• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Names

DrSketchpad

Local time
Today 4:20 AM
-->
This might sound a little far-fetched even for INTPs ,but I was thinking;
Does your name have a significant impact on who you are, as in how you think, what you act like?
My reasoning is, you are named at birth, and are referred to as it for the rest of your life, I thought that would have some effect.
Tell me what the rest of you think on the matter.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 4:20 PM
-->
People do react to different names in different ways, for example what if I told you I was a girl named Crystal or a guy named Running-Bear?

Lol "Running Bear", say it aloud :D
Ahhhh that's funny.

There's also associative bias, E.g. I've never met an Angelica or Sebastian I liked.

catatonic

Banned
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
-->
Well I have a very religious name.
Meh, I hate my name because I'm not religious at all. :slashnew:

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 9:20 PM
-->
Yes I think so because when I think of a person and their name, I find most of the time that they couldn't have another name. This could be just association but it seems to go beyond that. There's a rightness to the name they have. Another thing is that often people are particular about the form of the name. For example, I know a David who has always refused to be called Dave. Likewise my name has several forms and there's only one that works.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
-->
I think so.

I mean my name means 'lotus' and even though it's just a name I have tried to associate to it and try to get a spiritual or deeper meaning out of it even though there is actually no relation between a person and his/her name.

As well as general likability seems to be effected by ones name. Ones name is always presented at introduction. People develop stereotypes to judge a person through whatever information is present. They will then associate your name with the name of whatever previous person they met that had the same name or similar name. You'd be treated differently as result than if your name was something else.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
I don't think your name has any affect on how you act or think, but certainly on how you are perceived.

I like my name, first and last, and I have grown to appreciate my middle name, which is slightly unusual here in the States. My first and last name are both monosyllabic and masculine, and aesthetically I think they go together well.

The only real problem is that there aren't many feminine names that seem to go well with my last name, or have "a nice ring" to them, which is unfortunate for any aspiring Mrs. Absurdities out there.

addictedartist

-Ephesians4;20
Local time
Yesterday 11:20 PM
-->
my name rings to my soul, sorry for any other 'non-conformist' INTP's out there who think they are a unique personality despite their name. my last name has a curse on it, my first name has a blessing and my middle name is the same as my grandfather and my godfather and each reflects as aspect of my individuality as prevelant as any aspect of my reality:p

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 1:20 PM
-->
I vaguely remember reading a study about how people with easy to pronounce names are more likely to be considered for a promotion/payrise over someone else.

I haven't used my full name for about 10 years, I prefer the shortened version. I like my last name, which is really rare. It's what most of my friends/colleagues call me.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 5:20 AM
-->
I use my given name mostly for 'very' legal stuff. I make up own names. At some point I was slightly worried I'd mix it up. As 5 different people I met occasionally at a pub I sometimes went to, knew me by different names. And I think I mixed it up a few times. That's no so good. My family knows me by my old name. They have no idea other people know me by a different name. I like my first name, it's the name of an animal, besides this, it's neutral, but a lot of times I find it does not fit to my current mood. I have found as long as I use my last name, the mail find it's way.

Ezro

Couldn't think of a good title...
Local time
-->
I think it does. I was given a name that purposely closely resembles that of my older brother, which is a contributing factor in my inferiority complex toward him and my general somber attitude . Well that and being told by my mother my purpose in life was to be his plaything.

themirror

postm0dern groupie
Local time
-->
I vaguely remember reading a study about how people with easy to pronounce names are more likely to be considered for a promotion/payrise over someone else.

Freakonomics did a chapter on this, positing that names associated with socioeconomic standing influenced people's perception a priori of the candidate. For instance, the name Ashley and George are more typically associated with lower class individuals than names like Elizabeth and William, which find membership in wealthier audiences. Further, they hypothesize that the public's perception of the individual because of his or her name plays a substantial role in determining that person's level of success or failure, thus inducing a positive feedback loop and heightening the effect.

Additionally, ethnic names face considerable discrimination in the U.S. due to racism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGe0CbARDE

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
-->
Freakonomics did a chapter on this, positing that names associated with socioeconomic standing influenced people's perception a priori of the candidate. For instance, the name Ashley and George are more typically associated with lower class individuals than names like Elizabeth and William, which find membership in wealthier audiences. Further, they hypothesize that the public's perception of the individual because of his or her name plays a substantial role in determining that person's level of success or failure, thus inducing a positive feedback loop and heightening the effect.

