• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Question for Women- Makeup- yeah or nay?

Misanthrope

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 5:09 PM
-->
I am curious as to how many INTP women wear makeup. Do you ever wear makeup? If so, do you wear it regularly or just on occasion? What occasion?
I read a similar thread on an INTJ forum and am curious about the differences between the two.

Anling

Local time
Yesterday 6:09 PM
-->
I do not like to wear makeup. Occasionally I do wear it, but the occasions are some what random. I don't like the feel of it on my skin. And if it is hot out it sort of melts and is in general just icky. Some girls wear way too much. Though I don't know if this is an inter-mountain west kind of thing or not. I prefer it to look more natural, especially if I'm the one who has to wear it.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
Yesterday 8:09 PM
-->
I do not, have not ever, probably never will, wear make up. I've watched my sister's spend hours in front of the mirror, applying make up to themselves, spending money on it, etc. I never was too interested.

The application of make up is for a woman (or man?) to seem more appealing. This will aid in their finding of a mate and aid in their primeval efforts to further the survival of their species. It also aids in the confidence of a person, aiding their self- esteem.

Local time
Today 1:09 AM
-->
They have a reason for wearing this makeup, which is similar to that of a female wearing nice clothing. It's an element of their overall style and it enhances their 'beauty'.

Perhaps it is ideal for them, maybe not. Perception is subjective, and how it appears is dependent upon the person who judges it. There are environments in which it is beneficial to be perceived positively. Why should they avoid makeup when it supports a goal within these environments? If the female thinks it will assist her in the accomplishment of an objective, they should wear it.

You cannot be certain it will be effective overall (for example, the makeup is nice to each person) - the same as you cannot be with other elements of a plan. "Will my opinion be valid to those with whom I share it?" It relies on those people and what is the reason for this opinion being stated.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Never have... of my own will. (On a class trip about two yeas ago my classmates 'persuaded' me to wear make-up for one night. By which I mean they cornered me on my bed in the hotel room and wouldn't let me go down for supper until it had been applied. :p) I didn't like the feel of it on my skin-- it felt like I hadn't washed my face in several days-- and I didn't like using it in principle either. I'm perfectly happy not to wear make-up and I don't think it's necessary for anyone to depend on it in order to impress others. (I'm too skint to pay for it too-- I have books, music, comics... loads of other stuff I can buy! ..Not to mention, next year, things like food and rent: they're slightly more essential, I think.)

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
Here's the thread that makes me question whether I am an INTP or not.

I LOVE MAKEUP. I don't leave the house without it on.

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
I've worn make-up a few times, mainly just to get some peace and quiet from my sisters (They have a habit of wandering into my room and bugging me, and a few times it's been "Can I do your hair/makeup/what you're going to wear today?"

After a while it's easiest to just give in. (on the plus side though, people are more likely to leave you alone if you glare at them with eyeliner on)

I don't particularly mind wearing it, I've gotten used to it I think, but it's too much effort to wear it all the time.

EDIT: Speaking of which, one sister has now wandered in, and having asked me what I was doing, she says "Yes! Makeup! She's ENFJ so I don't think we can include her in this though.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Just had a thought: If I doodle on my hand with a permanent marker, is that make-up? It's stuck to my skin and people can see it, after all. ...It won't come off for a day or two either, if past experience is any indication. :-/

Misanthrope

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Just had a thought: If I doodle on my hand with a permanent marker, is that make-up? It's stuck to my skin and people can see it, after all. ...It won't come off for a day or two either, if past experience is any indication. :-/

Thank you sagewolf,

for your responses.

I do not feel that it would fall under the category of makeup. I would, however, consider it if you were to apply it to your face.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 2:09 AM
-->
I don't know if my response counts because I'm an INFP...

I'm pretty neutral about make up,It's nice but I can do without.I've just stared to use it about 2 years ago and now I wear mild make up on a pretty regular basis.I dislike heavy make up and tend to avoid it.

