• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Personas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 9:16 AM
-->
Part I.

Those who have encountered Lyra are going to say that's not going to be easy. That's especially true if Lyra himself has asked me not to talk about him. Let's see what I can do and I hope in the doing he wouldn't be displeased, though that could be not the case should he return, but maybe not. If something is awry I'm sure the moderators will step in and say to me, "Enough already", and I will lay back.

First I would like to talk about the "persona." The persona is the face we put forth to the public. We all do that. In reality we are three-dimensional people but showing our full self is too difficult. What we show is one face at a time, one or two-dimensional, sometimes only one face ever. Sometimes it is unconscious. That is why we have the term ... to call attention to it and make it conscious. I've experienced this. In my beginning posting days I deliberately abstained from showing any emotion, not knowing how to anyway. I thought that would be more true to getting at truth. I was wrong. I made it such a firm policy I forgot I was doing it and the impression I would have on others. By giving the wrong impression I distorted the very effect I wanted to get across. I'm trying to fix that.

I believe in the case of Lyra, the persona plays a primary (not the only) role. There is a difference between a persona you or I may take on and the persona, for example, of an actor or actress. The latter personas are separated from the person underneath. As an aside please note that some actors or actresses actually take up that trade because they don't have what they believe to be an adequately developed true self underneath. I have missed some of Lyra's threads which others have uncovered. They show he intended to take on personas. I will get to that later.

A story before Lyra. I posted on the RagingBull bulletin board for ten years. On the Religion board (a subset) there was this fellow with the handle, "SATAN." Atheists, agnostics, ministers, fundamentalists, and student seminarians came to this board. So you can imagine what would happen if Satan arrived. SATAN was true to his character and was wonderful. He played the role all the way, wrote poetry and gave the impression of a real Satan. He interacted with others. Others treated him as if he were really Satan. That was his role and anyone who came to the Religion board might as well believe (for practical purposes) they were talking to the real Satan. One day, I don't recall how it slipped out, we found out he was an ordinary Joe, employed in a shop living in Florida. That's when the shit hit the fan. His detractors now ruthlessly made fun of him. The nerve of this ordinary guy that he should fake Satan. His cover was blown.

So why would this cause trouble? He was an innocent actor, wasn't he? We can only speculate. Maybe people came to believe they were talking to a real Satan (you've got to be kidding) and they trusted him. Seeing him as an ordinary fellow was a disappointment to say the least. Well he was so ridiculed that finally he got mad. He was expelled from the forum. The Satan spell was broken and died an untimely death.

What's the point of this story? The story tells itself. A comment: The persona is a subset of whom one is. A persona is less than the real person. Contrary to this it can take on a role larger than life. That makes a persona a superset of whom one is. The persona takes on a role larger than life. Think of the Wizard that Dorothy and her friends discovered when they finally came upon the Wizard of Oz.

I will stop here because this is getting long. Let's see what happens and I will continue defining this thread at some future point.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 2:16 PM
-->
Re: Personas - Lyra Explained

lyra explained: attention seeking paint-by-numbers fucking bullshit. end of story.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:16 PM
-->

I have no problem communicating with extra dimensional superior alien intellect that takes up different personas and may be attention seeking fucking bullshit.

I may learn something interesting, so, where is this alien?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 12:16 AM
-->

Lyra hasn't posted for nigh on 10 months, this thread just serves the purpose of bashing him behind his back essentially. If you really have a desire to make amends or whatever then send him a PM and he'll hopefully get an e-mail notification.

As it is this is just contemptibly obsessive and serves no positive purpose.

Edit: also the fact that he has explicitly stated he wants you to stop harassing him just makes this all the more fucked up.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

In b4 Lyra "Marry-Sex-Kil..."

oh drat. :facepalm:

PS. What RB said.
PPS. Y'all didn't realize Satan wasn't just some poor out of luck bloke working in a shop in Florida? How odd.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

@baron of the reds. Interesting post. If I took a poll as to whether it was neutral, optimistic, pessimistic, what do you think we would get?
Lyra hasn't posted for nigh on 10 months, this thread just serves the purpose of bashing him behind his back essentially.
I haven't posted Part II yet and you already forecast bashing. No way. Not my aim.

