• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Shooting guns

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 3:31 AM
-->
I was wondering how many of you guys like to go out shooting? What kind of guns do you have? What's your favorite to shoot?

I went very early this morning after pulling an all nighter with my friends. We drove 3 hour through back roads into the middle of the desert. And yes, booze were involved. Fun night/morning, and now I've been up for almost 23 hours.

Edit: Now that I think about it. Booze made the initial decision to go out, but we were all sober by the time we made it out to the location.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 6:31 AM
-->

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
Yes, 9mm and .22, both semis. I don't hunt (I'm a vegetarian) but I enjoy shooting for sport.

DrSketchpad

Local time
Today 10:31 AM
-->
Well I live in Texas on a ranch, It's more of an everyday required thing lol.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Skeet shooting with my dad occasionally, I'm not very good at it.

Affinity

Local time
-->
P229-detail-L.jpg

Sig Sauer P229R .40mm S&W is what I got. I don't really shoot it often. Come to think of it, I don't really know why I got it lol.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
Walther P99 and Remington 870. Both now sold due to moving to Mexico. Don't really miss 'em...ammo was expensive and making the 80 mile trek out to the desert just for the privilege of shooting them was kind of a hassle as well.

Traianus

lost in the static
Local time
-->
I enjoy it and used to do a lot of shooting when I was younger. I still hunt whenever time permits, but I only shoot enough these days to maintain proficiency. I suppose I would shoot more if I didn't have to go to a damned range. I miss being able to drive for 15 minutes to get to the middle of nowhere.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Mildly interested, but no, never been nor do I own any firearms.

I was offered to go hunting once but I'm not really in favor of hunting / useless killing.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Can I just say how horrified I am by American culture and you people in general. It's amazing how a country composed of the British and Irish can be so drastically alien to us. O-o

Over here anyone who owns a gun is a scumbag/terrorist, and anyone found with a gun is given a wide berth prior to getting their head kicked in by Irelands finest. XD

Oh. But in the spirit of the thing!

I own a sixty inch twenty two poundage recurve bow, part wood part metal with a set of 8 shiny platinum arrows. (They're not actually platinum, that's what they're called. I think they're carbon) That's about as technical as I get.

And I might say it requires a damned more skill than your petty metal and smoke machines gentlemen! :D Pip-Pip!

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Any pictures of that bow?
I have some nice memories with those things.

As for me, I have a fairly expensive hunting slingshot and 3 latex swords. I wouldn't like my chances of winning any duels against anyone else in this thread, but I might dare to take on Melkor and his bow. It would be a long fight I'd imagine. He wouldn't have any clue as to how to use his bow, and I would have to get really lucky with my shots. It takes a while to die if the only ammunition I have available to go with my slingshot are pebbles.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Oi!I practice twice a week in two hour sessions! It's not much, but it's enough to know how to hit a target thirty feet away.

So if you please, don't stand over thirty feet away, and don't move. And we'll be fine!

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
-->
Can I just say how horrified I am by American culture and you people in general. It's amazing how a country composed of the British and Irish can be so drastically alien to us. O-o

Over here anyone who owns a gun is a scumbag/terrorist, and anyone found with a gun is given a wide berth prior to getting their head kicked in by Irelands finest. XD

My relatives in Ireland own shotguns and they've never been considered to be scumbags/terrorists. The only time they've had a problem with the guarda was after some tinkers turned their horses loose to graze in our fields. My cousins shot over the horses' heads to drive them out. The tinkers went to the guarda, who came and took my cousins' guns for a day, then gave them back the following morning (the tinkers had since moved on). There were no other problems and no one thinks my cousins are scum for owning guns.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Hrm. Sounds like country folk, who as a matter of principle are looked down upon anyway, and are so far removed from the majority of society that they have their own separate and often backward cultures. :P

And you don't sound as if you actually know what the opinions of this glorious island are sir, I suggest you visit!

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->

Oh. But in the spirit of the thing!

I own a sixty inch twenty two poundage recurve bow, part wood part metal with a set of 8 shiny platinum arrows. (They're not actually platinum, that's what they're called. I think they're carbon) That's about as technical as I get.

And I might say it requires a damned more skill than your petty metal and smoke machines gentlemen! :D Pip-Pip!

Yeah, something about the pot calling the kettle black...

Don't mind me

Local time
Today 12:31 PM
-->
And you don't sound as if you actually know what the opinions of this glorious island are sir, I suggest you visit!

