• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Problems solving skills??

cosmicflow

Intp female
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
Does anyone know a good book about developing skills on solving and analyzing problems and puzzles , especially in mathematics and physics ?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How to solve it - Polya. Kinda basic but is the mandatory mention.
How to prove it - Velleman. Very good to read as no one really teaches you how to write proofs in university.
Cauchy-Shwartz master class - Steele. Very nice and elegant survey of inequalities.
How Euler did it - http://eulerarchive.maa.org/hedi/

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 3:58 PM
-->
Does anyone know a good book about developing skills on solving and analyzing problems and puzzles , especially in mathematics and physics ?
Chess, researching, debating and playing a musical instrument. Will work. 100% surety.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 6:28 AM
-->
Play a lot of different games in childhood. Better start designing a time machine.

cppcoder

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The only way to improve your problem solving skills is through solving problems. However, you can speed up the process by learning standart problem solving techniques. I would suggest Paul Zeitz's The Art and Craft of Problem Solving to get you started, then Engel's Problem Solving Strategies to learn about techniques specific to different subjects in mathematics.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 3:58 PM
-->
Okay, problem solving skills, sometimes they come naturally to you or you have to develop a strict approach. This approach however when developed enhances the celerity of grasping problems significantly.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Chris11

Local time
Today 3:28 AM
-->
How to solve it - Polya. Kinda basic but is the mandatory mention.
How to prove it - Velleman. Very good to read as no one really teaches you how to write proofs in university.
Cauchy-Shwartz master class - Steele. Very nice and elegant survey of inequalities.
How Euler did it - http://eulerarchive.maa.org/hedi/

You must be a comrade (aka fellow mathematician).

I second Serac's recommendations, but I strongly recommend The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Zeitz. That book really did change my life.

Top Bottom