• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Server Hack of the 20th

ememisya

One That Is Many
Local time
Today 12:45 PM
-->
I'd avoid language like that, if I were you.

That's unless you want to commence astral battle.

Agios o Poseuranas

Any reasonable person could see that I don't actually mean it, just making a point of relaying how the comments made me feel :)

When people say, "Turks or Americans are a certain way" and associate a negative action to an ideal which represents people; it's that very inclusion which reasserts the negative action eventually increasing the problem.

It's plays on people's feeling of belonging, and sometimes they want to cast that negative action simply because they were judged into that group.

Bottom line is:

Hackers are assholes, as a matter of fact criminals in most countries, leave race and nationality out of it. It's irrelevant, and makes me want to prove you right.

Lyra

Genesis Engineering Speciation
Local time
Today 10:45 AM
-->
There is no escape for you now, mundane.

The curse has been cast.

Thou art sunken into the abyss as a skeleton flayed

Mousa-of-Swords.jpg

ememisya

One That Is Many
Local time
-->
An it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Lyra

Genesis Engineering Speciation
Local time
-->
[BIMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/daimonion_october/MM1.jpg?t=1285282769[/BIMG]

p.s. You're a Wiccan?

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 7:45 PM
-->
Come of guys we are INTP plot revenge...ohh cake....wait of track let us...tooo unnn motivated

ememisya

One That Is Many
Local time
-->
[BIMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/daimonion_october/MM1.jpg?t=1285282769[/BIMG]

p.s. You're a Wiccan?

The short answer is no,

The long answer is well you see, I have a very strange family :) We love each other to death of course but my mother is a Christian, my oldest brother is a Muslim, I sort of have my own personal beliefs, and my other older brother is a Wiccan (Not that "gothic-make-up-ooo-look-at-me" kind of Wiccan either, it's actually his religion).

As most Turks are really pagans in denial coming from a Shamanistic background (I guess you could say the same for a Catholic's love for St. Mary as the Goddess :)) I'm just well versed in the subject and I do believe (without proof) that will of the people affect the random chance of the Universe. My theory is magic being basically the Butterfly effect of our thoughts, not much different than praying, but could be affecting the universe sub-atomically like entangled photons.

Device Burst

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Rather than ineffectually posting "screw you, hacker", wouldn't it be more productive to do something about it?

One, upgrade vB, or get the admin to. 3.8.5 is far from the most vulnerable version of vB, but it does contain some things which could be used to hack user accounts, if not perhaps the site itself. Two, use Nginx or Apache on the server. Every pesky little skid has a few Litespeed sploits. Three, you say the hacker was Turkish, so you logged the IP, right? Whois it, report to the relevant ISP. The ISP won't do anything to the person, but you could extract the person's name, etc. from them which you could then use to look up their FB. A little social engineering later and you're in the account; it'd take a few posts to reach the point at which the hacker's lost the trust of his boss, girlfriend et al.

It is true that it's probably a proxy, but it's better than ranting.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 2:45 AM
-->
Rather than ineffectually posting "screw you, hacker", wouldn't it be more productive to do something about it?
Surely, you can't be serious.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 5:45 AM
-->
We know nothing of productivity.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
Mary, Mother of God, Intercede for Us Now and at The Time of Our Death

One, upgrade vB, or get the admin to. 3.8.5 is far from the most vulnerable version of vB, but it does contain some things which could be used to hack user accounts, if not perhaps the site itself. Two, use Nginx or Apache on the server. Every pesky little skid has a few Litespeed sploits. Three, you say the hacker was Turkish, so you logged the IP, right? Whois it, report to the relevant ISP. The ISP won't do anything to the person, but you could extract the person's name, etc. from them which you could then use to look up their FB. A little social engineering later and you're in the account; it'd take a few posts to reach the point at which the hacker's lost the trust of his boss, girlfriend et al.

It is true that it's probably a proxy, but it's better than ranting.

Sadly, you refrained from reading the OP. As has been mentioned a few times this wasn't a VB attack; it was a server attack and we happened to be caught up in the flow.

I will suggest to the hosts whose servers were taken that they should check the IP logs of their server farm.

Claverhouse :phear:

Magnus

Demon Hunter
Local time
Today 4:45 AM
-->
We know nothing of productivity.
I would disagree I think we are productive in ways that are not usually considered "productive".

Magnus

Demon Hunter
Local time
Today 4:45 AM
-->
laughter is like medicine after all.:p

24hoursplumber

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Restoration of Constantinople, now the idea. Maybe there's a parallel universe, where it has never Constantinople fell. When Christopher Columbus has never had a reason to "discover" America and the Byzantine Empire in place of the Holy Roman Empire became the dominant force in the history of ...

GottabeKB

Lover of Truth
Local time
Today 3:45 AM
-->
vBulletin 3.8.5 has absolutely NO vulnerabilities, meaning that this version of vBulletin cannot be hacked. If you ran something other than 3.8.5, then I don't doubt you got hacked, especially if you were running a nulled version.

Ha. I think you guys scared him off. Look at his post count!
I smell troll... if he were really an INTP he would be a disgrace to that name.

TheHmmmm

Welcome to Costco, I love you
Local time
Today 2:45 AM
-->
Ha. I think you guys scared him off. Look at his post count!
I smell troll... if he were really an INTP he would be a disgrace to that name.

He is a person from...another forum.

Top Bottom