• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Psych Experiment: Names

Dagny

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:40 AM
-->
Does your ID give away more than just your name and age?

or

Do we adhere to the stereotypes that our given names generate?

Hypothesis: Because people are christened with a certain name that has stereotypes attached to it, they react either by molding themselves to fit the stereotype or by rejecting the stereotype and molding themselves to be the antithesis of the stereotype.

This is an experiment I created for my psychology class. It works out very well that I came upon this website just at a time when I need intelligent people to survey instead of just the usual 5-watt bulbs tottering around in the real world. If you like to participate, please fill out the form below and either PM me or post it to this thread if you’d like to share your thoughts with others and discuss them.

Code:
[b][u]Name Survey:[/u][/b]

How old are you?

What is your first name? [Real first name required, otherwise the data is worthless. I am going to assume that whatever name people put is their real first name, because we are all competent individuals here.]

Are you always called by this name, or do you choose to be called by a nickname, middle name, etc.?

Do you think some names are more stereotypical* than others?

If so, what are some names and their associated stereotypes*?

Do you think your name has a stereotype* attached to it?

If so, what stereotype(s)*?

Please list some adjectives and/or stereotypes* to describe yourself.

Comments? [On this experiment, the topic, etc.]

[Thank you for participating in my survey.]

[*Note: When the word “stereotype” is used, it does not necessarily mean high school clique titles such as “cheerleader” or “nerd.” It can also mean adjectives that promote a certain image, such as “artsy” or “slutty.”]

I would love it if as many people as are willing took this survey and communicated to me their results.

Thank you,

Dagny

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
Yesterday 11:40 PM
-->
1) 21

2) Jesse

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) Melvin is largely associated with lackwits.

6) Yes

7) It gives the impression that I am Mexican, I am not.

8) Tall, overweight, lazy, intelligent, long hair, glasses, slightly eccentric , apathy(but not discontent) for social norms.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Depends how much thought goes into the name. Could be a modern version of the animism of the Native Americans, the dreamworld where they discover his/her name, e.g. Jumping Badger (who became Sitting Bull), Gall, Hawkeye (INTJ), Geronimo (whatever that means?), Crazy Horse (ESFJ), Broken Wing (or is that a Hendrix track?) etc.

Last edited:

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Yesterday 9:40 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
1. 17

2. Sarah

3. I've always been called this name, and it's particularly hard for nicknames to stick for long.

4. Not exactly. There are popular names that are common within a certain generation and certain things can be said about a generation, but there aren't too many particular stereotypes that aren't simply linked to famous people with the same name.

6. Not really. Like Perseus said, it all depends on how much thought is put into the name. As for me, I was simply given the name because it sounds pretty and isn't one of many girl names that end in an I or Y sound. ex) Kelsey, Mary, Carrie, Britney, etc.

7. If there is any stereotype at all, I'd say it's that of being adaptable, simply because the name Sarah can be adapted to many languages without any modification other than its pronunciation.

8. adaptable, independent, willing to try new things, thoughtful, insightful

Gorgrim

Local time
Today 5:40 AM
-->
1. 18

2. Anders

3. Yes i am always called Anders in real life, only have a nickname online.

4. Aye, i'd definitely say there are some quite stereotypic names. Mostly old names that people don't use anymore, or overused "popular" names, to be honest.

5. Danish names might not suffice for your survey... but. Else is a particular stereotypic name with associations like: old, friendly and well acting.

6. My name is quite normal, i guess it sorts of instilled in me that my name was average, which i didnt want to be.

7. Weird, Incoherent, Smart, Amusing, Intelligent.

I think I didnt really like my name all that much, i felt like it wasnt an important name, so I wanted to mold myself away from my name if you could say that. In fact, i didnt like the idea of my name till I as alot older.

When I got older, i accepted more aspects of how I was, and realised that the name had nothing to do with anything. I realise now that it is nothing but a ways of contacting somebody and a help to remember a person by linking what you collect about the person into a little "box" with a name. The brains way of making information easier, i suppose.

