• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

On why we work and the nature of reality

sushi

Local time
Today, 23:59
my hypothesis is that reality is fundamentally made of space and information.

when i use energy, energy and work -->space and information.

One can say the very purpose of human work is creating information and space.

For instance, when I write and type stuff, I convert my energy and thought into space and information. When i move stuff to build something, I convert my energy into space and information.

Another example is a closed empty room with only one desk and 3 chairs with me inside . I work and move around the 3 chairs and 1 desk into various different position and patterns inside the room, creating new space and information.

At the end of every day, I always have more information than yesterday, but less usable energy. Energy thus become new space and information.

Agree or disagree.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:29
By the standard you use to narrow everything down into either space or information, how is space not information?

sushi

Local time
By the standard you use to narrow everything down into either space or information, how is space not information?

I don't want to say space is same as information, because information is a content of space .

Otherwise I don't know what the ultimate purpose of human work and action (other than make money), unless anyone have different perspectives.

work is done to manipulate space and infromation to create a certain content.

sushi

Local time
My current hypothesis is that all work and motion----->information.

that is why is it inevitable that you are smarter at the end of the day than beginning.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today, 17:59
I was going to comment on something here but I am not quite sure what I have to add.

I am not sure whether I agree or not because I feel like it doesn't make any God damn sense, but let me attempt to make sense of this.

From what I know, work is the dissipation of energy. You can think about this as Watts. When energy is given off, this produces heat. Heat, in this case, is Watts. So when you overclock your processor, and as a consequence of this, the temperature of the processor goes up, what you are observing is that more work is being done by your processor.

This doesn't answer why the universe is expanding and cooling down, however. I tried to come up with an equation to represent your theory, but it's either too complicated for me to understand in algebraic terms OR it is not logically consistent with itself OR there is not enough information to formulate an Equation and I am leaning the latter.

Terms used:

Associated terms:
{work
energy
action
motion
thought}

{space
information
content}

I do not know where to go from here.

sushi

Local time
I was going to comment on something here but I am not quite sure what I have to add.

I am not sure whether I agree or not because I feel like it doesn't make any God damn sense, but let me attempt to make sense of this.

From what I know, work is the dissipation of energy. You can think about this as Watts. When energy is given off, this produces heat. Heat, in this case, is Watts. So when you overclock your processor, and as a consequence of this, the temperature of the processor goes up, what you are observing is that more work is being done by your processor.

err, I don't know how to say this.

I am not talking about the universe. I am talking about human activity and nature of work.
If you do not understand what I am saying, I will try to rephrase it as a question?

why do humans work , produce and create, other than for survival and satisfy our needs?what is the purpose of work? is work a meaningless activity?

but then on the ultimate nature of reality, i still believe it is space and information.

Artsu Tharaz

Resident Resident
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:59
Because, Hado, you gotta have space to put all that information.

sushi

Local time
create , move , destroy (physical) information, that seems to be the case. otherwise on the activities seems to be meaningless.

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
To me this looks like just swapping the meaning of words.

I think reality is made of cheese.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Today, 15:59
What you are talking about reminds me of the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

"The earth on which you live, you, yourself, and every other material thing are the result of evolutionary change, through which microscopic bits of matter have been organized and arranged in an orderly fashion." — Think and Grow Rich

"An intangible impulse of thought can be ‘transmuted’ into its physical counterpart." — Think and Grow Rich

The meaning of the word ‘transmute’ is, in simple language, ‘the changing or transferring of one element, or form of energy, into another’.

"In physics and chemistry, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant; it is said to be conserved over time. This law means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another." — Wikipedia

Essentially, what you are talking about is part of an evolutionary process of rearranging information, converting one form of energy to another. You are taking intangiable thought, through desired actions, manifesting tangible results. This is analogous to a potter and clay.

"This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." — Jeremiah 18

In Egyptian terms of the manifestation of pyramids and artifacts to please the gods.

We are just moving information around, changing from one form to another. Manifesting through evolutionary change, bringing to light new forms as products of time and history.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:59
The space contains the information but I don't see how one creates new space or information. I see a change to the space and information. In a room with 3 chairs and a desk you can rearrange the contents how you like but the space and information is the same, just in a reorganized state but there is nothing new which has been created.

