• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Odd familiarities

Muteki

Existence reflects upon itself
Local time
Yesterday 6:08 PM
-->
For this I'm somewhat interested to hear about certain objects or styles you may be inexplicably attracted to, things you feel a natural affinity for even despite little to no prior exposure. Maybe it's something you collect, or a certain aesthetic/symbolism you've found is strangely personally relevant/relatable.
If we cross-reference enough maybe we'll even learn something, who knows.

One thing for myself is music boxes, puzzle boxes, or otherwise small ornate objects that could contain some kind of mystery or relatively special commodity. While I think the supposed secret mystery aspect is already fairly seductive for curious minds like myself anyway (plus the obvious symbolisms), there's something about the unique designs of such boxes themselves I think is extremely intuitively familiar.
It feels as if there are vague memories I should be remembering, something that subconsciously stirs in the back of my mind whenever I'm just observing/messing with this kind of object. There is the urge to collect or maintain with them, though logically of course I don't have a clear reason to actually do so. On another note I've woken up alone before to the music box in my room playing by itself in the middle of the night, and if that isn't strange then idk what is (tried recreating it myself with no success).

So there's my example, let's hear what you have.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
Yesterday 7:08 PM
-->

I collect images from the internet. The reason I pick some and not others is because of the high rate of familiarity. If it feels meaningful I collect it, sort it, organize it. I have deja vu in reverse. Events I think happed weeks ago just happen now in the present moment. I wrote something on the forum and in that moment I was like: did I not write this 3 days ago? So when I collect images it's like I saw it before when I did not and I put it in a folder. It feels like I collected it twice when it was only once. And familiar images is more than finding them twice. There is something behind them. A hidden meaning I seem to know. Familiarity is the ins and out of something. Witches have familiars. The bible says watch out for familiar spirits that watch you and know your secrets. It is a rather intimate knowledge of something. Of course, I am most familiar with myself but I can just get something being specific with no experience. I understand one puzzle but not another. One person but not another. It's rather random so specifics are not available to my memory. Let's just say I know how to ask the right questions.

AntaresVII

Lord of Minhiriath
Local time
-->
Beyond the reaches of time, wandering among dreams
I collect images from the internet.
*Glances at the 39 images on my desktop*

"Nah, I don't think it's quite that big a thing for me."

*those are just the ones I haven't sorted into the ~920 others in my drive*

I also do this with electronic music (music in general but that's what I mostly listen to and look for), and for both cases I seem to focus more on the finding and enjoying new things than re-appreciating the old, except to organize, or rather adjust the system by which I organize, the collection,
There is the urge to collect or maintain with them, though logically of course I don't have a clear reason to actually do so.
which seems to somewhat undermine the justification for collecting them.

Muteki

Existence reflects upon itself
Local time
-->
Animekittie's images is just the thing I think is interesting, I wonder if these type of occurrences are more common across minds like ours, whether they occur as a strong subconscious influence or otherwise. While Antares yours just seems terribly normal? Nothing particularly bizarre going on with your music collecting.

While it's easy to logically undermine this subconscious influence of mine it is persistent, as if vaguely guiding me on to find something. Even if it's without direct reason it remains, and there are more cases where's I've caught myself drawn to specific things in this way, hence my curiosity.

AntaresVII

Lord of Minhiriath
Local time
-->
Beyond the reaches of time, wandering among dreams
On the subject of collecting images from the internet, I happen to be pulling in a new stock, and thinking about it, I think part of the attracting influence is finding a bit of yourself floating out there, something that you recognize as being similar to your own soul in some way.
For me it's almost like I'm trying to piece together by all these little reflections an image of myself as a whole, with all the odd nooks and crannies, the seeming contradictions, and in short the essence and weird and vast complexities of the world within that comprises me.

Top Bottom