Artifice Orisit

How old are you?

What is your first name?
Blake

Are you always called by this name?
Always called Blake

Blake means: The dark one, dark skinned
Otherwise no, the name is quite uncommon

Geek, and proud of it
Australian
6ft white male with dark brown hair/eyes

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
First Name: Sam
Always: In person yes, but obviously here and many other places on the internet I'm Decaf.
Are some names more stereotypical: More stereotyped? Sure, more stereotypical? I don't believe name has a significant influence on a person psychologically unless you roll it in with all of a person's upbringing.
Name and associated stereotypes: Tad and Mervin. I think most of us are aware of how those names have been stereotyped from movies and whatnot.
Stereotype: Its a bit of a "buddy" name
Adjectives: quick, nice, smart, distracted, brown hair, blue eyes, average height, stocky, white, male, big teeth, nerd

Last edited:

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
How old are you?

What is your first name?
Leif

No nicknames, except the obligatory -y when being referred to by parents. I do suffer with a lot of mispronunciation though. I go by "LAFE" but most people say "LEAF" or "LIFE".

Some names are more common that others... sometimes people really "look like" their name, but I'm not sure what that even really means...

I guess there are some stereotyped names like "Bertha", "Helga" or "Gretchen" which imply large mean women, or "Bob" which is pretty generic, or "Bubba", "Cletus", or "Biff" which imply dimwits...

Nordic??

Geeky, nerdy, non-althetic, argumentative (in an INTP kinda way), laid-back

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Uhm, without wanting to answer fully here (i think i would not make much sense to talk about this in such a short manner) i want to comment one thing:
Fusion: I think these 'stereotypes' about Bertha, Helga and Gretchen come from lousy Nazi-films...in Germany this is far away from "mean, large women". Ok, large may be right for Bertha and perhaps Helga, in a peasant-sort of meaning (You know, the 55-year old mother of the big family on a farm; and Helga is a usual name in northern Germany). But Gretchen (being quite rare today) has other connotations. The most famous appearance of a 'Gretchen' was in Faust of Goethe, where Gretchen is a beautiful, lovely,naive young girl... ;) (But ok, in America the stereotypes are probably different)

One thing this does show already: Stereotypes do differ significantly over time and space of societies...

The phenomenon of someone 'looking' like his name (or even more behaving like it) stems probably from the parent-relation, i mean, certain types of parents are more likely to name their children certain names...

Ogion

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:40 AM
-->
I'm a big believer in names.
(Which leads me to admit I'm an Earthsea nut too. :) )

How old are you?

What is your first name?
Jennifer

Are you always called by this name, or do you choose to be called by a nickname, middle name, etc.?
I go by Jennifer, Jen, or Jenny. Many more Jenny's now, based on THIS particular username. :)

Do you think some names are more stereotypical* than others? If so, what are some names and their associated stereotypes*?

I think some are stereotypical but don't feel like taking the time to delineate them all because none leap out to my mind as exceptional stereotypes. See other answers for the more typical stereotypes.

Do you think your name has a stereotype* attached to it? If so, what stereotype(s)*?
Some people think the name Jennifer is soft, sweet, kind, deep, noble.
Others have also referred to it as boring and commonplace since the name was popular in my age group.

Deep, quiet, perceptive, resilient, noble, strong, empathetic, smart, creative

I'm going to admit something that none of you really know, simply for the purpose of this study... since the answers have to be honest if they're to be useful.

"Jennifer" is not my actual birth name, I've had my name changed in adulthood. There are good reasons for this, which are besides the point here nor do I want to discuss them in public forum.

But I "chose" Jennifer because it more "chose" me; I just knew who I was and I never really thought about it. The name reflects who I am as completely as anything could, far better than what I was born with.

I did have people who knew say to me, "Why did you pick THAT name, when you had a choice of ANYTHING in the world?"

