• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Selective Service?

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Today 1:58 PM
-->
I just got my selective service form from the govt. asking me to choose which branch of the armed services I'd like to join if the draft is reinstated.

Navy or Air-force?

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
-->
I'm biting my tongue.

Gah! Must speak!
Why not emigrate to some place you're not considered cannon-fodder?

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
They'll put you where they need you if the time comes. That's the way it worked when there was a draft. If you have a particular aptitude they need, it will be given some thought, but if they need a rifleman it won't matter that you can do quadratic equations while simultaneously writing an essay on international relations. Even now folks enlisting as volunteers are finding that things aren't working out for them exactly as planned, with some exception to that if you can go in as a college graduate with ROTC or other training. The surest way to get what you want from a military career is to get into Annapolis or West Point or -- what is it in England? Sandhurst? A college-level military academy, regardless of what nation.

Did you know that for all the computerization and mechanization, light artillery officers still use a paper and pencil to calculate 18 or so variables that let them put a shell down within a couple of yards of target? That's U.S. Army, referencing for an international forum.... Had a young friend who just got out after 16 months of shooting in Afghanistan, that's how I acquired that tidbit.

The military is not deliberately hostile to INTPs, but what amounts to middle management is quite dominated by personality types we seem to find incomprehensible. It might take you a long time to rise through the ranks to the point where your INTP qualities can be fully deployed without you running into the problem of being the square peg in an endless sea of round holes. A lot of career fields are like that.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
I don't think I'll forsake my US citizenry just yet.

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
I just got my selective service form from the govt. asking me to choose which branch of the armed services I'd like to join if the draft is reinstated.

Navy or Air-force?

Air-force, but I really prefer the Marines...
They're the toughest and most organized.

Olba

Local time
Today 8:58 PM
-->
Poor you, needing to do the army.

Here in Finland, we are faced with at least 4 options. 1. Join the army. 2. Join the army but skip the arms training 3. Do non-military service 4. Go to jail.

Well, 1. is of course the choice most people make. 2. is for those who don't mind hitting the army but don't like weapons. 3. is for those who don't want to go the actual fields of war. 4. is for those who refuse to do any of the other 3 options. In the case that you choose to go to jail, you will either be there for a year or until the President lets you off.

In my case, I chose option number 3 because I don't see any point in going to army in the first place. Yeah, you learn to kill and you're spoon-fed a whole lot of nationalistic crap. Oh damn, I don't need any of that, nor do I see my country as an entity worth dying for. Also, if I don't do the arms training, army would be nothing but a big, long P.E. lesson. Which I can choose to do on my free time if I desire to do so. Indeed, I'm too selfish to die for anyone or anything, nor do I see my country or things such as "honour" important. Not like being a "hero of my country" means much if I get shot dead. "Yay, I'm a hero! Oh wait, did I just die? Damn, this sucks!"

And what's best, we have the legal right to actually do non-military service.

If I had to pick a place in the army, I would choose the one that is less likely to be used and the one that kills less.

Between the AF and Navy, guess that would then be the Navy.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
well technically I only have to go into one of the services if America decides to bring back the draft. In which case I have several things that could potentially get me out of service

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:58 PM
-->
Military service is optional here in Argentina, you can do it if you want and you get paid for it (its just like any other career/job), if you choose not to then there is no problem at all, its pretty nice. Needless to say i didnt do it.

Local time
-->
Here in Finland

off topic, but a friend had 2 finnish exchange students stay a while, one named pekka (can't remember the other)- we carried him out in our boat and he loved water skiing .....we finally had to just stop the boat because he never tired.......
they both wanted to remain in the states...........for all its faults this country is still the greatest imo

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
Is it true that as an American citizen, I am not allowed to join the military of another country?

I was reading up on the Mossad the other day, and briefly thought about it (I probably wouldn't); but then someone told me American citizens must revoke their citizenship in order to serve in the military of a foreign nation.

:\

I dislike this government encroaching on that freedom... that should be a recommendation, not a demand. At least allow me to join the military of allied nations.

.L

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
some countries don't have global hegemony on their minds. :D

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Maybe. It appears your citizenship CAN be revoked if you serve in the foreign military, but it also appears there's nothing automatic about it.

Where it gets automatic is when you swear an oath to uphold the government of that country, which you'd likely have to do if you went in as an officer as opposed to rank and file. That is presumed to nullify your "assumed" duty to uphold the government of this country, as a good citizen. (You're more or less born with that duty, is the way it works.)

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Ewww... Stupid countries, demanding my loyalties...

Olba

Local time
Today 8:58 PM
-->
Ewww... Stupid countries, demanding my loyalties...

Well, it isn't exactly practical for the nation to let their citizens join foreign armies. In the worst case and the case that they think about, you will be killing other citizens from that nation. Which just doesn't sound or look good.

However, it also makes very little sense for a nation to demand that you go to the army. That will just make the nation look militarist and foolish, if anything.

Well, here in Finland, you're only demanded to serve the nation somehow. Well, it doesn't really matter, since it's pretty much a guaranteed that we won't be having a war on our grounds in any time soon. After all, it wouldn't make any sense for anyone to terrorize the country, so that's out. And the only nations I can see trying to invade would be Russia and Sweden. Actually, not even that. After all, Sweden has very little chance to do so without involving Norway or Denmark while being efficient. And Russia just doesn't seem like they could even go to a proper all-out war.

