• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Quantum Entanglement Demonstrated

Local time
Today, 05:53
"Entanglement is a kind of order that lurks within the uncertainty of quantum theory. Suppose you have a quantum particle of light, or photon. It can be polarized so that it wriggles either vertically or horizontally. The quantum realm is also hazed over with unavoidable uncertainty, and thanks to such quantum uncertainty, a photon can also be polarized vertically and horizontally at the same time. If you then measure the photon, however, you will find it either horizontally polarized or vertically polarized, as the two-ways-at-once state randomly "collapses" one way or the other."

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/05/physicists-create-quantum-link-b.html?ref=hp

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today, 17:53
That is really cool!

If only they could entangle three particles. Now that would be a mind fuck.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
The important point about this particular experiment is not the entanglement, but the entanglement across time. I think it's been previously demonstrated in EPR experiments, but maybe this is a new angle on it.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:53
What is quantum entanglement? I will not rest until this is made clear. God does not fool around with dice but then who knows what God is doing?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
What does religion have to do with quantum entanglement?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:53
Re: Quantum Entanglement Befuddled

@Architect
What does religion have to do with quantum entanglement?
I assume that Q is directed toward me. What religion? Did I site some organized religion? I did not. I used "God" in a sentence. The meaning of that word I used to express the answers* to mysteries no man has a clue to.

Mysteries such as:
1. The foundations for existence.
2. The nature of particles, energy, probability, change.
3. What is to be thought of the universe 100 trillion years from now when entropy wins the day?
4. If that is the future, what was the past?
5. Does "space" have the right to exist?
5. Quantum entanglement less description, more its ultimate structure.

*Are we going to call a halt to speculating about answers even if they aren't forthcoming? If man will never know, God does because existence can't be denied and is THE supernatural magical miracle.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
I'll take your use of "God" in the Deist sense then.

I don't have any explanation of QE that will be satisfying for you. Particles interact across time and space, that is all. Check back later for more.

John_Mann

Local time
To begin, researchers zap a special crystal with laser light a couple of times to create two entangled pairs of photons
Anybody knows something more about that? What kind of crystal? A prisma?

How a single photon can be trapped? Magnetic field? Electric field? Microwaves? What device do this work? I had read about interferometer but I don't know if it's the actual device used for the job.

Once I'd read something about wavefunction collapse being like one that happens in ordinary seawaves. Surfers even have a name to that and they describe the phenomena as a "hard water" something like a ice block inside a wave. But I can't remember the effing name!

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
How a single photon can be trapped? Magnetic field? Electric field? Microwaves?
AFAIK photons cannot be trapped, except in the sense of if they are captured by some quanta which raises it to a higher energy level. Single electrons and protons can be trapped by a Penning trap (IIRC) using magnetic fields.

John_Mann

Local time
Photons are used to measure quantum particles right?

I use an analogy to quantum measurement like a tennis ball (electron, proton, etc) bouncing in a dark room (particle trap, like a penning trap?) and we use a marble (photon) to find the tennis ball by shooting it (the marble) through the room. We tossed the marble and it will impact on the tennis ball somewhere. But even after we know where they touched one each other (position + momentum), we can't predict where the tennis ball are after that.

The tennis ball in a dark room are in a wave function (no predict position), and it collapses to a specific position when we make a measurement on it (marble toss).

So we have a cause without an effect, because we cannot say which variants played a role to the tennis ball appear in a specific position.

It's not a matter of several variants impossible to calculate like the biological mutation. But the wavefunction collapse is made by totally unknown variants, or effects.

That's my understanding.

John_Mann

Local time
It's an agreement to take the act of measure the very effect of wavefunction collapse. So the effect (measure) precedes the cause (collapse) in quantum realm.

SLushhYYY

Local time
Ooooo Ahhhh mathematical theory proven in the 21st century

Top Bottom