• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Notre Dame cathedral is on fire

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 6:21 PM
-->
Just getting off work I'm going to see, it's 10 minutes away

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:21 PM
-->
This sucks. I saw it on my news feed an hour ago and it was somewhat of a gut punch. 2019's a bastard.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 2:21 AM
-->
On an unrelated note I've been getting suggestions to go to Norte Dame Uni.. hmm <_<

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
well the main structure has been saved and several multi-millionaires have already pledged to contribute to the restoration so nightmare over I guess. It was pretty traumatizing though. Thank god no one was hurt.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Yah I was not very far away when I heard so went to see, arrived just after the spire fell, there was a big crowd gathered and everyone standing horrified at the sight. The fire brigade were very impressive however.

There was a service when the fire broke out, must have been one hell of a shock for believers !

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 10:21 AM
-->
Do they know who started it?

Book burnings are nothing new. Was the revolution a lie? As far as I can tell some men just want to watch the world burn, which apparently means, they’re angry and got a bad roll of the die upon birth.

They see no fulfillment in the future state of the world, such as no utopia being plausible. They don’t want to see you win.

When that happens, everyone losing seems the best option for them.

Think, Library of Alexandria, or anything similar. And then, now, people want a change. And why? It’s obvious.

Some people had their mind overtaken by a reductionistic model of reality, so that’s all they know. I’ve been in school my whole life studying science, and from my experience good grades have gotten me nowhere, so there might be some other reasons for that.

So what else? Probably, expect to see changes to the Bible in this lifetime spelling out a different story. Excuse my language, but for the people here who can’t, they just can’t, compete with my mental prowess, when I mentioned “Joseph” (“the King of Dreams”) as an archetype, I, perhaps obviously, didn’t mean it literally (since I clearly live in Egypt, for one, and my name is really Yosef, seriously). He was sold by his brothers then became advisor to the Pharoah in the future.

History repeats itself.

To spell it out even more, I’ve yet to advise any royalty, nor was it ever my aim. Yet, I’m unsure if I have any friends (no Watson figure, Arsene Lupin is lame), from my experience, it’s the David archetype who gets all the fun anyway. I’m not holding out for anything like that. My Joseph reference goes as far as the phrase “he recognized his brothers but they did not recognize him”, as out of context as your mind lets wander.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
It's not thought to have been a voluntary act for the moment. Police are investigating. Running hypothesis is that the some construction tools might have set it off or something. It was being restored. The workmen had apparently left by the time it was on fire though ? They're being questioned.

Obviously the conspiracy theories are starting. One of the (retired) head architects for its maintenance has gone on television saying that old oak could not be set fire to easily and that when he was there security norms were extremely tight... Sounds similar to people claiming the plane couldn't melt the steel or whatever at 9/11 (the comparison stops there of course, the scale of horror/tragedy is not nearly the same)... Guess he's suggesting that you would need quite an insistent source of flame to make the massive oakbeams catch alight and start blazing. Seems to me that after 800 years the wood would be dry and flammable as hell.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 2:21 AM
-->
Is there a sense of solidarity because of the fire? I find these events interesting because they act as a catalyst for a nation to come together. And from the news lately France seems like they needed that sort of thing.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Is there a sense of solidarity because of the fire? I find these events interesting because they act as a catalyst for a nation to come together. And from the news lately France seems like they needed that sort of thing.

At first yeah, It's kind of starting to have the opposite effect lol. Basically as you may know, the crisis has turned a lot around ethics of redistribution and how the extremely rich are not being taxed enough etc. The fact that the biggest fortunes in France immediately pledged to give what has now reached about a billion is kind of stoking the fire (pun intended). Furthermore there is to be a tax exoneration on these donations which many are taking issue with.

Top Bottom