• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

New here, I think I might be an INTP?

User dead

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:34 AM
-->
Greetings.
I need some help figuring out my MBTI type. I know those tests too well, as such I may need some unbiased, non stereotypical help. I am quite certain of being a 5w4, enneagram wise. I lean towards INTJ when doing tests, but I somehow think I might be an INTP. In socionics I'm ILI.

I shall skip the period of birth etc. Alienation sums it up.
Currently, I'm at a crossroad in life. Career wise. Im still a student, but I made a whole lot of mistakes along the way.. but who doesn't?

When I was younger, I used to read up a lot on taboo material. generally speaking, I don't see how the type of information would make a difference. Its more about why I was reading up on it. I wanted to know more, to stand out, intellectually, mentally. I was emotional, but only to a certain extent. Socially, slightly retarded. Now, the reason I used to read up was to find myself in a way, my interests, my future possibility. I was confused by the multiple possibilities, the endless loops and ultimately, the meaninglessness of it all. I wanted to do something meaningful and i saw information as a way to solve it. I wanted to take in all that information, and compress it, into one. In that sense, I wanted the information to back me up in life. To ultimately, give me the answer. The answer to my purpose. without any objective clean data backing me up, the future was endless and slightly overwhelming. I wanted to make the logical choice, to pick the logical option.

My family is religious so they believe in destiny etc. I resent that thinking pattern. If I allow myself to believe that, whether its true or not, I wouldn't really be doing anything with my life. I lose all freedom and individuality. I believe strongly in "working towards the future I have in mind", not just working for the sake of being a part of society. As a kid I remember saying I wanted to go to space to do research and to stay away from all the drama down here on earth.

I looked to animation, saw it as something rather interesting, and spent most of my school time mastering that skill. I was artistically, skilful, but at 15 I realised that animation wouldn't get me anywhere in life, generally speaking. Those who told me so, their logic was sound. I moved on, aimlessly, emotionally conflicted and intellectually, externally useless. My grades dropped. I never valued scoring much, what was more important to me was the why. The why factor behind the results were more important. I then took up engineering as it was the most logical option there and also one of the few my marks qualified for. Lets just say it hasn't been going well.
I now decided to pick computer science. It the most logical choice, something I enjoy and at the same time.. theres a sort of anonymously, ghostly beautiful power based role.

Along the way I decided to learn the guitar. I mastered it, but only because there was something I wanted to do with it. I can't seem to do anything or learn anything, just for the fun of it. I had plans, well thought out plans, for a hobby. Still working on it, sorta. What interested me most, was the process. If the process is reliable, I would be able to do what i wanted with it.

I grew more apathetic and cold and eventually became nihilistic.
I decided to pick up philosophy. I was, lets say unhealthy?
I used to impulsively buy as many books as I could just so I could read them. I read them because I saw them as useful for my growth, for my mental development. I was also looking for answers there. I was very cautious on who I read and limited myself to nietzsche mainly. I did read up on a whole lot more, but the whole "observational perspective with observational proof" concept won me over. In a way you could say I was trying to build up a framework for my emotions. to have them back me up so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting messy and getting in the way. I'm still in that process. I moved on to hard science novels and have an interest in quantum physics. I have a reason for everything I do, while trying to find a way to compress it all so I can transcend myself. It isn't working out yet.

Any help?

Do let me know what else I need to type for you to help me.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 2:34 PM
-->
Why did you pick that user name?

User dead

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Why did you pick that user name?
uh, the concept of the user's death being reflected on its surroundings seemed slightly intriguing to me..?

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 11:34 AM
-->
applymagicsauce says you are though.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
it told me i was an enfj, based on my writing..

Ugh. Nevermind. You'll be someone else when you respond to this anyways. I don't think there is an accurate way to represent a personality.

But I guess you fit the mold I am a third year socially retarded computer science student who played a guitar and did some 3D modeling a long time ago too. But I am all 'round retard. I fuck shit up left and right.

Can't say if anyone is truly INTP. Like holy fucking shit this guy is that fucking embodiment he always wants to be alone coding some amazing ass idea that's gonna blow up the scientific journals while he works a 9 to 5 in McDonalds or Subway.

I think we shift around mostly. You'd wake up an INFP one day and an ISTP another. Maybe an ESFP for a hour.

So the gist is don't fret. Work hard and shit.

User dead

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Ugh. Nevermind. You'll be someone else when you respond to this anyways. I don't think there is an accurate way to represent a personality.

But I guess you fit the mold I am a third year socially retarded computer science student who played a guitar and did some 3D modeling a long time ago too. But I am all 'round retard. I fuck shit up left and right.

Can't say if anyone is truly INTP. Like holy fucking shit this guy is that fucking embodiment he always wants to be alone coding some amazing ass idea that's gonna blow up the scientific journals while he works a 9 to 5 in McDonalds or Subway.

I think we shift around mostly. You'd wake up an INFP one day and an ISTP another. Maybe an ESFP for a hour.

So the gist is don't fret. Work hard and shit.

