• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Prose debate (split from "The Single Flaw with Hard Determinism)

JansenDowel

Local time
Today 3:06 PM
-->
We would be able to know about particles, since the universe isn’t just a simulation, but holographic. That means every piece of information is encoded in each pixel to make a hologram operate, so the universe is similar, going beyond information encoded in DNA. For example when you breathe air, then exhale, the oxygen (O2, O as an abbreviation), turns more acidic, into CO2. So you could predict events if you understood the science enough. It kind of does change things, or can influence as much.
you can understand as much as science as you want, doesn't help you predicting everything. E.g. a double pendulum is a trivially simple system which is perfectly described by differential equations, yet its movement is practically impossible to predict because it exhibits chaotic motion.
Predicting everything is your own twisted form of a mating call exerted out due to pressure and responses picked up from cues indicating you should do whatever you need to survive and look cool. It isn’t anything you need to be a genius to see through. Googling something a second beforehand doesn’t do any good. I’m done talking to you, because there’s no point to the elusiveness.

Mate, you need better pros. Your words are virtually incomprehensible because you don't know how to fucking write well.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 10:06 PM
-->
We would be able to know about particles, since the universe isn’t just a simulation, but holographic. That means every piece of information is encoded in each pixel to make a hologram operate, so the universe is similar, going beyond information encoded in DNA. For example when you breathe air, then exhale, the oxygen (O2, O as an abbreviation), turns more acidic, into CO2. So you could predict events if you understood the science enough. It kind of does change things, or can influence as much.
you can understand as much as science as you want, doesn't help you predicting everything. E.g. a double pendulum is a trivially simple system which is perfectly described by differential equations, yet its movement is practically impossible to predict because it exhibits chaotic motion.
Predicting everything is your own twisted form of a mating call exerted out due to pressure and responses picked up from cues indicating you should do whatever you need to survive and look cool. It isn’t anything you need to be a genius to see through. Googling something a second beforehand doesn’t do any good. I’m done talking to you, because there’s no point to the elusiveness.

Mate, you need better pros. Your words are virtually incomprehensible because you don't know how to fucking write well.

I'm not sure I see a grammatical error. Where was his language unclear?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 8:06 PM
-->

You are a moron. I wrote better than you. Please deconstruct my syntax properly, or be quiet, and complain about something real rather than nonsense.

You did nothing at all.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I’ve also been typing on a fucking phone the pst two months or so because I don’t have WiFi now.

JansenDowel

Local time
-->

I didn't say he made grammatical errors. I said he doesn't have good prose. Take this sentence for example

"Predicting everything is your own twisted form of a mating call exerted out due to pressure and responses picked up from cues indicating you should do whatever you need to survive and look cool."

Where do the verb phrases end exactly? What is being 'exerted out': the mating call or the prediction? Why does he write as if 'pressure' and 'response' be separated by a single conjunction -- they can't. Why does he keep chopping between phrases without a clear indication of when the next one begins? In short, here is a much better sentence that makes more sense structurally.

"Predictions are a tool we use to survive in hostile environments. They allow us to anticipate dangers and respond accordingly."

There we go, much better. And much easier to understand.

JansenDowel

Local time
-->
You are a moron. I wrote better than you. Please deconstruct my syntax properly, or be quiet, and complain about something real rather than nonsense.

You did nothing at all.

No you don't, actually. Your writing is convoluted and extremely difficult to understand. I'm willing to bet you have had no difficulty understanding anything I have said....

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
If you take a class at school, you have to study. At no point did anyone say you automatically understand anything the first time you see or read it.

There are some people who get straight A’s without studying.

JansenDowel

Local time
-->
If you take a class at school, you have to study. At no point did anyone say you automatically understand anything the first time you see or read it.

Sure. But why can Steven Pinker communicate really complex ideas in a way that is easily understood, while you barely communicate really simple ideas? It is because you don't know how to write. You write like you're talking to yourself and not to another person.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

Sure. But why can Steven Pinker communicate really complex ideas in a way that is easily understood, while you barely communicate really simple ideas? It is because you don't know how to write. You write like you're talking to yourself and not to another person.
Because you are either a moron or don’t know what you’re talking about.

Because I don’t.

