• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Rate What the Person Above You is Listening To

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:42 AM
-->
liked the sinister part in the middle there. but.. I think that 3-note melody got a little repetitive. 6/10

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 7:42 AM
-->
7/10
very progressive, very eery, yet inviting
curious how the artist has accomplished this

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:42 PM
-->
6/10

I can't hear the lyrics well :[ I think this is one of those work songs where you just let it turn on in the background just to vibe with a bit.

Speaking of vibes~

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
-->
6/10 i need mah jazz more funky/bouncy, this one is pleasant though

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:42 PM
-->
1/10 sounds like every other 'chillhop' song

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
-->
1/10 sounds like it was recorded in an empty hall on a cellphone

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:42 AM
-->
Good, but not my style. Still really liked some parts of it a lot. Just not a fan of the screeching.
8/10

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:42 PM
-->
Good chillout/study music but kinda dull to listen to for its own sake.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
First vid 4/10 don't like sped up kitsch pop funk or whatevr that was.
Second vid 7/10 was nice, could get with the mood more.
Third video 6/10 Idk okay but just too overly...Something. Emotional/epic sounded kind of basic idk. Not my style.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I think it's supposed to be a dance floor song? I think for a club it'd be good but not so sure about it being on my playlist. I'll give a generous 7/10

This song's kinda cheesy but the orchestration is really refreshing and youthful.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I agree with your assessment, cheesy side but good instrumental and orchestration, would have preferred without the voices tbh. 7/10.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Ooo I like how it started off. Oh, basically it's some 'i'm in love but im broke' song. I like the music video though, the juxtaposition of the guns and the vocalist makes me think that the song is basically about even if I had a money (which I'd trade off a gun for, which I guess is a symbol for power in this music video) i wouldn't achieve anything with it (ripped off teddy bear). The song itself however equates this power, basically a grown 'consumerist', as getting a girl, so in a sense the worldview of the song is that the world is consumerist, or you have to be this person that has this power, when it comes to finding a mate. I'll be blunt about this one, 4/10. The melody is good but the message it brings isn't productive. I guess it can resonate with people but I think it's one of those songs you grow out of once you get your life going. Basically, it's an adolescent song.

Over-analysis I guess :D

Strokes~

Get dressed in your bed, while she’s asleep
It isn’t right, but it isn’t hard
Tell me, tell me, won’t you understand?
Show me, show me, show me a better plan
It’s summer lies, it’s someone else’s nothing
Here it comes now
You ask me to stay
You ask me to stay
You ask me to stay
But there’s a million reasons to leave
Find a job, find a friend
Find a home, find a dog
Settle down, out of town
Find a dream, shut it down
Please, please don’t point it that way
It’s just a trigger that goes once and you’ll be unafraid
I wish that I’d been noticed, but it never goes that way
The silence that you brought has gone, gone, gone
Tell me, tell me, won’t you understand?
Show me, show me, show me
You ask me to stay
You ask me to stay
You ask me to stay
But there’s a million reasons to leave
Show me what to say, show me what to be
Show me what to see, show me what to be
Find a job, find a friend
Find a home, find a dog
Settle down, out of town
Find a dream, shut it down
I don’t wanna be in there with you
I don’t wanna be in there without your loving either
I waited for your thoughts
Can’t wait no longer

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Fun/10

Reminds me a bit of one of my brother's (biological) fav bands, 'Group Love'

Yes, this kind of music exists.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Oo a QT song I actually like. 8/10

A song that came up in my playlist.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 10:42 PM
-->
It's amazing to see this thread thriving after 6 years, but also a bit unnerving. Is this evidence that I've made some small contribution to humanity, despite trying so hard to stay the fuck out of the way?

I dug Ayasa. I mean, the music had a cool Afro-Cuban vibe, but I really dig Ayasa, like in a Japanese school-girl uniform way. Sorry for Objectifying you, Ayasa, but I can't help it. You're hot!

This one's near the top of all the Psych/Space I've been indulging in lately.
Naxatras - 'Waves'

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It has enjoyable harmony. I wish it was 20% faster and introduced more ideas in those 7 minutes. 6/10

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Going to be honest here, I have no idea what they are saying and I don't feel like trying to look it up.

I found the beginning of the music video funny, but then it ampped up and got all serious and stuff. It made me think all you have to do to start a fight is set a border in a public place and wait till some idiot tries to get through the border and then mass chaos erupts.

I'll give it a 7/10 because I like the thought of something going from comedy to deadly serious.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
5/10

Sorry but I'm just not in to it. I enjoyed the opening riff and sound but then it didn't do it for me. I don't think the words are that great. I can hear a lot of raggae influences which I can lke but here it sounds like it's mxed with pop metal or something whch I don't like idk. I'm also pretty drunk as type this btw

edit: Got average mark because objectively it's decently constructed and stuff

------------------

@Serac :D

Agnetha is sexy

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
fulfilling my swedish duty :D:

clearly a 10/10. Any swedish dude is afraid of admitting ABBA is the best shit ever, but it is. Gonna be listening to Happy new Year on repeat in a few days.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
90s nostalgia waporwave, when the Japanese economy was still booming and dreams were naively reachable.
5.8/10

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Hmm, I find metal to be an interesting genre because I like heavy guitar but screams/growls just sound like a demented gorilla to me. That said, it had nice ambience, chorus, and melodic sections, so 7/10.

