• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Music Game

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
Welcome to the Music Game.

The rules are simple: post 5 songs; 4 of which you like, 1 of which you dislike. The person who guesses correctly which one you dislike, posts the next 5.

I'll start (this one shouldn't be too hard. The one I dislike was such an offense to my ears that I had to turn it off after about 3 seconds):

Justice - Genesis
Yelle - Ba$$in
Vivaldi - Summer (Presto)
Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault
Uppermost - Positive

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 11:14 PM
-->
I'm pretty sure I don't have to listen to any of them (I've only heard of Vivaldi, so the rest of your list is a mystery). The one you don't like is Yelle - Ba$$in

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 5:14 AM
-->
Mary J Blige - Me, myself and I
Eminem - Mosh
God Save the Queen - British National Anthem
Linkin Park - Forgotten
D12 - Purple Pills

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Yesterday 10:14 PM
-->
Mary J Blige - Me, myself and I
Eminem - Mosh
God Save the Queen - British National Anthem
Linkin Park - Forgotten
D12 - Purple Pills

I know you like Linkin Park and Eminem, so it's either Mary J Blige or the National Anthem, and the Anthem feels too obvious so I'll say the Mary J Blige one (also especially since I'm pretty sure the song Me, Myself and I is by Beyonce and not Mary J Blige).

Golden Dawn Arkestra - Clouds
Alt-J - Tessellate
Cortex - Mary and Jeff (Mary et Jeff)
Grimes - Pin
Erlend Øye - Whistler

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
I'm pretty sure I don't have to listen to any of them (I've only heard of Vivaldi, so the rest of your list is a mystery). The one you don't like is Yelle - Ba$$in
I included that one for deceptive effect. Ba$$in is quite a catchy tune.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I know you like Linkin Park and Eminem, so it's either Mary J Blige or the National Anthem, and the Anthem feels too obvious so I'll say the Mary J Blige one (also especially since I'm pretty sure the song Me, Myself and I is by Beyonce and not Mary J Blige).

Alt-J - Tessellate
Grimes - Pin
Erlend Øye - Whistler

One test outta two passed.

Fuck the Queen, lol.

I'd attempt yours, but my device is too shitty to listen.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:14 PM
-->
Justice - Genesis
Yelle - Ba$$in
Vivaldi - Summer (Presto)
Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault
Uppermost - Positive

hmm, I want to say Zara Larsson because it doesn't fit well with the other tunes.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->

Alt-J - Tessellate
Grimes - Pin
Erlend Øye - Whistler

Interesting selection. It seems to me that Grimes - Pin is the one that stands out.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
You showed me, so I guess I'll show you mine. I don't know how to make them text links, so I spoiled it.

If you're in the advanced view just uncheck the box that says "automatically embed media" and the links will show up as text.

Also my guess is same as Lago's. I'm almost certain it's not MGMT/Chromatics/M83, and the Bc Remix is more in line with their sound than the Gvcci Hvcci.

My guess for Cheesums.

Nope. Cortex is rad.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Shit, I didn't know it would be that obvious.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Shit, I didn't know it would be that obvious.

The MGMT/Chromatics/M83 combo was the biggest help. No one likes two of those without liking the third, so it had to be one of the other two.

Took me like 15 seconds of each song to sort it out. (I just guessed you liked the one I liked better)

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I'm going to guess The Glitch Mob for Mr. Bunny Rabbit.

I'm too impatient to wait to be right to put up my thingy. I'll do it the way Reluctantly did it with the songs and the spoilers. Also, Tannhauser, I finally listened to that song with the $ in the title. It was anything but catchy.

I apologize in advance. I don't think I've seen any of these music videos before. Some are god-awful.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->

I went and listened to more than 10 seconds of that Glitch Mob remix and I'm thinking that one now, too.

If it's not that, then it has to be Zeppelin. If it's either one of the other two then I can assure you that you're wrong. Those last two are what kids these days call "dank tunes."

This is a tough mix. You don't strike me as someone who would dig Gogol Bordello, which is precisely why I think you do like Gogol Bordello. (Actually, now that I think about it I might remember you saying you were listening to them a while ago).

First guess is My Sharona. Second is Mellencamp. Third is David Guetta.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->

I'm too impatient to wait to be right to put up my thingy. I'll do it the way Reluctantly did it with the songs and the spoilers. Also, Tannhauser, I finally listened to that song with the $ in the title. It was anything but catchy.

I apologize in advance. I don't think I've seen any of these music videos before. Some are god-awful.

Guetta for sure

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Nope.
I went and listened to more than 10 seconds of that Glitch Mob remix and I'm thinking that one now, too.

