• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Share your cool Tech. Tips

OrionzRevenge

Local time
Today 2:41 AM
-->
This From another forum.

It lets you double-click a word, and then right-click it for a pop-up definition.

Really easy to use. I use it every day.

Dictionary Tooltip

The Firefox link is in the upper-right. It's hard to find at first.

Dictionary Tooltip is a firefox addon which displays the definition of words in a small tooltip on the same page. You don't have to open a new tab to see the definition. You do not lost the context and showing the definition in a tooltip helps you to focus more on what you were reading.

* Just double-click on a word and you get the meaning on the same page (or)
* Select the word, right-click and select "DictionaryTip" to see the definition (or)
* Select the word and press Ctrl+K to see the definition

Features

* Supports various dictionary websites: DictionaryTip currently supports a wide range of websites. There are many translation websites like German -> English, Japanese -> English, Spanish -> English etc.
* Lookup Definitions from different sites with 1-click: DicitonaryTip interface allows you to easily switch the websites and translations to lookup the definintions.
* Add Custom Sites: You can add your favorite sites through a user-friendly interface. There are both Simple and Expert Modes to customize the appearance for normal and power users.
* Improve your vocabulary: DictionaryTip can help you to improve your vocabulary as it stores all the words you viewed locally for future reference.
You can write some notes for the word for easy remembrance.
You can see how many times you viewed, the website and the date you saw the definition.
When you double click in the middle of a word, the whole word becomes highlighted. Then if you right click the small DictionaryTip icon will appear on-screen. Hovering over same will instantly summon this little pop-up...

bannerImage.png

Ska

Local time
-->
Holy shit...I love you for sharing this. THANK YOU.

Huxley

Colour red
Local time
Today 7:41 AM
-->
My eyes are capable of recognising danger in the the depth of testosterone filled action - not only danger that is partially in my favour, but instead when it applies to others.

My senses can work together in the dark; using every single line of electronical input code my brain possible can decode. I am human - and with my brain; a brain unlike any other, I can understand space travel and time paradoxes; I can contemplate the very definition of human achievement: I can paint art like Picasso, I can write like Shakespeare, travel time like Doc, because Yes, I am human.

I can expand myself beyond the length of my body - and to alternate between dream and reality is my job.

My body is the best tech I have, but I still love my iPhone.

Death

..still alive
Local time
Today 6:41 AM
-->
I use google dictionary since I am using chromium..

Google Dictionary (by Google)

With this extension, you can:
1) Double-click any word to view its definition in a small pop-up bubble.
2) View the complete definition of any word or phrase using the address bar dictionary.

Both features are configurable via the options page.

Last time, before switching from Firefox to Chromium I used an extension from answer.com,which pretty does the same thing..

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Pastebin extension for chromium/firefox: PRICELESS

Also: If your partitions are funky, the gparted livecd will get you sorted quickly: including merging and resizing ntfs partitions in a way that even the moderately-intelligent layman can understand.

Disclaimer: doing anything to partitions always has a tiny chance (never seen it happen personally) to mess stuff up. If you don't back up your stuff, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Oh, and death, nice OS/browser combo. I presume chromium, but what distro are you using. I'm an Arch man, personally.

noctilux

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I also use Chromium on Linux and absolutely love the Readability extension:

Readability - Chrome/Chromium

It automatically finds the main body of text on a website (most of the time) and reformats it into something much easier to read, eliminating all the annoying clutter on the site.

Once installed, click the Readability icon in the toolbar to reformat the text. You can set up a keyboard shortcut in the options, which I find much more practical.

If you're a Firefox user, here's the link to your version:

Readability - Firefox

@Wisp, Death: I agree, nice combo! I'm using Ubuntu, but want to give Arch a try soon. I'm a little reluctant to touch my running system, though...

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
http://vi.sualize.us/

VisualizeUs is a social bookmarking website for visual contents — VisualizeUs (read visualize us) allows you to remember your favorite images from all over the web, and share them with everyone.

Within two clicks, you can quote the image reference in your account, and easily look at it whenever you want to, just as your new favorite picture deserves. All without thinking about what computer you stored it in: always online, always available.

With the VisualizeUs Firefox extension you only have to right click over the picture you love. Not browsing with Firefox? Don't worry, there's also a browser button available.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
Remove element - Chrome

Creates a contextual menu item to remove an element from a website

If you use Firefox, "Nuke Anything" is pretty much the same.

