• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Problems with the Education system

shrub77

Local time
Today 8:41 AM
-->
I'm writing a research paper on the above topic, does anyone know of any good articles relating to it?
Here is a good essay criticizing the mathematical education system:
http://www.maa.org/devlin/lockhartslament.pdf

My main problem is the way they teach and the grading system.
Teachers are encouraged to for the standardized test, which all states are required to give at the end of the year. The teachers dare not teach above the requirements, nobody shows any initiative or enthusiasm any more. Second, 'A' are given out more liberally now, and most colleges do preliminary screening based on GPA. Most teachers just hand out bullshit assignments and give 'A's just on turning in the completed assignments, regardless of any errors. The problem with this is, that, they give a fuckload of these papers, hand out A's and nobody learns anything. This also encourages cheating, as most of these assignments are mundane and don't require effort, nobody wants to do them.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 6:41 PM
-->
With the private tutoring I provide, I first teach people the various routines they need to know (ie. how to solve ODEs) and then I teach them how to problem solve.

shrub77

Local time
-->
With the private tutoring I provide, I first teach people the various routines they need to know (ie. how to solve ODEs) and then I teach them how to problem solve.

Must high school students can't solve ordinary algebraic word problems without struggling, but can simplify expressions ad infinitum. This is the problem I'm trying to address

shrub77

Local time
-->

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 6:41 PM
-->
Must high school students can't solve ordinary algebraic word problems without struggling, but can simplify expressions ad infinitum. This is the problem I'm trying to address

This is what I notice from 1st year university students as well.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:41 AM
-->
Hans Eysenck had some progressive ideas about stratifying based on intellectual ability.

Antediluvian

Capitalist logic collides with external wisdom
Local time
-->
They need to hurry up with those cognitive protheses (well, they should extend beyond correcting impairments). No need for education system, then.

defghi

Local time
Today 1:41 AM
-->
My main problem is the way they teach and the grading system.
Teachers are encouraged to for the standardized test, which all states are required to give at the end of the year. The teachers dare not teach above the requirements, nobody shows any initiative or enthusiasm any more. Second, 'A' are given out more liberally now, and most colleges do preliminary screening based on GPA. Most teachers just hand out bullshit assignments and give 'A's just on turning in the completed assignments, regardless of any errors. The problem with this is, that, they give a fuckload of these papers, hand out A's and nobody learns anything. This also encourages cheating, as most of these assignments are mundane and don't require effort, nobody wants to do them.

And it's not just that most A's are undeserved, there are many A's that are deserved but are not received. Grades are not based on learning and knowledge, they're based on work. If you don't learn through monotonous repetition, you're fucked. I can't even tell you how many classes I've learned all the material (usually by myself because the class moves at a snail's pace), aced every test, and gotten a C because of my methods. And then, even going to talk to the teacher, explain the situation, and have them say "sorry, can't compromise my sacred grading system, it was in the syllabus" and end up with grades below ignorant cretins who can't answer a single question about the subject.

Perhaps I didn't pursue it far enough up the ladder, I don't understand why teachers feel so pressured to stay within their arbitrary systems. They are there, teaching the class every day, aren't they capable of evaluating students by themselves? There are so many students out there right now who are getting the "really smart, but doesn't apply himself" treatment- being put down, as if they were given knowledge and aren't using it, instead of the reality that they had to acquire that knowledge just like everyone else and they deserve to be recognized for it.

Rant over, I know it's not exactly what you asked for but might give you more perspective to write about.

Philovitist

Yeah!
Local time
Today 4:41 AM
-->
Ability to work within an imperfect system is just as important as learning the material.

defghi

Local time
-->
Ability to work within an imperfect system is just as important as learning the material.

Learning the material IS working within an imperfect system. And anyways, I've learned to play the game, but that doesn't really help everyone who is still getting put down for their learning methods.

Philovitist

Yeah!
Local time
-->
Learning the material IS working within an imperfect system. And anyways, I've learned to play the game, but that doesn't really help everyone who is still getting put down for their learning methods.

I don't see how having your own learning methods would keep you from doing well in class unless you decide to ignore assignments to pursue them. :/

But no, working within the system is making the grade and otherwise demonstrating your learning (with cool ECs).