Show me where I didn’t make sense or wrote bad. I write good and always have.

Also, I’ve been posting on a phone.

Stephen Pinker wrote a book and decided to, intending all that. At no point did I ever say or decide to hold your hand.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Why can people just use metaphors to explain or say anything? Yet, when I use metaphors to explain the most complex, complicated idea of all time, people take it literal just so they can complain or be disappointed.

It’s self fulfilling prophecy and there’s no point taking to anyone about it, and only partially because they’re racist and just refuse to listen or entertain the notion.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I was wondering why Hadoblado wanted to ignore you.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

You did nothing at all.

No you don't, actually. Your writing is convoluted and extremely difficult to understand. I'm willing to bet you have had no difficulty understanding anything I have said....
I’ve read science textbooks as difficult, so to speak, or complex. Why would anyone have difficulty understanding that? It is a normal string of words. If someone spoke a language you didn’t know, you wouldn’t understand. I’m also bilingual, and sometimes put a dash of my other language in English constructions. I’m more fluent in English than you. Come back when you’ve read Sherlock Holmes, I can tell you haven’t, and can’t.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

I didn't say he made grammatical errors. I said he doesn't have good prose. Take this sentence for example

"Predicting everything is your own twisted form of a mating call exerted out due to pressure and responses picked up from cues indicating you should do whatever you need to survive and look cool."

Where do the verb phrases end exactly? What is being 'exerted out': the mating call or the prediction? Why does he write as if 'pressure' and 'response' be separated by a single conjunction -- they can't. Why does he keep chopping between phrases without a clear indication of when the next one begins? In short, here is a much better sentence that makes more sense structurally.

"Predictions are a tool we use to survive in hostile environments. They allow us to anticipate dangers and respond accordingly."

There we go, much better. And much easier to understand.
No, because you’re moving goalposts. I’m typing on a phone, not turning in an essay for school. I wrote that in 5 minutes, not an hour after editing or turning in a rough draft with feedback from the professor.

It was more small talk than anything else. I can still write descriptions, what, “better”(?) than you. In short, it’s arbitrary.

Why don’t you rewrite your query more concise? You aren’t doing anything with your life. Like, at all.

In civilization predictions make people look cool. That’s why someone like most Ni users here attempt to do that all day. Some things don’t need to be made a big deal of just because you want to show someone.

I didn’t do any of the things you said I did. You are just a coward who wants to be seen as a shining example in the eye of culture and society. You won’t, because you are an average husk.

Pressure response isn’t the only compound word denoting that. I was exploring two separate ideas, and I’m writing a book that you can read about the rest there. Why would I post it all for free on a forum?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
*past

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Like I said, I understood what Pizza was saying just fine. IDK if you've noticed, but there are a lot of really smart people on this forum - far smarter than myself. Sometimes writing about complex ideas requires complex writing. I don't see you barking up @The Grey Man's chain about his writing and yet he writes some of the most complex language on this forum. Besides, while some people do write complex ideas in a simple way, it is usually because of who they are writing too rather than doing it for the sake of it itself. But I think you are wrong and perhaps @Pizzabeak's language just went over your head. It happens sometimes.

JansenDowel

Local time
-->

Like I said, I understood what Pizza was saying just fine. IDK if you've noticed, but there are a lot of really smart people on this forum - far smarter than myself. Sometimes writing about complex ideas requires complex writing. I don't see you barking up @The Grey Man's chain about his writing and yet he writes some of the most complex language on this forum. Besides, while some people do write complex ideas in a simple way, it is usually because of who they are writing too rather than doing it for the sake of it itself. But I think you are wrong and perhaps @Pizzabeak's language just went over your head. It happens sometimes.

