• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Picking up?

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
Today 4:42 AM
-->
Is it just me or is this forum picking up? I personally think its great, but I hope it doesn't wind up as impersonal/big as, say, intpcentral. Thoughts?

mm1991

Local time
Today 3:42 AM
-->
I think it's picking up.
For me, personally, I haven't had anything to do lately than to sit at the computer for hours on end.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I wish I had that time. I found the forum, liked it, slapped it on my favorites, and made a point of posting regularly.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I agree. I've been a part of my own share of forums and this one is the coolest, hands down.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 1:42 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Yeah, it's great how there's finally ten or more new posts every day. I really like this forum, since I don't know a single INTP in real life so far as I know.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I'm really happy too. I'm happier, because one of my best friends is an INTP, and two more are INTJs. And another is an INTX... I guess I'm just lucky...

Oh, and I'm celebrating my 100th post! Yay!

mm1991

Local time
-->
I don't know any INTPs in real life.
And I'm homeschooled and it's winter out (I walk everywhere) so I don't want to go anywhere. I have hours upon hours of time.
Once the weather clears up though, I probly won't be psoting on here as much as I am now.

tesseracter

Local time
-->
I found this forum from a site describing INTP's. Maybe that link is new! As I've stated before, I'm pretty sure I am INTP, but the tests have not given me that result, so it's questionable. However, when I came to this website, I was really surprised to see people who think just like I do!! Kind of freaky, actually. Which makes me realize, I really don't know very many INTP's in real life.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Well, I don't have too much faith in free tests floating about the Interweb...

mm1991

Local time
-->
I haven't posted in a while.....sorry!
We've had really great weather recently!

And yet, it's the first day of spring and we're anticipating 10 inches of snow.

wadlez

Local time
Today 7:12 PM
-->
Damn it i thought this thread was going to be about picking up chicks.
Does any other INTP out there find this hard?

Ermine

Local time
-->
Lol. I say there should be a thread on "picking up" people but not specifically girls since there are a ton of girls on this forum too, myself included.

Yes, it's hard for INTPs to get into, and keep up, romantic relationships. However, I imagine it's harder for INTP girls, especially when they're my age (I'm 16). I'm not just pitying myself. I think it's because INTPs don't ever truly fit in. Also, INTP girls are everything that isn't your average stereotypical girl. They are analytical, intellectual, and independent. And I don't know about other INTP girls, but a large part of my personality is that I won't compromise myself to please others. I also never play games (as in mess with their mind) with people for the fun on it. These two things are essential to flirting.

Also, the whole being an analytical, independent, intellectual girl seems to scare guys off. Let's face it, most tenage guys are insecure and one of the best ways for them to gain more confidence is for a girl to play the part of the "fairer sex" in order to make them feel manly. Often this means asking favors, acting weak, playing dumb, etc. I simply can't and won't do that. It's hard for an INTP girl to get a boyfriend in high school that's worth the trouble.

farlda

Local time
Today 8:42 AM
-->
^ I hear that.
Tried asking out an INTJ, but apparently he was threatened by my intelligence (erm, what?) or some such crap. It wouldn't matter so much if everyone weren't pairing up all of a sudden. So trivial.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Because, lets face it, the average guy needs to be watered twice a week.

wadlez

Local time
-->
Fernando, I am amazed that you are a 16 year old girl. Are you one of those child prodigy's who's is years ahead of all her pupils?
I guess INTP's are just geniuses

Yeah lots of girls deliberately act stupid and don't get into any activities apart from going to party's and shopping. Do you think they actually do this to attract men though or if they just enjoy doing this for some other reason?

Ermine

Local time
-->
I don't really act my age, I guess. And I really can't say for sure if I'm a child prodigy or not because it's not easy to get ahead of my classmates in public school. If I were homeschooled, I probably would have skipped a grade or three, but I've been in public school all my life.

