• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

objectivity, INTPs and numbers

Olba

Local time
Today 3:04 AM
-->
Hey All,This is my first post...

I'd like to comment on few things here:

-first of all,i don't think that intp are objective enough to be objective about themselves,you see the idea of saying that intp is more objective than the other 15 combinations would imply that there's maybe someone-something- who has a "quantity" of objectiveness more than the intp have,and in this case he'll see intp as not objective especially when we add the emotional element which by itself inherent in everyone of us and also can't be objective,hence though other combination may think that they can judge themselves objectively,the objective thing from the intp is to know that he's not objective enough to judge himself... objectively.....

To be objective means to be only rational. Also, to be objective towards oneself means to be self-critical. What this amounts to is rational evaluation of oneself and the actions one takes. Which, in practice, is analyzing. And INTPs are the masters of analyzation.

And objectivity cannot be measured in "quantity" or any other measure. After all, to be objective means not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion. If you look at the quoted definitions of "objective", you see things like "unbiased" "based on facts" and "not influenced by feelings". None of these can be measured in quantity or quality. After all, unbiased is exactly what it is, facts are always facts and as long as it's not influenced by any feelings, it means nothing. If it is influenced by feelings, it's not objective. So there is no way to measure the "quantity" of objective without going against its own definition.

-on the other hand, we can consider the pragmatic side of the question, the subjective side,on this case it could be interpreted as "are you happy with being intp?" or more precisely "how happy are you with being intp?"...-affirming the "happy" is a truly subjective variable,that everyone has a personal formulation for it-,in this case my answer will be as most of you has said...that it has it's ups and downs,although to clear the pragmaticality, i'd like to include the time as an additional parameter and average the total sum of this ups and downs by the time,at this case the answer would be no for me,i'm not happy for being intp on average....
Usually I would be a very mathematical person, but in this case, I have to say that you are as wrong as wrong can be. Measuring the quantity of good times and bad times and averaging it to the years means nothing. Why so? You're ignoring the whole quality-axis. A vastly good thing can outweight the bad sides of a bad thing. I, for one, have gone through this in my personal life.

Thus, averaging them only basd on quantity is foolish. If anything, you should measure the quality, average it to the quantity and then average the quantity to your life. However, that means nothing as there is nothing to use for comparison. There is no "average life". Not unless you measure the goodness and badness of things on a set scale. For example, between -1 and 1, where 0 is average, -1 is worst and +1 is the best possible. However, evaluating experiences with numbers can be tough and requires absolute objectivity.

-finally there's actually an approximate 60 mil. of intps,as long as there's 6 * 10^9 living people in this planet and .01 of them are intps...
The actual number of INTPs in the whole world doesn't mean anything to anyone. For example, I would bet that the INTP concentration here is upwards of 30%.

And if you wish to go into big numbers, with 60 million (6*10^7) people, there would still be 5 940 000 000 ( 5.94*10^9) non-INTP people.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazem

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:04 AM
-->
Re: Do you like being an INTP?

hi,i think you got me wrong...

To be objective means to be only rational. Also, to be objective towards oneself means to be self-critical. What this amounts to is rational evaluation of oneself and the actions one takes. Which, in practice, is analyzing. And INTPs are the masters of analyzation.

And objectivity cannot be measured in "quantity" or any other measure. After all, to be objective means not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion. If you look at the quoted definitions of "objective", you see things like "unbiased" "based on facts" and "not influenced by feelings". None of these can be measured in quantity or quality. After all, unbiased is exactly what it is, facts are always facts and as long as it's not influenced by any feelings, it means nothing. If it is influenced by feelings, it's not objective. So there is no way to measure the "quantity" of objective without going against its own definition.

- i don't disagree with definition of objectivity,neither that in practice resembles in analyzing,but considering that this analysis got affected by non-logical factors-like emotions- that weighs down the objectivity of the conclusion of the analysis,with this perspective we can "quantify" the objectivity,ok more accurately the efficiency of objectivity which usually flawed by the non logical input,so we can say he's X% objective...

INTPs are the masters of analyzation.
that's what i originally disagreed,the first post of this thread mentioned that intp maybe more objective than the others,i just pointed to:
that intp are human with emotional side like anyone which can affect -easily,maybe not as easily as the others- their judgment,especially for themselves...to put it in another way,to be certain that you're the objective is not objective at all...