Concojones

Local time
-->
So female INTPs aren't fans of make-up? Wow. As a male INTP, I generally don't find that it makes women more attractive. Maybe partly because it's usually over-used.

edit: damn, what am I doing here? :o

polarmonk

Local time
-->
I don't wear make-up either. I do, however, draw doodles up my arms as well, sagewolf :) I can't see the point. The fact that some girls can't leave the house without it on is pretty disturbing.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I only wear a little bit of makeup Just a tiny bit of powder foundation, mascara, and chapstick. I look the same without it, only less tired. Supposedly the darkness under my eyes is bad enough that people worry about my sleeping habits. And that's when I'm not tired. I'm just satisfying the masses so they'll stop worrying about me. I don't mind going without it though.

Local time
-->
I don't wear make-up either. I do, however, draw doodles up my arms as well, sagewolf :) I can't see the point. The fact that some girls can't leave the house without it on is pretty disturbing.

I disturbed people at my old college when I walked around with a masquerade mask on my face or bright face paint.

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
Okay you guys, I totally can't be an INTP. This is crazy, I love makeup, and I definitely can't do without it.........

Ermine

Local time
-->
Wouldn't it depend on why you're putting the makeup on? When I was 13, I was big into makeup. It was just another form of "dressup" for me. Trying on different facades when I still had a bit of an identity crisis.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
I only wear a little bit of makeup Just a tiny bit of powder foundation, mascara, and chapstick. I look the same without it, only less tired.

I wear powder foundation and chapstick when I'm looking too tired and have to do a public appearance. I basically want to look "like myself" (i.e. match the mental image of a healthy me)

I did experiment a bit with more makeup when I was younger, but it was too bothersome.

When I'm in a "sleeping well" season I don't wear any.

(By bothersome I mean all the considerations like what is the fashion trend, which colors suit you, which tools to employ and effects to seek, which brands, waterproof and hypoallergenic... gah. )

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
-->
Wouldn't it depend on why you're putting the makeup on? When I was 13, I was big into makeup. It was just another form of "dressup" for me. Trying on different facades when I still had a bit of an identity crisis.
I'll admit, I used to do that in high school.

But not anymore. Now I just wear makeup to look better than I normally would. I mean, it takes what. Ten minutes at most? Not a big deal at all.

chocolate

Local time
-->
I wear makeup every day (disclaimer: I'm not INTP).

I love makeup, and fragrance too (the latter I really don't feel like myself without it, I just feel happier when I have access to a pretty smell whenever I want simply by sniffing by wrist). It's just part of being me, I feel more finished and polished with it. However, I am very particular about what I will use and can end up spending a lot of money on high end brands. I also admit it's somewhat important to me to be thought of as pretty, although this is getting less so as I am growing up (I'm a late bloomer) -- I am finally realizing that I am worth more than my looks.

Depending on my mood, it can take me from a few minutes (my minimum is mascara and lip gloss) to half an hour (for going out to a party/theatre), but usually about 10 minutes.

Local time
Yesterday 7:09 PM
-->
I rarely wear it, only for parties (and sometimes not even then). I don't like the feel of it on my skin, and I don't really see the point to it.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I'm a guy, but I don't think there's necessarily anything un-INTP about wearing makeup. It's more of a question of why someone wears it than if. Plus, it could be argued that introverts actually "need" it more than extroverts do, since it's often harder for introverts to be socially outgoing thus perhaps giving them more of a reason to want to be externally appealing to "draw people in."

