• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Messiness

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 5:39 AM
-->
We've all seen the internet meme about Einsteins desk on the day of his death, right?
It does bare a striking resemblance to my desk on any given day. Right now I have around 11 piles of papers, magazines and books surrounding me. Including some stuff that has been there for several months and some piles of things I am in the middle of doing. There is also a broken USB hoover, a packed lunch box from lunch time I haven't cleared, a load of note paper and very bedraggled looking A2 desk pad under my keyboard that has numerous tea, coffee and beetroot stains (and some I am yet to identify). I appear to still have my Highway code book I used to pass my driving test over a year ago and (for reasons I have yet to ascertain) a large box containing 8 packs of cornflakes someone left there for me last month. My ISTJ boss is frequently urked by it. "Messy desk, messy mind!" he will say. I try, but I just can't work without all my piles of various crap. I know what it all is.

My house is the same. Anywhere there could be a pile of unsorted junk, there probably is. It horrifies any S type that comes into my home. It's messy, but pretty much clean though. I just don't consider the box of parts for a Raspberry Pie robot I'm about build unhygienic so don't need to remove them from the kitchen side until I build it. And I will get round to sorting the left over computer parts from the PC I built in April; I might need them again though because people always ask me to build PC's for them (I'm on the forth one this year).

Is this really a common thing among INTP's? It just plain doesn't bother me. It bothers me when it's away and I can't find it when I need it.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 6:39 AM
-->
My desk looks like shit, for sure.

I don't know if it's good or bad. From experience at work though, it is often people who are obsessed with tidiness of their desk who produce the worst product (computer code in my case).

To me this tidiness just seems like a way of convincing oneself and others that one has things under control. Kind of like when you study and convince yourself you're doing a good job by taking a shitload of notes instead of really focusing on the material.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm messy but I'm not filthy. I get rid of any organic contaminants and hygiene is quite important to me.

If you entered my space it would be messy, there are stacks of books, piles of notes or electronic devices scattered around, a number of cardboard boxes that I didn't bother unpacking since i moved in several months ago (there's really no point to unpacking since I have no better way of storing what's inside and the aesthetic doesn't bother me), but you'd generally never see any leftover food, dirty clothes or dishes or anything revolting like that, I also vacuum the floor and wet cloth my desk to get rid of the hair and dust every week or so.

I see no point in tidiness other than improving health and keeping the working surface operable and comfortable.

WhatWasThat

Local time
Today 12:39 AM
-->
^ Yep same here. I have good hygeine/cleanliness but my desk, my room, etc are a mess or at least would appear that way to many. I know where everything is though, and have a sort of organized chaos that makes sense to no one except me. If I actually organized things in a "normal" way I wouldn't be able to find stuff anymore.

I also have tons of cables everywhere between my computer gear, audio gear, guitar gear, and piano gear.

Rixus

Local time
-->
This what I mean. Organised chaos is great way to describe my desk. OK, so the coffee and beetroot stains aren't very hygienic; but I did clean those this morning. But every one of my piles of crap has a purpose and I know what it's there for. I admit, though, I do occasionally find something in one them that should have been done a week ago or that I thought was lost.

I do argue about my house. It's not dirty - I frequently clean. I just don't sort junk as it's already where I need it. Put it away and I have no idea where it's gone.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:39 PM
-->
I'm messy because I have too much shit that I should realistically throw awaym

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:39 PM
-->
Not really that messy but S types might say something is wanting. Luckily I have roommates who end up cleaning a few days a week so the spaces look fine. I still haven't fully unpacked in my room for various reasons so it looks unkempt but I know where all my stuff is. I've noticed when there are lots of Ns around messes can occur until someone finally decides to clean it up so it isn't really that big of a deal and all the same anyway just sensors can make a bigger deal out of it and dictate what needs to be done about it sooner. However, clean spaces are important. There's nothing like having to move a few things around when you decide to do something, usually on a desk or a counter. This one time I thought my desk was messy but it ended up actually being pretty organized. I do need to do some annual spring cleaning though and dispose of a bunch of crap I've accumulated over the years that's just taking up space. I guess. I have a pretty good eye for design it turns out and so can tell when and how areas can be improved upon. As it is there's a roommate who keeps putting stuff back because "that's where it's supposed to go". He's steadily learning though. They always think they're right because they do something but don't seem to understand any underlying reasoning behind it. But what's worse is he's now copying me and taking on my habits so he's getting a little messy and disorganized himself. It was better when he was anal about cleaning. And I'm sure a lot of it is hoarding stuff you plan on taking as a hobby but never getting around to for want of time. The question is are you better off getting rid of that or keeping it for maybe making the time to do so? Well, that's what yard sale are for. And with Christmas coming up once again we need to move away from a more materialistic culture into one valuing other things although it can still be cool to have some stuff and collectibles for the amount of happiness it can increase in people.