Usually I would be a very mathematical person, but in this case, I have to say that you are as wrong as wrong can be. Measuring the quantity of good times and bad times and averaging it to the years means nothing. Why so? You're ignoring the whole quality-axis. A vastly good thing can outweight the bad sides of a bad thing. I, for one, have gone through this in my personal life.

Thus, averaging them only basd on quantity is foolish. If anything, you should measure the quality, average it to the quantity and then average the quantity to your life. However, that means nothing as there is nothing to use for comparison. There is no "average life". Not unless you measure the goodness and badness of things on a set scale. For example, between -1 and 1, where 0 is average, -1 is worst and +1 is the best possible. However, evaluating experiences with numbers can be tough and requires absolute objectivity.

-i didn't mention the quality nor the quantity in my words,i said rather that "happiness" is totally subjective with everyone decide what it is for him,my argument is simple as this:
-if we consider a human as an agent with a goal of being happy,and if he accomplish this in a very small portion over his lifetime,then the best thing be said about him is that he succeeded in that small portion.
although as we're speaking on subjective grounds, i can't roll out that a human can consider himself generally happy depending on that small portion,you define what's happiness to you,what is "average life"...it's all based on subjective interpretation...
also it doesn't have to be 0 average,you can threshold wherever you like..
can be tough and requires absolute objectivity.
"absolute objectivity"...it's funny you say that...

The actual number of INTPs in the whole world doesn't mean anything to anyone. For example, I would bet that the INTP concentration here is upwards of 30%.

And if you wish to go into big numbers, with 60 million (6*10^7) people, there would still be 5 940 000 000 ( 5.94*10^9) non-INTP people.

No one said it means anything, it's just someone said there's 6 mil. intps in this world,and i'm just correcting that...besides 5.94*10^9 is not a big number at all...

thanx alot for your input...

Olba

Local time
-->

You're free to think that I did, but saying so is not only your business, but mine as well.

- i don't disagree with definition of objectivity,neither that in practice resembles in analyzing,but considering that this analysis got affected by non-logical factors-like emotions- that weighs down the objectivity of the conclusion of the analysis,with this perspective we can "quantify" the objectivity,ok more accurately the efficiency of objectivity which usually flawed by the non logical input,so we can say he's X% objective...
If your "objectivity" is influenced by emotion, by the very own definition of "objective", you are no more objective. So your way of measuring it is flawed. Simple as that.

that's what i originally disagreed,the first post of this thread mentioned that intp maybe more objective than the others,i just pointed to:
that intp are human with emotional side like anyone which can affect -easily,maybe not as easily as the others- their judgment,especially for themselves...to put it in another way,to be certain that you're the objective is not objective at all...
So basically you're saying that pure rationality is an impossibility? Sir, that is pretty darn wrong. With no emotion, only the objective is left. And objectivity is possible.

It seems that you're stuck here. Firstly you say that saying "I'm objective" is not objective in itself. But there is no need for it to be objective. It can be objective, though, but there is no requirement for it to be so. Then you mix together the emotions to it and turn it into a huge mess.

Granted, it is more likely that people overexaggerate on how good they are. But that's exactly where objectivity comes in. INTPs are capable of thinking about themselves in a rational manner, without exaggeration or subjectivity. Just as everyone else is. All you have to do is ditch your pride. As long as you're willing to look yourself as something pretty simple, someone pretty average, you're going a step closer to objectivity. Simple as that.

-i didn't mention the quality nor the quantity in my words,i said rather that "happiness" is totally subjective with everyone decide what it is for him,my argument is simple as this:
-if we consider a human as an agent with a goal of being happy,and if he accomplish this in a very small portion over his lifetime,then the best thing be said about him is that he succeeded in that small portion.
although as we're speaking on subjective grounds, i can't roll out that a human can consider himself generally happy depending on that small portion,you define what's happiness to you,what is "average life"...it's all based on subjective interpretation...
The only reason I put it to between -1 and 1 was because it's easier to turn it to and from percentages that way. Also, since we set it to -1 and 1, it should roughly be equal to the Gaussian distribution, just as IQ and test scores are.

