is not nice) is the best way forward. I don't know.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
This is not meant to be a therapy session. Am just airing some thoughts and trying to find some sort of philosophical reason for the thoughts.

Situation:

I live alone and haven't been in a relationship for a long time. I work relatively long hours at work and when not at work, spend time with friends. Recently, I have been noticing that I have little energy to think about what i'm doing and my future. I'm effectively just doing what I need to and not thinking of ways to improve/change my life. I feel like i'm in a rut.

My thoughts:

- It feels like i'm going through an existential crisis. Existence feels like nothingness. There is no drive to do anything that isn't routine. I'm stuck in a rut.

- Taking a psychoanalytic view on this, it is maybe that my desires are not being fulfilled and hence the problem with the forward drive in my life.

- Taking a Buddhist point of view, I need to start meditating and realise that my desires shouldn't be getting fulfilled and I shouldn't be attached to them. I will only be happy when I see life as a mirage.

I'm confused as you can see. Any philosophical standpoints that can help with my conundrum?

I think as intuitives we evolve way too fast when everyone else (sensors) in society don't want to evolve, therefore we tend to feel isolated. We want constant change while others don't want any.
Evolving and helping others evolve is what we are here for, however when people we apprecreciate / love refuse to evolve, there is so much we can evolve to by ourselves, and there is a point we reach we have spiritually evolved so much we left society far behind, we are bound to bump into an existencial crisis... Reminds me a bit Nietzsche and the fact that in his era no one could understand what he was writing about, it's only been in the last 50 years or so (and now more than ever) that more people can... Talk about being a visionary !

You mentionned meditation, im not sure it will solve problems as such; ive been meditating every day for 2 years and sure i don't have any desires no more (besides wishing others around me would change for the better), but i have also lost my drive... I also left a good job, my partner of 12 years and a country i had been living for 17 years pretty much as a result of feeling stuck in routine with no hope to change... To yet fall into another routine, this time with no job nor partner and back into my home country with no friends around, only a lot of accumulated savings but having no drive to spend them on (been there, done it in the past).

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Based on your revealed age in another post, I'd also suggest the possibility that this is one of those things that happens to some people after their 20s. Once you're in your 30s, there's this "I guess I'm in this for the long haul" issue to come to terms with.

From birth until about 5, there are all sorts of interesting things going on in the brain and personality. Lots of stuff with parents, maybe siblings, etc.

From about 5 until about 12, there are all sorts of new interesting things going on as well, often with socialization through school, etc.

From about 12 until about 19, there are even more new interesting things going on (puberty, adolescence, etc.).

By about 20, a person has had a whole lifetime of experiences as a child, but, not so much as an adult. So, you get to start over again (albeit, not from scratch, as it were). But, there are lots of interesting new things happening to people in their 20s as well (having kids, getting into serious relationships, learning about employment from a mature perspective, etc.).

Once you hit 30, you see you're in it for the long haul, and that has its own consequences.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
honestly it sounds like you're growing up and confronting reality

boy does it fucking suck

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"How about a psychological one? You are doing the same thing over and over. Thinking is the hard way to get out of this."

^ This.
Change your physical context to some degree.

On a much less philosophical note: Add some B vitamins? I find they make a noticeable difference in my energy level. Your mileage may vary, of course.

rjioej23

Local time
-->
I think the answer is eat well, exercise, have loving and honest relationships (both sexual and non-sexual) with those around you and those who can reciprocate these feelings. Thinking is crap sometimes. Throwing yourself into situations and not overanalysing is good.

Top Bottom