This is currently a losing scenario as it costs energy.

If one rearranges the chairs into a new pattern and somebody pays them to do it then there is now some perceived value in doing so.

People work to live usually by profiting in what they do.

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:59
Hmm there seems to be a misconception here about what space and time are. In Kantian terms space-time is what we merely superimpose from our sensory perceptions. "Time" and "Space" doesn't exist in reality, but rather qualitative measures we impose upon reality.

I think the crux of the problems here is that somehow the mental transfers into the physical, i.e. that the substance of the mental and the substance of the physical are actually of one thing. It tries to bridge the Cartesian divide Descartes suggested and underlined. Spinoza thought this, that all things were of one substance, (i.e. that they are from God aka thus making him a pantheist) with infinite attributes, such as the physical, the mental or the spiritual and so on. Material monists such as Marxists or the logical positivists believe that only materials exist so their line of thinking would be more in the camp that 'information is energy', that the mental is in turn the physical.

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
Not to be a dick but can we get a definition or a description of "information" in the sense you're using it here?

Also what do you make of entropy ?

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Not to be a dick but can we get a definition or a description of "information" in the sense you're using it here?

Also what do you make of entropy ?
I can give my definition of information in context of the Universe. The following are my opinions...

All is information. The placement, trajectory, size, form, and every relative measure. Every possible manifestation, and every space between.

Entropy is a result of stasis in an isolated system. It's like a room full of dominoes standing erect in perfect uniform order. A small outside force is the catalyst to a chain reaction.

The effects of entropy are reduced by introducing small bits of energy into a system over time.

In terms of information, stasis is when all information in an isolated system are an agreement.

There is no truely perfectly uniform isolated system, only relatively uniform in context to the perspective of the observed system.

Systems of information ebb-and-flow, from isolation moving towards stasis, and influenced by outside information that creates flux in response, resulting in a ripple effect that normalizes to stabilize the mixtures of information.

Information generation is low as systems approach stasis, and high in systems in flux. It's all relative, given near duplicate copies of information is a result. Change is a constant expansion of information bringing new forms of the same, similar but never equal, accumulating down ancestral chains of records.

Flux is limited by the anchors of what we call laws, which hold things in order. Maths, physics, and reality persist. Psychology, pseudoscience, and energy are guided but not bound by persistent rules. E.g. Left and right, concrete and abstract, solid and liquid.

moody

Local time
@sushi : That makes sense to me! Sounds like a workable definition. My knee-jerk reaction is to challenge what "space" is, though. Information as we define it is already clear as human organization of our experiences (cerebral cortext just likes to give everything lables), so that's us. Space is everything that isn't. That's why it makes sense to me! Us + everything else = reality! (As we define it).

sushi

Local time
To all: I half dont know what I am talking about, so I need to do some more manual labor to find out the meaning of work other than following orders from some idiot.

but so far, i can reduce it to create move and destroy information.

Information: all the stuff that exist in reality and its organization shape, , form. like matter.

Traditional information is just language, words and data , numbers like 010010m but i think everything tanglible is made of information.

If you find my definiiton questionable, can you say what the meaning of work and producing is other than making a wage.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today, 17:59
To all: I half dont know what I am talking about, so I need to do some more manual labor to find out the meaning of work other than following orders from some idiot.

but so far, i can reduce it to create move and destroy information.

Information: all the stuff that exist in reality and its organization shape, , form. like matter.

Traditional information is just language, words and data , numbers like 010010m but i think everything tanglible is made of information.

If you find my definiiton questionable, can you say what the meaning of work and producing is other than making a wage.
I'm working on a similar problem atm. What I have found is that work is for the self-autonomous individual and that laziness is for the pathological thinker.

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
when we work, we reconfigure matter in a way which serves some purpose. Just the reconfiguration itself has no purpose. One can configure matter in a very intricate and complicated way but which nevertheless is useless (e.g. work produced by bureaucrats). So I would disagree that the purpose of human activity is to generate information. That's just an intermediary step towards an actual purpose.

sushi

Local time
my hypothesis is information is a state of matter, such as creation and destruction and moving.

when you change a matter's state or position, you change its information code or structure.

I am trying to imagine what kind of human work will be replaced by Artiificial intelligence and how they will copy our work and economic activites.

Top Bottom