"absolute objectivity"...it's funny you say that...
Well, yes, it is. After all, there is nothing more than absolute objectivity. If it's not absolute, it's not objective. Simple as that.

No one said it means anything, it's just someone said there's 6 mil. intps in this world,and i'm just correcting that...besides 5.94*10^9 is not a big number at all...
5.94*10^9 might not be a big number by itself, but in comparison to 6*10^7 it's pretty big.

lazem

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Usually this phrase is an implicit conclusion to the post, with a premise of the whole statements in the post, as in because all the post,you got me wrong.​
Actually this phrase is made explicit in alot of live talks,as it gives the talkers amount of time to think about what they're going to say, among other things.​
The reason i made it explicit because of the very circumstances of the last post,i was still browsing the forum when I saw your post, so i wrote it to give the impression of live talks.​

If your "objectivity" is influenced by emotion, by the very own definition of "objective", you are no more objective. So your way of measuring it is flawed. Simple as that.

No it's not the objectivity that's influenced, it's the analysis that is affected, which affects how objective you're ,you see again you bind objectivity with absolution. either you get rid of emotion or you're not objective, what if I took away my emotion partially, wouldn't that make me more objective than someone whose reason is totally emotional? Consider for example someone in a situation where a wild animal hurt –let get this to an extreme- killed her loved partner, she could react by torturing the animal, killing it , hurting it ,leaving it with hatred, or just leaving it, or maybe taking it as a pet !! that'd be new whatever ,you see you can't equalize the reaction of torturing the animal with leaving it with hatred, maybe hating just an animal wouldn't be the absolute objective thing in the situation but it's more objective than other reasoning.​

So basically you're saying that pure rationality is an impossibility? Sir, that is pretty darn wrong. With no emotion, only the objective is left. And objectivity is possible.

No , objectivity is possible, absolute objectivity –in my opinion- is not possible, in the broader scope, even if you're certain about your logic, that doesn't exclude the possibility of getting affected by non logical inputs, actually broader than that no one knows what reality is, no one knows if logic is actually that logical.​
In the narrower scope, the event of assessing our emotion, it's even clearer ,intp are human, all humans have emotional side. saying that intp don't include emotion in his reasoning is a clear contradiction. hence intp maybe objective more than many others, but not the objective.​
Besides. it's not just pride, check the wikipedia emotion page. I was expecting ten more, but I found out that they’re much more.

The only reason I put it to between -1 and 1 was because it's easier to turn it to and from percentages that way. Also, since we set it to -1 and 1, it should roughly be equal to the Gaussian distribution, just as IQ and test scores are.
+

;)

=

also it doesn't have to be 0 average,you can threshold wherever you like..;)

it was a joke, i forget mr blue

that's it for now
take care

Olba

Local time
-->

Usually this phrase is an implicit conclusion to the post, with a premise of the whole statements in the post, as in because all the post,you got me wrong.
Actually this phrase is made explicit in alot of live talks,as it gives the talkers amount of time to think about what they're going to say, among other things.​
The reason i made it explicit because of the very circumstances of the last post,i was still browsing the forum when I saw your post, so i wrote it to give the impression of live talks.​

The problem here is, this is not a live talk. So don't try to make it into one either, you're just wasting your time.

No it's not the objectivity that's influenced, it's the analysis that is affected, which affects how objective you're ,you see again you bind objectivity with absolution.

Again, you're not seeing what I see. If the analysis is not objective, then the conclusion cannot be objective either, right? Thus, the objectivity of the statement itself is questionable.

either you get rid of emotion or you're not objective, what if I took away my emotion partially, wouldn't that make me more objective than someone whose reason is totally emotional?

Now, let me make it clear to you. The dictionaries define "objective" as "not influenced by emotions". In your case, it would be "slightly influenced by emotions". Now, if you take the exact opposite of "not influenced by emotions", you get "influenced by emotions, right? Add something that describes the "quantity", which by the way doesn't exist, you get "slightly influenced by emotions". And since we only added something to describe the exact opposite of "objective", your "slightly influenced by emotions" is equal to saying "slightly inobjective". Do you now see what I mean?