Meaning that a normal citizen doesn't really have to think about being involved in a war in any way.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
Because of the training and skills that military could give you, among other things. I'm sure lots of people would love to join our military, how it conducts war aside.

I'm certainly more loyal to Israel than America. When it comes to war, this nation is absolutely despicable. It's downright appalling. We're complete hypocrites, and the government blatantly lies. I'm not just talking about Iraq- I'm not even mainly talking about Iraq. I'm talking about the current military industrial complex.

I'm more bothered in theory than in practice, as I don't actually plan to join the military of a nation that teeters so close to war. I just don't like that loyalty is demanded in the form given; loyalty to ideals does not necessarily encompass loyalty to a current governing body.

I should be allowed to express my loyalty to the ideas embodied in the Constitution in whichever way I see fit.

.L

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
I think it is a bit excessive that they arrest you if you don't submit the form in less than 10 days after getting it in the mail.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Tomorrow 1:58 AM
-->
High five comrade.

In a month I shall be conscripted to serve my term in the Singapore Armed Forces. Since I am perfectly fit young man, I'll probably not get away from this.

However, the prospect of firing that new SAR-21 assault rifle, commanding the ass kicking German made Leopard main battle tank and throwing frags really fill me with a hot-blooded sense of excitement.

Maybe I'll make commando officer, or die in an MG accident, but I know its going to be a ride.

ShaiGar

Local time
Tomorrow 3:28 AM
-->
Is it true that as an American citizen, I am not allowed to join the military of another country?

I was reading up on the Mossad the other day, and briefly thought about it (I probably wouldn't); but then someone told me American citizens must revoke their citizenship in order to serve in the military of a foreign nation.

:\

I dislike this government encroaching on that freedom... that should be a recommendation, not a demand. At least allow me to join the military of allied nations.

.L
In Australia they won't let you join... Because they do not want people with ties to other nations fighting in our army. In Australia, you're here for us, or not at all.

ShaiGar

Local time
Tomorrow 3:28 AM
-->
High five comrade.

In a month I shall be conscripted to serve my term in the Singapore Armed Forces. Since I am perfectly fit young man, I'll probably not get away from this.

However, the prospect of firing that new SAR-21 assault rifle, commanding the ass kicking German made Leopard main battle tank and throwing frags really fill me with a hot-blooded sense of excitement.

Maybe I'll make commando officer, or die in an MG accident, but I know its going to be a ride.
Hehehe, You're on an Island, where there is only one city, which fills nearly the entire east to west, southern side... If a war comes across that bridge... Sure there's the buffer where you guys have some wilderness to fight in, but it's not going to be much of a fight, maybe 2 days.

On the positive side, if you join the Air Force you'll be able to train in Darwin, as a lot of Singaporean Fighter Pilots play in the skies above our city... and you can come drink with me. I'm pretty certain I've seen quite a few Ghurkas here too. Squat powerfully built Nepalese nationals wearing Singapore Police T-Shirts...

Local time
-->

you make it sound enticing..... don't care for fighting but would love to have a go at the tank

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
Hehehe, You're on an Island, where there is only one city, which fills nearly the entire east to west, southern side... If a war comes across that bridge... Sure there's the buffer where you guys have some wilderness to fight in, but it's not going to be much of a fight, maybe 2 days.

From what I gather, any policy of defense for national soil is going to be an all out offensive one. Not saying Malaysia is crazy enough to invade, but if any army were ever to even think of marching south across Johor (The Japanese did in WWII), the battle is going to be taken to them in full force; the fighting will not be done in Singapore if it had to be defended.

Its not that we're gung ho and all that, its really the only surest way. Hence all the emphasis on airborne and air power, artillery and long ranged missiles.

That said, infantry is always going to be an integral apart of any army (despite how much the infantry themselves like to think otherwise), especially because of the strategical importance of Johor. We are just going to have to hold that patch of dirt.

Any enemy wanting to take Singapore will not really have to fire a bullet our direction. All they really have to do is take and hold Johor for a week or so, and we'll have to raise the white flag since almost all our water comes from there. Hence the emphasis on offense.

If Malaysia ever invaded or fell to some hypothetical Chinese Empire bent on conquest of Asia sweeping down the peninsula this way, Singapore will be defended or fall in the battle for Johor.

Oh and the Ghurkas are really scary fellows. Piercing eyes, hulking beard. Those guys are actually our Imperial (inside joke) Guards since they guard the Istana, which is like our White House.

...and if there's gonna be drinks you can expect me anywhere >:3

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I always took you as a female ob. Feel kinda stupid now...

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
I'd burn the form and send back the ashes.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
I always took you as a female ob. Feel kinda stupid now...
Here's a secret: People have thought the same in real life. :confused:

Man if I were a woman I'd be all over myself. If that makes sense.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
I'd burn the form and send back the ashes.

as much as I enjoy a nice protest against my government, I don't want to be a skinny white boy in prison because I wouldn't fill out a form, as I think that would make me the in general bitch on a stick

Top Bottom