Sad Lions

Eater of Cookies
Local time
-->
Igoogle

I use it as my homepage, some of the gadgets are pretty cool, like NY Times crossword (very useful vocab training for Norwegian students trying to study at Sydney University), chess, sudoku, google reader/calender, etc.

mke2686

Local time
-->
Go to local disk C/windows/system32 and delete it your pc will be at least twice as fast.

:D

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 11:41 PM
-->

Zornhau

Redshirt
Local time
-->
https://www.torproject.org/

Bounces your IP address around the world through a system of volunteer nodes. Great for getting around pesky proxies. Used in places like China to do just that

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
If you're using FireFox on Windows, and it locks up, check for a Java or a plug-in memory hog. End the process(under the Processes tab, not Applications) with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Dunno about other OSs.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
i am using firefox on windows 7. i just had the first executed trojan on my computer, ever (i'm using computers since 1998), after clicking on a random google search result. why? fucking JAVA. disable it! i thought i had disabled it, but not in this installation. luckily the little shit was rather impotent and i could easily wipe it out.

btw: my favorite computer program is powerpro:

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

super powerfull shell (explorer) replacement. i use it as such, with litestep for tray. its a scripting tool with user interface elements. you have to invent it from scratch, if you want it to take over your system. initially it's just a boring toolbar.

downside is that developement is almost over (one man project, closed source). since it has a long but easy learing curve i would personally not learn it now, since it may die out soon. still, best toy ever.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
There are a variety of ways to do this:
Disk Imaging and Disk-to-Disk Cloning
External USB HDDs
FTP to other computers(you may be able to find an old PC that isn't being used, RAM doesn't matter)
Removeable Media(USB zip drives, CDs, DVDs, SD card, iPod etc)
Dedicated Hosting (e.g. seedbox)
Ethernet / Direct Peer to Peer File Transfer
Router / Network File Transfer

Recovery and General Purpose Emergency Tools:
EaseUS - data recovery
TestDisk - data recovery
Ubuntu Live - disc / zip drive bootable of a live operating system
Windows 98 Startup Disk

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Image hosting and editing

Imgur addon for FireFox and Chrome lets you upload any image with a valid file extension you see on the net directly on imgur through a right click menu. Also lets you upload complete or partial screenshots, and you can edit the image before upload with the Aviary api.

Speaking of Aviary you can get a browser addon from their site too.

This is a link Blob posted a long while ago and it's a shame it gets lost

http://freeartsoftware.com/

It features an extensive repository of software, not just for image editing but also video editing, animation, 3D modeling, music.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
http://blog.ryantadams.com/2008/02/...he-network-pxe-boot-with-tftp-and-windows-pe/

How to Install Vista on a M200 Without a CD Drive Using TFTP

Recently, my Toshiba M200 stopped booting. I needed it reinstall Windows, but the M200 doesn’t have a CD drive. I tried everything from booting from a Secure Digital card to external USB drives (which weren’t recognized at the BIOS level). Finally I came across information about PXE booting, also know as booting from a network connection. Using the method below, I was able to install Windows Vista from the original DVD. This method should work for any computer that allows PXE booting, and will allow you to install any operating system, but is most practical when the computer doesn’t have a working CD/DVD drive.

This is a tutorial for installing Windows Vista on a tablet PC from a network connection(handy if your disc drives, HDD or USB ports can't boot for some reason), but can be interchanged with other OSes and any host computer running Windows. It's also a basic setup guide to general network(ethernet) booting.

It's pretty straightforward, though you might have to use a little thinking to tweak minor settings.

Local time
-->
1. I'm assuming you all know about fileshredder?

2. Mild speed boost for Windows peeps:

Right click on Computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings>Advanced (*tab)>Settings (Performance)>Advanced>Change (Virtual Memory)>Custom Size

Make the number for the page file size huge (i.e. if 4000 is recommended make the min 5000 and max 10000).

>Set>OK

Otherside

Local time
Today 1:41 AM
-->
Monster cables are a ridiculous rip-off.

mke2686

Local time
-->
ctrl+f while in your web browser is a very useful tool...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Turn Off LCD

Turn Off LCD is just a small executable that turns your display off when you run it. It doesn't run in the background or take up any system resources; it just makes sleeping your display a little bit easier (so you don't have to hit the brightness buttons, or if you're on a desktop, turn the entire monitor off). To turn your monitor back on, just wiggle the mouse as normal.​

http://lifehacker.com/5783119/turn-...r-monitor-to-sleep-for-better-battery-savings

For laptops without built-in options to turn off the display

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
cool Thread.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cgbhdenfmgbagncdmgbholejjpmmiank

Youtube Ratings Preview: Show the likes and dislikes bar over every video thumbnail in YouTube so that you can know its rating before watching it.