Consider for example someone in a situation where a wild animal hurt –let get this to an extreme- killed her loved partner, she could react by torturing the animal, killing it , hurting it ,leaving it with hatred, or just leaving it, or maybe taking it as a pet !! that'd be new whatever ,you see you can't equalize the reaction of torturing the animal with leaving it with hatred, maybe hating just an animal wouldn't be the absolute objective thing in the situation but it's more objective than other reasoning.

Firstly, I would advice you not to try to prove something via example. It's an inappropriate generalisation, and thus works against your credibility, as you did not take notice of the fallacy.

Secondly, your example in itself is strange. Animals are not directly bound by any law, so I cannot demand anything from the animal. I, however, am bound by law, so I would need to carefully think about what to do in the situation. However, unless the animal had an actual reason for their action, it would count as an accidental death.

And in my case, I couldn't possibly hate the animal. After all, death is the eventual, nonavoidable conclusion of life. Every day has a possibility of taking another life. Whether it's one close to me or not doesn't make it any less of a common occurence. Plus, I like most animals.

No , objectivity is possible, absolute objectivity –in my opinion- is not possible,

The problem is, I'm not arguing whether it's possible or not. I'm saying that there is no other than "absolute" objectivity, which I claim based on several sources that state that objectivity is something that is not influenced by emotion. So basically, you're arguing against facts. Just admit your defeat already and we can move on.

in the broader scope, even if you're certain about your logic, that doesn't exclude the possibility of getting affected by non logical inputs, actually broader than that no one knows what reality is, no one knows if logic is actually that logical.

Logic, in itself, by its own definition, is logical. However, the direct opposite of "logic", "illogic", is obviously not logical and is usually simply said to be "illogical".

And a conclusion can be made to be perfectly logical by careful elimination of each and every illogical factor.

In the narrower scope, the event of assessing our emotion, it's even clearer ,intp are human, all humans have emotional side. saying that intp don't include emotion in his reasoning is a clear contradiction. hence intp maybe objective more than many others, but not the objective.

You're wrong. There are certain psychological conditions where one's emotions are either flawed or simply inexistent completely or in certain fields of interaction. For example, people with Asperger's Syndrome are incapable of considering other people's emotions. And in this case, I'm not proving anything via example. Anything else than the potential existence of malfunctioning of emotions. After all, you cannot say that people with Asperger's don't exist, can you? Thus, you cannot say that there aren't any people whose emotions wouldn't be limited.

And I think you should provide me with the source of this "INTPs are objective" claim. Or actually, your original argument was "INTPs are not capable of objective self-judgment". Provide the source that claims so.

lazem

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Hi,

Again, you're not seeing what I see. If the analysis is not objective, then the conclusion cannot be objective either, right? Thus, the objectivity of the statement itself is questionable.

No,You're not seeing what I see.The problem is that you're dealing with absolutes,binding objectivity to only true value,either 0 or 1,my point :no it's not just one absolute value,it can vary from 0 objectivity to 1 objectivity in between there can be a rational objectivity.

And what you're saying is true,only from an absolute perspective,which if applied on the real world example will be naive simplicity,as you consider only two variables not a possible of too many-maybe infinite- possibilities,creating a false dilemma.

Now, let me make it clear to you. The dictionaries define "objective" as "not influenced by emotions". In your case, it would be "slightly influenced by emotions". Now, if you take the exact opposite of "not influenced by emotions", you get "influenced by emotions, right? Add something that describes the "quantity", which by the way doesn't exist, you get "slightly influenced by emotions". And since we only added something to describe the exact opposite of "objective", your "slightly influenced by emotions" is equal to saying "slightly inobjective". Do you now see what I mean?
again
influenced - not influenced
objective - inobjective
dealing with absolutes...

Firstly, I would advice you not to try to prove something via example. It's an inappropriate generalisation, and thus works against your credibility, as you did not take notice of the fallacy.

Secondly, your example in itself is strange. Animals are not directly bound by any law, so I cannot demand anything from the animal. I, however, am bound by law, so I would need to carefully think about what to do in the situation. However, unless the animal had an actual reason for their action, it would count as an accidental death.

