• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Phobias.

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->
I came upon a list of phobias not too long ago, and was very interested, because:
There are some really crazy phobias!

I was going through the list just reading them off.
There was fear of infinity, fear of being touched, fear of opinions (my personal favorite), etc...

But then I See:
Arachibutyrophobia

And it turns out, that arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

I also liked Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeymen.

I just find these to be pretty eccentric phobias, so I decided to post them.

P.S. Join the Killa game!

Local time
-->
while a phobia is actually an irrational fear that affects your daily life- these are some i can relate to.....
automotonaphobia- fear of ventriloquist dummies, coulrophobia- fear of clowns, necrophobia or thanatophobia- fear of death, taphephobia- fear of being buried alive

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I'd say that arachibutyrophobia is a fairly rational phobia. While it isn't a serious problem, it's kind of freaky having really sticky peanut butter glued to the roof of your mouth, especially when it's close to being at the back of the throat. Wouldn't that be dreadful, being gagged by peanut butter?

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Today 2:27 PM
-->
while a phobia is actually an irrational fear that affects your daily life- these are some i can relate to.....
automotonaphobia- fear of ventriloquist dummies, coulrophobia- fear of clowns, necrophobia or thanatophobia- fear of death, taphephobia- fear of being buried alive

LOL @ safety coffins.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
I dont see how thanatophobia is irrational, but i might have that as well.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
yea the fear of death can't really be turned into a phobia. Death being the ultimate mystery of life and all. I don't consider myself of being afraid of dieing because we all have to sometime. however I am a bit afraid that I might waste the time I have on earth.

Though I used have a rather bad case of Arachnophobia

and, while doing some side reading prompted by this thread, I found that I may in fact have Apeirophobia - fear of the infinite. This being that contrary to popular opinion, I desperately hope that there is a definite end to consciousness. I don't want to die this instant, or any time soon for that matter. I just think the idea of living forever is (or would mean being) insane.

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
-->
Who has phobias and what are they?

I don't really have any.
I guess I'm scared of the dark, but I like the dark at the same time.
It's odd.

("..." FREEEEEEEEE!!!) :D

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
A fear of death is not usually a rational thing. It's most often based on emotional attachment to being alive. There is no 'logical' reason for people to fear death itself.

I am absolutely not afraid of the dark. I have loved the dark since I was a very young child. I remember kids in pre-K trying to lock me in a bathroom with the lights off to test that theory.

I was actually quite happy; time alone in dark silence was something I hadn't really gotten to appreciate properly before that moment.

To this day I still love dark silence.

I used to believe I had no fears, but then I finally had an epiphany about 6 months ago of my one and only fear.

That was an interesting day.

.L

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Awww... please elaborate? Please?

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes, you can't just mention your one and only fear and then get away without telling us about it!

murkrow

Local time
-->
I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!

took me an hour to kill a spider than was on my wall the other day... and then it turned out to be dust.

however, earlier today I killed one with no problem.

sometimes they scare me and sometimes they don't.

I think it has to do with where they are in relation to me.

if they're above me I'm terrified, if not then I deal with them quickly and painlessly (for me, fuck them.).

Last edited:

mm1991

Local time
-->
I have a fear of feet and anything medical related.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
That kind of information should not be posted online for just anyone to find. ;)

Sorry to keep you clifhanging, friends, but that's just the way it's going to be.

.L

murkrow

Local time
-->
In hiding your fears from us you have revealed them.

Conquer them you must. [/yoda]

CowSavior

White Jesus
Local time
-->
That kind of information should not be posted online for just anyone to find. ;)

Sorry to keep you clifhanging, friends, but that's just the way it's going to be.

.L

Are you talking about your fears?