severus

Local time
-->
I do not understand make-up. In theory yes, but in practice I fail.
I never experimented when I was younger to learn how to put it on right, and by now it's too late for that. But I am not really interested anyway, so this doesn't bother me.
I know that some people (er, females...) wear it in a "natural look." You know what's an easy way to look natural? Not wear make-up. Imagine!
Make-up, like tall stick-thin girls, is for the fashion industry. Theatrical, you know? Not just everyday, going-to-work, etc.
In one magazine I had the misfortune of reading, they were advising what make-up to wear when you play sports! Who in their right mind would put on make-up just to go to soccer practice? Urgh.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I wear it maybe once a month, probably less. I don't really notice the feel of it, but the extent I've used is only mascara+eyeliner. I'm not really sure why I randomly get the urge to put it on....I think perhaps it's because I want to experiment on my face. I'm a rather visual person, and I'm into art. There's definitely a "if I use ____ color, and accent ____" element to it...I'm pretty methodical about the whole thing.
I think the attention it draws to my face is definitely enough to keep me from using it on a regular basis. I won't go into detail, but at school, it definitely attracts attention. That and it's way too much of a hassle to put on...or maybe that's just me being a perfectionist.
Anyway, I wear it for my own amusement, not to look pretty or anything like that. I leave the house without it on almost every day and don't think twice about it.

severus

Local time
-->
I think the attention it draws to my face is definitely enough to keep me from using it on a regular basis.
I have a similar situation with a pair of orange pants. I like them, but I don't like the attention they bring. I'll save them for the weekends then.

zephryi

Local time
-->
Interesting topic. O.O I feel kind of an oddity because I like wearing makeup. It makes me feel more confident and a bit more attractive, and therefore more likely to speak up. I usually put it on everyday except Sunday- no work or school. However, on the flip side, all my makeup is hand me down except mascara and powder, and I have my routine down to a quick two minutes for my entire face, including eye shadow and blush. It's all very light as well; most people can't tell I have it on. The effect is mostly psychological, really...

Misanthrope

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Interesting topic. O.O I feel kind of an oddity because I like wearing makeup. It makes me feel more confident and a bit more attractive, and therefore more likely to speak up. I usually put it on everyday except Sunday- no work or school. However, on the flip side, all my makeup is hand me down except mascara and powder, and I have my routine down to a quick two minutes for my entire face, including eye shadow and blush. It's all very light as well; most people can't tell I have it on. The effect is mostly psychological, really...
Like Zephryi, I wear makeup on a regular basis. I work in an office and it is considered appropriate, just like leaving the flip flops at home. Statistically speaking, I read that women who wear makeup generally earn raises faster than those who are barefaced and I do like getting raises. My makeup is quite toned down and fairly minimal. Mineral powder instead of foundation, a bit of blush, a little subtle eyeshadow is basically it. I can put it on in about two minutes.
I don't usually wear any makeup on weekends unless I have a special event to attend.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I actually really like makeup.

But I also see it as an artform and a means of self-expression, not as some sort of "social thing" that I'm obligated to participate in. (I use it to make me look more "me.") If I didn't want to wear it or if I felt fake using it, I wouldn't.

Despite using it, it's still low-key and used to accentuate my strengths; and other women have commented on how I manage to use it without it coming across as too much or getting garish with it... which helps me know I'm on the right track.

I will admit, though: it's still a pain in the butt on some days to put on, and I skip on some things sometimes.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My curiosity got me into this thread.

I'd have thought that in addition to anything else, some might use makeup as a mask to kinda sorta hide behind and/or a kinda sorta camouflage to blend in and not be noticed.

Speaking of "hide behind", note the beard. :-)

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
A bit of bare essentials foundation, eye shadow, and maybe lip gloss for me. Probably put it on twice a week. I like how I look with it on, but I don't like feeling forced to put it on. My whole approach is sort of preventative maintenance - I take care of my skin very well and I just accent with make-up. And I pluck my eyebrows - I'm precise about that.

That said, I've gone overboard for fun a few times. A few of my friends are make-up artists and hair stylists and they've made me appreciate it all. It can be pretty fun if it's not a requirement.

My question is.. do any of you feel comfortable in a dress? I wore one once and I hated it.

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
My question is.. do any of you feel comfortable in a dress? I wore one once and I hated it.

