• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

ob make win32 bullet hell

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 7:44 PM
-->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80kOGTbhJ0

Brought to you by Digipen Institute of Technology Singapore.

Binary Jetspirals is one of the several freshman student game projects coded from scratch in the Spring semester of 2011. This project was completed by a team of two who were also undergoing a punishing computer science course (Roughly 8~13 hours a day, assignments on weekends).

One of the specifications for freshman game projects at Digipen is that they have to be programmed in the win32 console, hence the boxy, pixelated graphics. However, much can still be done in the way of sprites and particle systems.

It was quite fun programming a 2D game in the console.

Copyright (C) 2011 DigiPen Institute of Technology.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 3:44 AM
-->
The spiral and flower of life parts were pretty cool.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
Aahh the wonders of applied Linear Algebra.

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
Today 5:44 AM
-->
That was really cool Oblivious. At first I thought it was mostly a retro-ish Raiden Project clone, but the bullet movement for both the enemies and the player was really a lot more creative than anything in that game. I'm impressed.

I was wondering why you'd made it so retro when you could have used pretty much any free game engine to achieve the same thing, and probably faster, but I guess those were the requirements for the school project? Either way, you should post more of this stuff if you have it. :D

What's it like going to Digipen? Do they have decent employment rates in the game industry or in other computer related jobs outside of games?

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
That was really cool Oblivious. At first I thought it was mostly a retro-ish Raiden Project clone, but the bullet movement for both the enemies and the player was really a lot more creative than anything in that game. I'm impressed.

I was wondering why you'd made it so retro when you could have used pretty much any free game engine to achieve the same thing, and probably faster, but I guess those were the requirements for the school project? Either way, you should post more of this stuff if you have it. :D

What's it like going to Digipen? Do they have decent employment rates in the game industry or in other computer related jobs outside of games?

Sorry for not replying for so long, I only just noticed that someone asked a question. :kilroy:

Yeah in our second semester at Digipen, we are required to program what they term a 'text based' game using the win32 console from scratch. We're working to become professional developers, so we were not allowed to use any 3rd party engine.

We decided that no one would want to play a game reading text in the console, so we programmed our own basic graphics algorithms to produce a 2D game. It was interesting to watch that same black screen go from 'Hello World' to bullet hell. Though the win32 console was not meant for displaying graphics and is actually pretty slow (it starts lagging at about 400 sprites, but in OpenGL I get up to 4000 while retaining 60 fps).

As for the bullet movement and enemies, what you see in the game we made was really quite basic by today's standards in bullet hell shmup games.

YouTube - ‪Touhou 12 - UFO Lunatic - Perfect Stage 6 Run (ReimuA)‬&rlm;

I personally am not very good at playing these games, but I love making them because of the really cool geometry and math involved in creating the bullet patterns. Also really because I am a huge fan of the Touhou Project series of bullet hell games. Intending to study music and art some time in the future so I can program my own indie games. :)

Right now I am working on an OpenGL based bullet hell game. So I will be able to use actual 2D graphics, but most of the underlying engine will be the same.

About studying at Digipen, its a really tough course. I am studying real time simulation with interactivity. It's a heavily math and computer science based course with quite a punishing curriculum. 9am ~ 10am to 10pm ~ 11pm, five days a week. If you're not working on your game, you're doing an assignment or studying for a test. It's summer right now, so I got some breathing space.

Every semester, we have to make a game. People have this misconception that making games is about playing around, but games are actually one of the hardest kinds of software to develop because they use so many concepts from other sciences like linear algebra, differential and integral calculus, graphics, and artificial intelligence, to name a few.

The stuff you learn will serve you well in any company that requires you to use C/C++, which is many of them, or any simulation job. You will be best placed for a job at a game company, but mostly because of your strong foundation in in math and computer science.

The games we make every semester typically involve concepts far beyond what we learn in the courses we take at the same time. Or maybe that's just unique to my year, I'm am not certain. I know one of the projects that semester utilised networking. Networking. For a first year win32 console game. Yes.

It's hard, it's fun it's rewarding. Just gotta give up your social life. I had none, so it's all pluses. :D

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->

Sorry for not replying for so long, I only just noticed that someone asked a question. :kilroy:

Yeah in our second semester at Digipen, we are required to program what they term a 'text based' game using the win32 console from scratch. We're working to become professional developers, so we were not allowed to use any 3rd party engine.

We decided that no one would want to play a game reading text in the console, so we programmed our own basic graphics algorithms to produce a 2D game. It was interesting to watch that same black screen go from 'Hello World' to bullet hell. Though the win32 console was not meant for displaying graphics and is actually pretty slow (it starts lagging at about 400 sprites, but in OpenGL I get up to 4000 while retaining 60 fps).

As for the bullet movement and enemies, what you see in the game we made was really quite basic by today's standards in bullet hell shmup games.

YouTube - ‪Touhou 12 - UFO Lunatic - Perfect Stage 6 Run (ReimuA)‬&rlm;

I personally am not very good at playing these games, but I love making them because of the really cool geometry and math involved in creating the bullet patterns. Also really because I am a huge fan of the Touhou Project series of bullet hell games. Intending to study music and art some time in the future so I can program my own indie games. :)

Right now I am working on an OpenGL based bullet hell game. So I will be able to use actual 2D graphics, but most of the underlying engine will be the same.

About studying at Digipen, its a really tough course. I am studying real time simulation with interactivity. It's a heavily math and computer science based course with quite a punishing curriculum. 9am ~ 10am to 10pm ~ 11pm, five days a week. If you're not working on your game, you're doing an assignment or studying for a test. It's summer right now, so I got some breathing space.

Every semester, we have to make a game. People have this misconception that making games is about playing around, but games are actually one of the hardest kinds of software to develop because they use so many concepts from other sciences like linear algebra, differential and integral calculus, graphics, and artificial intelligence, to name a few.

The stuff you learn will serve you well in any company that requires you to use C/C++, which is many of them, or any simulation job. You will be best placed for a job at a game company, but mostly because of your strong foundation in in math and computer science.

The games we make every semester typically involve concepts far beyond what we learn in the courses we take at the same time. Or maybe that's just unique to my year, I'm am not certain. I know one of the projects that semester utilised networking. Networking. For a first year win32 console game. Yes.

It's hard, it's fun it's rewarding. Just gotta give up your social life. I had none, so it's all pluses. :D

Top Bottom