Sadly. >.>

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:11 PM
-->
A friend's sister just finished their university qualifications and became a teacher. She expressed distress at the syllabus, saying that it was so limited, and that she wishes she could teach them other things. I pointed out that the time allotted per semester was more than enough to teach everything in the syllabus, and that she could then teach them whatever she wanted. At first she didn't really understand, but then she was sort of like 'oh yeah, that's really clever, but wouldn't that be more work?'.

Out of the 4-5 teachers I know around my age, I would only care to be taught by one of them. There is a complete lack of passion and principle in the public education system. It's unfortunate, because teachers hold a position of influence over the next generation.

InsertImpossibility

Sgt. Wackjob
Local time
Today 9:41 AM
-->
I don't know if this problem exists in USA aswell, but my personal take on the school system in The Netherlands, where I'm from, is that the testing methods and teaching methods are focussed too much on the avarage person. Next to this they offer extra help to students who are below avarage, but persons with above avarage knowledge don't get any extra attention or challanges. So part of these people will pass high school without studying or working and after all these years never have learned to learn. And these people will have troulbe adjusting to the fact that in University they have to work and study, which they don't know how to, thus leading to a lot of them not passing their first year of University just because they don't know how to study.

Is anyone else familiar with this kind of problem?

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know if this problem exists in USA aswell, but my personal take on the school system in The Netherlands, where I'm from, is that the testing methods and teaching methods are focussed too much on the avarage person.

That's been the problem in the US for over a century. Affirmative action, political correctness and IDEA have worsened these tendencies. You need stratification based on intellectual ability so that smart kids have an enriched, stimulating curriculum and dumb kids aren't overwhelmed by the material. Right now, the average 68% benefits more than the IQ outliers. Another problem is that teachers and administrators rule by fear, which isn't conducive to learning compared to actual interest in the material. If you don't do homework, you'll never graduate and get a job! It's a really bad formula for success. It doesn't help that teachers are largely halfwits and autocratic failures.

gilliatt

Local time
-->
An idea, fire all the professors except keep one, sell all the schools. Why spend all this money, besides it is failing miserable anyway. There is not one thing we can't do on the computer/internet. Yes, one professor can teach the whole universe. Think of the theoretical possibilities in education. We could have thousands of diversified subj. & just think of how cheap it will be. I should have thought of this idea long ago. See, the simple truth, the education establishment 'ain't nothing but a jobs program'.

InsertImpossibility

Sgt. Wackjob
Local time
Today 9:41 AM
-->
An idea, fire all the professors except keep one, sell all the schools. Why spend all this money, besides it is failing miserable anyway. There is not one thing we can't do on the computer/internet. Yes, one professor can teach the whole universe. Think of the theoretical possibilities in education. We could have thousands of diversified subj. & just think of how cheap it will be. I should have thought of this idea long ago. See, the simple truth, the education establishment 'ain't nothing but a jobs program'.

This system will fail in students who need extra attention to learn, they won't get personal attention thus les interested thus they won't learn as well as others.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
This system will fail in students who need extra attention to learn, they won't get personal attention thus les interested thus they won't learn as well as others.

Moreover, who will answer the questions?

-Duxwing

Minimalist

"The wise man knows that he knows nothing" or some
Local time
-->
Based upon my current understanding of the prominent theories and observations about the human brain I have come to the conclusion that individuals differ in how they process information and the environment (Myers-Briggs being one theory of course). This being the case, (individuals differ) how can one expect an educational system designed for one type to be effective at identifying and utilizing the strong traits of an individual. In other words, current schooling methods throw different individuals into the same system. This design does not encourage the development of differing traits but of sameness (conformity). A more beneficial approach for the Individual would be to identify their type (personality, learning style, Etc.) and place them into an environment that will foster their strong traits. Einstein could have been driven to insanity had the right environmental factors been in existence for him. Why implement this system? Simple. Many traits are worth preserving do to the function within the greater society they provide. (ie physical dexterity Is called for in some circumstances and intelligence of a type in another) It is in the Interest of the species to keep the gene pool open to a variety of traits in the event that the environment changes dramatically.

Top Bottom