• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Mental illness on the forum

Animekitty

I am all of my perception (Sally 666)
Local time
Today, 07:51
It was mentioned that since so many people on the forum have a mental illness that this forum is really a mental illness forum. Now I am not making this thread to harass anyone, this is not a witchhunt. I am just curious how the forum is run knowing so many people have such conditions here. My condition has been diagnosed as schizoaffective disorder. I've been to the hospital several times. I've had several times where my condition has affected my activity on the forum in a disruptive many. I am grateful he mods were understanding of this. My experiences can be manic and I do not always have self-control. But rectify things as I can.

This thread is here to share experiences of those on the forum that wish to discuss. Please do not mention others, not in the thread.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today, 06:51
Most people don’t use inferior Fe, and also use Fi in any regard instead. If you’re INTP dominant Ti = inferior Fe. That’s pretty much all there is to it; it’s that simple.

Grayman

Team Ignorant
Local time
Most people don’t use inferior Fe, and also use Fi in any regard instead. If you’re INTP dominant Ti = inferior Fe. That’s pretty much all there is to it; it’s that simple.
... Looks like something a crazy person would write!

moody

Local time
Okay, I'll bite! Don't want to give my actual diagnosis, but I'll share some ways it has affected my life:

Don't have any disorders classified as mental, but I have a neurological one that can comparable symptoms. I have chronic sleep disturbances that have made me frighten roommates. I've never sleep-walked or trashed in my sleep, but I have started screaming at someone many times when I've been struggling to wake up, but am still sort of dreaming. Before I was diagnosed properly, a psychiatrist thought I was bipolar, had ADHD, and was depressed. I can appear highly irrational my thoughts because when I've gotten bad, I get unable to trace my thoughts so I latch desperately onto the conclusions and throw all my faith into the knowledge that I HAD thought it through but could never remember the process. For example, I knew not to believe the therapist's diagnoses because the way I thought and what I wanted wasn't connected with the way I felt, but I only appeared to have muted denial and emotional instability. (These symptoms started my senior year of high school...you can imagine how impossible my math class got when I could never re-track my thoughts...) Until I was diagnosed and started getting treated, I didn't notice that I'd stopped having emotions or the extent to which I micromanaged myself in order to survive. I had developed severe ODD symptoms that I've since been able to clamp down (mostly). I still don't acknowledge the ways my life is much harder than others', for my own sake. Otherwise, I'd get too spiteful for the way people have treated me when I was going above and beyond to try and do what they wanted to.

I'm glad I'm the way I am, because I've learned that no one knows my situation better than I do, and no one will help unless I figure out specifically what to ask for and how. No one will give you the benefit of the doubt. I put too much faith on other's listening skills before, and I was less able to cope when I was struggling and someone shrugged off my problems and told me to "suck it up."

Daddy

Redshirt
Local time
Today, 09:51
Maybe you INTPs just need a little "daddy" to help you out. :xen-wink:

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today, 14:51
I work around my issues as well as I can. I try to do the best most of the time. I dont know if I really did the best I could, but I try. I am schizoid, but I try to be social. I have bad memory, but I practice my memory everyday. I have trouble focusing, but I try keeping with activity as long as I can, and not divert my attention... I developed a lot of useful skills, that probably normal people dont need. In the end it may be even helpful in ways that makes my performance a little better than average.

I stick to what works and what doesnt I let go. I always evaluate my progress in terms of good or bad and terrible or much better.

I dont expect people to understand my situation so I never share my problems with anyone. I dont even bother my psychiatrist, because of all people she seems the most clueless. I trust my instincts on this and I work the way I think is best for me and people around me. I dont need sympathy or empathy for my condition nor do I want to bother anyone with my problems. Yes I do read about it and do my reasearch and I like reading on the themes of mental illness as well as watch vids on youtube and such, but I dont take it too seriously. I mean who knows. As far as I know officially there is no cure for my conditions, however I think I can work around my shortcomings in many practical ways.

It is a struggle, but I think the only person who can help me the best is me - myself. I know I needed help before, but now at this moment I do best on my own. I know where I am at and I know how to handle my self. I imagine most normal people dont have to struggle as much with simple things as I do, but thats life. I am basically a cripple, but honestly I think if someone starts using excuses and ways to blame the illness for shortcomings it becomes much harder to work on yourself and make honest effort.

