• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Rote Utilization.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
Yesterday 8:18 PM
-->
I recently paid for an IQ test. There were several sections (vocab, mathematics, etc.) and you received a score for each section, the mean of the scores was your IQ. My highest scored category was 'rote utilization', the score was ten points higher than my overall IQ. I looked into it and it seems like this would be the short term memorization of a set of numbers (codes, phone numbers). Can anyone elaborate more on rote utilization?

Local time
Today 4:18 AM
-->
Rote memory makes an excellent filter to identify what's important enough to get handled by other cognitive processes. Conventional society considers it useless, calling it "regurgitation," etc., but it actually means you're more selective with the material you do learn over the long term.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I'm not sure how that source associated it with short term memorization of number sequences. Upon other searches, I've also seen the word 'useless' to describe it. I've also heard it explained as memorization via repetition.

Local time
Today 4:18 AM
-->
I'm not sure how that source associated it with short term memorization of number sequences. Upon other searches, I've also seen the word 'useless' to describe it. I've also heard it explained as memorization via repetition.
It's basically all of the above. You don't remember the same exact sequences right now, do you? Because they're not useful. It's a beautiful thing.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 9:18 PM
-->
Synthetix

How is your Processing Speed?

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 11:18 AM
-->
Rote memory makes an excellent filter to identify what's important enough to get handled by other cognitive processes. Conventional society considers it useless, calling it "regurgitation," etc., but it actually means you're more selective with the material you do learn over the long term.

I thought conventional society placed a premium on it!

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Good, I guess? Why do you ask?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 9:18 PM
-->
Good, I guess? Why do you ask?

I am curious as to what large discrepancies between scores mean. If Processing Speed is part of Rote Utilization then I have opposite proficiency as you.

My Processing Speed is 16 points lower than my Full Scale IQ. That is one deviation.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:48 PM
-->
It's a really useful intelligence to have. It is obviously limited in scope, but it is a solid foundation for other cognitive processes. I think I'd score very poorly on this test in particular.

Top Bottom