It's odd when people talk about geographic areas having opinions.

By the way, those country folk who apparently remove the count from country are estimated to constitute almost 40% of your population, souhm.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 5:31 AM
-->
My weapon of choice used to be a 30.06 pump with a fixed 6X scope. I used to hunt a lot before I became really good at it, then once it was no longer was a challenge, I lost interest. I brought down my last 3 deer with perfect shots at long range.

Killing innocent animals really is not a sport, but something else, a connection with one's roots, a puberty rite, something satisfyingly primitive in a civilization built upon a Hegelian dialectic of frustrating the primitive.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Guns are a cowards weapon. :D

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 11:31 AM
-->
guns are for kids only. and collectors (who don't need munition, who like those classical models, they adored in their childhood)

shooting is fun, but obsessing over new models, that are both designed and actually used to kill ... humans ... in the real world, in the presence, probably at the exact same moment, by both military and illegal forces, well that's so disgustingly .... american, i guess :( i think insensitive was the word i had in mind first. out of touch. tasteless.

Lot

Local time
-->
I've been planning on buying a Mosin Nagant 9130. Seems like a good gun for my broke ass budget. Anyone got any experience with one?

1853 enfield, nice old school gun. You do civil war reenactments, don't you EditorOne.

Guns might be a coward's weapon, but then again that's what was said about bows 500+ years ago. A bow can still be a very good tactical weapon. Good for hunting and defending ones self from the shadows. Plus it's easier to make your own ammo if need be. Guns on the other hand, have way more stopping power than a bow.

I see guns as a good way to defend myself from infiltrators and government, and if need be good for hunting for food if shit hit the fan and I had to take off into the wilderness.

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
-->
Hrm. Sounds like country folk, who as a matter of principle are looked down upon anyway, and are so far removed from the majority of society that they have their own separate and often backward cultures. :P

I lived in Dublin and I never heard or saw anything of the attitude towards guns and gun owners that you described. I'm Irish and a woman, btw.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
I don't think there are any gun owners in dublin miss, you have to go to some of the more troubled areas of Ireland to find them in any number.

Believe me, they're looked down upon. Considering next to none of us own guns and the guns laws are incredibly strict in comparison to most, it's widely believed (and in many cases true) that those who own guns are up to no good.

But bleh. You americans are a whole other race. XD

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"1853 enfield, nice old school gun. You do civil war reenactments, don't you EditorOne."

Yes. Like journalism, it offers almost endless opportunities for new information and experiences and insights.

And I'm not likely to use it in a driveby. :)

skip

Sock connoisseur
Local time
-->
I don't think there are any gun owners in dublin miss,

We were talking about attitudes, not ownership.

you have to go to some of the more troubled areas of Ireland to find them in any number.

Co. Kildare is hardly "troubled," lol.

Believe me, they're looked down upon.

I'm sure they are among the people you hang around with but you don't speak for all of us.

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
But bleh. You americans are a whole other race. XD

So we excel at gun ownership. Yeah, well...whatever. At least we don't excel at being stuck-up pricks. XD

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
Meh, I prefer knives and bows over guns. Although I have a 12 gauge shotgun and a .30-.06 rifle .

Local time
-->
As of now I've got a 30.06 Springfield, 30-30 Winchester, .22 Marlin, Smith & Wesson .38 Special, Diamond bow and 3 atlatls. All rifles are bolt action.

I never really go out shooting. I just sight everything in for hunting. The .38 I might shoot once a year or two for the hell of it, and I don't use the bow anymore because of school. The atlatls are homemade for fun and are... awesome.

My favorite to shoot is the .22 since accuracy >>> firepower. And no to the booze.

Local time
-->
I use it for scaring deer and shooting predatory birds. Haven't gotten any birds yet.

Uh... why are you shooting at predatory birds (Migratory Bird Treaty Act)? If they're causing a problem contact a falconer who can bal chatri 'em and either transport them elsewhere or take them on as a new bird. I know firsthand that NY Falconry Association knows their stuff, at least in Cobleskill and ESF.

deconspire

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Love shooting. Very relaxing for me, especially early in the morning when no one is at the range yet. I find it very satisfying to know that you can adjust to get the results you want.