I chose it because... well, I knew it was my name.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
How old are you?

What is your first name?

Ches - It's not short for anything

No nicknames, but merciless teasing. My grandfather's name was Chesley, but everyone called him Ches. My dad wanted to name me after him, but my mom refused to name me Chesley (yay mom!) so they compromised.

A few of the mispronunciations I have endured all my life:

Checkers - haha, as oppossed to Chess. This was creative the first time I heard it. The 15,000th time...... not so much
Chester - If ever I murder someone it will be because I was called "Chester the Molester" one too many times
Chaz
Chet
Cheese - a college professor called me this one on the first day of class- stupid asshole
Chez - most common, sometimes I think I get called this more than my actual name
Che - the French pronunciation?

Do you think some names are more stereotypical than others? If so, what are some names and their associated stereotypes?

The more common names seem to get more stereotypes and I think personal and cultural context has alot to do with it. It might be interesting to pick the most common names and then create a survey where the participant enters the first thing that comes to mind upon hearing that name.

Do you think your name has a stereotype attached to it? If so, what stereotype(s)?

No stereotype for my name that I know of.

Please list some adjectives and/or stereotypes to describe yourself.

easy going (usually), patient (usually), thoughtful, analytical, weird, off the wall, geek, honest, stubborn

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
How old are you?
What is your first name? [Real first name required, otherwise the data is worthless. I am going to assume that whatever name people put is their real first name, because we are all competent individuals here.]
Mariah
Are you kidding? Mariah is one of the least nicknameable names out there. In spanish class we have to have "spanish" names, so there I'm Maria. Here I'm ScienceLady38.
Yes. Take, for example, ethnic names. Sometimes, people look at other's names and can infer that they are of a certain ethnic group. Other times they can tell if their parents are conventional or unconventional. Also, we form connections between everything (even if some connections don't exist, or don't make since), so if you have met/heard of many people who have a specific name that are a specific way, then you'll start assuming things about people with that name.
Leah = really annoying (this is my sister's name)
names that are changed around or are unconventional, such as Terrastella (what was one of my favorite names in the sixth grade) or Desdemona (one of my current favorite names) usually have either the positive connotation of being exotic and unique, or the negative connotation of being stupid and silly.
Maybe. Some people say, "oh! Mariah like Mariah Carry". Some older people start singing "The wind is Mariah" at me (it's an old song).
see above.
disorganized, insane, nerdy, hermit/introvert (same difference), intellegent (hopefully), thoughtful, science geek, stubborn, annoying, don't pay attention all the time, bookworm. Somewhat artsy. I was considered by many to be a freak because I actually liked chemistry class.
I want to see the results, this is an interesting experiment.
[Thank you for participating in my survey.]

[*Note: When the word “stereotype” is used, it does not necessarily mean high school clique titles such as “cheerleader” or “nerd.” It can also mean adjectives that promote a certain image, such as “artsy” or “slutty.”]

Last edited:

severus

Local time
-->
How old are you?

What is your first name?
Emily

Always this except for rare occasions of "em"

yes

brittany/kristen: stupid, slutty, says "like" a lot
ethnic sounding names (e.g. Keertan)

no

quite, reserved, skeptical, libertarian, short, fairly thin, glasses, thoughtful, intelligent, etc.

Comment(s): I know easily a dozen people named Emily. Cheerleaders, goths, athletes. I dislike my name because it is so popular. I would rather be named Severine*. :D

*I did not just make this up based on Severus. It's in my French textbook!

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
stereotypes:

strange, lonely, sexy (in a strange sort of way), interesting to talk to, shy, weird(sometimes), funny (in a strange sort of way), fussy (according to some), lazy (to some people), unclear in speech (for some types)

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
Perseus... you've posted twice in this thread, but neither to take part in the survey. I understand if you wanna keep that stuff private, but I'm just a little confused why you want to snipe stereotypes at those that are participating rather than do so yourself.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
How old are you? 18

What is your first name? Devyn. Pronounced like the English county.