If you really have a desire to make amends or whatever then send him a PM and he'll hopefully get an e-mail notification.
A PM is private. If I send a PM to anyone, even though it is positive and well intended, I can be called a "harasser" just for sending the message. This way I'm in the open and clear. Don't worry. You will get a chance to judge.

That's a possibility but I have not brought up the topic for many months. You mentioned "10 months." That is normally not the characteristic of obsession. Obsession finds it hard to resist.

Edit: also the fact that he has explicitly stated he wants you to stop harassing him just makes this all the more fucked up.
Good point. I will try my best to succeed in not harassing.
ha·rass (hə-răs′, hăr′əs)tr.v. ha·rassed, ha·rass·ing, ha·rass·es 1. To irritate or torment persistently.
2. To wear out; exhaust.
3. To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids.
Can I ask you something redbaron? Can you help this work out positively when I post Part II? If it turns out negatively I will back off. Fair enough?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

It's not whether or not you personally are neutral, it's the fact that Lyra is and has been absent for many months. The creation of this thread in itself and its premise serves the purpose of a tabloid magazine gossip column where everyone gets to have their $0.02 on every arbitrary facet of Lyra's existence. Ugh.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

Then I guess it will be up to those responsible to keep this a highfalutin academic work worthy of a Google Scholar on the way to a Pulitzer and not the tabloid rag sheets you mention.

I would have held up this thread and put out Part I and II at the same time, but give me a break pleeze.

Wait. Hold on. I will not beg. I just implore you be merciful and ... never mind.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

It's a clever ruse, but it won't work.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:16 AM
-->

Armchair psychoanalysis is just a high-brow form of ad-hom.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

You know, if she had a boil that wrote smashing song lyrics, it would be called a "Lyra's cyst."

hahaha! I just crack myself up.
uhhh....Sorry.

Y'all is probably the type who doesn't think Batman is Bruce Wayne, or Superman is just the mild mannered Clark Kent.:confused: Typical.

Anyone knows that Superman isn't really Clark Kent; Clark Kent is just a cover for Superman.

I wonder who Wonder Woman was? Margie Hausenflat?

NoooOoOooo, you promised you would keep my secret if I didn't go by MargieHausenwocky! :storks:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

And here ah thought ya promised to lay off the booze. Yer on a roll tonight, eh.:king-twitter:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Itsss hard t' lay on awl dese empty *hic* bottlzzz..eqqw

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I have a marketing idea given the popularity.

Would you buy lyra t-shirts, I would print some famous quotes on the back

All the profit would go to the charity that would reinstant lyra on this forum

seriously, all this jazz.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 7:16 AM
-->

I hope part two is interesting, will part three be the philosophic aspect?

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->

Lyra hasn't posted for nigh on 10 months, this thread just serves the purpose of bashing him behind his back essentially. If you really have a desire to make amends or whatever then send him a PM and he'll hopefully get an e-mail notification.

Agreed, one thousand times, agreed.

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->

Inventing a fake blog and then not marketing it would be a really fascinating way to tell a story.

People would stumble upon it and think they found the coolest thing ever.

I wonder if they would be legal issues, because a big disclaimer saying "this is fiction" would kindoff ruin it.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

I hope part two is interesting, will part three be the philosophic aspect?
A requirement of Part II is that it be non-judgmental therefore uninteresting.
Part III can be radioactive fallout.
I can't ask anyone to write Part IV.
No one is responsible for Part V.
Part VI will be an exercise in obsession.
Part VII will be devoted exclusively to self-harassment.
Part VIII will be an exorcism of Asbergers memorabilia.
Part IX - no promises will be made.
Part X will be a final final epitaph pending reincarnation.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

The final entry should be XIII simply stating that your fascination has been eroded completely and that you are over it.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->

^^^

Siberia'd.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:16 AM
-->
I talked to Lyra for a while, he told me about the Order of Nine Angels and told me his uncle introduced him to Satanism, I never really had a problem with him but Auburn seemed entranced and that I found a bit disturbing.

He certianly caused a stir but he was Beelzebub compared to Da Blob.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Part IIa. Patterns - Lyra Explained.

