• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

My thoughts, and questions.

Patton

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:32 AM
-->
Hello everyone, I've just discovered this whole personality thing, I've always felt a little different from the people in my surroundings and I never knew why, now I think I do, I'm an INTP. I've been told my whole life that I think to much, analyzing everything to a point where its not healthy. And lately, I've found myself thinking a lot about how people can live their whole lives working the same boring ass job, coming home late in the afternoon, cook dinner, do whatever it is that they do, sleep and then repeat. I just CANT do it, I'm right now in my last year of "high school" and i just don't see a future worth living. I've always been told I'm very smart and its a shame i don't try to do good in school. And I think I have potential too, but lately I've started to question that, because I can't name ONE thing that I am really good at, or have accomplished. And this is really frustrating, I've always thought I was a smart, pretty good looking guy and my life will turn out great. But if i don't actually do anything, accomplish anything or even want
anything I will just become a loser, which doesn't exactly make me more excited to meet the future. I realize how pathetic it is, it should be as simple as "first figure out what it is that I have to do to make a change, then do it", but for some reason it just isn't... These are some of the things that are on my mind like 24/7, but I cant really talk to anyone about any of this, because my friends/family just don't see it this way. I have some questions I would be very thankful if you took some time to answer, thanks.

*Have you ever had thoughts like this?
*If so, did you succeed to get a life that you are happy with?
*Do you have any tips for a young fellow INTP on how to get a descent life?

P.S, English is not my main language so all the grammar-nazis out there, go easy on me ^^

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 1:32 AM
-->
anything I will just become a loser
P.S, English is not my main language so all the grammar-nazis out there, go easy on me

You spelled "loser" correctly. Most people on the internet spell it "looser", which is a mistake I don't understand. Congratulations.

Your thoughts are quite common at your age, and especially common for INTP types. Your biggest mistake would be to assume that if you get a regular job you'll be a drone going back and forth to work. There are plenty of opportunities for flexibility and creative jobs and careers, if you look for them.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:32 PM
-->
Proofreading.

P.S, English is not my main language so all the grammar-nazis out there, go easy on me ^^
Okay I'll leave your grammar alone.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->
Hello everyone, I've just discovered this whole personality thing, I've always felt a little different from the people in my surroundings and I never knew why, now I think I do, I'm an INTP. I've been told my whole life that I think to much, analyzing everything to a point where its not healthy. And lately, I've found myself thinking a lot about how people can live their whole lives working the same boring ass job, coming home late in the afternoon, cook dinner, do whatever it is that they do, sleep and then repeat. I just CANT do it, I'm right now in my last year of "high school" and i just don't see a future worth living.
Great. Enjoy the personality thing. It's a good clue to finding yourself. No you don't want to do the same boring ass job every day. If you will allow me to observe something: you don't see a future out there. How can you? You are just starting out. You are smart and able. It's too early to specialize unless you get very lucky. And even if you did, look at what you would have missed.

I've always been told I'm very smart and its a shame i don't try to do good in school. And I think I have potential too, but lately I've started to question that, because I can't name ONE thing that I am really good at, or have accomplished. And this is really frustrating, I've always thought I was a smart, pretty good looking guy and my life will turn out great. But if i don't actually do anything, accomplish anything or even want
anything I will just become a loser, which doesn't exactly make me more excited to meet the future. I realize how pathetic it is, it should be as simple as "first figure out what it is that I have to do to make a change, then do it", but for some reason it just isn't... These are some of the things that are on my mind like 24/7, but I cant really talk to anyone about any of this, because my friends/family just don't see it this way. I have some questions I would be very thankful if you took some time to answer, thanks.
Here is what I would suggest. Go out there and get experience. Try varied things, a year or so at a time. Use that to get to the next step. You want to see choices which is what you can't see now. Tell me if this sounds right. Can you pursue a higher education? That's why you want good grades now ... to qualify.
I specialized too early. I became a computer engineer without adequate motivation after I joined. Now that I've retired after 30 years at the job, I'm happy I can spread out my interests.

Just as a lark, you could let the grammar-nazis do their thing and THEN tell them your story. Give them back a little of their own morality. Maybe they'll feel guilty.:D

Welcome to this forum.

Nezumi

I wish there was some chocolate pudding in this ho
Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->
Hello everyone, I've just discovered this whole personality thing, I've always felt a little different from the people in my surroundings and I never knew why, now I think I do, I'm an INTP. I've been told my whole life that I think to much, analyzing everything to a point where its not healthy. And lately, I've found myself thinking a lot about how people can live their whole lives working the same boring ass job, coming home late in the afternoon, cook dinner, do whatever it is that they do, sleep and then repeat. I just CANT do it, I'm right now in my last year of "high school" and i just don't see a future worth living. I've always been told I'm very smart and its a shame i don't try to do good in school. And I think I have potential too, but lately I've started to question that, because I can't name ONE thing that I am really good at, or have accomplished. And this is really frustrating, I've always thought I was a smart, pretty good looking guy and my life will turn out great. But if i don't actually do anything, accomplish anything or even want

I remember feeling the same way during my last year of high school. It sucked. Everyone else was getting ready to go to collage and I was terrified of the future. So what I did was to take a break from school, get a job and learned how to live on my own. And while being out of school. I take classes on Coursera.org so that when I do go to collage I have something to show for it my time away. This also let me figure out WHAT I wanted from collage/higher learning without having to pay for it.

I would also spend a ton of time reflecting on what you wanna do. They say money follows love. So do something that you love. And if you love to think, they find something that will let you think.
I finally settled on going to school for natural science. It's something I'm always interested in so I know I'll have a better chance of staying focused. And it's a field that no on can tell me that I think to much.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:32 AM
-->
I didnt really care for anything either. but unlike a lot of people here I also didnt care that i didnt care. and i see no reason to try to find a reason to care

INsTeP

Local time
Today 7:32 AM
-->
If there are NTs in your family I imagine it would get easier. As it is, I dont and it took a long time for me to get where I am now, research in theoretical computer science. I cannot imagine a career which would be more rewarding. Being endlessly curious about every damn thing is a typical INTP trait. Doing many things but not in super-great-detail because of becoming easily bored is also probably an INTP trait. These are not conducive to living in the world which requires that you specialize in one particular subject. Ask yourself :
"What is the one thing I can do 24/7 without getting bored?"
Whatever comes closest (nothing can keep you involved 24/7) is what you should pick as a career choice if job satisfaction is your main criterion. There are other factors such as how much money you will make etc which you will have to figure out on your own. Like the others have said, the best thing to do is try a good many things and see what you naturally gravitate towards. Best of luck.
(PS: My next best career choice would probably be professional bridge player :D )

brandmaus

Local time
Today 7:32 AM
-->
yea I remember having thoughts like these. I sometimes still do, but it feels less overwhelming, at least frequency-wise. I don't have a huge tip, since im not too old myself, so what i'd say is start being more active on searching and finding ur own path/way in life. like simple, yet important stuff. haven't read it anywhere before so far but I think we are as bad at organizing the/our external-world as good we are at it internally. working a bit - just a bit - on that, might be found of great help:) cheers & goodluck with all, pal

Top Bottom