• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Out of all the MBTIs why are INTx's the only dominate force online

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 8:44 AM
-->
From that, I mean, I've only really seen INTP/J active communities.

Furthermore, when giving other people different MBTI tests, no one really seems that interested in their type much after an initial conversation. I'll get, yeah that describes me, very accurate, ect... but then that's it.

After the discovery of my intpishness, I've been fascinated, read all the different write-ups of INTPs, read deeper into different types (much like unlocking a key to my inner-workings)...but the interest/pride/kindred I feel with this and places to share (more importantly places to read about other link minds [it's almost like seeing the future reading other INTP posts because you know you'll think that way, and they've already thought that way, so you get to experience their thinking about a situation you haven't been in yet, but can absorb their perspective.]).

Teohrn

Local time
Today 7:44 AM
-->
Most xxNx have active communities and participate in general MBTI communities, I think, and especially IxNXs. The only exception for that is the ENTJ, for some reason. Rather rare type on these sort of forums.

I'd say it's because it involves a theoretical framework which apparently describes them well and kind of gives them answers to all of their problems, especially socially related ones. And given the rarity of IxNx types, along with their difficulties with people and society, they try to find like-minded people. This results in [insert type] forums.

There is also a lot of ambiguity, which are probably errors too, with Jungian personality theory. This ensures that those who are interested never truly master it, which has a 'carrot on a stick' effect.

Eclectic_K

Local time
Yesterday 11:44 PM
-->
These forums are so heavily based on the MBTI system (although some members do not have a firm grasp of the system yet). SFs and STs either have no desire to understand the system or are incapable of gasping an iNtutive sense of the system. SFs are the most common type which creates a wonderful environment for NT alienation (as most of us on these forums have experienced in one way or another). In some ways SF forums are more common than any of the others, things like stupidvideos.com, pinterest, facebook, cosmopolitan and even some of the dark sides of youtube. All of these places being overwhelmingly populated by SFs but N types can pop in and out of causing chaos or striking chords of brilliance all the while the poor S types remain blissfully ignorant. In some ways I think the internet is a good example of how S types are drawn to N types ingenuity and expression. Most of the hipster movement in clothes, music and other things begins with an NF level of interest in the new and different (particularly Ne seeing all the possibilities). I'd be willing to guess the most popular youtube stars have or use intuition and websites like Cracked and Reddit were developed with an N sense.
what do you think?

Eclectic_K

Local time
-->
The INFP forums were popular but all of them tended to implode/explode. Too much individualism coupled with too much drama, I guess.... :phear:

How do you think INTPs approach individualism differently? Or do we just not care about drama are much?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:44 AM
-->
How do you think INTPs approach individualism differently? Or do we just not care about drama are much?

It's kind of different. I can't say INTPs don't have drama (check out INTPc, people love their drama there). And at times here things can get dramatic (such as with the Pod Lair debates).

It's just that the explosive energy is diverted away so that it doesn't really dissolve the community per se. I might think someone is stupid and get really pissed off at them, for example; but that's not going to make me want to trash the forum and/or leave forever, if there are other things going for me here. My ire is directed at the ideas and the stupidity, not necessarily at the person; and even if it is, I typically just manage my own behavior without placing demands on the community about it. INTPs tend to be very very stable.

What I see with INFPs is that they can be pretty calm until their principles get violated, then things can become very dramatic; the other person is not just wrong but "evil and corrupt" ("They shouldn't act that way / believe that, it's just morally bankrupt!"); and at that point one's own moral code insists that the evil and corruption be destroyed. Lots of explosions at that point, that are directed specifically at the "community" ties in order to remove the "evil" person(s) who are supporting such horrible ethics... "They leave or I leave," is often par for the course.

The other thing, as I've mentioned, is that INTPs are very very stable even when we're unhappy, typically...often by withdrawing to get better footing. Thus, even when things are stressful, the forum itself isnt' really in danger of going away or collapsing. The need to adhere to inner ethics, though, for INFP, can get coupled with some paranoia states. The famous INFPGlobalChatter or whatever it was (the largest INFP forum I knew of) exploded over a weekend, when someone thought the forum had been hacked, and the admins freaked and just jerked it all down, never to recover; I'm not sure the forum even had been hacked, it was awhile ago and my memory's a little shoddy there....

(Meanwhile, I think INTJs tend to be stable as well because they're ultra-confident; and INFJs are typically ultra-responsible. They're not going to let a forum collapse just based on their feelings.)

