• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Novelistic Tendancies

farlda

Local time
Today 7:56 AM
-->
I've spent a lot of my life planning various stories that never come to be, or that die out after writing up half of it. I was just wondering what everyone else's perspectives on the subject were.

For the first time I've managed to commit to one of my ideas for a novel, putting together an entire plan (usually I never work out an ending) and writing up passages. I'm hoping to fight the P nature (I was about to write P-ness, but thought better of it xD) and finish this project, since I've managed to dedicate over a year to its production.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Today 2:56 AM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
I didn't even register P-ness down until I wrote it out.

Nice.

--

Anyways, I can't even settle my P nature down enough to get through the plans. Kudos to you. What's the plot, if it won't give too much away?

.L

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
Today 3:56 AM
-->
Then write about something unorginal! Take your favorite story and write an adaptation of that same story.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 8:56 PM
-->
Does it have to be a novel?

Why not master the short story? Or micro-fiction?

Too much trash is printed out there, most novels aren't worth the waste of paper. Not to say that you couldn't produce something exceptional, but there are creative options that by-pass the challenges of producing a novel.

That said, joining a creative writing group that meets regularly is a great way of focusing on your writing and gaining the support to sustain you through the project.

farlda

Local time
-->
What's the plot, if it won't give too much away?

The short answer: Confusing - it's fantasy

The long answer: The 'sequel' bit (that comes first) is set around, on and under a group of islands dubbed 'Sciss Isles' after the feline gods that rule them, the main focus being a gang of sorts with incredible powers. There's also a large bit with vampires, a cult and me having little in-jokes like one character is an 'inverted emo' and chapters mirroring song lyrics.
Apparently it's hard to follow, since there's about 9 'main' characters, some of whom get killed off, and I think 6 of them have name changes... I know I'll have at least one person read it, though, so that's enough motivation to carry on =D
----

You don't really need to start original to be original, I find. Three of my main characters are (now very loosely) based on those in a book I read a long while ago. I just daydreamed about what might happen to them after the ending and got a bit too carried away xD

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I have so many plots in my head I can't normally settle on one. However, there is one that emotionally strikes me above the rest. I really really can't plan stuff out though. Every time I've planned stuff out I've lost interest...

I have to think about it, write out a few versions (like the first chapter) before I've figured most of it out...

It's very hard for me to control my Perceiving aspect. I get distracted so easily.... There are times I'll leave a post like three times before I finish it and post it. When I'm really thinking I need to be pacing or something. @_@;;

I have written short stories! Partly for the sake of my creative writing class, but I've finished short stories on my own before...

If I know what's going to happen and I have a vague idea of what I'm going to have happen I get bored... So I have to throw in twists and whatnot to keep myself amused. I'm afraid if people read it and I'm getting bored with it so will they.

Last edited:

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Bung a short story on a blog. Its easy enough. ut be able to waffle it out to novel length. Province of Skylarks (INFJ) and Dragons (INFP). Airy fairy according to the artisans.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 8:56 AM
-->
I oftenly have many plots in my head, which could be made into a story, but when i thought them out, i don't feel the need to write them down anymore^
And also i don't think i would be good at dialogues :-P

Ogion

bumblebree

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I always seen to come up with good plots that I never remember.
Same goes for a lot of things.
I should get into impromptu novel writing, I'd be a lot stronger in that area.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
I've always conjured intricate stories and such in my mind. I used to think that was more an INFP thing but now I think it's merely an INxP thing. Anyways, the problem is when I go to write things down, I try to do something totally different than what's in my head. I can't explain it but it's like I don't trust my ideas to be good enough so they stay buried in my mind. I feel like it's such a waste but maybe I can work past this through more effort, more courage, more freewriting, whatever. But yeah, it's cool but annoying not to be able to really write it because otherwise I have been told I'm a good writer.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I've always conjured intricate stories and such in my mind. I used to think that was more an INFP thing but now I think it's merely an INxP thing. Anyways, the problem is when I go to write things down, I try to do something totally different than what's in my head. I can't explain it but it's like I don't trust my ideas to be good enough so they stay buried in my mind. I feel like it's such a waste but maybe I can work past this through more effort, more courage, more freewriting, whatever. But yeah, it's cool but annoying not to be able to really write it because otherwise I have been told I'm a good writer.

^I find this describes me quite well. I always come up with hundreds of ideas for a book to write, then when i start writing i feel like i can't get to those ideas for some reason. I just keep writing but somehow unable to get to my point, and often times give up. I've started writing novels many times, i have one complete one (although it could still use more work) and i'm off and on working on one now thats maybe 150 pages in.

i think more then anything i just love coming up with the ideas. i like having the story be this nebulus idea in my mind but i can't come up with a way to get it down. I think i'm just sort of too hard on myself though, i'm kind of a perfectionist.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Really, folks, just sit down at the keyboard and don't get up until you've written 2,000 words. Then get up and go away. Tomorrow do it again. Fifty days of that -- less than two months -- and you've got enough for a book. Now edit it and go back through and add sub plots and imagery or whatever you think would make it better.

Just sit down and do it. You can plan it and talk about it and think about it, but until there are fingers flying across a keyboard, it's not actually getting done.... and when there are fingers flying across a keyboard, it turns out to be not all that difficult to keep it going so long as you regard that 2,000 word quota as your reason for existence.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Short stories I used to write too long ago to count. I never got around to padding them out into a novel or selling them (selling is a weak point of mine). I now consider them to be Skylark INFJ material.

PS: 2,000 words a day for four days a week is about all I can manage.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
Yes, I was going to make a point to write 1,000 words a day. I need to pick that habit up again, but really, 1,000 words is a lot, I realize. I wish I wasn't so consistent about not being consistent. Bad habits are hard to break. I just need to re-remind myself to do it and keep it in mind that it's highly beneficial. Once 1,000 words works well, I think 2,000 should be like cake and ice cream.

Local time
-->
Eh... I have a million and one novels planned out, from apocalyptic sci-fi to pre-Grimms inspired horror fantasy to quirky character-centric general fiction... And I even have bits and pieces of each written out. Once I get into it, as long as it maintains my interest, I can hack away for hours... But that doesn't happen that often.

It's weird, because I used to write so much more often, and so much more consistently. When I was eight or nine, and had less to do and lower stress levels.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
There is a great book that helps me called The Weekend Novelist. It helps the less than organised like myself and has helpful ideas for developing your characters. Most importantly you can adapt the structure and timing of the "lessons" to suit you. The greatest value of the book is the exercises I've learned and how they ready my mind to get some writing done on most occasions.

Top Bottom