• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Personality Types and Speech Patterns

Procinogen

Devil's Advocate
Local time
Today 9:16 AM
-->
Hey, guys! I'm working on a project that would require me to know the answer to this question:
Do different personality types have different speech patterns? For example, would the dominant traits in a person (Ti, Fe, ect.) have some kind of influence on their speech patterns? Would certain traits cause people to talk more formally or more informally? I don't really know the answer to this, so your guys' input would help.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
Probably different types do have different speech patterns, but that might perfectly be caused by past experiences and another background factors, such as childhood or what kind of books does the person use to read.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 1:16 PM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
what i have noticed in chatrooms is that Ne is random and annoying as fuck
impossible to follow and even stupid. it looks fake, looks as if they were in purpose trying to be original or smth.
Ni is more going around a simple idea, maybe they do say a lot of bullcrap to weld the specifics but it's just easier to get.

can't say from real life, who cares, not in the mood to try to remember how people around me talk.

i guess Ti is more open for debates while Te is more definitive.
Ni is also definitive like obsessive and Ne is openminded and jumping around.
but it might be Fi or Fe so who the fuck knows man.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 8:16 AM
-->
Paraverbal is the thing you want to look at most.

My mother is an ENFJ. When she speaks she kinda ends everything she says with an aura of Possibility. INFJ's do this to a deeper degree, but they may not have as much charisma about it.

My brother is ISTJ. When he speaks everything is a completely final thought - no room for alternate interpretation.

My father is ESFJ. When he speaks pretty much everything he states begs a specific question on his mind for the listener. He is usually doing this without knowing the answer.

My type is ???. When I speak, I often speak in metaphors and analogies. I am trying to drive the point home very deeply. This is usually lost on most people so I don't know why I even bother.

baccheion

Local time
-->
There may/must be differences in writing patterns, as software exists that can (fairly accurately) type someone based on text they've produced.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
There may/must be differences in writing patterns, as software exists that can (fairly accurately) type someone based on text they've produced.

It's the Illuminati NWO typing machine :phear:

Maybe from the intps I've met in real life they tend to use a lot of metaphores and tearing everything to pieces until everything is perfectly clear (at least for them), until they go to deeper and deeper that for outsiders it's a overtechnical explanation. They also try to ask questions to make the other person deduce the idea.

Or they give up and reply with a cinic "never mind".

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 1:16 PM
-->
Different thinking creates different pattern in language....

It must be obvious at the most basic level. There is also different way of interpreting language. I have great communication problems with people including INTPs. But INTPs get me more often than not. Other types dont get me at all. But this could as well be my personal quirk.

I often say stuff and people would come to very different conclusions. Feeler types seem to be obsessed with personal dimensions of the language so if I say something they always tend to take it to a personal level and interpret everything with some agenda. Yet often times I just say things as observation devoid of anything personal. So I often manage to offend people despite there is nothing personal comming from me.

Communication is happening when both communicators have same or similar frame of mind. If the frame of mind is different then the words may be same, but the interpretation of the words will be different.

Also language is very complex and the way people communicate is largly dependend on understanding how other person thinks. ANd I have always struggled to match the frame of mind of other people. Which obviously leads to miscommunication.

Language works the way it works because there is a strong psychological element to it. That is there is mutual understanding of attitudes, self awareness, the fact we are somehow related and so on... these lead to different settings where language is used differently.

I literally cant speak my mind as they say, because if I do there is immediately a communication hazard and it leads to misunderstanding of such degree that people think that I hate them or that I have some sort of agenda or that I am trying to be funny or I am trying to center of attention and many other things. So I just dont say what is on my mind and I put a heavy filter on what I say.

This is just my personal experience. Sensors are especially hard to communicate with, because the way they process language is very very different. SOmetimes they take things personally and other times they would completely miss the point of what is being said and so on...

But apart from sensors and intuitives the big difference is mainly between introverts and extroverts. So the two main dimensions I would consider as most importnat in defining communication stile is EN and IN and IS and ES.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 12:16 AM
-->
Yes, the different cognitive functions are going to lead to different characteristics of the voice. One could at least in theory type someone by listening to their voice alone.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
-->
Yes, the different cognitive functions are going to lead to different characteristics of the voice. One could at least in theory type someone by listening to their voice alone.

You mean by the voice per se, or speech partterns?

I think the voice is more influenced by genetics than by personality type.

Top Bottom