• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

quality and property

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:44 AM
-->
why do things possess different qualities and properties?

the identity of a thing object is defined by its form and quality. for example an orange is defined by the form of the orange and the quality inherent in the orange. it is what makes an orange and orange, its distinctive uniqueness.

water have the quality of being fluid (ignoring other states like ice or vapor)
the quality of a black hole is what defines it, the ability to suck in matter and have a strong gravitiational field.

wood has the quality of being timber-lumber like that makes it wood.

but this is not the central point.

the question is
why does a thing have or possess a uniqure quality. is the quality god given , universal and inherent of the thing, or does quality and property something that is emergent or illusional, phenonmenonal, does not exist fundamentally.

can there be a qualityless thing or a thing without property?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i really dont like God, or God or nature as an explanation

such as god made wood have wood qualities, and fire have flame qualitites

but there seems to be no explanation why things and entitites contain particular qualitites. is it fundamental part of a thing/object or it is emergent and can be erased or removed?

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
Yesterday 5:44 PM
-->
property is a designation of quality.
the property of a circle is the quality of roundness.
the instance of quality is property.
I have maleness as property but maleness as a quality separates from the instance of me in particular.

I think all qualities come from vibrations the lead to 3d shapes in the aether. The quantum wave function. Interference patterns emerge where everything is passing through each other.

qualities simply come from waves.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 1:44 PM
-->
<empties a dumptruck full of science textbooks on sushi>

the question is
why does a thing have or possess a uniqure quality. is the quality god given , universal and inherent of the thing, or does quality and property something that is emergent or illusional, phenonmenonal, does not exist fundamentally.
Most properties are emergent, the wetness of water for instance only occurs in a particular temperature/pressure range, the fact that liquid H2O has cohesion but doesn't form a solid and is practically in-compressible is a rather fascinating interplay of more fundamental properties that even now isn't fully understood.

can there be a qualityless thing or a thing without property?
Perhaps, gravity has long been speculated to be caused by some kind of subatomic particle but we've never actually found any "gravitons". It may simply be that gravity is something so utterly fundamental we aren't able to interact with it in any way but observing it on a macro scale. Thus the only property of gravity is... gravity.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
<empties a dumptruck full of science textbooks on sushi>
Most properties are emergent, the wetness of water for instance only occurs in a particular temperature/pressure range, the fact that liquid H2O has cohesion but doesn't form a solid and is practically in-compressible is a rather fascinating interplay of more fundamental properties that even now isn't fully understood.

so you are of the arguement that things/objects have no fundamental qualities/properties themselves?

at the very bottom and smallest building blocks things are qualityless and indistingulbe from each other? material property only arises out of emergence and is non existent at the very basic level.

there is the distinguish between the statements:

all properties of things are emergement
most properites of things are emergent, but some are essential and not
none properties of things are emergent

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
•What makes glass glass –like
•What makes water water like
•What makes substance substance like
•What makes human human like
•What makes black hole black hole like
•What makes earth earth like
what makes an atom atom like

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
•What makes glass glass –like

You can only know the answer to this question if you actually know what parameters make something glass like. There are all kinds of parameters that could be designated for glass like.

However googling glass on wikipedia gives the straightforward answers. Sorry you do not have access to internet in your part of world. Here you go...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

•What makes water water like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water another amazing link that will educate us all.

•What makes substance substance like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter this link will blow your mind

•What makes human human like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens this article is for advance english users of course, but I am pretty sure you will be able to read it or switch to simple english.

•What makes black hole black hole like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole careful this one includes math not easy to comprehend, but you can always look at youtube here:

•What makes earth earth like

Here is an article that is more comprehensible to the medieval minds....

what makes an atom atom like

Of course these definitions are limited to our current knowledge and may be correct or partially incorrect and may be subject to human limited knowledge. It is our understanding of these things that makes them what they are. The more we know about something the more sophisticated and accurate understanding we have.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i think you misinterpret my question, which once again make you sound dumb .

why does each thing have/contain intrinstic property and quality rather than possess say non., or why doesnt everything possess the same quality and essence.
the identity of a thing is strongly sssociated with its quality and property.

each indivdiual thing in this universe possess its unique and distinct quality. why?

water cannot be water if it does not possess water like qualities.

what is qualities made of/where does these qualities come from?

is qualities removable, changable, or is it essential?
can you remove qualities from a thing

but i bet you will find another way to troll my answer rather than contribue something meaningful.

perhaps qualities can be argued as states/forms of matter (solid, liquid gas),, but alot of things in the universe are outside normal matter or atoms.
pe

Top Bottom