As for why girls act shallow and slightly stupid, that's a mystery I'm still trying to figure out. Though I'm a girl, I only have as much insight as any guy would because I don't enjoy parties or shopping that much. The only things I have in common with most girls are the anatomy and the desire to look pretty. The only explanation I have at the moment is that society wants them to play the part of the "fairer" or "weaker" sex. Also, girls are supposed to be social butterflies no matter what. It doesn't matter as much for guys since they have the "intellectual" or "strong and silent" archetype to hide under if that isn't the case.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Though I'm a gu, I feel like offering my two cents as well. I think its both because it helps them pickup guys with insecurity complexes, and its easy. It's easy to act stupid, but it takes effort to act smarter than you are. I personally would never try to navigate the web of social subtleties that most females travel by. SO they take the easy route, and there's no reason to change, unless you're an NT.

The S type generally being content where they are, will eventually settle into the web,

The F type will stay in the web for the sake of harmony, if nothing else.

N's will get out, because we are forever searching for new solutions,

T's will get out because we don't seethe logic in staying there.

I generalize, of course, but you get my point.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 9:42 PM
-->
Hey - there's eight of us on-line at once! I think this is the best time in a forum's life - look at INTPcentral, it's just a nasty bun fight for social attention. What happened to the meeting of minds that NT types yearn for?

Which brings me to picking up. . . I wonder if INTPs are so rare because we have so much trouble getting to the procreating stage? :rolleyes:

Honestly, the types of persons we would find mutually attractive are fewer than the options of the general populace, if we consider and honour our hunger for intellectual stimulation.

Searching the ES stomping grounds never appealed to me, nor did my peers when I was younger. I have found that meeting people comes as a natural consequence of pursuing my intellectual passions first. That and an insatiable curiosity for eccentricities has created some unusual possibilities, but I am so slow to actually realise someone might be interested in doing anything more than talk to me. Physical signals have to be amplified about a million times before I actually get the message.

So if you find an NT girl and she seems to enjoy talking to you, you might need to be prepared for a long and interesting chase! But nothing makes sex more interesting than the mind, just don't be discouraged.

Actually, considering NT guys can be just as obtuse when it comes to signals, the whole mating game can be a comic adventure. Best to keep a sense of humour.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I should wear a shirt "Hi I'm an NT guy and I'm obtuse!"

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
I get on this computer when you lot are sleeping. And you get on when I should be. At that note, just a few more searches through this thing, and some comments, and I'm away for a nap.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 9:42 PM
-->
I should wear a shirt "Hi I'm an NT guy and I'm obtuse!"

That should win some smiles for a start ;)

If they don't get it, forget it. :p

Sleep well Cabbo. I actually have a day's worth of work I'm avoiding here, so time I disappeared also.

By the way - Nine on-line!

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Back of the shirt: "If you don't get it, forget it!"

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
nice. I slept the time difference, and I'm back on. There's no such thing as good morning TV in britian. Or if there is they're keeping it from us Northern Ireland types.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Ewww... morning TV. I just use video games or the interwebs.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
By the way, the test I took, which lead me here was based on myers/briggs. It is myers, isn't it? Whaterver. The MB one.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I believe it's "Meyers", but it is commonly written as Myers.

Alie

Local time
-->
I just read what Fernando wrote earlier on in this post about girls having a harder time with flirting. I absolutely agree with this because I am constantly frustrated when I try to get a guy to notice me or get him to know that I like him. For some reason we INTP's didn't get the flirting gene...ugh!!

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
The flirting gene = false. I don't know how other people do it!

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Nah, more like social skills 101.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Or, how to not piss people off 101, or any number of things, really.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
How to avoid sinking into the crowd and becoming an exact replica of your friends, thus instantly dividing your chances by the number of friends you have 101.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Friendly insight 101, then.

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
How to stop caring and love the bomb 101.

Sorry, that was a weird Stanley Kubrick plug.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
never heard of him.

Last edited:

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
You've never heard of Stanley Kubrick?