Rixus

Local time
-->
Pizzabeak, that does sound messy by ISTJ standards, at least. I do know what you mean - when my INFP sister is left in my house to look after my kids, she keeps tidying it up but I know where things are. If my ISF mother in law is left there, I hate it because I'll find something I need two months later at the back of a cupboard I don't use and why is it there? Or she'll make out I don't clean because paper work and piles of junk are not sorted - but they are not dirty. And then she reorganises stuff. And my ISTP BF keeps telling me she can't stand the untidy exercise equipment in the corner of the living room - but it goes there because i pull it out frequently to use. It's practical.

I think mess actually offends their senses because they can't help focusing on it. Like they need these little details cleared to concentrate. I've noticed they seem to minimalist design their living spaces, and then jazz the sensory up with scented things and stuff. And there I am, things here all have a purpose. Nothing is here just to look pretty.

And yes, I do intend to use most of this junk. I only just collected all the stuff for my robot (it's a planned father/son bonding thing to make an autonomous Terminator with my boy. I think finish it with living tissue, but he thinks mimetic poly-alloy is the way to go). I will do it soon, but have other things to do first. But I will clear a lot out for Christmas. I'm just a hoarder - I don't like letting go of stuff I might need some day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:39 PM
-->
Besides an estp and entj that I've typed, I would say most people are messy. It might be the car, the bedroom, the kitchen, or the desk, but someone will be messy in at least one aspect. I'm certain it has nothing to do with J/P, though perhaps S or F types are more (hypo)critical about messiness.

I suffer from lack of energy and forgetfulness sometimes but I compensate by preferring minimalism.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Mess and disorganisation irritate me, they are inefficient and sloppy.

Yet they plague me.

I'll spend a hour cleaning and organising my space, efficiently , put everything as it should be..

But before you know it, I've got to be somewhere, I'm late, I cant find the most obvious thing I fucking need, I have to ransack the entire gaff looking for this thing.. I cant find the bloody thing anywhere, fuck this shit, everything gets grabbed and strewn about the place in frustration and haste, I stand there pissed off at myself , and put my hands in my pockets... What's this in my pocket? Oh, only the bloody thing I've been looking for. Every god damn time, I could have sworn I searched that pocket...

Now, look at the state of this place, pfft.

*Gets back, sees mess... pff. Right, well, its all or nothing so are we doing the house work, going out, or slobbing it up?

Slobbing it up.

Grabs book, lights spliff, eats munch, uses any surface apart from self as bin. Falls asleep in slobbish stupor - is faced with same choices tomorrow.

Same pattern follows with paperwork too.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Mess and disorganisation irritate me, they are inefficient and sloppy.

Yet they plague me.

I'll spend a hour cleaning and organising my space, efficiently , put everything as it should be..

But before you know it, I've got to be somewhere, I'm late, I cant find the most obvious thing I fucking need, I have to ransack the entire gaff looking for this thing.. I cant find the bloody thing anywhere, fuck this shit, everything gets grabbed and strewn about the place in frustration and haste, I stand there pissed off at myself , and put my hands in my pockets... What's this in my pocket? Oh, only the bloody thing I've been looking for. Every god damn time, I could have sworn I searched that pocket...

Now, look at the state of this place, pfft.

*Gets back, sees mess... pff. Right, well, its all or nothing so are we doing the house work, going out, or slobbing it up?

Slobbing it up.

Grabs book, lights spliff, eats munch, uses any surface apart from self as bin. Falls asleep in slobbish stupor - is faced with same choices tomorrow.

Same pattern follows with paperwork too.

you use pockets??? I never would have thought..

Then again, you are a stoner, so it kinda makes sense I guess.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
you use pockets??? I never would have thought..

Then again, you are a stoner, so it kinda makes sense I guess.

Hm, I'm sure you are the second person to ask me about pockets in as many days.. Is pocket usage not a typically international thing?

Or is it a sex thing?

A lot of womens clothes aren't adequately equipped with pockets..

But I do use pockets a lot, and so shop thusly.

I'm always on the move, so it's not uncommon to see me with a laptop bag or sports bag, but I don't use ladies hand or hang bags.

My pockets are usually full of stuff, stoner stuff.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Hm, I'm sure you are the second person to ask me about pockets in as many days.. Is pocket usage not a typically international thing?

Or is it a sex thing?

A lot of womens clothes aren't adequately equipped with pockets..

But I do use pockets a lot, and so shop thusly.

I'm always on the move, so it's not uncommon to see me with a laptop bag or sports bag, but I don't use ladies hand or hang bags.

My pockets are usually full of stuff, stoner stuff.

yeah, its more of a sex thing. Most females don't have pockets so they overcompensate by carrying around a bag with way more stuff than can fit in your pockets.

I've always been pretty minimalistic when it comes to carrying stuff with me. I just carry what I need - Usually just a wallet and a tool or something, like a lighter and keys and occasionally change if I am feeling broke.

Rixus

Local time
-->
I can't imagine life without pockets. I've been known to buy combat trousers for the additional pocket space.

And I can't say I've ever bat an eye at a woman using pockets. Perhaps we British are more forward thinking.

Rixus

Local time
-->
QuickTwist - What are you like for tidiness? The only XSTP I know keeps her house utterly spotless. Absolutely completely spotless like I've never seen a house kept. Considering she's a single parent of 3 just like me (which is usually my excuse; but to be fair I'm a lazy messy SOB regardless of kids.)