The theme of Part I was Personas. The theme of Part II is Patterns. This Part is a continuation of Lyra Explained. That the title of my thread has been abbreviated and the thread itself has been moved to Siberia I'm not all too surprised considering the personal history of the posters (myself included) in question, yet I'm greatly disappointed. I will assume the acting moderator is just taking precautions but I wish the thread had been given a greater chance instead of looking at an isolated negative post. (I haven't checked for other negatives.) I suppose it is the case that I am guilty until proven innocent ... not the topic of this thread. I wonder if I failed in Part I to declare my intentions were to avoid any aspects of abuse at all cost for what is seen in the eye of the beholder is strange indeed.

Anyway, the purpose and the title of this entire thread is "Lyra explained". (I consider that worthwhile as he has been quite controversial. Waiting two or three more years would be ill-timed.) Perhaps better would have been, "Explaining a Persona and Other Things" and then proceeding. I didn't think of that, but that wouldn't be the theme anyway. This thread has nothing to do with bashing any poster. Instead its purpose is to explain and respect the humaneness, intentions and persona of the poster in question. It is my hope that this thread will be returned to the Psychology and Neuroscience section where I believe it belongs and returned to its original title which was "Personas - Lyra Explained." I expect this won't be possible until and unless I prove myself.

About patterns. Patterns are not always easily comprehended. They must be viewed as a whole. It's possible their meaning can only be understood in some context and certainly not by picking them apart for analysis. That very act destroys the pattern. Think of the Mona Lisa ... a painting by Leonardo of which whole books have been written. Psychologists have written about her smile which is there but can be viewed only by looking in a certain way. This theme of unanalyzability has been stated by Lyra more than once. Is it any wonder then that he might object if his intended patterns are misunderstood and not even treated as patterns? Instead of making judgments, let's look at his very own words. <-- Pending.

At this point I have to stop if only because I have my own life too. I'm posting this as a stop-gap with the hope posters will not jump to the wrong conclusions as happened in Part I. Please do not post unless you have something really innocent to say. And if you are a moderator, please give this a chance. Appreciated.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This thread has nothing to do with bashing any poster. Instead its purpose is to explain and respect the humaneness, intentions and persona of the poster in question. It is my hope that this thread will be returned to the Psychology and Neuroscience section where I believe it belongs and returned to its original title which was "Personas - Lyra Explained." I expect this won't be possible until and unless I prove myself.

It won't be possible because it is downright creepy. If you want to try and tease out the various meanings of what Lyra created and left behind in private or with a few interested individuals (also in private) that's fine -- in fact, I encourage that. What I and the rest of the mods do not encourage is making a public spectacle of your deranged obsession, and we're growing tired of repeating ourselves.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Patterns Part IIb - Lyra Explained

Part IIb. Patterns - Lyra Explained.

@Absurdity.
Please read what I said about patterns above in the second last paragraph. Patterns deal with the whole picture and cannot be analyzed. I am not interested in picking out pieces of things which are negative. I am not interested in defending negative, unverified things about myself. I find myself distracted by what you have said about me. I'm at a loss at to how to deal with it as I believe you are more interested in making statements about my character than in discussion. If I'm wrong about this, please advice so we can find a proper way. I don't think this thread is the place. If I'm wrong about that, I will have to accept it and take a digression. Excuse this digression.
Lyra had and has something to offer. A good deal of it is surprising. I am interested at this time in seeing only the pattern positives.
As with all posts and posters, and even threads, looking at negatives is distancing and the purpose of this thread is to get closer to the topic.
Some history:

I first met Lyra when his persona was that of a nineteen year old girl. Though my memory is fading she seemed to be an English student of the arts and mythology. Her avatar was that of a strong woman goddess though I may not have that precisely correct. I actually found the avatar painting and perhaps can find it again, but I lost it now. Everything was fine. We got along well. At one point she picked me out to "dance with under the stars" or some such thing. I accepted her as the nineteen year old girl but realized we had little in common. I posted what she wanted to hear as that would draw her out. The thing that impressed me the most was here was a young lady schooled in mythology and who loved to take on that theme. Persons in mythology represent archetypes a la Jung. I was bound to learn something if she kept going. I took an interest in this after reading Homer as a kid. The person behind these archtypes was not one to be known or pinned down. I realized that and did not press her. She said she was leaving for European excursions or something to that effect. Here* is a list of "her" threads. I haven't taken the time to search out history or which ones represent the nineteen year old. I leave that up to you the reader. This is only a reference. Any reading is up to you.