That's not the best articulated explanation, but it suggests the "gist" of things. I think the INFP forums were the most "volatile" of the INxx forums. The stark moral independence of Fi coupled with the imagination of Ne can lead to some freaky explosions and community dissolution when emotions and fears run rampant.

~~~

Local time
Today 6:44 AM
-->
The only exception for that is the ENTJ, for some reason. Rather rare type on these sort of forums.
ENTJs normally have things to do. We don't mind getting information from the net though.

Eclectic_K

Local time
-->
That's not the best articulated explanation, but it suggests the "gist" of things. I think the INFP forums were the most "volatile" of the INxx forums. The stark moral independence of Fi coupled with the imagination of Ne can lead to some freaky explosions and community dissolution when emotions and fears run rampant.

On the contrary, I find your posts particularly articulate. Although I'll admit one could probably fill a book completely explaining forum MBTI based forum interactions or even INFP forums specifically.

Personally, I find Fi amazing and terrifying. I am glad I am not burdened with having to deal with such a subjective and intricate internal system of society. Although that doesn't even quite explain Fi. Ti can create a similarly subjective and intricate societal system but it's not directly connected with personal feelings.

It would be interesting to do an analysis of the types based on the forums. By interesting I guess I mean that I've already been working on some theories.
Do you think that the organization of this forum is representative of how INTPs use of Ne to understand the outside world and Ti/Si to create an organized internal world (more or less). So while the INTJ forum has a remarkable level of consistency in the websites sizes, shapes, picture sizes, colors, etc. They've even bothered to lab sub categories within forum topics. Even comparing how the moderators and administrators of the forums deal with different things would provide such an interesting analysis although in some ways a little too self explanatory.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Personally, I find Fi amazing and terrifying. I am glad I am not burdened with having to deal with such a subjective and intricate internal system of society. Although that doesn't even quite explain Fi. Ti can create a similarly subjective and intricate societal system but it's not directly connected with personal feelings.

I find it difficult to describe Fi because I think it contains more variety than Ti, despite both being internal judging processes. Typically, the detachment of Ti means that INTPs are looking at the same kinds of external factors and using the standardized "Ti" evaluative process to draw conclusions... and so if they start with the same external world from which to draw conclusions, the conclusions typically end up similar as well.

Meanwhile, Fi is using a series of internal logics and valuations that are unique to the individual. So the same situation can often come up with very different viewpoints, whereas I think INTP group evaluations are more likely to be similar (or in the ballpark at least).

Do you think that the organization of this forum is representative of how INTPs use of Ne to understand the outside world and Ti/Si to create an organized internal world (more or less). So while the INTJ forum has a remarkable level of consistency in the websites sizes, shapes, picture sizes, colors, etc. They've even bothered to lab sub categories within forum topics. Even comparing how the moderators and administrators of the forums deal with different things would provide such an interesting analysis although in some ways a little too self explanatory.

Lol... INTJ forums drive me nuts. They seem so hung up on irrelevancies, evoking consistency as a hobgoblin IMO. I don't understand the hangup on details and making everything conform. INTP forums tend to have broader categories, not as much emphasis on how things look. All that really matters is the mental process. Format only becomes an issue if it noticeably obfuscates content and logic.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:44 AM
-->
NTs like the internets. Introverts are maybe more prone to wiling away time web surfing. Put those together, INTXs are a formidable force on forums. I mean, forums are stimulating, gently community based yet private: altogether NT. I feel like NTs can cut to the chase and sometimes be abrupt with folks online, thereby fulfilling their wishes for real life. :D

Fghw

Local time
-->
What joy would an ESFx find online?

Starswirl

Local time
Today 1:44 AM
-->
There are some ENTPs too, you know. There used to be an ENTP forum, but it imploded about a month ago. To be honest, I think that ENTPs make the best trolls, closely followed by us INTPs.

ENTJs seem to not find the internet particularly useful, so they aren't on. The internet is too dark a place for any F type. And STs do not appreciate the beauty of society on the internet.

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 8:44 AM
-->
No worries Jim, it seems the INTPs will always have a haven open and welcome to all. Solid as a rock, maybe that mirrors our personas. :borg:

InvisibleJim

Banned
Local time
Today 6:44 AM
-->
No worries Jim, it seems the INTPs will always have a haven open and welcome to all. Solid as a rock, maybe that mirrors our personas. :borg:

Some INTPs are fine, others are rather ugly sycophants. Just as some INTJs are draconian task masters and others only become stern when prodded. :cat:

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
There are some ENTPs too, you know. There used to be an ENTP forum, but it imploded about a month ago. To be honest, I think that ENTPs make the best trolls, closely followed by us INTPs.

ENTJs seem to not find the internet particularly useful, so they aren't on. The internet is too dark a place for any F type. And STs do not appreciate the beauty of society on the internet.

The INFJ forum is alive and well, actually. They come together to weep about their unmet expectations and the great pain they experience due to their sensitivity. Reading that forum makes me glad to be a Ti-dom: my emotions are shielded by a nigh-impenetrable wall of logic.

-Duxwing

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 2:44 PM
-->
The damned other types just some in and populate the forums the INTPs have built. Just like the real world, the INTPs build then the ENTJs come in to boss everybody around bringing their posse of acolytes, mucking up the place.

Oh wait, I forgot I'm not an INTP anymore. :storks:

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:44 AM
-->
Depends on how you want to look at it. Facebook is basically a forum for ESXX. Go on there, what do you see but extraverted sensors bleating out about the trivia of their life. They did a good job of finding the lowest common denominator and catering to it. Also on feeding on it. Google+ seems to be more of an EXTX culture. In independent type based forums INTX's definitely rule.

This should make sense - think how the internet reflects the popular world. The biggest social networking sites are filled with the extraverts, while the introverted intuitives find dark little corners for themselves.

viche

Local time
-->
Personality Cafe has very active INFJ and INFP subforums. They published some stats for that forum and the most common type on there were INFPs -- they made up something like 15-18% of total PerC population. They were followed by INFJs, INTJs, and INTPs, so INxx types in general are very acting on typology forums.

JASSY

Local time
-->
maybe because we're no nonesense type of people and care about our ownselves to care so much of other peoples problems

JASSY

Local time
-->

im curious , why troll ?

Top Bottom