I only wear them when I have to. I have to wear a skirt for school, and I hate that enough already, so on the rare occasions I'm forced into a dress (sister's confirmations, new years eve party one year etc.) I spend most of my time glaring at people so my mum knows if she forces me to wear a dress, I'm not going to play along.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
My question is.. do any of you feel comfortable in a dress?

Definitely not,I hate them and never wear them,in fact the last time I wore a dress was for my junior prom almost 4 years ago.The same goes for skirts,although I might wear them on occasion if they're not too short.

Carnap

Local time
-->
I wear bare minerals clear powder for spf because I am allergic to sunblock and refuse any chemical type thing. I use chapstic if my lips are dry.

I don't like the way most women look in makeup. I think it takes something away from them.

As for the dress thing, I wear long skirts that touch the ground every day, with tennis shoes and a long shirt.

chocolate

Local time
-->
Waterstiller: I am much more comfortable in a dress or a skirt. Although maybe not comfortable physically, I mean more comfortable with myself/psychologically. When I'm wearing pants, I feel so plain (with some exceptions, depends on the rest of what I'm wearing).

My general rule with makeup is that I don't want to be one of those people who looks like a different person without it.

Ermine

Local time
-->
A bit of bare essentials foundation, eye shadow, and maybe lip gloss for me. Probably put it on twice a week. I like how I look with it on, but I don't like feeling forced to put it on. My whole approach is sort of preventative maintenance - I take care of my skin very well and I just accent with make-up. And I pluck my eyebrows - I'm precise about that.

That said, I've gone overboard for fun a few times. A few of my friends are make-up artists and hair stylists and they've made me appreciate it all. It can be pretty fun if it's not a requirement.

Bare Essentials is my hero. I don't think I'd wear foundation otherwise.

I'm psychologically comfortable with myself in a dress or skirt. I often get more playful confident, and fun in skirts and dresses. It's almost like a high. I wish I had a lot of bright colored dresses and skirts for that reason. However, they often aren't physically comfortable. Where I live, it's pretty cold most of the time, and the wind ends up lifting my skirt. No fun. I also don't like to shave my legs all the time, tights and hosiery are a pain, and I've been told I look really good in dresses. That should be a positive thing, but I don't like getting so much attention. It's tiresome to hear "oh, you look so beautiful in that dress" 100 times and looking around with wary shifty eyes since guys tend to treat me differently too. I don't even wear revealing dresses! The hem is always knee length or longer and I don't show off my cleavage either.

For that reason, I only wear dresses when the occasion calls for a dress.

Anling

Local time
-->
For dresses, I don't wear them just because very often, but I admit that I love them. Something about the swishiness of it, I think. I like long dresses and skirts, not the short ones. But, most of the time they just aren't very practical and it is too much of a bother having to worry about the blasted thing getting caught on things or getting blown up and the like.

zephryi

Local time
-->
On the topic of dress/skirt wearing: I don't like the fuss with regular dresses; I used to wear them some as I got interested in Japanese fashion, but I always felt like I needed to act differently/ got more defensive in a full blown dress-y outfit. Jean skirts aren't an issue, though. Also, I've began to wear big poofy skirts now and then for the cute and friend reaction although it's uncomfortable both physically and psychologically (If anyone knows the Japanese fashion 'Lolita' [nothing to do with the book, by the way], they'd know why. The skirts are meant to be worn with petticoats so they're huge and covered with lace and ruffles : D ).

Basically, I don't like dresses, but when I feel like looking pretty and have a higher energy level, it's not too hard to overcome the discomfort for the pretty. XD

jiarem

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I think I wear it once every five years. If that. I feel no need to wear it, and I don't like how it usually looks, anyway.

chocolate

Local time
-->
I often get more playful confident, and fun in skirts and dresses. It's almost like a high.

[...]

I don't even wear revealing dresses! The hem is always knee length or longer and I don't show off my cleavage either.