How many times have you gone to a video only to discover that it's a total waste? YouTube™ Rating Preview allows you to take those few seconds of life you would have lost.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hhfkcobomkalfdlmkongnhnhahkmnaad

Search by speaking. I think it really is a faster way to search, you just need to somehow find a way to auto-set your tab to google. Ctrl + Shift + period is the shortcut. Ctrl + N to open new tab. I think it'd be great to have the entire computer voiced, except in such a less crude manner that we have today. [fucking tired of the mouse and keyboard]

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
iPod Access
  • Support for Mac OSX / Windows 7, Vista and Windows XP
  • Works with all PC formatted iPod, Nano, Shuffle and Mini models
  • iPhone and iPod touch Support
http://www.findleydesigns.com/index.html

A few years ago, this was the only free copying program I could find that supported my iPod Touch. I don't know if anything better is out there now, but I know that this one works at least, and it keeps your songs organized.

The free version is a trial, you "need" to purchase the full product to access all features.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Search by speaking. I think it really is a faster way to search, you just need to somehow find a way to auto-set your tab to google.
Both Chrome and Firefox have a tab redirector addon.

Chrome

When the page is set for https://www.google.com, the cursor automatically is on the search bar too.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Chrome Toolbox

Features:
  • Warning dialog to prevent multiple tabs from being closed
  • Magnify any image on a web page, set it as your wallpaper, and view it in its original size
  • Drag any video on a web page (Flash and HTML5 video) out of the page in its own stand-alone window, closing the window puts it back to the original page, both with play state reservation
  • Customize tab behavior to close the tab on double click, to create a new tab on closing the last tab, and to always open a link in its own tab
  • Save and restore unsubmitted form data, to avoid data loss caused by session expiration or a no-cache page setting
  • One shortcut to launch all predefined URLs (from your Bookmark Manager folder)
  • Mute all tabs

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fjccknnhdnkbanjilpjddjhmkghmachn?hl=en-US

Also, if you haven't already:
Settings > On startup > 'Continue where I left off'

It saves your tabs if your window has been closed, but may malfunction if you use more than one window.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Can your computer run that game?

System Requirements Lab analyzes your computer in just seconds, and it's FREE.
  • Get your complete report in seconds including upgrade suggestions for your computer.
  • Only your system's hardware and system software are evaluated.
  • No personally identifiable information is collected.
  • Works on Windows XP, 2000, 2003, Vista and 7.
  • Works with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome browsers.
  • You will need to give your permission to download a secure ActiveX/Java browser component.
  • You can easily uninstall the ActiveX/Java browser component when the analysis is complete.

This site provides a One-Click solution that looks at your computer's hardware and system software to determine whether or not your current system can run a product. Each of your computer's components is evaluated to see how well it meets the minimum and recommended requirements for specific products. Recommendations are made on how to update or upgrade each component which does not meet the listed requirements. Sometimes, a simple, free software download is all that is needed. Sometimes you'll find that you need a different video card to fully experience what the game has to offer.
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Looks quite complicated.

I suppose that in order to access windows encrypted files all you would have to do is mount the filesystem and cd into it as root (if it is even necessary to do it as root).

Damn, I love Linux.

It takes less than a minute, after installing chntpw.

Process:
>Activate community/universe software in Synaptic
terminal: sudo apt-get update
terminal: sudo apt-get install chntpw
>mount the HDD
terminal: cd /media
terminal: ls
terminal: cd <hard drive label>
terminal: cd WINDOWS/system32/config/
terminal: sudo chntpw SAM
> follow the directions to select what you want to execute (only takes a couple/four keystrokes)
>close and restart into Windows

But yeah if you want to access files it's pretty easy from Ubuntu. I think there are issues if Window's BitLocker encryption is activated though.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Host your own website with Dropbox:

Looking for a free and simple way to get a basic website up? Here are two webapps that can help. Both DropPages.com and Pancake.io use a shared Dropbox folder to host your web pages, making creating and editing your pages very quick.

Note that with both services, you're subject to Dropbox limits on data transfers. For free users, it's 10GB per day and for Pro, 250GB. Users whose Dropbox public links go over these limits will be automatically suspended. So these webapps may be really cool for hosting a small site (perhaps something you just share with friends or co-workers), but not for a major website.

http://lifehacker.com/5860139/host-web-pages-for-free-within-dropbox-with-droppages-or-pancakeio

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
This looks awesome. I might have to try one of these services soon with a .tk website and see if this would be capable of making a legitimate file hosting website.