I have a few:

Howa 1500. I have a lot more experience on the Remington 700 model they use in the Army, but I like the larger bolt-handle and the vertical pistol grip much better. Acuracy is a wash, but the Howa is heavier.
howapack-tantact1.jpg
Fn-Fal. It's the CETME version so it's legal. I like it, but it's heavy as fuck. It spits fire at 200m, though. I want to trade it in for something a bit lighter but I haven't figured out what yet.
fal.jpg
S&W ladysmith. This is the updated version of the model 36 or chief's special as it was called. It's my concealed carry firearm.
model36LS.jpg
Colt 1911. Best. Handgun. Ever. Made.
1911_446933m.jpg

I also have a generic .22 and a mossberg 500 I bought from a friend that is all tac'd out and I'm embarrassed of it. Why do you need to fucking tac out a fucking shotgun?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Irish and a woman, btw.

@skip

Fuck, now I find out! Not that it really matters but I thought you were a guy, kind of disconcerting to find out otherwise.

I wish these boards had a gender and type field in the sidebar.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
"1853 enfield, nice old school gun. You do civil war reenactments, don't you EditorOne."

Yes. Like journalism, it offers almost endless opportunities for new information and experiences and insights.

@EO, care to share? /curious

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 12:31 PM
-->
M16 assault rifle
M109 155mm (6.1 inches) howitzer
Artillery_Corps_Fires_Practice_Cannon3.jpg
Never fired either just for fun, but did have fun firing them (not enough to make maintaining them worth it though)
Never fired outside of training either.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
May I humbly request if you are going to shoot off that thing near my house, you add a silencer? I'm trying to sleep.:mad:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
You too. Please add silencers to those things. Furthermore don't aim anywhere near my direction. From the looks of your icon, you finger is non too steady.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@EO, care to share? /curious
referencing Civil War reenacting.

It resists explanation, Architect. It is very much"you have to be there." When you get beyond the clowns you see doing CW reenacting on television, there's a bunch of folks trying to capture history, relive it, and come to a better understanding of it. Since new information is coming to light almost weekly from letters, photos and journals turning up in attics, and from archaeological research, the process of learning never stops. "Find out what went on; understand it for your own benefit; show it to others." It rings a lot of INTP bells, especially the "figure it out" elements. A really simple example: Read historians about the war and they inevitably lament that such and such army won a great victory but failed to follow it up with a decisive blow. Practical experience in the field shows that, given the organization and maneuver tactics of the era, both victory and defeat were equally disruptive of command and control, and that's even without the trauma of the extreme violence fighting in that era produced. The hugeness of the fighting knocked the crap out of army commanders, too, just a reaction to having made decisions that inevitably got a lot of people killed and mangled even if they won the battle. It wasn't until the North had Grant in command -- a very INTP-like guy, by the way -- that they would follow up not only on a victory, but on a defeat or even a setback, and just keep grinding it out. So not only did I take "book learning" a step farther to understand something you can't get to unless you see it happening, I also created a context for understanding why Grant was different and why he also made a difference. I find that to be fun. :)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
M16 assault rifle
M109 155mm (6.1 inches) howitzer
Artillery_Corps_Fires_Practice_Cannon3.jpg
Never fired either just for fun, but did have fun firing them (not enough to make maintaining them worth it though)
Never fired outside of training either.

I forgot what made me realize it, but, for some reason, for a long time, it never connected in my mind that tanks were essentially mobile and armored artillery. I just thought of them as tanks.

Lot

Local time
-->
I went a bought my mosin nagant rifle. I'm going to be shooting it tomorrow. I didn't realize how easy it was to buy a gun in AZ. I just filled out some paper work, they called the FBI, and I got my gun. It was maybe a 20 min process. I also just found out that you can buy ammo online, no questions asked, in AZ.

HiddenScholar

Gentlemen
Local time
-->
You americans are a whole other race. XD
Yes, this was made perfectly clear to us after the Boston massacre.
Our guns were also an important part in the revolution...:p
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
-->
I was wondering how many of you guys like to go out shooting? What kind of guns do you have? What's your favorite to shoot?

I went very early this morning after pulling an all nighter with my friends. We drove 3 hour through back roads into the middle of the desert. And yes, booze were involved. Fun night/morning, and now I've been up for almost 23 hours.

Edit: Now that I think about it. Booze made the initial decision to go out, but we were all sober by the time we made it out to the location.

how do we know you don't work for the FBI and you're just trying to identify who's packin heat?

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Scared of them personally.

Top Bottom