You're right. I had to read it 3 times realize he was saying something i already knew. Those ideas are not complex, they are extremely simple. Its just his writing is so bad I couldn't undestand what the hell he was talking about.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

You're right. I had to read it 3 times realize he was saying something i already knew. Those ideas are not complex, they are extremely simple. Its just his writing is so bad I couldn't undestand what the hell he was talking about.
That’s something I’ve been saying about you this whole time. Why just copy me? Plus, your grammar and spelling suck. Finally, that’s the joke.
You search for anything and realize it’s been there the whole time. I understood the complex ideas. Now, I see the simplicity in everything. Just because you’ve been hanging around me all this time, me being the smarter person, and it caused you to be able to understand complex ideas faster because of that, doesn’t mean you get to bite the hand that feeds and say something about that because you want to insult.
It’s what Architect was talking about. So what, information got cheaper? Actions speak louder than words. My writing doesn’t suck, ENFPs are the simple ones. They’re dumb.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

That’s something I’ve been saying about you this whole time. Why just copy me? Plus, your grammar and spelling suck. Finally, that’s the joke.
You search for anything and realize it’s been there the whole time. I understood the complex ideas. Now, I see the simplicity in everything. Just because you’ve been hanging around me all this time, me being the smarter person, and it caused you to be able to understand complex ideas faster because of that, doesn’t mean you get to bite the hand that feeds and say something about that because you want to insult.
It’s what Architect was talking about. So what, information got cheaper? Actions speak louder than words. My writing doesn’t suck, ENFPs are the simple ones. They’re dumb.

Most virtuous writers have their hate I guess. For you it is just bubbly personalities.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:06 AM
-->

But you think you can talk me into doing what you want to? And even if you can, you won’t be able to keep me under your thumb. It’s like you want to do it so that you can take advantage of me now. But you aren’t worth using me. There are things on earth that are not yours to choose. It’s about time you were able to do this for yourself.’

The question of your intentions is a crucial issue, and as an artist, you should take care not to make it a meaningless one. I have the utmost respect for you, but I am sure you know that you will have your own desires

I put in Pizza's post into talktotransformer.com lol. This was the output.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

A word like "smarter" is being used in an accusatory fashion, even if it’s completely untrue. I will only insult people because I’ll enjoy it. And if you’re one of the people who likes me for my words and not my actions, that means you are not smarter than me. I like doing something that benefits me, that you enjoy, and then I will find an easy way to take it from you. Because then I’ll have something to complain about. The other way is to listen to my words and be happy about it.

Because, as someone who lives with mental illnesses, I will be forced into mental institutions that treat me like my condition does everyone else. I don’t care. You are not going to take my shit. You will not force me into mental institutions. You’ll be lucky if you get on the subway on your way to work.

I have heard there are places within the psychiatric system where one may be able to speak to somebody. Unfortunately, most of them are inside the hospital. Some hospitals are run by mentally ill people who are not treated well, while others are run by doctors who are not competent or qualified to diagnose mental illness.

People are not told what they say until the very time, when they have to tell someone something they don’t want to be a burden to, when they can give an accurate, factual answer;

I don’t want to do anything because I have been given some sort of license to lie because I'm a woman. I have seen my doctor and he tried to take my virginity right in front of me.

There is no one who does not have a personal, physical, or emotional stake

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:36 PM
-->
I know I'm not the best person for you to hear this from, we tend not to get along, and historically we haven't treated each other with respect. I feel compelled to step in because I think Jansen has you mispegged, and is forcing you to defend against claims that, while not unfounded, are ultimately unhelpful as they miss the mark.

I'm just going to real talk, I don't expect you to agree but I'm not going to argue with you.

PB you take a lot of drugs, and while you're not stupid, your mental health is poor.

It's not that your writing sucks, it's that your thoughts are disorganised to begin with. You have difficulty maintaining a single train of thought, instead often starting with one idea and then ending somewhere completely different without any apparent roadmap for how you got there.