A file hosting website?

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
A file hosting website?

Yeah, just a website that has no real content except files in a folder structure. I've seen quite a few of them around, it seems easy to do, and quite honestly, it's about all I care for a website currently.

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 3:41 AM
-->
(shift)+control+left/right to skip/select words, control+backspace/delete to delete words.

Putting a question mark at the beginning of text in Chrome's address bar forces it to be a search, and pressing control+enter forces it to be a URL.

AutoHotkey, TeraCopy, WinDirStat, Console.

Type 90 into a microwave instead of 1:30.

Forum pages that require an account to view are usually available in google cache (alternatively, you could just be google).

alt+F4 on the desktop to shut down.

Youtube: right-click, "copy video URL at current time"

Use google as your calculator.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Prey Project Geolocater
Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing -- easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.
http://preyproject.com/

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
Today 5:11 PM
-->
YTD video downloader. It's not super techy, but since I watch a lot of documentaries, this little sucker lets me queue up as many youtube vids or documentaries from places like undergrounddocumentaries.com as I like and downloads them sequentially so that it doesnt eat up all your bandwidth.

The other good thing about it is that you dont have to open the youtube video to download it, which therefore means that you dont have to put up with any of those annoying advertisements before or during the video.

Includes video conversion tool to other formats like AVI or mp3 and selsection of download quality.

http://download.cnet.com/YTD-Video-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
^ I use HD Downloader. It's a site that converts youtube audio/video online and downloads in different qualitie, including HQ. I think it can covert audio to different formats also, though apparently YT has an audio quality cap of only 192kbps so it's kind of useless.

Something I recently found helpful:
Add 'take ownership' option to windows explorer context menu

Mindmaps for fleshing out ideas.
+1

Ninite
for quick installation.

Falcon Guide for upgrading PC's.
I was going to post these myself, nice list.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
^ I use HD Downloader. It's a site that converts youtube audio/video online and downloads in different qualitie, including HQ. I think it can covert audio to different formats also, though apparently YT has an audio quality cap of only 192kbps so it's kind of useless.
those sites shut down all the time and require double handling of the data - from the content to the conversion site to you. Errors happen often, and are annoying. Plus theres a data trail.

Its a good site, dont get me wrong - but a discreet program living on your computer is, imo, better by far.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
those sites shut down all the time and require double handling of the data - from the content to the conversion site to you. Errors happen often, and are annoying. Plus theres a data trail.

Its a good site, dont get me wrong - but a discreet program living on your computer is, imo, better by far.

The site has been up for awhile(months), and I've never had any errors.

Also, I wasn't directly addressing/comparing your own contribution, just pointing out that I use something similar that others might find useful.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
The site has been up for awhile(months), and I've never had any errors.

Also, I wasn't directly addressing/comparing your own contribution, just pointing out that I use something similar that others might find useful.
Of course, as was I :). The INTP crowd are clever enough to figure out which method suits them best. Either way, with the abundance of fantastic online media content available to all of us, the acquisition of whatever workable tool to capture it is whats really important. imo of course

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Chrome extensions:

HTML5ify*: Force YouTube and Vimeo to use their HTML5 media player rather than flash.
Alternatively, use Chrome's default HTML5 player on YouTube.

Google Reverse Image Search: Adds reverse image search in the right-click context menu
TinEye Reverse Image Search : Alternative to Google

Wikipedia Search: Adds Wikipedia lookup to the right-click context menu

* Youtube is running an official beta, but some videos still run on flash due to ads(which you can block with an ad or bug blocker), and the beta requires cookies to be enabled to remember your settings.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
Today 12:41 AM
-->
If you press CTRL and scroll with your mouse wheel you can zoom in and out on the Firefox browser. It makes the font smaller and more smart looking.

NullPointer

Local time
Today 7:41 PM
-->
Consider getting NoScript for Firefox. It defaults to blocking all scripts, flash videos, pop-ups, etc., but you can explicitly allow elements on a page, or elements originating from a given site. If you're ever suspicious of a link someone gives you, it gives you a pretty strong immunity against any undesirable behaviour, and hasspecial safeguards against click-jacking etc.

That's why I have Firefox with NoScript as my default browser (so any links I get given from an instant messaging client will be opened in Firefox), but use Google Chrome for general purpose browsing.

Top Bottom