I think as Sinny explains it - the fact that I can't get through my kitchen due to the washing bin, clean clothed spewing out of the tumble dryer which I have to search through but haven't put away, and the shopping bags from last night are irksome. But I just can't be bothered.

I'd better get started on it - said XSTP friend is coming here in a few hours to help me repaint my living rooms.

I need more coffee first, though. There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I can't imagine life without pockets. I've been known to buy combat trousers for the additional pocket space.

And I can't say I've ever bat an eye at a woman using pockets. Perhaps we British are more forward thinking.

Of course we are xD

Rixus

Local time
-->
Never before have I had a conversation where in which the accepting women using pockets was considered forward thinking.

Well, my friend did not come today, but I managed one living room and hallway myself. And I found two remote controls and an electric toothbrush i thought were lost when I moved the settees . I'm trying to find the motivation to do the other room. I think I'll try - and just paint around the book collection. You can't see that wall through them all anyway.

baccheion

Local time
Today 1:39 AM
-->
I noticed a lot less mess when I began living by myself. I started in a clean, empty apartment, and it stayed that way.

I'm not explicitly about organizing, cleaning, or anything along those lines, but I do it from time-to-time. This tends to keep any mess to a minimum.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:09 PM
-->
I recently threw out all of the crap that has been plaguing me for the last decade. I've never felt better.

I wouldn't call myself neat, but I'm gradually becoming more organised. My floor is clear and has been for months. My desk has crap on it, but it's functional crap that has all been used within the last few days and is likely to be used again shortly. There are still areas of my room that accumulate junk beyond what's immediately functional, but it's about two square metres worth rather than all of it.

I used to think that being organised was stupid, because you had to spend lots of time thinking about mundane shit like where to put your pens. But once you've made the investment, you spend a helluva lot less time thinking about this stuff because you just know where everything is and where it goes. It saves brain space for more important things.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
What has migrated into my room since I last cleaned it two days ago : 3 cups (one with coffee, one with tea, and one with green tea) , 3 glasses (each half filled with water) , one saucer, one bowl, one yogurt pot and one banana skin.

What has migrated to the floor: rizla, every where... two packets of tobacco and just yesterday's clothes and my pyjama bottoms :angel:

Spose I'll get onto that right now .. sigh..

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:39 AM
-->
I dislike clutter, too much visual stimuli.

Rixus

Local time
-->
Only one days worth of clothes? Was that right now, or now in a minute, as we say over here.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Erm... I think I got on it in like 10 minutes or so.

I remember having a fag, posting something else, and debating if there was anything more fun I could do before...

I couldn't think of anything fun, (because I'd ran out of weed), so I got straight on it, and then some other tasks.

Just reloaded, so I can have fun again now.. or at least when I'm finished with this task at hand.

- in regards to the washing, I'm living out of my travel bag. So I only have 3 changes to alternate between.

I'm not too messy these days, as I travel a lot.

I've not kept my own place since 2015, that was a different story... I function more efficiently when I'm not alone... if I'm alone, I typically stagnant.

Rixus

Local time
-->
10 minutes is pretty good. This is an exam of what occurs when I live alone. This is a photo of my kitchen side as arrive home from work. Gonna have to clear it a little to make dinner. But I will still struggle for space for plates. As you can see, there's no dirt as such:
38bcea1f5a181e0a1d5010d085b3c4e4.jpg

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Clutter offends me, I estimate that 60 or 80% of all that, if it were mine, would be out of sight... or at least neatly stacked into corners.

Rixus

Local time
-->
I estimate 60-80% needs to be thrown away. It's on my list of things to do. I'm putting some away now while dinner cooks. Why do I have a roll of bubble wrap?

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I dunno, but I want it.

Rixus

Local time
-->
There doesn't appear to be much left and I just threw it. Wherever that came from.

Don't know why I said that. It's not like you can pop over to grab it.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 1:39 AM
-->
I was literally just about to start a new thread on this called "Do you relate with the concept of "organized mess"?", but thankfully I found this, which is much more enlightening.

My room is disorganized. Yet, I either know -exactly- where everything is, or am able to find it if I look for it.

If someone else came in, they would likely automatically think negative things of me I probably can't imagine.

Yet, there are things that work and are highly convenient, upon close inspection.

My bed is the cleanest part of my room, then my desk. I intentionally put things like dirty dishes on the floor so I am forced to clean them when I take food breaks, and the sight of them doesn't interfere with my thinking. So the most disorganized parts are the corners of the room where I have compartmentalized boxes and bags.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 7:39 AM
-->
Mu surroundings tend to just turn into a mess all the time. I hate it tho. I like it when things are clean and organized, it just feels better mentally to have a clean well organized room.

-.- sadly I really suck at maintaining the level of organization that I crave, so I tend to clean up, then it falls apart, then I clean it up again.

:in-love: I'd like to have someone who can maintain an easthetically pleasing, comfy and clean interiour environment. ;) super sexy quality in any person.

Top Bottom