You're also paranoid and ultra-defensive (hence the current debacle, although to be fair, Jansen came in running hot). I'm not sure if you realise how alarming it should be that you seem to genuinely think other people are leeching off your ideas and intelligence like parasites... Especially in this forum where the stakes are basically non-existent.
Every issue comes back to why you feel unvalued by society and women specifically - why don't people respect you the way you think you deserve?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
PB you take a lot of drugs, and while you're not stupid, your mental health is poor.
No I don’t. I tried some medical marijuana when it first came out but it didn’t work. I read a lot of books about psychedelics, that doesn’t mean it equates with doing them or any drug.
My mental health isn’t poor. There could be any number of contributing factors. The more popular ones are social manipulation and environment. I think gaslighting techniques and groupthink mentality are responsible for a lot of it. In short, popular consensus does not always equate with truth. You can’t tell someone who they are, or pretend to know better than them about their own mind or head.
Things aren’t always run by the most qualified, including the mental health system, that relies on outdated models of consciousness as much as a flatearther or any other attempted freethinker on the wrong track. It doesn’t take an engineering degree to be a theoretical physicist.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
No I don’t. I tried some medical marijuana when it first came out but it didn’t work. I read a lot of books about psychedelics, that doesn’t mean it equates with doing them or any drug.
My mental health isn’t poor. There could be any number of contributing factors. The more popular ones are social manipulation and environment. I think gaslighting techniques and groupthink mentality are responsible for a lot of it. In short, popular consensus does not always equate with truth. You can’t tell someone who they are, or pretend to know better than them about their own mind or head.
Things aren’t always run by the most qualified, including the mental health system, that relies on outdated models of consciousness as much as a flatearther or any other attempted freethinker on the wrong track. It doesn’t take an engineering degree to be a theoretical physicist.

I'm sure you know your drug situation better than I do. It is super weird how much you talk about drugs and your drug taking experiences if you don't do drugs often though. But whatever, I'm happy to be wrong.

The mental health comment wasn't meant as an accusation. Most people here have poor mental health, myself and the mods included. This forum is more of a mental health forum than an INTP forum (whether that's the intention or not). Note how you denied having poor mental health, then listed reasons why you might have it? (gaslighting and social nonconformity).

Anyway, I'm not going to get into a semantics game. When I refer to mental health, I do so from my opinions about where you fit in the established framework. If you reject that framework that's fine, though I'd be interested if you could try thinking within the framework without necessarily accepting it (the same way I talk about people's type without accepting MBTI). At the very least you might garner some insight into how other people perceive you since your thinking seems so different.

A mental disorder is any pattern of thought, mood, or behaviour that causes distress or impairment. You frequently express frustration with life, and I think it sounds a lot like you're either distressed, or facing barriers to having the life that you want, or both.

Anyway, I know it's probably stupid to tell you what I think you have. Every psych book under the sun tells you to help people come to their own conclusions. I guess I'm just frustrated that you've been posting so long and still haven't really addressed the elephant in the room. I feel dishonest for not having been direct.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I meant any number of reasons people might think I have mental health problems or why they’d want to accuse me of having them. It isn’t smart or right to talk about them like that. So what, most people haven’t read Joyce and think they know prose? You nor anyone here majored in English literature but I’m the closest. French is a weasel way out for romance. Your writing sucks, and is the usual humdrum anyone will say or do uncreatively and from a morose person. So it is pretty clear why someone would want to bring mental health up or schizophrenia. I’m not going to talk about people’s ability or inability to comprehend something not only correctly but as intended. Everything is clear because you want to say all is as it should be so no fingers are pointed. Thus, women care about self image and who they are seen with, such as a confident person or one with power. If it isn’t that then the fault is communicating the message efficiently enough. I know you’re from Australia and don’t like aboriginals. It doesn’t mean you can latch on to perceived abnormalities because culture is your enemy. You’re probably the biggest drug user of all if you drink coffee or any caffeine. That you’re the one always socially pointing fingers is the first clue I’m among a group of constant pesterers. I didn’t forget why I said I’m not responding to you. If it’s all instigating a fight so a mod could ban me then we have nothing to talk about.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I don't really want to get into an extensive quote war. I was trying to be honest and direct, it's obviously not working for me. I'll fuck off now.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
The mental health comment wasn't meant as an accusation. Most people here have poor mental health, myself and the mods included. This forum is more of a mental health forum than an INTP forum (whether that's the intention or not).

I actually wonder to what extent it would help more people become more self-aware of this if the mods just went ahead and renamed the forum that. You'd have my blessings.

@Pizzabeak I don't really expect you to trust my opinion either - from your posts, I don't expect you to trust anyone who might try and be direct with you. But hado really isn't gaslighting you into believing you have issues that aren't there from what I can see. It feels like he's trying to be helpful and I'd have a great deal of respect for you if you stopped to listen.