And in my case, I couldn't possibly hate the animal. After all, death is the eventual, nonavoidable conclusion of life. Every day has a possibility of taking another life. Whether it's one close to me or not doesn't make it any less of a common occurence. Plus, I like most animals.
it's not a fallacy to prove via example.it doesn't have to be inappropriate generalization.though it can misleading if you ignore all the sample that the example live on.

the fallacy here is from you, you missed my point.all i was trying to do is to give you multiple options,multiple possibilities to indicate the notion of not making absolutes.instead you missed my point.I'm not saying that i demand anything from the animal.no,i said what's your reaction towards the animal,and then i gave you some examples to indicate that people differ in their objectivity,and your case is not the absolute case,it's an option among many other ones that people can do.

The problem is, I'm not arguing whether it's possible or not. I'm saying that there is no other than "absolute" objectivity, which I claim based on several sources that state that objectivity is something that is not influenced by emotion. So basically, you're arguing against facts. Just admit your defeat already and we can move on.
again absolute perspective..don't have more on this,that would be repeating my words again.it's funny that till now the two threads i participated are involving the exact same idea...i should participate more...
and why defeating !! i thought we enjoy debating with the hope of clarifying the mistakes of both us... why a "battle" perspective :)?

You're wrong. There are certain psychological conditions where one's emotions are either flawed or simply inexistent completely or in certain fields of interaction.

hence my point,"either flawed" is a word with a great amount of fillers.

people with Asperger's Syndrome are incapable of considering other people's emotions. And in this case, I'm not proving anything via example. Anything else than the potential existence of malfunctioning of emotions. After all, you cannot say that people with Asperger's don't exist, can you? Thus, you cannot say that there aren't any people whose emotions wouldn't be limited.

"incapable of considering other people's emotions" isn't equal "don't have emotion",though the mal-functionality is actually what i want you to consider,the possible interpretation of malfunction is -again- is not absolute.we can vary in our emotional response and how this affect our reason.besides i don't roll out the possibility of the extreme "not having emotion at all" that would be 0 feeling.that's a possibility that might happen.in that view your definition is part of my definition.

And I think you should provide me with the source of this "INTPs are objective" claim. Or actually, your original argument was "INTPs are not capable of objective self-judgment". Provide the source that claims so.

what do you mean by source...all the last posts we're arguing about that...what do you want me to provide...i'm not memorizing things and putting them.

[/left]

The problem here is, this is not a live talk. So don't try to make it into one either, you're just wasting your time.
i didn't say it's a live talk,i said it looked like one partially because of the nearly same time the talk happened,even here you have either live talk or dead talk :), ignoring the possibility that online talks -under circumstances- can resemble some aspects of live talks :)...

thanx for your time..
take care

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Yesterday 7:04 PM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear

gah.

I can't take it.

Run on sentences, no proper grammar, terrible comma usage, no caps, overused ellipsis, poor spelling, attempts at puns in already ambiguous language, broken sentence structures, poor spacing, and Olba arguing...

And worst of all, I'm mildly interested, so I want to read it in spite of myself.

*walk away, just walk away...*

.L

Olba

Local time
-->

and Olba arguing...

Hey, since when did I do something that you should hate me for?

And worst of all, I'm mildly interested, so I want to read it in spite of myself.
Don't be interested, it's not that interesting.

*walk away, just walk away...*

.L
Somehow I want to quote Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion right now. You see, he has a habit of repeating "mustn't run away" or "nigecha dame da" while he's scared, panicky or in doubt. And he also does this weird thing where he like, tries to squeeze his hand into a fist or something. Weird dude.

And quite frankly, I'm too tired to search another bunch of dictionary definitions to smack this guy around the ears with.

But here's a few, for starters:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=54691&dict=CALD
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/objective
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/objective
http://www.online-dictionary.biz/english/vocabulary/reference/objectivity.asp
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/objective
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/objective
http://nhd.heinle.com/Definition.aspx?word=objective
http://dictionary.die.net/objective
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/objective?view=uk
http://lookwayup.com/lwu.exe/lwu/d?s=f&w=objective

There. 10 dictionary entries that all claim that "objective" or "objectivity" is uninfluenced by emotions.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Yesterday 7:04 PM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear

By no means hate you. Just, find your arguing harmful to my eyes and ears.

I didn't real mean offense. More like a playful poke in your direction.

(10.... nice....)

.L

lazem

Redshirt
Local time
-->

the fact that you're still searching for a definition mean that you still didn't get my point,as from the beginning i told you i don't disagree with the definition,read my post again...

Top Bottom