If it's not that, then it has to be Zeppelin. If it's either one of the other two then I can assure you that you're wrong. Those last two are what kids these days call "dank tunes."
Zeppelin it is.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Alt-J? I think I remember a Cheesums mentioning their dislike for Alt-J or was that someone else. :confused:

Zeppelin it is.
Wow really? Can I ask why? Btw what do you think of this song: Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Zeppelin it is.

Weeee! This game is fun!

Although I know I'm wrong about Yellow's. She likes My Sharona, I'm sure of it. I'm going to change the order to Guetta first, then Mellencamp, then Sharona.

Alt-J? I think I remember a Cheesums mentioning their dislike for Alt-J or was that someone else. :confused:

Yeah, I absolutely hate Alt-J. I don't think I've ever explicitly said that I loathe them, but I think I have said in the "Songs Stuck in your Head" thread that girls who do like them tend to be bad news for my emotional health.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Quicktwist dislikes the Hollywood Undead song.

didn't even listen to them, so you may all praise me as a minor deity if I'm right, which I believe I am

edit: I listened to a couple seconds of the Matisyahu song and that one actually feels like it might be the one so it'll be my second guess. But Perfect Circle, Mastodon, and Demon Hunter are definitely ones you like

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
Quicktwist dislikes the Hollywood Undead song.

didn't even listen to them, so you may all praise me as a minor deity if I'm right, which I believe I am

edit: I listened to a couple seconds of the Matisyahu song and that one actually feels like it might be the one so it'll be my second guess. But Perfect Circle, Mastodon, and Demon Hunter are definitely ones you like

Hate to break this to you, but its the three libras song by Perfect Circle. I like most of Perfect Circles stuff, but its a hit or miss type of band for me mostly.

I do really like this one though:

https://youtu.be/eDk1P2kjGJ8

Hollywood Undead is a band I really have to be in the mood for, but sometimes it really hits the spot.

Matisyahu is just pretty great overall, though I could prolly find a couple songs of his I don't like.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Damn. I thought I was on to something. I know what you mean about them/him (maynard whatshisname) being hit or miss, though. We had some Puscifer songs in our store playlist and some of them were pretty good but some I just couldn't stand.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
This is a tough mix. You don't strike me as someone who would dig Gogol Bordello, which is precisely why I think you do like Gogol Bordello. (Actually, now that I think about it I might remember you saying you were listening to them a while ago).
First guess is My Sharona. Second is Mellencamp. Third is David Guetta.
Guetta for sure
It's Mellencamp. I can't stand him or Springsteen.

Btw, I've never heard of Guetta. I thought it was a Sia song. That Guetta dude has apparently made other songs that I've heard too.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->
I'm trying to participate but I think the rules of the game sorta went splat. If I've followed the thread right I think it's technically cheeseum's turn.

So far it's been Tann -> Reluctantly -> Lagomorph -> cheeseums

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
I'm trying to participate but I think the rules of the game sorta went splat. If I've followed the thread right I think it's technically cheeseum's turn.

yes let's go with that

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->

yes let's go with that

So it's my turn?

If so then here's another five (if not, then ignore me):

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
@Cheseumpuffs - I guess The Mars Volta - The Widow

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Yeah I think Yellow's got it already. I couldn't get through 10 seconds of it.

@cheeseum
And haha, that 산울림 song makes me laugh. How on earth did you get a hold of that?

(his name could be translated into 'mountain echo' btw; 산 = mountain 울림 = reverberation)

Everything else seems to have the vintage vibe so Mars Volta should be right.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Damn, yeah, I was too obvious. The Mars Volta is the correct answer. I actually think they're very skilled musicians (especially the drummer, if you watch any of their live performances) but my coworker would always put them on in the store and I just got so sick of them because I don't think they're THAT good.

@cheeseum
And haha, that 산울림 song makes me laugh. How on earth did you get a hold of that?

(his name could be translated into 'mountain echo' btw; 산 = mountain 울림 = reverberation)

I actually have their first three albums on vinyl haha.

There's some really fantastic stuff to come out of Korea in the 70s. I started digging through it all when a band I follow on facebook posted a link to Kim Jung Mi and Shin Joong Hyun's song 햇님 (The English title is usually "The Sun" or "Towards the Sun," but the romanization confuses me because it's always "Haenim" but if my understanding is correct the ㅅ on that first syllable should produce a T sound). So I started looking into Shin Joong Hyun and whatnot and I found this record label based out of Seattle that's actually reissued several Korean albums from that time which is how I found Sanullim.

Edit: Also, it's actually kind of funny, I only recently learned that one of the brothers in Sanullim was actually in this kdrama my roommate and I watched a couple years ago.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I actually have their first three albums on vinyl haha.