Ex-User (221)

Local time
Today 7:27 PM
-->
I can't think of any specific fears, but I have really bad vertigo... sometimes I can't even walk down stairs.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I fear spiders, but don't hate them. I'm always very kind and considerate when I remove them. I've mastered my phobia, insofar as I can make myself get a glass and a magazine, trap them and throw them outside without screaming the whole time or cowering in a corner. Unless it's a really big one, but not a taranrula or anything, because I don't mind them. A big spindly one, those are awful. The fear is mostly of them crawling into my mouth while I'm asleep, and I rationalise it by saying it would be irresponsible of me to keep them in here where they could starve to death and not rejoin the ecosystem, which is a fair point.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
Murkrow, come now; surely you recognize that the same action can be motivated by fear or wisdom, and that the action itself is not solely indicative of motivation.

.L

manger

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Vomit. Can't be near someone throwing up, can't bear to hear the sound of someone throwing up, or the smell.

To a lesser degree I think I'm afraid of really large and tidal waves. I live by the water and have dreams about giant waves wiping everything out at least once a month. Stuff like this makes my palms all sweaty 301 Moved Permanently

Local time
-->
I have an irrational fear that when I die, I will still be mentally alive, just physically immobile. It's the tedium that scares me. That's why I want to be cremated.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have an irrational fear that when I die, I will still be mentally alive, just physically immobile. It's the tedium that scares me. That's why I want to be cremated.
Are you kidding me? that would be awesome! Atleast way better than just ceasing to exist for all eternity, that would be my fear.

Local time
-->
Are you kidding me? that would be awesome! Atleast way better than just ceasing to exist for all eternity, that would be my fear.

I think I'm less introverted than the average person on this forum.

I don't mind not existing anymore. If I cease to exist, I won't even know.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
i cant stand the idea of it going on for ever, though i am the above average angsty teen

LeftenantWalker

Redshirt
Local time
-->
spiders and heights I really hate spiders sort of scream like a girl lol they just creep me out

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
Your lack of punctuation shows that you are no INTP!

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 6:27 PM
-->
-raises a hand-

Ermm aren't I a living contradiction to that rule?

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
-->
Nien, swine.

You don't use over-popular and exessively annoying abreviations commonly associated with 12-year-old emos.

Aphasia

Local time
Tomorrow 2:27 AM
-->
lol rotf dinosaurzz?

...ugh.

I hate flies like there's no tomorrow. Everytime one lands right beside me or on me, I resist an urge to scream and murder it immediately. (with emphasis on murder) I'm also afraid of interacting with groups. 2 people good, three people okay, 12 people horrific (depends, but this is usually true)

kimboli

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
Arachnophobia is my biggest
and some people - my second
Snakes and wild carinvores - I got a few fears

Saturnine

Local time
-->
I am terrified to fly, and It's not a fear of heights...I think it might be airborne claustrophobia lol don't know if there is a term for fear of airplanes.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Aeroplanophobia, I would imagine. Aeroplane is Greek, but I'm not sure about what ending a word takes before -phobia.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am terrified to fly, and It's not a fear of heights...I think it might be airborne claustrophobia lol don't know if there is a term for fear of airplanes.

An interesting name, from saturn for an intorospective. I am afraid of high bridges unless I am in a very good mood.

Perseus
http://soredragon.blogspot.com/

PreAlgebra

Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
I think this is a really interesting topic. We are a very hyper-rational bunch and a phobia is defined by the irrational fear of....So this duality is very interesting and amusing.
I just recently developed a fear of flying as well. I think it has to do with the airborne claustrophobia thing because it only happens in large plain and not in two seater plains. That and a lack of control of the situation if things were to go wrong.
I know that I should not have this fear and that it is absurd but it is still there.

Saturnine

Local time
-->
Then again, I don't think that fear of being in an airplane is all that irrational.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It is when you realize that there are less chances of an accident in a plane than in a car. Ive never been in a plane tho, Im not sure how would I react.

Saturnine

Local time
-->
Yeah, people tell me that all the time, and I always say I'd rather be in a car accident lol I mean compared to other phobias (for example: Phobia of peaches)...fear of flying seems a lot more rational and less insane.

Top Bottom