• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Open Source Gaming

mrrhq

Dedicated Debian Dude
Local time
Yesterday 9:41 PM
-->
There's a game for everyone, even FOSS lovers.
Don't listen to the shitty trolling and people that say there's no games for Linux, because they are absolutely wrong. Linux is beginning to be a more viable gaming platform. Too many people focus on graphics, sound and such, rather than the gameplay or the experience of the game.

There's even good games fro the browser, such as MMORPGs and other online games or whatever.

I have been using Linux for a few years, I have been steadily moving away from games, but maybe I should go back to it, still. I know there's Steam for Linux, and there's even ways to make Game Maker games on with Enigma dev studio. There's games in LOVE2D and ones made with Allegro (although old) and Unity 3D. Endless possibilities.

So I want to make this thread to discuss free software and Linux gaming. I know that there may be FSF purists who don't want to talk about proprietary software, but the reality is that proprietary software exists, and is still available as options for people who want to make their one choices to play games on Linux.

You can buy a Humble Indie Bundle or support Steam for Linux or Canonical's game library by purchasing games (only if you want!) Theres also many FOSS games that you can just play or compile and run, hassle free (most of the time).

I hope another thread doesn't already exist.

Oh I should share some of my favorite games:
- Battle of Wesnoth (Best TB RPG game for Linux, pretty much. Has networking and is highly customizable. Professional quality software)
- 0 A.D (A great 3D RTS game. Extremely high potential to be something professional in the future.)
- Tetris (Millions of Tetris clones, but most don't follow the official rules. I still play them, but I would prefer Tetris: TGM with Mame.)
- Solitaire/Majhongg/Go (Because why not)

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 6:41 AM
-->
Dwarf fortress.
-Complex(Most complex game, to the best of my knowledge)
-Systems within systems
-Gives ability to create complex in-game contraptions
-Linux compatible
-Open source(At least the raws, though the game is free)
-Mods!
-Still in development(Actually a perk here)
-FUN!!!

mrrhq

Dedicated Debian Dude
Local time
-->
Dwarf Fortress is not open source, but it is cross platform, and I still like that a lot.
I have never been imaginative enough to get into DF and I feel bad that I never grew up with these kind of games. Being a 80's child would have helped me get into the genre of roguelikes and city builders more. I like city builders... when they're graphical. I remember a game called Pharaoh and Cleopatra, which is basically a re-skinned Caesar III game, but at the time it was the best examples of how clean and profound city building games could get. It was hard enough to challenge you, easy enough to dive into and understand most of the workings. I loved it.

DF is a more complex game than what I mentioned, but as complex as something like Second Life, or Runescape? Probably not. I really need to check out that game before I state something I regret.

So it's hard for me to play text based games, unless they're board games. Gnuchess and gnugo are textual. They run in the terminal. So does this game called Empire - War game of the Century that basically no one knows about, or games that use TUI, which are rare. I'm thinking ASCII Portal, for example.

I'm also answering any questions about free software alternatives for proprietary software games, or just Windows games in general, for anyone browsing this thread. Sometimes alternatives don't even exist yet.

One good alternative to Minecraft is Minetest. Minetest can be faster since it runs in C++ and not a Java VM. Oh, yes, and at no cost, unlike Minecrap. And it even already has multiplayer and extensions support. It's really coming along at an impressive rate and I recommend people to check it out if you're on Linux! Another one with very beautiful graphics, but very much in beta, is called Terasology.

I don't know any alternatives for Terraria except playing it with Steam for Linux.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
Today 6:41 AM
-->
Heard of warzone 2100? Open source, quite a cool game, has a decently active dev team.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Does Unreal Engine 4 count? Not all of the games themselves may be released as open source but the UE4 engine is.

Top Bottom