• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Poetry

Freakorawma

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 07:06
Do intp’s like poetry?

What do you think about the poem do not go gently into that good night?

Poem

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today, 10:06
Do intp’s like poetry?

What do you think about the poem do not go gently into that good night?

Poem
I enjoy poems but will not individually/actively analyze deeply unless I can share with someone, i.e. you :) / others here

Background: "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night is a poem that meant a lot to Dylan Thomas, who wanted to see his father face death in a blaze of defiance." - via https://owlcation.com/humanities/Analysis-of-Poem-Do-Not-Go-Gentle-Into-That-Good-Night-by-Dylan-Thomas

Text-ifying here for ease of reference to stanzas, etc.:

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas

I think that article analysis quote was pretty spot on. Didn't read the whole article, didn't feel I needed to lol.

To me, it says that while people will cherish the light of living and the faded darkness of death, there is meaning and honor in looking death in the face, enduring the suffering that may come with it, and the vivid animosities associated with the last dying fight. I.e. "Owning" the pain rather than struggling with the wish that there should be peace when it may or can not exist.

Marbles

Local time
Today, 16:06
Poems I like are far between, but Do Not Go Gentle is one of them. I'm not sure I understand it, but the idea of raging against death even though you do not think it matters is touching to a nihilist like me. If the Universe supplies no meaning, all meaning is subjective. There is liberation in that, relief, even.

Do you like the poem, or poetry in general? Which other ones do you like? The first poem I felt strongly about was Du må ikke sove (You mustn't sleep) by Norwegian poet Arnulf Øverland. It was written in 1936 and tried to awaken Norway to the atrocities taking place in German concentration camps. Sadly, I cannot find a good English version. Poetry is what's lost in translation, as the saying goes. Here you are, anyway. The English version is the the bottom of the page. The Norwegian version is there too, for all the Norwegian users here, but you've probably all heard it before.

https://www.deviantart.com/nabium/journal/Du-maa-ikke-sove-Dare-not-to-sleep-572803196

This is another poem I really like, by Bukowski:

Top Bottom