Are you always called by this name, or do you choose to be called by a nickname, middle name, etc.? I wouldn't be called by my middle name for love or money or all the tea in the world, never mind bloody China. My brother calls me 'Dev' sometimes, but mostly I get the whole thing.

Inevitable misspellings/mispronunciations: Durven, Dervin, Devlin, Devlon, Devi/on. Te last one I don't mind so much.

John and Mary are boring/reliable, but samey and won't stand out. Patrick is Irish. George is a bore, but one who's loyal and dependable and strong. Peter is old fashioned.

No, but it is unusual and androgynous, so I get pegged as different and nonconformist, which suits me just fine. It literally means 'poet;' I actually do write and am quite introspective, although that just as well might be the influence of a mother who would pick a name that means 'poet' for her child. :rolleyes: People also seem to think it's French.

Please list some adjectives and/or stereotypes* to describe yourself. Artistic, creative, different, independent, weird, funny, quiet, smart, geeky, solitary, bookish, curious, helpful.

Comments? [On this experiment, the topic, etc.] I want to know what you find out too. This is fascinating.

[Thank you for participating in my survey.] It was fun.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:40 AM
-->
I think we should have a temporary names while we are kids and then at certain age like a rite of passage we should get to choose our own names. That would be awesome.

Im not telling you my name...:phear:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

oooo, oooh, let's guess!

- Francis
- Hank
- Farfenugen
- Biersley
- Guiseppe
- Mario
- Hans
- Jorge
- Methuselah
- Habukkuk
- Corwin
- Pat
- Lorenzo

.... hmm, maybe it would be better for you if you just told us. ;)

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You wouldnt guess in a million years muahaha

Habukkuk sounds nice tho :p

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
-->
I think we should have a temporary names while we are kids and then at certain age like a rite of passage we should get to choose our own names. That would be awesome.

I agree 100%! I've often considered how I would implement this should I ever have kids. I think it's a great idea.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'd like to have my name changed from "Ches" to " ". That way I never have to sign anything.

:phear:

But if you changed it later, we'd have to call you The Poster Formerly Known as .

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
not to mention you'd have the easiest signature to forge in the history of human-kind

Artifice Orisit

Well illiterate people were know to use a drop of blood to "make their mark", that could be hard to forge unless you could access the source.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
not to mention you'd have the easiest signature to forge in the history of human-kind

yikes. That's a good point!

(if he made a decent-enough salary to have money worth stealing)

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
@Dissident: Well, you're from Argentina, so probably Spanish name. (Unless it is an indian name). If you were a woman i'd start my guessing with Puri(-ficacion) or Concepcion ;) (Yeah well, at least in Spain they do have some very silly names^^)

Ogion

Uhm, i thought there was a xkcd-comic related to this, so i searched, but now i did't find it and don't know anymore what it showed...But well, at least i had the last hour browsing through xkcd-comics...I just love them...:D

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
Dissident, can I just call you Arturo or Luis?

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 5:40 PM
-->
I bet it's Arturo. Or Gonzales. ;)

I'd contribute to the survey, but I'm not comfortable revealing my name. Despite the fact it changes frequently.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Dissident, can I just call you Arturo or Luis?
No, no you cant...

... please dont :p

@Lor: Gonzales is actually a last name. Stop guessing or Ill call you Margarita ;)

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 5:40 PM
-->
OK, it's Arturo Gonzales then.

And you can call me what you wa... Oh. Wait.

I have a sinking feeling you know my actual name. And it's makes a real nonsense of a name in Spanish.

Right about now I insist that everyone refer to Dissident as Dissident. Or Sir Dissident if he prefers.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Yesterday 10:40 PM
-->
Hey, Sir Dissident... oh, come on, let's try with a name of tradition: Atahualpa.

(jk, don't kick me :p)

I'm not comfortable revealing my name either, so I'll pass this time.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
No, no you cant...