It's not letting me post videos, so replace underscores with periods:

https://www_youtube_com/watch?v=9RHFFeQ2tu4

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:42 AM
-->
Metal is the only genre :desire:

oh wait, i didnt realize this was the rate thread, misposted. I'm unable to open the link above

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
I'm guessing the forum filter decided I'm a bot. But, with the link, did you change the underscores to periods...?

I leave Borknagar's rating to someone with a song.

travelnjones

Local time
-->
Much of the Scandinavian bands are hit or miss for me. I love the music behind King Diamond but his high voice isn't always my cup of tea. Opeth I love the prog stuff but less so the older Death Metal voice. Whats that Danish heavy rock band, I don't care for them.

Candlemass I like especially with Messiah Marcolin. The 90's stuff like entombed is very interesting but I am not fully there. I heard in flames at one of the Gigantours and was utterly confused, there were so many vocal styles used.

I generally like a clean voice which i think is much of it. For me the early Death (american band just used as example) I didn't care for the voice but by spiritual healing I like it. I absolutely hate the whiny demonic voice and the more screamo vocal. Bruce and Dio are my favorite vocalists. I am listening to Iron Maiden Brave New World right now.

lightfire

Local time
-->
My favorite band in the entire world is Katatonia, and their associated band is Opeth which I haven't listened to much.

There's a couple of others that I rarely listen to but are hilarious and awesome whenever I do feel like it.

travelnjones

Local time
-->
The Borknagar is alright I like the music underneath the vocal, it has some prog influence there. The vocal is good at times, but some bits sound a little like a sea shanty meets Sabaton maybe (these are the the beginning). I The demonic growl whine thing at the end of the phase i don't like. I don't know but I have always felt that sounded pathetic and lame. I know the it's supposed to come off tough or something but for me it has always been just the opposite.

The Necro Deathmort. It has a bit too much of an EDM/Front 242 beat so far. It got a bit better around 2:10 . I have a friend that would probably like that. Its Ok but being a prog person I don't like that much beat. Throbbing Gristle or Can are about the most I delve into that realm (German Prog/Kraut Rock).

Not that I listening to very Metal or Aggressive music lately. <- this is a song stuck in my head lately though i have to through the latest Voivod on for a listen.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
I liked the Genesis song; the melody/instrumentation gives me a kind of nostalgic feel and with the lyrics makes an overall contemplative mood. The sort I get when things are quiet and I'm walking down the sidewalk and just thinking about life, I guess. 6 or 7/10, I'd say.

lightfire

Local time
-->
7/10 - Its interesting and different. It's like the guitars were placed instead of vocals. The sudden change to instrumental, which was nice in itself is where I took points off. lol

I am also a Scandinavian metal bitch!!!

Don't steal my position as the scandinavian metal bitch )--:>

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like some of the Tool stuff, so I also like some of the Perfect Circle stuff. I like the instrumental part of that band more than the vocals though. His voice annoys me at times. 7/10.

a_ghost_from_your_past

Ujames1978Eternally
Local time
-->
liked the sinister part in the middle there. but.. I think that 3-note melody got a little repetitive. 6/10

But you, looking at this scene don't say "That's horrible, that's not how people are supposed to live" on the contrary construct the gallows noose on which they may hang and say "these people deserve nothing else but death."
In other words, the social criticism is totally lost on you.
OR
You just don't get it.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@a_ghost_from_your_past not so sure about that. That video isn't even of a real place, it's a VFX rendition of a futuristic city. I think you've listened to too many 70s punk-rock songs; everything doesn't need to have "social criticism"

a_ghost_from_your_past

Ujames1978Eternally
Local time
-->
I know that it's VFX.
Are you still busy faking refugee numbers?
Because this kind of housing is exactly what these refugees will be housed in, considering that it costs so little.
And then people complain about ghettoisation.
It's logically totally paradox.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I know that it's VFX.
Are you still busy faking refugee numbers?
Because this kind of housing is exactly what these refugees will be housed in, considering that it costs so little.
And then people complain about ghettoisation.
It's logically totally paradox.
have you ever done anything for refugees or anyone in need? Based on the consistent lack of constructive thoughts and persistent negativity in your tone, I suspect you're mostly dealing in terms of social prestige bucks. I would recommend giving some euros to charity (or better yet; a flesh-and-blood homeless person) – it'll make you feel better and alleviate some of that social-commentary-punk-rock neuroticism you're carrying around.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Didn't particularly care to listen to a full hour of that, so I just did the first few pieces. 7/10, it sounds alright but also like literally ever other "epic powerful emotional beautiful music" mix.

lightfire

Local time
-->
4/10 - meh, goth stuff. I think I may have enjoyed the guitars but it was a bit repetitive. the voices killed the flow too, once the singing started I was like nope.

kind of reminded me of BFMV tbh

RAWR TEENAGE ANGST :mad: NO I WILL NOT GO TO MY ROOM

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
well, I think you described it pretty well. Conveyor-belt produced stuff for teenagers with lots of repressed anxiety but very little taste in music. 2/10

lightfire

Local time
-->
Lol in the bfmv video, they had a fire in the foreground. -5 right there

The guitar and voices in the above video were interesting 7/10

I'm gonna roll with the angst train for now, I just find it hilarious.

Top Bottom