As an aside on the thread topic. I don't think mental health is by necessity a determining factor of good or bad prose. It's very likely that Joyce (and his daughter) were schizophrenic. But someone like Joyce is really an exception, rather than the standard, by virtue of him being an undeniable literary genius. Having disorganised thoughts is more likely to produce disorganised & incoherent writing in most cases. Just because you might choose to write using Joyce's stream of consciousness technique really doesn't mean that your writing is comparable to Joyce's.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I don’t care about any of that since it wasn’t what was on my mind in particular. It wasn’t a new idea. Those opinions you share are just attempts at becoming the new normal as it deflects as much of my own essence as possible from you as if to result in some purity, yet, I’m the one who is the source of your further and further so called “enlightenment”. That is all 2 Broke Girls stuff anyway, if you’ve seen that show, where Kat Dennings’s co-star plays her “opposite”, as that show clearly parodies situations such as this and what has presumably been going on because of that.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
full disclosure I thought at some point that pizza was some sort of natural-language-processing algorithm experiment. Second theory was that he's just a dude who likes to blaze up and start tapping on the keyboard to see what comes out.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 5:06 AM
-->
Pizza you are just conversational item for ppl here. Useful to ignite spark to make forum going by triggering response when things go boring. Some outrage some dissbilive some annoyance. Useful to dealinate subgroups as measuring stick or prop to form social standing by expressing 'genuine' concern about you. You have been chosen.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
@Hadoblado, rate my mental health on a scale of 1-10 :glasses-nerdy:

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 9:06 PM
-->
It takes me more energy to understand PB than other forum members but I'm ok with this.

Deleted member 1424

Most people here have poor mental health, myself and the mods included. This forum is more of a mental health forum than an INTP forum (whether that's the intention or not).

Hey now, Hado, I take deep offense at this. Kuu and Higs are perfectly sane. Plus the relative absence of Ragnar and Auburn can only be indicative of a deep soul-crushing sanity that keeps them from interacting with all us charming lunatics.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 1:06 PM
-->
i am drugs

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 5:06 AM
-->
Don't worry, darlings, I'm here to make it all better

b751e284bf152550725a8b016f15441a.png

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
full disclosure I thought at some point that pizza was some sort of natural-language-processing algorithm experiment. Second theory was that he's just a dude who likes to blaze up and start tapping on the keyboard to see what comes out.
As always it’s always better to Google something beforehand, or reread what you wrote for any typos. You don’t know me because your sense of so called truth and justice are flawed. You’re just a moron who doesn’t read because he relies on the social currencies and manipulation for success instead. It isn’t a game and nonetheless not one that you have say what’s being indicated might be missing so a relation or event could progress. If you’re just mirroring someone’s lack of respect for your own achievement or clout then you’re doubly so an algorithmic experiment, and not the least of so because everything you try to say as deep topic I’ve mentioned already, if it’s been long enough so no one remembers no need to remind anyone. If you want to talk that take it to any AI or computer engineering discussion.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Pizza you are just conversational item for ppl here. Useful to ignite spark to make forum going by triggering response when things go boring. Some outrage some dissbilive some annoyance. Useful to dealinate subgroups as measuring stick or prop to form social standing by expressing 'genuine' concern about you. You have been chosen.
Maybe one needs to quit assuming everyone else has read and studied the same source material. Thus, perhaps regurgitating everything is the key. Synthesis and integrating original ideas with it is too advanced and down the line. Even though everything’s been ruined already it still isn’t too late to start a book club about that, then take people along somewhat slowly, to just confirm that you do know over that medium. Since life is about breathing air, you’d have to say something specific, or least acknowledge that you’re aware somehow.

I haven’t really said much because I only recently found this out, and before you posted your contribution, washti. To think I read this before and hadn’t responded before, means it could be better to reply at first instead of waiting until less busy. Awareness only goes so far. Once you figure the thing out, I suppose, then it’s not only easy to respond, but definitely makes more sense to as well.

Intuition is more an automatic response to stimuli. It doesn’t necessarily mean the info is a priori. It’s only a backup measure just in case the organism isn’t wholly “aware” of stimuli in their perception. It’s true there’s considered introverted intuition and extroverted intuition. However, you can still be conscious and have intent regardless.

Top Bottom