... please dont :p

OK... but I may start calling you Agustín or Ignacio in my head. Just sayin'. (As a side note... its HARD to find good Spanish names without religious "meanings")

I think I'm comfortable revealing my name because I intend to eventually drop off the grid and assume an alternative identity anyway. 'Course now I can't use my planned Jonas Sinclair because I used it in the last story. Its challenging trying to create an alternate identity, complete with email, financial accessibility and no ties (even ip addresses) to my current one.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hey, Sir Dissident... oh, come on, let's try with a name of tradition: Atahualpa.

Can I just call you Chalupa?
It's easier to spell... and makes me happy to think about.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->

That would be the most awesomest ever. Like Le Corbu!

(As a side note... its HARD to find good Spanish names without religious "meanings")

Not true. The most common ones do have religious meanings, but there are a lot of names derived from german, english, greek and latin that have no religious "meanings" (having been the name of a couple of obscure saints is not enough):

Bernardo, Adrian, Alberto, Roberto, Carlos, Eduardo, Javier, Alfonso, Ramon, Alejandro, Andres, Marcelo, Antonio, Cesar, Ramiro, Felipe, Rodolfo, Diego, Edmundo, Ricardo, Leonardo, Emilio, Jorge, Mario, Nicolas, Oscar, Sebastian, Gilberto, Hector, Gonzalo, Raul, Enrique, Rodrigo, Hugo, Ernesto, Julio, Eugenio, Sergio, Gustavo, Federico, Lucio, Gerardo, Victor...

hmm and all those are relatively common male names. :cool:

Edit: It may even be that Dissident's name is one of those...

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
@Jenny:

Chalupa as in a canoe, or as in the snack? :D Either way I don't think Dissident would be happy.

About the Spanish names:

Uh, Tekton, those are still the names of saints. Anyway, the Catholic Church is to blame. Even now some priests refuse to baptise a kid if the name is too "weird" or too "pagan". And until the 19th century, everybody had to be baptised in the Spanish speaking world.

I read that in Tabasco, Mexico, they had an anticlerical movement back in the early 20th century that resulted in kids being called things like Florisel.

IMHO, precolumbian names are making a steady comeback. Citlali and Xochitl are common for girls, in Mexico. There was a Peruvian presidential candidate called Ollanta, but I doubt that's common. The Atahualpa joke I made is on the name of an Inca emperor. It's also the name of a singer.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Hey Dagny, do you want me to give these questions to a few of the people I know IRL and see if they want to answer them? I know some cool people I could ask; they might give you a little extra data, seeing as we've forgotten that you asked us a question...

shaunjvallejo

Local time
-->
How old are you?

What is your first name? Shaun

Are you always called by this name, or do you choose to be called by a nickname, middle name, etc.? Lord and Master works well, but otherwise.....no.

Hmmmmm......never really gave much thought to the attachments to names. I would say those stereotypes tend to be more personal. For instance, if I meet a Sarah, I may compare her to other Sarahs I've known.

Anyone named Adolf may ring my bell, but thats about it.

If it's said, everyone says Irish. Then they tell me it's spelled wrong.

Irish?

ehh.....INTP.

Medium height, athletic build, impatient, absentminded, stubborn.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Uh, Tekton, those are still the names of saints. Anyway, the Catholic Church is to blame. Even now some priests refuse to baptise a kid if the name is too "weird" or too "pagan". And until the 19th century, everybody had to be baptised in the Spanish speaking world.

Yeah I know, but people today rarely choose those names because they are saint's names. And most of those names were also popular way before those saints even existed. Contrast strongly religious names like Jesus, Miguel, Pablo that have their roots in hebrew or aramaic or latin and that were popularized mainly because of their biblical relationship.

I read that in Tabasco, Mexico, they had an anticlerical movement back in the early 20th century that resulted in kids being called things like Florisel.