Bottom line I work on solutions to my problems and dont look for excuses. True there are things that normal people can do and I just cant. It bothers me, but not to any greater level to be workedout about it.

moody

Local time
I work around my issues as well as I can. I try to do the best most of the time. I dont know if I really did the best I could, but I try. I am schizoid, but I try to be social. I have bad memory, but I practice my memory everyday. I have trouble focusing, but I try keeping with activity as long as I can, and not divert my attention... I developed a lot of useful skills, that probably normal people dont need. In the end it may be even helpful in ways that makes my performance a little better than average.

I stick to what works and what doesnt I let go. I always evaluate my progress in terms of good or bad and terrible or much better.

I dont expect people to understand my situation so I never share my problems with anyone. I dont even bother my psychiatrist, because of all people she seems the most clueless. I trust my instincts on this and I work the way I think is best for me and people around me. I dont need sympathy or empathy for my condition nor do I want to bother anyone with my problems. Yes I do read about it and do my reasearch and I like reading on the themes of mental illness as well as watch vids on youtube and such, but I dont take it too seriously. I mean who knows. As far as I know officially there is no cure for my conditions, however I think I can work around my shortcomings in many practical ways.

It is a struggle, but I think the only person who can help me the best is me - myself. I know I needed help before, but now at this moment I do best on my own. I know where I am at and I know how to handle my self. I imagine most normal people dont have to struggle as much with simple things as I do, but thats life. I am basically a cripple, but honestly I think if someone starts using excuses and ways to blame the illness for shortcomings it becomes much harder to work on yourself and make honest effort.

Bottom line I work on solutions to my problems and dont look for excuses. True there are things that normal people can do and I just cant. It bothers me, but not to any greater level to be workedout about it.
I don't have the same condition, but I completely understand where you're coming from about how you approach managing yourself/your symptoms. Trying to find someone to give you guidance or having to explain yourself is way more stressful than trusting yourself to think. (For me, anyway). It can be really hard to find decent psychiatrists that you work well with...I wish more psychiatrists were actually good at active listening, and weren't as reckless.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Today, 07:51
I hear walkie-talkie chatter all the time and swear I always see similar cars follow me (American models, clean cut and square looking male drivers late 20s to early 40s). Sometimes I think I'm imagining their intentions and routines. If I am that mentally ill then it probably does no help staying up beyond 24 hours.

moody

Local time
I hear walkie-talkie chatter all the time and swear I always see similar cars follow me (American models, clean cut and square looking male drivers late 20s to early 40s). Sometimes I think I'm imagining their intentions and routines. If I am that mentally ill then it probably does no help staying up beyond 24 hours.
That’s what will happen when you’re sleep deprived. Your brain starts slipping into REM while your awake, and you start dreaming.

Marbles

Local time
Today, 15:51
Could be good to talk to someone about that, mate... Sounds very stressful.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today, 14:51
I think there is lot of irrational stuff about mental illness going on.
First of all its this idea that mental illness can be systematically classified and dealt with in certain way. While it might hold true to some cases each case has its own specifics.
Second its the stigma and people unwilling to talk about it.
Third its the idea that mental illness equals insanity.
Fourth that mentally ill people cant take responsability. Which is bad, because some mentally ill people really believe it and never take responsability for their actions.
FIth its the idea that mental illness is incurable, because some psychiatric paper said so.
Six that everything about mental illness bad. Narcissistic people have qualities that are also good. Its the bad qualities of narcissism that get attention. Psychopathic people are only seen from the moral focus, but not the other qualities, probs because thats what triggers most hate. Paranoia is seen as bad, but I know people who have these patterns and they can really pick up on things that other people just dont see. There are sometimes + sides to mental illness, its not all totally bad.

Management and social life. Most mental illness impairs social function of person. It can be depression and it can be anxiety, or anorexia or retardation or autism. People with mental illness are huge drag on society, but thats not, because it has to be that way, but its mostly like that, because people are allround superficial and happy ignoring other people. So when it comes to being a little helpful its a major calamity. EIther people try to help, but really have no skill and do the exact opposite or people plain and simple cant be bothered. People also worry about calling out people with mental problems. Kids are much more direct. They see something and they say what they think. You are gay, You are stupid, YOu are annoying as fuck etc. When people with mental illness go about their life people tip toe around it until it happens and they have a major breakdown and people saw it mile away, but now its too late.

There is also this thing that people have hard time establishing boundries be it in work or family and so on. SO its one sided. EIther the person gets away with bad behaviour or they get in situations where they are completely abused.
The less info there is about these things the less understanding the people are. I mean its not rocket science. Even introverts have trouble fitting in extrovert oriented societies. Its shame that so many societies cant handle differences of people.

Top Bottom