• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Retail etiquette

Local time
Today, 08:38
I was in line at a store the other day, an old fuck was in front of me. He said to the cashier, "I'll take a pack of Marlboro's". That's it, no further specification.

I've worked a similar job before, as have many others at some point to make ends meet, and to me a "pack of Marlboro" means the standard full flavor, or reds as they are called. When it was my turn, the ass goblin ran back into the store with absolute fury, nearly shaking and yelled, "no! I wanted the Marlboro red label 100's!" a different kind than the reds, and this was a very understandable mistake even if the guy actually specified what he wanted, but he didn't, so the cashier couldn't be blamed. This pissed me off and got me to remember the jobs I used to have.

So here are some tips to be a good customer:
• don't go into a store and expect to break big bills without buying something that isn't going to take up at least 20% of the bill you're using. If its all you have, that's understandable but don't be the douche who flips through all the 5s, 10s and singles in your wallet and pull out a 50 to pay for gum and soda.
• don't expect them to break a bill if you're not buying anything at all. Did you walk into a bank? No? Then they probably can't do it. Cashiers are often required to make safe drops when they accumulate a certain amount of cash, so they're limited.
• DO NOT scratch lotto tickets right at the counter immediately after buying them and ask to have them scanned because you didn't actual play the game and just scratched the bar code (especially if there are more customers in line)
• do not repeat the above action again and again until you run out of money and eventually leave an hour later.
• do not decide to change your mind about how you want to pay after you've already given them your form of payment and they've entered it in the register.
• do not give the cashier shit for things out of their control. A price increase or the enforcement of a certain policy is decided by those much higher up.
• if you look under 30 (or even under 40) and buying an age restricted product, get your ID ready. If you consider yourself old and get carded, take it as a compliment.
• if a store has no public bathroom, don't try to coerce them into letting you use their employee bathroom
• finish your phone conversation before coming to the counter to proceed with the transaction
• wait until the transaction has been approved before opening something. Your card just declined, now they have to take whatever it is back and explain to their manager why another good product is now waste.
• for non fast food places with a drive - thru, don't go thru the drive thru unless you're elderly, disabled or have kids in the car you can't leave alone. Know exactly what you want and don't get more than a couple items. If you have questions or want to do some shopping, walk your lazy ass inside.
• do not change your mind about buying something right after you pay for and open it, unless it's expired or defective
• do not hit on the cute girl working, she's only being nice because she's paid to be and is actually hoping you'll leave
• do not look confused and ask to run your card again when it declines. Unless money somehow appeared in your account in the moment between the first attempt and now, it'll keep declining
• do not tap your card, keys, etc on the counter while waiting for the cashier to get you something
• do not throw your money down on the counter (especially when they have their hand out), hand it to them. Your money is most certainly dirtier than their hand.
• do not come in within 5 minutes of closing. In places where alcohol can't be sold past a certain time, come in reasonably earlier than that time
• do not expect most places to cash lottery winners greater than $100

I have more, feel free to add.

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Today, 03:38
• do not decide to change your mind about how you want to pay after you've already given them your form of payment and they've entered it in the register.

• wait until the transaction has been approved before opening something. Your card just declined, now they have to take whatever it is back and explain to their manager why another good product is now waste.

• do not change your mind about buying something right after you pay for and open it, unless it's expired or defective
I'm pretty sure these are all scammers, the most annoying ones imo were the people who would intentionally open/break an item on the way to the counter and ask for a discount, the smarter ones would come back the next day to pick stuff out of the clearance bin.

• The number of times people tried to pay for stuff over the phone with their credit card and they were super insistent about it like they would actually start reading out their credit card details expecting me to write it down as if that somehow forces me to run the transaction and put the (usually promotional) item aside for them.

• Customers who get aggressive/demanding with the people working point-of-sale which are usually young women new to the workforce, when I saw that I'd take over the register, yeah not so rude now you're dealing with a 6ft man, go ahead ask for my manager he/she is going to see me at the register and the girl I relieved at the brink of tears and they'll know EXACTLY what's going on.

• Groups of teenage boys in hoodies and other hip-hop attire laughing as they spread out around the store, go ahead boys fill up your bags and pockets unbeknownst to you I wasn't born yesterday and I've already called the cops, the sheer audacity is amazing, the looks on their faces when the cops catch them at the door is priceless.

Local time
Today, 15:38
Haven't worked in retail but as a customer, I can add add that if you are taking like 3 minutes to figure out which carton of milk you want to buy, at least look around to see if other people are waiting to get to the milk too.

QuickTwist

Alive - Born Anew
Local time
Today, 09:38
He could have been a regular.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today, 22:38
I think you should also take care of the machines in the shop. You guys have coffee and slurpee machines there too right?

Top Bottom