You're in for quite a ride.

Dr. Strangelove all the way, my friend.

--

I uhm... I'm a little embarrassed to say this (and I hate the word 'embarrassed' enough to consider not writing this parenthetical statement just to avoid having to type it again), but I'm truly curious about this...

It's been said that I seem to 'flirt with everyone'. I'm very rarely interested in a girl, because I so desire one who is intellectual... and have only found one, and she moved away. :(

But seriously, my manner of being involves a blurred line between sarcasm and reality. I live messing with people's minds, playing head games, loving jokes most when no one gets them (it was interesting finally meeting an INTP who *did* get them...)... and as long as I flash a smile all the while, this goes over wonderfully.

Which is hysterically ironic, by the way, as people seem to like me for asserting my intellectual dominance over them in a way beyond their comprehension.

Still, making lighter jokes comes naturally enough.

So, I don't really "flirt" now-a-days, but... everyone here has trouble with it? I've never met my dad, but supposedly he would brag about his ability to get any girl he chose to fall in love with him. Maybe I just got some odd exception gene.

I wonder if he was an INTP. This whole post has been very odd, so I'm going to post it before I change my mind.

(Is impulsivity an INTP thing? Perhaps a result of getting sick of never making a final choice, so you just pick one?)

.L

Last edited:

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Impulsivity, I think so. I tend to dodge the crowds of people that would search for flirting where it isn't, but I know what you mean. I too tend to blur ht elines of reality and sarcasm and tell inside jokes. Has anyone ever come to you with the line, "You're so smart, why don't you work harder?" I find it irritating, because I do work hard, in my own way, and also, intelligence is not equal to work ethic...

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
"It should be, though." What can that mean? How is it possible to say what intelligence should be equatable with?

I think we're discussing the distinction between wisdom & intelligence, here. I think people assume you will be intelligent enough to find 'doing something with yourself' a good decision, and you are obviously capable so.... people wonder, where is the disconnect?

And of course, the real issue is that it doesn't take much intelligence to come to that conclusion- intelligence really is hardly a factor, except in execution, perhaps. We just all have our issues that hold us back.

So, false correlation on the part of the masses, agreed.

.L

wadlez

Local time
-->
Yeah intelligence is very hard to measure, IQ is way off.
Getting a job and succeeding seems to relate to emotional intelligence, I know lots of really smart people who are doing nothing with there lives because they are too lazy to do anything.
As for the subject of why woman act stupid, I asked a friend of mine on msn who does this allot, and she ignored me (too stupid to reply to that question, we normally just flirt and talk about nothing)

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
I think people are confusing unusual friendliness with flirting in you, linsejko.

I get the whole personal in-joke thing too. Except that all my friends are equally, more, or just less intelligent than me, so I can't 'assert' anything. Not even creativity. Wierdness, though...
but you don't really assert wierdness, do you? Ahh, whatever.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
Cabbo, I hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time.

One can hardly realize the amount of frustration/difficulty/etc. such confusion has regularly caused me...

Though, I'm lost, honestly, as to what, exactly, you are referring to.

heh.

.L

Last edited:

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
People are confusing your unusual friendliness (which is not to say you are overly friendly, it is just unusual) with a flirtatious attitude. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I think people are confusing unusual friendliness with flirting in you, linsejko.

I get the whole personal in-joke thing too. Except that all my friends are equally, more, or just less intelligent than me, so I can't 'assert' anything. Not even creativity. Wierdness, though...
but you don't really assert wierdness, do you? Ahh, whatever.

Weirdness. Not wierdness. Sorry. <\Grammar Police>

Last edited:

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
It should be </Grammar Police>.
You even spelt grammar wrong.

And 'spelt' is a word, goddamnit!

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
NO I DIDNT HA! YOU CAN'T PROVE IT! Also, it IS a backslash, trust me, in the actual coding that comes from, it's a backslash.

Top Bottom