Additionally, ethnic names face considerable discrimination in the U.S. due to rascism.
I LOVE THOSE BOOKS!!!! I read Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics... both great books on strange statistical matters.

I'm a black woman. My name is pretty plain and when I was younger, let's say 6. I can remember telling my mother I hated my name because it was so plain. In hindsight, I'm rather glad my name didn't have any special pizzazz to it. I like sort of the "forgetability" of it. Except you would think that people could at least spell the Goddamn thing properly! People NEVER spell it T-R-I-C-I-A... they ALWAYS spell it T-R-I-S-H-A..... That I do find annoying as shit...

Sorlaize

Burning brightly
Local time
-->
Does your name have a significant impact on who you are, as in how you think, what you act like?
yeah.

It started with my real first name which is uncommon. It helped me feel special. I chose a very unique online handle which is actually an alter-ego I have consciously driven myself into. Slowly. I've made serious life choices to direct my life, and I'm very near where I set out to be about 4 or 5 years ago.

I've always been very tough on myself, and I'm not sure how much you'd attribute to wanting to be unique / how much to angst, but angst was purely the inspiration for the recent alter ego.

I recently thought about changing my real life name so that I'd be *prompted* - on a (another new, but similar) ethos and set of memories and feelings and.. images that are very real and motivating and.. electric - whenever someone addressed me. It's like NLP, sort of- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

Basically yeah my handle here and on other websites entices certain aspects of my ethos and makes me react a certain way. Not that I realized that when I chose the name. It's very clear and communicative to me even as I picture it now (my username for this post). It's a brand, and I've always expected it to be used for that. (also, it's delusional..)

Fghw

Local time
-->
Ive come to hate when people say my name. However, this likely comes from the negative connotation my name has acquired in my family.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
My first name is very, very ironic considering my lack of belief in Genesis.

-Duxwing

Local time
-->
I'm named after my dad, first, middle, & last (officially a "Jr.").

I doubt it has any sort of conscious impact on me, but I assume it had an indirect effect on me by having an impact on my father. I also happen to look nothing like the guy, being 8 inches taller, thinner, and thus far... less hairy.

I don't think that simply having a name has an effect on any given individual, but do believe that other's perception of that name and their subsequent actions can have a dramatic effect.

Case in point: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57327922/baby-taken-away-from-parents-known-for-nazi-names/

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
For example, I know a David who has always refused to be called Dave. Likewise my name has several forms and there's only one that works.

Yes, I knew someone once named David who felt exactly the same way. And he wasn't a Dave, he was a David. But he had an extroverted friend named Dave, plus an extroverted father named Dave, and that permutation fit them perfectly.

While I wish my name wasn't so common, I'm happy with it in the sense that the name and the nicknames all are palatable to me. There's not something that someone might call me that I feel isn't me to some degree.

My first name is very, very ironic considering my lack of belief in Genesis. -Duxwing

heh. I have an idea of what it might be, then.
Methuselah, right???? *cough*

Additionally, ethnic names face considerable discrimination in the U.S. due to racism.

Yeah, that one's been the object of various studies; for one, people can do the resume test. (Change the name on a resume, and is it still rated the same?)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
A more interesting question, in my opinion, is — for those with weird names.. what were the parents thinking?!

I understand having nonconformist/nontraditional values, but you have to consider that your kid is going to grow up and live in society with that stigma of a name that you assigned to them.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Adam!

God?

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
^Adam!

God?

Yes, my name is Adam, and I have met Eve. I'm not kidding about the second part: one of the therapists at a mental hospital that I went to was named Eve.

-Duxwing

Gusteru1

Sherlock
Local time
-->
One of Froid's theory sais that people have a not so strong but yet noticeable tendecy to choose their jobs according to their names. But I'm not yet shure what carrier stans for my name ,,Catalin" ( Romania) and pretty shure you have no idea for your's too.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Yes, my name is Adam, and I have met Eve. I'm not kidding about the second part: one of the therapists at a mental hospital that I went to was named Eve.

-Duxwing

How was the sex?

Top Bottom