I don't recall the intervening history. At some point Lyra returned as a Pod'Lair advocate. Someone (Auburn?) told me she was a he and gave me a Pod'Lair video of one of his presentations. In real life he turns out to be male with a British accent in his thirties. Fine. His video may have been removed now. Not sure. I have seen one or two of them.

Still later others pointed out he had registered with different personas.

This post is about patterns. I saw his interests were art, mythology, and sociology themes. To me, that represents Lyra and his interests ... the pattern of who the man is. You will see his mythology theme everywhere ... extended to modern day. We must not forget (we have forgotten) that a good deal of mythology is concerted with the gods: that these gods are an ideal reality. Lyra is presenting this and we as mere humans are deeply flawed and unaware. Lyra is trying to point this out to us. Think Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hades, Poseidon, etc. We as humans must recognize these gods and even that these very same gods fight among themselves. Lyra speaks in symbols are we might expect of a poet. We, as non-poets, must take care not to take the symbol as literal but instead look for the meaning behind the symbol.

I'm deliberately omitting the specific character behind the man. That would be like looking at Mark Twain the writer versus Samuel Clemens the person, or Babe Ruth the baseball player vs. Babe Ruth the person, or Barack Obama the President vs. Barack Obama the person.

We see Lyra the writer, poet and artist. Judgment of his character or the quality of his work is to be reserved. One thing that struck me is how different we were. I am analytical, too analytical while here is a person who speaks almost exclusively symbolically and refuses analysis. Try to think patterns.

The different personas and registrations were unknown to me but pointed out by others. But look. It is not necessary for me to try to explain Lyra's intentions. He does so himself. I will quote him realizing this is only part of his story. I apologize to him if this is being too selective or misleading.

Most of my messages imply further research for full understanding. If you'd actually read Spengler, or looked into DMT**, or looked into what I might be doing in relation to specific developmental paths I've discussed with you personally and privately, then you might get more out of the messages. Or you might not. For example, the first post in the thread you posted to saying you'd 'never understand' might have explained my involvement with Pod'Lair, or the reverse. The static reduces when you tune into the right frequency.

I'm not going to go justifying what or who I am-- that's a ridiculous thing to do or expect-- but one thing I do do is trace patterns which aren't often traced and which, if researched/experienced personally, can yield a lot of serendipitous and illuminating experiences. If you go into one pattern, then you might see I've traced another that seems perhaps to contradict it. If you found the experience of the first interesting, you might pursue that one, and then the relation and what it might mean. I pattern the patterns with patterns, with each pattern being individually developmental/transhumanistic and the connection being so as well.

In short my entire thing here is to construct a mysterium/living rabbit-hole for individuals curious and dedicated to transhumanism/'truth' enough to step beyond their immediate, reflexive reactions. Anybody who engages with me via those reactions will only see themselves reflected, in relation to a front which isn't me. Or a barren chaos of confused fronts. Somebody who researches will both get pathei-mathos and an expanse in their being from the individual patterns/roles they delve further into and, ultimately, from the relation between them.

A simple fact is that, whatever persona I adopt in that communication, anybody's who's followed through-- and a rare few have, so far-- knows that experimentally adopting even the few most basic and obvious patterns laced throughout the fluxing whole leads to a beautifully rare and powerful set of insights. Wonders completely unexpected and beyond all expectations. They can do with those what they will, develop them into whatever is relevant personally. Some of them are presented very obviously up-front, some come through the breaking of persona-patterns assumed to be relevant on the surface. Some are there in other ways. But my intention is to craft a gift and a test on all levels-- a path out of this world and themselves, out of this limited humanity and into new life, for those who want or would appreciate such a thing.

The presentation suits the message. Part of the message is something that might relate to months and years, identities, and cognitive-breaks. Part might relate to the way certain things are perceived on a surface level, socially. Whatever-- it's something for experimentation, not doctrine. It's not about doing what you're told. It's hints and directions for certain ears, with no cult or doctrine to encapsulate or contain them.

If you're not interested, fine. But that doesn't mean there's an error in the message. Doesn't mean there's one in you either. But it's a form of living and communicating that makes no error in being what it is, so let it be. Esp. if you think of yourself as a transhumanist interested in anything more than just brute physical life extension, or whatever. Higher-level games can operate at higher levels of complexity and effort. They might just seem like barren confusion to somebody not reading the patterns/signals in them. But they might be just as, or even far more, ordered than more obvious coherencies.