There's some really fantastic stuff to come out of Korea in the 70s. I started digging through it all when a band I follow on facebook posted a link to Kim Jung Mi and Shin Joong Hyun's song 햇님 (The English title is usually "The Sun" or "Towards the Sun," but the romanization confuses me because it's always "Haenim" but if my understanding is correct the ㅅ on that first syllable should produce a T sound). So I started looking into Shin Joong Hyun and whatnot and I found this record label based out of Seattle that's actually reissued several Korean albums from that time which is how I found Sanullim.

Yeah, that's nice. I'm just perplexed at how I'm learning more of Korean culture outside of Korea, haha.

You are right about the pronunciation, there is somewhat of a silent 't' sound

Edit: Also, it's actually kind of funny, I only recently learned that one of the brothers in Sanullim was actually in this kdrama my roommate and I watched a couple years ago.

Now that you mention it, I do think he does have a brother. I wonder if it's this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggAsaHVcRc

it's a commerical for clash of clans

edit: oh and I do believe it's yellow's turn

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Yeah, that's nice. I'm just perplexed at how I'm learning more of Korean culture outside of Korea, haha.

Not that I really know much about Korean culture as a whole, but from my limited perspective of modern Korean culture a lot of the focus tends to be on either the "here and now" or the very distant past. Like most dramas tend to be set in either current day or like the Joseon dynasty. The pop culture, especially in regards to music, seems to move so fast that decently successful idol groups are almost forgotten as soon as another group makes a more popular song.

Again, I could be way wrong here since I've only viewed a narrow portion of Korean culture, but with how quickly the pop culture moves there it seems like anything from the 50s to early 80s is essentially ancient history but not ancient enough to be culturally significant, y'know? It's easy for some really cool stuff to fall through the cracks like that.

You are right about the pronunciation, there is somewhat of a silent 't' sound

Okay cool, I think I know what you mean.

Now that you mention it, I do think he does have a brother. I wonder if it's this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggAsaHVcRc

it's a commerical for clash of clans

Yep yep, that's the guy! Kim Chang Wan. I think he was the guitarist of the band. (I know the drummer brother died. I don't think the bassist brother has done much since the band, though)

Also yeah, Yellow. Hurry up and go before this thread becomes Korean Culture Appreciation Thread.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
You got it. It was either that or a Poison song.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
I gosh dang better have.

Here's the next 5 - Elephant 6 Edition: That's right folks, you heard correctly. All of the following selections will be songs by bands from the oh-so-famous Elephant 6 Collective and it's up to you to guess which song from this group of similarly-minded/influenced artists I'm not a fan of.

edit: changed a song. Did it quickly though so it shouldn't matter.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
Neutral Milk Hotel. Seems to me to be the one with less of a psychedelic feel than the others.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->

350580cbeb13d7d60bd1f1cd24f72209.jpg

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
@cheeseum

The first one, Fluid by Gerbils? Netural Milk Hotel has somewhat of a cult stats from what I know, and Apples in Stereo too to some degree (and it's made by an expat in Japan). Elf Power has that upbeat from the beginning which I think you'd lean towards, and the last one pretty much says 'this is one of cheeseum's songs'.

Cheeseumpuffs

Local time
-->
Neutral Milk Hotel. Seems to me to be the one with less of a psychedelic feel than the others.

Bingo. I'm really not a huge fan of them (which is heresy to most people familiar with the E6). They have some songs I kind of dig, but on the whole, they're fairly overrated and not my cup of tea.

ITT cheeseums disavows Alt-J and NMH, two of the linchpins of millennial indie music

Apples in Stereo too to some degree (and it's made by an expat in Japan).

What? Robert Schneider's living in Japan?

and the last one pretty much says 'this is one of cheeseum's songs'.

Haha that's actually the one I switched to. I had an OTC song there at first but decided that Circulatory System was more my speed.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I was going to guess Lonely Boy by Black Keys because they are always dripping with pretension, but then I heard that Faker fellow's voice. Jasus, Mory, and Juseph, that man's voice is obnoxious. It's gotta be "Gold".

I can't tell whether this is a favorable or unfavorable reaction... I'm going to assume you're just blown away by the funkadelic groove. I found this version too, it's cute...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzly4fD0YA

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
I was going to guess Lonely Boy by Black Keys because they are always dripping with pretension, but then I heard that Faker fellow's voice. Jasus, Mory, and Juseph, that man's voice is obnoxious. It's gotta be "Gold".

RONG

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->

Man this one's hard. I'm going to have to go with the Woodkid's I Love You. He seems pretty much like a male version of Lana Del Rey. Too imposing. I don't get much of Chet Faker's lyrics (or the song) either but the music video and the chorus gets a pass for me.

Btw Toes is.. just good.

edit: I could see how you can dislike the last one though (Lonely Boy), since I've never seen you post poppish songs like that. But I'll go with Woodkid.

Top Bottom