IMHO, precolumbian names are making a steady comeback. Citlali and Xochitl are common for girls, in Mexico. There was a Peruvian presidential candidate called Ollanta, but I doubt that's common. The Atahualpa joke I made is on the name of an Inca emperor. It's also the name of a singer.

Yes I see this too. But it's debatable wether they can be considered "spanish" names and not mayan or nahuatl or incan or whatever native-american-language names...

It would be great to invent names up that have no relationship to anything, but don't sound outright sci-fi unpronouncable and strange. Gender neutral, race-neutral, and nationality-neutral. Maybe I'll just change my name to a number.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It would be great to invent names up that have no relationship to anything, but don't sound outright sci-fi unpronouncable and strange.

Hi. I'm here. :D

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
And it's a nice name.

*Thinks of the Cuban made up names like Yumisleidis*

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Hi. I'm here. :D

But Jesin strikes me as a rather masculine name, not neutral.

BTW is that
1) Yeh-seen
2) Yee-seen
3) Yeh-sine
4) Yee-sine

??? I personally believe it's #1

And it's a nice name.

*Thinks of the Cuban made up names like Yumisleidis*

Yummy. Ever heard of Onedolar? Somebody told me there was an Ingodwitrost out there... That stuff is just sad.

Dagny

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hey Dagny, do you want me to give these questions to a few of the people I know IRL and see if they want to answer them? I know some cool people I could ask; they might give you a little extra data, seeing as we've forgotten that you asked us a question...

Hello, apologies for my tardiness in responding. You don't have to take it upon yourself to do something like that, but I must say I would greatly appreciate it. It would definitely add to my data, which I am almost finished compiling.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
It's no problem! (Apologies for not getting myself on the forum to check if you actually replied or not.) I'll have it the next time I post: I don't get on the internet particularly regularly. (As I'm sure some people have noticed by now. ^^; ))

(I like parentheses. (I don't know why.))

tekton said:
It would be great to invent names up that have no relationship to anything, but don't sound outright sci-fi unpronouncable and strange.

Fantasy writer trick no. 5: Make up names using the letters on a Scrabble rack. It's unbelievably fun, once you get into it. (Is Nikala a real name? It's one of my characters' names but I don't know if it came from somewhere or not.) O_o

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
I always liked Dieniki (pronounced: The Any Key)

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
I always liked Dieniki (pronounced: The Any Key)

Which has hereby been stolen. ;) Fantasy Writer's Trick no. 6.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:40 AM
-->
It would be great to invent names up that have no relationship to anything, but don't sound outright sci-fi unpronouncable and strange. Gender neutral, race-neutral, and nationality-neutral. Maybe I'll just change my name to a number.

If you want to apply these names to all world, it would be impossible to create gender-neutral names in all languages. Some of languages have masculine and feminine forms of nouns, hence this peculiarity remounts to human names as well. Though a great deal of languages also have neuter gender (and some - over three gramatical genders), having gender-neutral person names is still unprobable, because the names, when used in languages with two gramatical genders, will be fitted to certain gramatical rules. The only solution would be a creation one common language for everybody.

Snail

Harem Manager
Local time
-->
Name Survey:

How old are you? 29

What is your first name?
I'm not comfortable sharing that information, but I will say that it is listed in the "Encyclopedia of Bad Taste" along with names like Tiffany and Brittany.

I go by "snail" in real life, because it means more about who I am.

Yes.

Angela is pure, Susan is innocent yet intelligent, Kate is assertive yet feminine, Carla is for tough tomboys, Ashlee is for the rich and popular.

Yes. My name has the same stereotypes as "Tiffany," only to a slightly lesser degree.

Popular airhead, cheerleader type, non-intellectual, non-creative, bubbly, outgoing, slutty, insensitive, judgmental, superficial.

Quiet, meek, creative, sensitive, artistic, gentle, intelligent, compassionate, empathetic, reserved, idealistic, open-minded.

I'm sorry I couldn't give out more details, but I feel that what I stated was accurate apart from the omission of the name.

Top Bottom