Yeah that's what it's like! Then a touch of perfume on top of that and something sparkly and I feel like a fairy princess :)

I also don't wear short skirts; I feel very uncomfortable in them, right below the knee or longer. I love having a big long full skirt in summer, did I mention the fairy princess thing?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
For dresses, I don't wear them just because very often, but I admit that I love them. Something about the swishiness of it, I think. I like long dresses and skirts, not the short ones. But, most of the time they just aren't very practical and it is too much of a bother having to worry about the blasted thing getting caught on things or getting blown up and the like.

Dresses don't much bother me, and yes, they have those benefits... although I definitely would not want to wear them all the time -- they're impractical, pants are more useful. And in the winter, when it's absolutely freezing out, dresses really stink.

(My issue with dresses is that I have trouble sizing both the top and bottom parts of me in one piece of clothing. It's far easier for me to do top & pant/skirt ensembles, where I can size each differently.)

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
I don't have much of a problem with dresses-- I used to, but I don't at present. For the most part, though, I agree that dresses are just less practical and comfortable than trousers (although considering the trousers some people seem to enjoy wearing, I can't imagine how that argument applies to them). At my school, we can pick between a skirt and trousers-- girls can, that is (although part of me really wants to put forward the argument 'boys should be able to wear skirts if they want' in the name of gender equality and (ugh) political correctness, just to see what the authorities would do (although I'd settle for the look on their faces when I said it). That would be quite entertaining :evil: ). I'm glad of that: skirts are just too much hassle to deal with day to day.

Apsaras

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Stumbled upon this forum today. This was the thread that hooked me.

I've always seen makeup as abhorrent. Essentially, it's a universal commercial farce. Manipulate a woman's self-esteem enough and she, if gullible or easily influenced, will cake herself in powder and chemicals for the sake of superficiality.

If on an individualistic level, this could be acceptable to me. Maybe. But makeup is the expectation now, the norm. One has to slather on product in the morning to be considered attractive, or even acceptable. Not churning out cash on this crap is 'unusual' and a natural human face is 'strange' or 'ugly'.

When did this viewpoint become acceptable, even common? When was the last time a man spent an hour on his face in the morning? Picking out his wardrobe? Doing his hair? And despite that (general) callousness, women will find unkempt men attractive.

I really can't understand this. Is it some game of one-upsmanship? That one has to be prettier than the next girl to be superior, and thus buy more products and spend more time drooling in front of the mirror? Or is it some emotional crutch? I don't see half-naked men plastered all over billboards or television or video games. Pick a movie, and think about the normal commentary for that movie. Specifically, the actors. What does one hear? A male actor is "talented" or "funny", generally speaking. A female is "hot".

Awesome.

Apologies for the rant, just thought it would be fun to toss my opinion in and see what likeminded individuals had to say about it. And, yes, I know I sound like a grumpy old bag, but I'm eighteen. I just dislike the present feminine 'culture' - makeup most certainly included.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"When did this viewpoint become acceptable, even common?"

About 4,000 years ago, in Egypt?

Seriously, though, or as seriously as this topic can be taken, many men do spend considerable time working on the image they will project. I've seen men getting manicures, pedicures and facials, men in tanning salons, men as particular about their hair as any model. Men who insist on wardrobes that are the current fashion, etc.

It's all about what's fashionable and what's attractive, and it varies from year to year. Long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in college, it was quite acceptable for women to go without makeup (late 1960s). Not all thought so, but an alternative culture of simplicity and directness was very much in vogue.

There's not much sense getting upset about fashion trends, it's apparently human nature for a great many folks. Even among INTPs, as you can see in this thread, there's varying degrees of comfort with or seeking after some of the perceived virtues in cosmetics. The best we might be able to do is say it's somehow linked to a biological imperative dealing with the sex drive, it's somehow more involved with emotions than intellect, and we therefore need to, perhaps, acknowledge our limitations in trying to understand it?

Top Bottom