• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Peter Cappelli: INTP?

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today, 16:08
Just watched this:

Why job seekers don't land jobs.

It's only 7 1/2 minutes long (7 minutes 31 seconds, to be exact).

Struck me as very much like an INTP's style of reasoning. What do you think? INTP?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today, 09:08
Sure, maybe, there's no compelling evidence either way. I don't know if the reasoning is more INTP than another or not. Going after one bit, he has the idea that employers are maybe perfectionists for candidates is because they have so many applicants, and then he targets the prescreen software. Fine idea, but nothing like that what I've ever seen, I think it's simple psychology.

Back 10 years ago we were hiring like crazy. We had stringent requirements for who'd we take, but in the end we needed bodies so the goal was to push people through the hiring system.

Now we rarely or never get to open jobs. When we do, psychologically your viewing it as a much rarer thing (there's only one), so you treat it much more carefully. Further, we're staffed much less now so you want to get somebody competent, because if you don't it will drain rather than make your job easier.

I think it is that simple, people take them more seriously because there's so few openings, so naturally people will treat them more carefully. Regardless there's way too little to go on if he's an INTP or not.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today, 11:08
Sure, maybe, there's no compelling evidence either way. I don't know if the reasoning is more INTP than another or not. Going after one bit, he has the idea that employers are maybe perfectionists for candidates is because they have so many applicants, and then he targets the prescreen software. Fine idea, but nothing like that what I've ever seen, I think it's simple psychology.

Back 10 years ago we were hiring like crazy. We had stringent requirements for who'd we take, but in the end we needed bodies so the goal was to push people through the hiring system.

Now we rarely or never get to open jobs. When we do, psychologically your viewing it as a much rarer thing (there's only one), so you treat it much more carefully. Further, we're staffed much less now so you want to get somebody competent, because if you don't it will drain rather than make your job easier.

I think it is that simple, people take them more seriously because there's so few openings, so naturally people will treat them more carefully. Regardless there's way too little to go on if he's an INTP or not.
Some are hiring programmers: my dad tells me that anyone with a degree in computer science can find a job where he works.

-Duxwing

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Some are hiring programmers: my dad tells me that anyone with a degree in computer science can find a job where he works.
Yes I know, I'm talking in general. Software is one of the few or only places where there is lots of work opportunities.

Valentas

Local time
If you ain't hired, hire yourself and start a business. Of course, firstly find out what you like and what market needs.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Really? Wow. Most of the programmers I worked with, all had degrees, but not in comp sci.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yeah I rarely (ever?) meet one without any technical degree. I work at and with the top drawer places for this kind of thing so I guess that would be expected. Maybe at startups or smaller companies it's different.

Top Bottom