Well, did some random reading. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_changes

No matter how warped up you allow yourself to become, there will still be a consistency, in multiple areas of your self.
Personally, i dont find myself to be that fluid, personality wise. Im pretty sure if jung or whosoever hadnt found consistencies in the people around them, these theoretical systems wouldnt have existed. They were found based on consistencies, generally. Accuracy depends on the user. Anyway, I've been typed INTJ by most tests and I'm just considering the possibility of being an INTP, before I strike it out. As such I am going to rely on public opinion to look for consistencies in my type. I guess some things require external feedback. Thanks for responding, but the question in this thread is still unanswered.

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Type is INTP, enneagram 5, probably 5w4 though that's the least certain, but what I find interesting is this:
User dead said:
I have a reason for everything I do, while trying to find a way to compress it all so I can transcend myself. It isn't working out yet.
In relation to this:
Thus, for their own security and self-esteem, Fives need to have at least one area in which they have a degree of expertise that will allow them to feel capable and connected with the world. Fives think, “I am going to find something that I can do really well, and then I will be able to meet the challenges of life. But I can’t have other things distracting me or getting in the way.” They therefore develop an intense focus on whatever they can master and feel secure about.
In that you seem to be doing counterproductive or nonapplicable things simply because they're within your existing comfort zone of competence, or appear to be. No amount of physics or philosophy will help you develop emotionally, for example. (Albeit they'll show you how to act via plenty of other verbs inserted in place of "develop" but none of those verbs will be "develop.")

So maybe you should expand, intentionally exploring new areas that you're unfamiliar with or expect to dislike, and re-grounding your decision process in reality based on actual experience as opposed to what is "most logical" right now based on the experience you currently have.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Function use changes, type does not.

For example, an ENFJ focusing on their tertiary may appear ESTP.

An INFJ focusing on their auxiliary may appear ESFJ.

And so on.

--

For example, due to the types I tend to appear as, it's clear that I am one of the following:

ISTJ, INFJ, ENTP, ISTP, ESFJ, INFP, ESFP, ENTJ

I'm probably not able to really pull off ENTJ and ESFP though, so from that the conclusion would be either ENTP or ESFJ, however my Ti is probably quite feminine, in my opinion, so I would conclude ESFJ.

You could do the same if you have a similar pattern of possible typings.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
Well, did some random reading. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_changes

No matter how warped up you allow yourself to become, there will still be a consistency, in multiple areas of your self.
Personally, i dont find myself to be that fluid, personality wise. Im pretty sure if jung or whosoever hadnt found consistencies in the people around them, these theoretical systems wouldnt have existed. They were found based on consistencies, generally. Accuracy depends on the user. Anyway, I've been typed INTJ by most tests and I'm just considering the possibility of being an INTP, before I strike it out. As such I am going to rely on public opinion to look for consistencies in my type. I guess some things require external feedback. Thanks for responding, but the question in this thread is still unanswered.

INTJ is introverted intuition and extroverted thinking. I wonder how would you flip so far as to have extroverted intuition and introverted thinking. That's either fluidity or you still need more information to make your "diagnosis".

I think if you are dabbling between these two then it's kinda easy. Just focus and see whether you use introverted thinking or extroverted thinking more. If you are able to organize, be street smart, and plan then you should be an INTJ. J is a big deal.
I am super perceiving so my entire time in school was "difficulty in organizing". Every single teacher every single year.

I found typing myself between INTP and ISTP was difficult.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Jung wrote caricatures - archetypal descriptions - and formed his profiles based on neurotic patients. He did not deny the fluidity of personality.

Since then, there has been fairly little consensus on the nature of personality.

I will mention that alienation can make an extrovert seem as an introvert.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
I can see that. But what does alienation do to an introvert?

probably ter more than aux and suffer like anyone would

I'm an extrovert though, so I can't say from experience. Can I?

User dead

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hmm, how do I differentiate Ni Te from Ti Ne?

Most of the information out there seems rather contradictory and open ended. Ne is roughly know but Ni is known for what it's not, so then what exactly is it? Does anyone have a better understanding of these functions?

Turnevies

Local time
Today 6:34 AM
-->
I'm not an expert, but I thought

Ni Te = look for possible consistencies in your stack of knowledge, turn them into an idea and test if it works in practice

Ti Ne = Constantly sift away inconsistencies in your stack of knowledge, come up with cool intuitive ideas, check if they are consistant with all your previous knowledge, if yes, no more physical testing required.

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Hmm, how do I differentiate Ni Te from Ti Ne?

Most of the information out there seems rather contradictory and open ended. Ne is roughly know but Ni is known for what it's not, so then what exactly is it? Does anyone have a better understanding of these functions?
OP's phrasing/explanation is not what I use, but you might find this thread/OP useful simply because of that: http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=24837

Now, in my phrasing/method which may not make sense to anyone else at all, I look at what NiTe/TiNe produce and how it got there instead of what it is via compare & contrast. The former is a suite of paranoid/schizoid features, the latter, schizotypal features. On the surface these look similar until you look at how they got there, and then you can test the accuracy of your differentiation by seeing how someone reacts to certain specific things. OP contained all the necessary information and more.

To me (NiFe), Ni is known by knowing by Ni. :D If I were to explain effectively via comparison, it would be with you and an INTJ in physical space in real time, picking your respective brains in front of each other.

Top Bottom