What you in practice push xxxx is a cognitive laziness that just assumes new phenomena must immediately fit into the patterns it recognises as sensical or worthwhile to be sensical or worthwhile. That's the antithesis of what I do or what I'd regard as transhumanism-- ...

Most people talk about transhumanism. I live my understanding of it.

... You just can't stop reacting to 'Lyra' as a cohesive identity, and you just can't stop reacting in a way I've informed you, many times, is inapplicable.
WYGPp89.jpg
In addition to this declaration of intention of Lyra's, there is an earlier Lyra persona I had no awareness of. Had I known I might have had a better reading of Lyra himself. The XIII***persona is banned as multiple registrations are not allowed, making it ironical his subject matter is about multiples. This**** is another I'm told, but not verified.

Picking out one thread Personality Change Experiment, it is useful to note "Lyra" intention to take on different personas. (Note the source of peronas is not the MBTI, but Tarot cards. This is consistent with Lyras interest and immersion in mythology.) Myself not having known about this wonder if each presentation was to be named or kept secret. Being secret would make an interesting test as it would mean interaction with board members. Don't know what happened, but it makes one wonder if such an intention can be held for long as the underlying person can get frustrated if the persona is called into question. This remains for research. What pattern do these personas represent, because there is one? I suppose that we are potentially either many people or we have to deal with many people. By interacting at bashing any one persona we clash with this theme. It's like hissing at the villian in a fictional play.

I must still point out that Lyra is more than multiple personas also an attempt at artistry in the process. Art as a process is not a simple thing as what painter wants to have his painting critiqued while in the very process unfinished? Just how successful Lyra was and is in his intentions remains for further research. I suppose I might have named this thread, "Lyra Explained Introduction" rather than "Lyra Explained."

*Lyra's Profile Find all threads started by Lyra If those links fail, click on this message to get there: Our Divine Destiny
**Undefined
***XIII's Profile Find all threads started by XIII If those links fail, click on this message to get there: Psychic Powers
****The Fountain of Life

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Are you mesmerized by Lyra?

I named one of my guitars after Lyra. ^^

It's the one with two necks that looks nice, but is a bitch to play for prolonged periods of time. Oh and it's slightly broken too.

SNUX1Gh.jpg

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
What do you think of my write-up so far? Some still have their doubts about me.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
If Lyra were here, he'd no doubt be moaning about this thread and the thought of that amuses me.

Lyra was an attention seeker that attempted to draw the forum in with outrageous delusions of grandeur. Ironically, his shenanigans attracted an unexpected kind of fascination. One which bastardised his purpose right down to the very core and this is why he hates you so. ^^

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Re: Insert groan here

It is not necessary for me to try to explain Lyra's intentions. He does so himself.

Are you saying your thread is unnecessary? Because it sure feels like it is. This whole 'analysis' is just treading old grounds. Nothing new or particularly revealing, you're just dragging out the past and making a thread about someone who vehemently asked you not to speak of him for... what? What's the point? Your own personal Lyra fixation, so everyone seems to think...

Or is this, in a roundabout way, an attempt to indirectly compare yourself to Lyra, and wrap yourself in the garments of performance art?

Deleted member 1424

Re: Insert groan here

Or is this, in a roundabout way, an attempt to indirectly compare yourself to Lyra, and wrap yourself in the garments of performance art?

Oh nothing so trifling.

It's clearly unrequited love.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 2:16 AM
-->
I have a confession to make.. I'm Lyra.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Yeah guys, I'm also Lyra. That's why I know so much about him.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm curious. Is keeping the truth silent mean one is lying? If so, isn't it one's duty to confess?

I confess I haven't written Part III.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

The final entry should be XIII simply stating that your fascination has been eroded completely and that you are over it.
Whether or not I am fascinated or not is not the issue.

Stating that (1) Lyra may have a modest creative value beyond controversy* and that (2) we, the forum members, may have misunderstood, been intimidated, insulted or even sadistic is the issue. If Lyra, the man returns, I'm betting he will approve. If he does not return, I am hoping to see his work rehabilitated starting with this thread.

*Controversy in both subject matter and person.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

Nothing escapes from Siberia.
You say I am "nothing"? How prescient. Where and how did you arrive at such a declaration? The mods can do anything they put their minds to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom