• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mushroom identification

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 8:12 PM
-->
These grow here and there, quite a lot of them at times. What are they? Can I eat them? I tried feeding it to the cows. One ate them, and seemed to like it. Some others didn't want it.
The are small, maybe 2-4cm high. I think they are the same, but different stage in growth.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 11:12 AM
-->
They're way different, not the same in different stages of growth. However, I've no idea what they are. I'd take it to a Trusted Identifier, if you don't mind. Might need more pics of the gills. Also, where is here? The first one probably isn't poisonous, but the second one could be (it could also not be, but just to be safe).

Nebulous

Local time
Today 2:12 PM
-->

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Not Coprinopsis atramentaria

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Sure it's not that one. Looks way different.

To me it looks more like the Liberty Cap(picture below), as is what I was hoping it was. They are small and have this form of high hat.
post-12932-138186338852.jpg

I'll see if I find some tomorrow and take better pictures. It's raining now. They typically grow at the edges of a cake of old cow poo. So they like fertile soil it seems.

Also, where is here?
Northern hemisphere. 16 hours drive or something from the arctic circle.

I sometimes come across the Amanita muscaria. As is the only mushroom I can identify. But have not dared to eat it. Or anything yet. But I intend to be more brave, and start to eat everything I come across that can be eaten.

Maybe things will be more easy if I get better pictures. It may take a time. As the cows may have eaten all the mushrooms in the field. It's early yet. But I suspect they get high too. If there is a lot of mushrooms they go crazy and brake out in their search to get more. All worked up.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
It's not a liberty cap. Although keying is a good technique and habit I didn't use it, but may have found out anyway. For the first one try, Panaeolus papilionaceus. It's not active but other species in the genus are. You want Panaeolus cinctulus or Pan cyanescens.

The other one probably isn't that good to eat. I think you might have to prepare certain mushrooms if you want cows to eat them.

I'd eat Amanita muscaria. We have those here in varying ranges of potency, plus here are many ways to prepare it. You can remove the toxins and active ingredients and the flesh tastes almost like meat. Anyway I should have known what both of those were. ID'ing fungi can be tricky at first, at least for me.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Panaeolus papilionaceus. Kewl. So that's eatable then. The description fits. But no magic mushroom.

Here are some more pictures. Just outside the door. The white one looks delicious. Seems to be just a ball. All white throughout.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 7:12 PM
-->
Some mushrooms arent edible even if they dont do anything bad to you. I think these are just that. ALthough both look pretty bad. I wouldnt even touch them.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Hello my mushroom friends.

I may have found someting more interesting, This year these grow in huge numbers around the house. 50-100m walk. Are they what I think they are. The are all red with these dots. Shape is different. The cow liked them a whole lot, and came running after me for more.20180910_123054.jpg20180910_133743.jpg
20180910_123022.jpg

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
You already said you come across Amanita muscaria in 2017. It doesn't work for some people while others claim it to be the best thing ever. There are multiple ways to prepare it - you can take the poison out and eat it anyway (the flesh tastes great, like meat - except mushrooms can sometimes absorb the soil's hydrazine and other heavy metals so that may be a concern to you). It's GABAergic, so they'll make you feel drunk or buzzed. There isn't a lot of data out there. They might also cause vivid dreams after inducing a slumber but apparently nobody knows for sure. When I tried them they didn't really work, although the dose could have been low. That's another problem. Don't think a high dose will kill you though, but they should be pretty good.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

...might wanna go easy on that one, or you may end up with a hallucinating cow.
Sometimes it works and sometimes not, depends on which specimens you get. I think it may have been Soma in the Rg Veda, which is supposed to point one towards any Christ, or anything that might be able to be described as ecstasy. It's hardly ever reported any spiritual experiences occur due to ingestion of it, it's mostly a debate whether anyone has had the true experience or not. Most just either enter a deep sleep or it makes their dreams more vivid. It's supposed to have a "stimulant" feel to it, then also a "depressant" stage, with symptoms similar to valium.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I should update this. I didn't get to try it. As I probably was not very focused. I had like one or two days, then the cows came back from wherever they had been and ate them all.

Polaris. I picked like five, and one cow, baby cow, ate them all. No unnormal behaviour. Doesn't seem cows get affected. The was about 25 of these around the houses. And in less then one day, the cows had found them all and eaten them.

Pizzabeak
hehe. Funny you found the ole thread. Been thinking about it? Sorry to say. But I chickened out, somewhat, but also got out competed by the cows. I'll try again this year.

This is imo a very fairy mushroom. Alice in Wonderland ate it. So I think I should too. You say you ate them, but didn't work. Debate about the true experience. What is a true experience?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Started this post a few days ago but am busy, will finish later.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Hey! There's an app called Seek by iNaturalist that is pretty good at identifying things, or at least giving you a good idea. It works for fungi, plants, animals, and lichen. You hold your phone camera up to it and move it around, I think it matches it with tons of other pictures to ID stuff.
My general motto is better safe than sorry when it comes to mushrooms... I know someone whose parents were masters at identifying mushrooms, had done so safely for decades, got one wrong and both died.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Hey! There's an app called Seek by iNaturalist that is pretty good at identifying things, or at least giving you a good idea. It works for fungi, plants, animals, and lichen. You hold your phone camera up to it and move it around, I think it matches it with tons of other pictures to ID stuff.
My general motto is better safe than sorry when it comes to mushrooms... I know someone whose parents were masters at identifying mushrooms, had done so safely for decades, got one wrong and both died.
It’s generally pretty hard to misidentify a mushroom, even if it’s one you haven’t seen before at all. I don’t think they were masters.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I found some big mushrooms yesterday, not sure what they are or if they're the same species. Both were along the side of the road, the bigger one on the side of a stump and the smaller in a pile of wood chips.
(Northeast USA.)

Lots of pics
Found the CD outside too lol it adds an idea of size tho

Big one

Cap

Spore print
-

Other one

Top Bottom