• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Seeking beauty

BurnedOut

Local time
Tomorrow 5:06 AM
-->
I believe that there are two types of observable beauty.
One is the one that is dictated by fixed characteristics that works on everybody - Golden Ratio, symmetry, gracefulness (lack of abruptness) and lucidity - which explain
and
The other type is purely subjective in nature. This is where creativity, personality and conventional beauty come together and result into something that is really selective and yields truth to the line - "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

I cannot explain it technically, so I will cite an experience and also showcase some characteristics of conventional beauty that apply here.

Today, I took my friend to the railway station. Since it is India, there are bazaars at the station. Needless to say, lots of people too but thankfully due to the lockdown (rather ironically), there was ample space on the streets which enabled us to observe what was happening.

Both of us have been through this place millions of times but tonight was different.

As I walked, I felt some kind of serenity that really pleased me. I was in a good mood and I was uttering aphorisms that I never did before. My friend and I are usually chatty but today we both were kind of immersed in the experience.

It is your run-of-the-mill city bazaar. There are a barrage of shops plus street vendors.

The experience began here.

I could see colors blending. The dark grey of the asphalt with a welter of colorful reflections on it, the neons, the people bantering, couples here, a family there and the blaring visual signs. It was like an impressionist painting in my head. Something very artistic. I tried to take some pictures but those pictures could not really capture what was in my head. It did not feel like a regular scene to me. It just seemed like something out of the ordinary. It was very beautiful. As I rode my motorcycle home, I was smiling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These same bazaars are extremely annoying and chaotic to most. So are most of the streets. However, I find something beautiful in these ordinary scenes. It is as if a beautiful object was already present but rarely observable.

I figured soon that it has something to do with me. My friend says that it takes something different for a somebody to perceive beauty in the unlikeliest of things. A busy street is not beautiful to anybody but to me it is. I cannot explain how or why, I just do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to come up with some reasons for such an occurence. I realized some things that could open up the senses and let one see things which are not ordinarily aesthetic -
1. Solitude - This era is littered with unnecessary intrusive communication which saps one of his alone time. When you give this solitude to someone back, they see things different
2. Maximum sensory awareness - Letting your ears follow the sounds and eyes the lights and skin the various touches that the breeze and changes in the air can cause can feel like a trance of sorts. This is not actively observing things such as trying to count cars or reading all the signboards, etc. That can quickly become tiresome.
3. Lack of conscious thinking - Simply depriving yourself of thinking works well too. But it only helps if point 2 follows after it. If you simply go numb then it becomes depressing than pleasant.
4. Singular emotion of sadness/happiness/cogitation - One of these singular emotions can also cause you to perceive the surrounding differently. I did not include anxiety, frustration, disgust and anger because they lead to escape of such a situation to a place of relative safety and calm.

There's a picture below. It is an impressionist painting. This is what I mean by perceiving beauty in normalcy. Obviously, this is not how I see things but consider it as a paradigm of sorts. I see things like these but it is much more realistic. Okay, I give up on explaining it. See for yourself.
1604689533357.png

Top Bottom